• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

The Anthology of Hearts of Iron II AARs

• Democracy's Last Legs: A US - UK DAIM AAR ({LD}Firestorm‎)

Votes: 6 16,7%
  • Crossfires, a French AAR for HoI2 Doomsday (Atlantic Friend‎)

Votes: 9 25,0%
  • The Game (a German Mod-34 AAR) (blue emu)

Votes: 5 13,9%
  • The Third Empire - An Imperial France AAR (cthulhu‎)

Votes: 16 44,4%
  • For King and Country (Draco Rexus‎)

Votes: 13 36,1%
  • The Butterfly Effect: A British AAR (El Pip‎)

Votes: 14 38,9%
  • First UK Co-operative AAR! (Formula51‎)

Votes: 3 8,3%
  • Return to Glory: A Germania AAR (Hardraade)

• "How the heck do you play this game?!" A simple tutorial AAR (Ironhead 5‎)

• Rebirth of the Japanese Empire: A Japan MDS 1.6 AAR (Kaiser_Mobius‎)

Votes: 5 13,9%
  • Kapituliren? Niemals! (kami888‎)

Votes: 4 11,1%
  • Fatherland - Deutschland über alles (Kanitatlan‎)

Votes: 8 22,2%
  • The Prisoners of Silence - NSDAP 1936-1991 (History and background) (Karelian‎)

Votes: 8 22,2%
  • Nation Shall Rise Against Nation, and Kingdom against Kingdom (King of Men‎)

• Soviet Union AAR - The Bloody Road to Berlin (Klaipedietis‎)

• The King's First Minister - a UK AAR (Le Jones‎)

Votes: 6 16,7%
  • "The Cobras are Smoking!" : a tale of Brazil (LM+‎)

• The Presidents: The Vietnam War Edition (Nathan Madien‎)

Votes: 9 25,0%
  • The Setting Sun - Gotterdammerung, Japan 1944. (Remble‎)

Votes: 10 27,8%
  • WIELKOPOLSKA - Rise of the White Eagle - A Polish AAR (robw963‎)

• Empire of Fu Manchu (The Yogi‎)

Votes: 14 38,9%
  • Weltkriegschaft (TheHyphenated1‎)

Votes: 7 19,4%
  • Against all Odds: The British Empire in World War Two (trekaddict‎)

• The Channel Pact - Germany&UK Coop AAR (TRP‎)

• Baltijas Republika - A Doomsday AAR (Von Uber‎)

Votes: 2 5,6%

• Total voters

coz1

GunslingAAR
29 Badges
May 16, 2002
hearthehurd.typepad.com
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Some years ago when I was still a moderator around these parts, I started these Anthology polls. They were meant to try and honor those AARs and AAR writAARs that started or influenced this place we love so much. We began with Europa Universalis II and the original Hearts of Iron, and then moved into Victoria and Crusader Kings. EU is now on its 4th iteration and HoI is about to do the same so it is high time to do this poll. HoI was a high point in that it brought in a whole new set of players and once they started writing...WOW!

Many people do not recall that at one point the forum as we know it today did not exist. Each game had their own area and there was little interaction. PlayAARs and writAARs were in and amongst their own games and there was little to no cross action between them other than those that wished to venture forth and see what else was out there. In 2004, however, the wise individuals of Paradox decided to give us a truly dedicated area for these wonderful stories we tell and thus, AARland was born and treated immediately to the beautiful cross mingling of all facets of AAR writing. Medieval vs. WWII...gameplay vs. storytelling. In the end, it has become indistinguishable with so many both then and certainly now crossing over between games and just enjoying a good story, and yes...a good game.

