• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Anthology of Victoria AARs - open ended poll

• Europe Ablaze MP vanilla 1.03b AAR - Blitzkrieg

Votes: 5 11,6%
  • Into the West - coz1

Votes: 12 27,9%
  • Ireland, Awake! - democratickid

• The Golden Nation- California (VIP) AAR - DerKaiser

Votes: 9 20,9%
  • A Special Providence - Director

Votes: 19 44,2%
  • "The Footsteps of Illustrious Men"- USA GC AAR - Estonianzulu

Votes: 11 25,6%
  • Empire Under Heaven ~ Zhonguo (VIP) AAR - jeffg006

Votes: 7 16,3%
  • The End Is Not Yet: MP 900-year game - King of Men

• The Revenge of the Bear! A BeAARhug just for you! - Mishgan

• Power By Production v 2.0 - A VIP:R 0.1 Prussia AAR - OHgamer

• The World is Not Enough, a German WW1 AAR - Quirinus308

• Fire Warms the Northern Lands -- A Prussian AAR - Rensslaer

Votes: 18 41,9%
  • Carefully Applied Force: A Prussian AAR - robou

Votes: 10 23,3%
  • The Harp and Crown: An Irish AAR - RossN

Votes: 14 32,6%
  • Libertad o Muerte! - AARgentina - Treppe

Votes: 7 16,3%
  • The Presidents: Clay to Smith (1836-1920) - volksmarschall

Votes: 16 37,2%
  • Times of Troubles; The story of Russia in the Great War - Wannabe Tatar

• Total voters

coz1

GunslingAAR
29 Badges
May 16, 2002
hearthehurd.typepad.com
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Three plus years ago when I was still a mod around here, I started a couple of polls to honor the AARs of some of the more fallow areas of AARland. You can see the Anthologies for Europa Universalis II and the original Hearts of Iron by following those links. And you can still vote on them now, should you wish to do that. Looking at it recently, I realized it is likely time to do the same for the original Victoria (not to mention CK1 and HoI2, but we will get to that.) With the release of subsequent games, those forums are fairly well done (though not completely) and ready for a look at those AARs that perhaps "made a mark." Victoria was the third major period game released during these earlier years (starting in 2004) and it seems about time.

To be sure, this is not so much a poll to judge what is the best or even most popular, though the manner in which I selected them is very much guided by those usual techniques. As I did with the previous two polls, I looked at the top ten in both views and replies and then opened the list to the top 20 and added any that landed on both lists. It is surely imperfect, but seems the most objective way to see what AARs might be considered an exemplar of that particular forum. There are obviously others and as I suggested with the other polls, I would think many would love to hear what additional AARs might be suggested.

For now, let us look at what AARs found their way onto this list. There are 17 and each one special.

Europe Ablaze MP vanilla 1.03b AAR
(Blitzkrieg‎)

Into the West
(coz1‎)

Ireland, Awake!
(demokratickid‎)

The Golden Nation- California (VIP) AAR
(DerKaiser‎)

A Special Providence
(Director‎)

"The Footsteps of Illustrious Men"- USA GC AAR
(Estonianzulu‎)

Empire Under Heaven ~ Zhonguo (VIP) AAR
(jeffg006‎)

The End Is Not Yet: MP 900-year game
(King of Men‎)

The Revenge of the Bear! A BeAARhug just for you!
(Mishgan‎)

Power By Production v 2.0 - A VIP:R 0.1 Prussia AAR
(OHgamer‎)

The World is Not Enough, a German WW1 AAR
(Quirinus308‎)

Fire Warms the Northern Lands -- A Prussian AAR
(Rensslaer‎)

Carefully Applied Force: A Prussian AAR
(robou‎)

The Harp and Crown: An Irish AAR
(RossN‎)

Libertad o Muerte! - AARgentina
(Treppe‎)

The Presidents: Clay to Smith (1836-1920)
(volksmarschall‎)

Times of Troubles; The story of Russia in the Great War
(Wannabe Tatar‎)​

As with the other polls, this will be an open ended thing lasting as long as the forum exists and you may vote for as many as you like rather than just one. [A mod will come by and helpfully attach the poll when they get the chance.] Over time, this will be moved to the Victoria AAR subforum and stickied for any newcomer to read and research should they wish. That's why this is called an anthology rather than best or anything other. It is not an award. I hope it to be a good place for future members to see and head off to read said AARs if they are curious about the past or previous works. And once again, please feel free after you voted to offer your own top 15 or more, or at least some AARs that deserve to be considered in such an argument.

Take a look at the offered works and give support to those that inspired you...made you laugh, think or learn better to play the game...or those that tickle you now many years after the fact...give your vote to those AARs that you feel best represent the AARs of the original Victoria.

I hope you have fun reading these old works and perhaps remembering them if you've been around long enough. If you are a newer member joined since many of these were ended, I hope you enjoy the look back. If anything, I hope those that take the time to look at these AARs enjoy a look back at the history of this forum as each were instrumental in creating the place that we inhabit today.

(As mentioned, depending on how active this gets, I am certainly willing to do the same for CK1 and HoI2, as they too are likely overshadowed by their newer iterations. We will see. I should also mention that as with all such things, a writAAR that was banned does not get to participate so you may notice one not in the mix. Sad, but as stated in the musical Big River, "You pays you money, you takes you choice.")

Happy reading and perhaps these AARs inspire you to...Write On! :)

Last edited:
Because I could not remember which ones I had read and not read, I voted for all just to be sure.

But I do recognize a few true gems... ;)
If someone wants to discover about which gems I am speaking of, go and read. :cool:

I just needed to get this out of the way since I don't think I ever mentioned this, so this is directed to coz1, "Into the West" was one of the first AARs I ever came across back in late 2006/early 2007 when I was randomly looking up tips for a few Paradox games I had just come to own and I was captivated by the whole notion of AARs for video games. It was one of a handful of AARs (almost exclusively in Victoria and HoI & HoI2) that eventually brought me into registration.

Not to mention having been one of those non-registered lurking readers who never got to leave a comment - the AAR left an indelible influence on how I fancy narratives (as well as histories) as the means to conduct an AAR. In so many ways, Saints and Angels was my attempt to emulate your masterpiece. Although I guess I should stick to history-books seeing that is where I have seen my greatest success and it's ironically what I do for a living now. I feel a little bit awkward realizing that "The Presidents" is probably the only AAR on this list of many magisterial works that is not complete! :huh:

Ah well, I second Enewald's motion, once I saw the list and recognized so many names and titles that I read through, I couldn't help but smile and think of the memories and the influences that so many leave on the rest of us. Magisterial is the one word that defines many of these works! Time to re-read a few classics I think. :cool:

Coz1, thanks for doing this! It's a great way to show what people were interested in reading when Vic1 was the flagship game of the period.

I recognized more of these than I thought I would - and as volksmarschall says, it is time to go do some reading.

Wonderful to see some activity here. And especially wonderful to see some already going back to read some of these works.

And volksmarchall, thank you for the kind words on Into the West. One of the greatest compliments I've ever received was when someone said they finally signed up after reading something I wrote. That's what I did after reading Ariel, MrT, Lord Durham and so many others so many years ago. Passing it forward and all that. It's a great feeling. I feel rather humbled that one of mine ended up on a list built of over 10 years of replies and views. Many of these are epic and I recall reading so many back when they were running. Fond memories of some really great work (and some still going. ;))

This was a tricky choice, so I am glad this was an open poll where I could choose more than one AAR. A lot of good, old classics here… This makes me want to go back and re-read some of these classics :)

Now just to decide which one I should start re-reading…

Great idea coz. It's a real stroll down memory lane seeing some of those names and titles. I'd suggest though that it may be worth incorporating the Victoria Cross winners into the list; in theory these are some of the most notable AARs on the forum. (And I don't just say that because mine is amongst them. Honest)

Yeah,would be nice to see the AARs that finished first in that award included in this list.

To be sure, this is not so much a poll to judge what is the best or even most popular, though the manner in which I selected them is very much guided by those usual techniques. As I did with the previous two polls, I looked at the top ten in both views and replies and then opened the list to the top 20 and added any that landed on both lists.

This thread is an alternative look at the AARs for Victoria, based on views and comments. The Victoria Cross winners were selected by a different criteria, hence there is not a perfect match-up. But there are some fine works there - worth a look (as if I had any free time now :), but hey - I guess food and sleep are optional :) ).

Comrade Om, I fondly remember your Sins of the Fathers and So Far From God. Both worth a read (or a re-read).

Indeed, I utilized a different method here to see what was the most read and commented upon after ten years. Those great AARs that won awards already have a place in the librAARy to see and while just as worthy, if not more, it was not quite what I was going for here. As I said at the start, however, I would love to hear what other AARs those that recall the era remember and enjoyed!

I recall yours too, ComradeOm and very fondly. Pleased to see more looks at this list. We are almost as many voters as the original HoI poll now. And remember, you can vote for as many as you wish, not just one. More than anything, however, just look back and find a good read. :)

We have been running the poll all year and the votes continue to come in. We may have stalled a bit but the beauty here is that one can vote whenever they come across this list (and vote for as many as they want.) For a time this will remain here but eventually this list will need to move over to the original Vickie forum. And make way for a couple of other polls to come, namely for the original CK! Yes, HoI2 is coming but first things first.

While awaiting the counting one must do and the needed mod approval (yes, anyone must and should do this) take one more look at these great Victoria AARs and perhaps ask some to look into not just these but so much more that the original game had to offer and those writers that were willing to offer such. These writAARs and more made this section of the forum a wonderful place and continue to do so in many ways.

Take a look and vote if you have the time to read (or have already read) and get ready for the Anthology of Crusader Kings AARs!

This sure brings back a lot of memories! I voted a while back but glad to see it's still attracting attention.

Coz, thanks for running this and so many other things over the years to support AARLand!

And thanks to all those who've voted! In particular to those who have voted for and/or who might still be reading Fire Warms (if anybody still is - could it be?). It's a great honor to be in the auspicious company of so many authors of remarkable work from back in the day!

Rensslaer

Agreed, Renss. I feel honored personally to be included in this bunch with so much great work that was offered during the initial Vickie period. As with these other polls, there is definitely quite a bit that is not included but should be remembered. Immediately off the top of my head, I can remember M.ShawPyle's Sweet,Just,Boyish Masters. There are many more, to be sure.

We have gained a few more votes over the last month and perhaps we will gain just a few more. I think it is near about time to sticky over in Vickie proper so get those votes in now before the move. Folks will still be able to vote but may not see it as readily once out of the GD area.

And look forward to the HoI2 Anthology coming soon. It was a whole new era! :D

Ahh, yes. M.Shawpyle's AAR was great. And so many others!

Renss

I almost panicked when I saw the poll, thinking I'd have to choose a single AAR :D

A lot of eminent candidates are listed here, both including some of the vert first AARs I read here on pdox as well as some of my all time favourites.

I almost panicked when I saw the poll, thinking I'd have to choose a single AAR :D
I'm glad you noticed that before voting, Milites. I wanted people to be able to vote for one or all or in as many in between if they so wished. No true winner here and certainly no losers as all are great, IMHO. :)

So many golden AARs.:)