Having run these polls before I considered doing it exactly as I did it before but forum tastes and viewing habits over the years, especially during this time, caused me to look just a little bit deeper. While before I looked at the top ten in views and comments, this time I have opened it up to the top fifteen. You would not think it would make a major difference and in truth, it doesn't. But I wanted to try and include as many great AARs as possible while not giving too many to vote for and going beyond the forum poll limit. I expanded the look to the top 15 AARs listed in views and comments and then listed any that landed within the top 25 of both lists. We ended with the limit of poll selections and in my mind, a damn good selection of HoI2 AARs. Here they are:

Democracy's Last Legs: A US - UK DAIM AAR
{LD}Firestorm‎

Crossfires, a French AAR for HoI2 Doomsday
Atlantic Friend‎

The Game (a German Mod-34 AAR)
blue emu

The Third Empire - An Imperial France AAR
cthulhu‎

For King and Country
Draco Rexus‎

The Butterfly Effect: A British AAR
El Pip‎

First UK Co-operative AAR!
Formula51‎

Return to Glory: A Germania AAR
Hardraade‎

"How the heck do you play this game?!" A simple tutorial AAR
Ironhead 5‎

Rebirth of the Japanese Empire: A Japan MDS 1.6 AAR
Kaiser_Mobius‎

Kapituliren? Niemals!
kami888‎

Fatherland - Deutschland über alles
Kanitatlan‎

The Prisoners of Silence - NSDAP 1936-1991 (History and background)
Karelian‎

Nation Shall Rise Against Nation, and Kingdom against Kingdom
King of Men‎

Soviet Union AAR - The Bloody Road to Berlin
Klaipedietis‎

The King's First Minister - a UK AAR
Le Jones‎

"The Cobras are Smoking!" : a tale of Brazil
LM+‎

The Presidents: The Vietnam War Edition
Nathan Madien‎

The Setting Sun - Gotterdammerung, Japan 1944.
Remble‎

WIELKOPOLSKA - Rise of the White Eagle - A Polish AAR
robw963‎

Empire of Fu Manchu
The Yogi‎

Weltkriegschaft
TheHyphenated1‎

Against all Odds: The British Empire in World War Two
trekaddict‎

The Channel Pact - Germany&UK Coop AAR
TRP‎

Baltijas Republika - A Doomsday AAR
Von Uber‎

It is a larger poll than we have been used to but given the amount of work that went into it from all parties, I wanted to be as fair as possible. These are all great works and of course, my criteria has left so many out. I apologize to any and all not listed here and know that if current or future generations don't recall these works, I do as do many others. As I have requested each time, please offer your own recommendations for what should be recalled and remembered.

As with the other polls, this will be an open ended thing lasting as long as the forum exists and you may vote for as many as you like rather than just one. [A mod will come by and helpfully attach the poll when they get the chance.] Over time, this will be moved to the HoI2 AAR subforum and stickied for any newcomer to read and research should they wish. That's why this is called an anthology rather than best or anything other. It is not an award. I hope it to be a good place for future members to see and head off to read said AARs if they are curious about the past or previous works. And once again, please feel free after you voted to offer your own top 15 or more, or at least some AARs that deserve to be considered in such an argument.

Take a look at the offered works and give support to those that inspired you...made you laugh, think or learn better to play the game...or those that tickle you now many years after the fact...give your vote to those AARs that you feel best represent the AARs of Hearts of Iron 2.

I hope you have fun reading these old works and perhaps remembering them if you've been around long enough. If you are a newer member joined since some of these were ended, I hope you enjoy the look back. If anything, I hope those that take the time to look at these AARs enjoy a look back at the history of this forum as each were instrumental in creating the place that we inhabit today and continue to influence us to this day.

Happy reading and perhaps these AARs inspire you to...Write On! :)

Oh man, what a golden era. A lot of these were around at the same time as the great CKII AARs, and it was through this forum that I was introduced to AARland itself back in 2008 (Seven years ago now!!).

robw963's WIEKELPOLSKA was the first AAR I ever read and is what sucked me into these forums, it remains amongst the best.

I was even a character in Democracy's Last Legs (a reporter IIRC), having been one of its earliest commentars and it really was a great story. Another that sticks in my mind all these years afterwards.

I also have a great fondeness for the anarchic TRP duo and their Channel Pact AAR, was another quality work.

I haven't read all the other ones, but in an attempt to limit myself I'd say these are the three I will vote for when the poll opens up. Another great nostalgia trip.

The Golden Age.

Can't remember which were begun before my sojourn here begun, or which few I had not read, but just to be sure I voted all of them. :p

Reactions:
Can't remember which were begun before my sojourn here begun, or which few I had not read, but just to be sure I voted all of them. :p

These were all during your era of reading and commenting on every single AAR on the forum :p.

I didn't know PDX tolerates Nazi stuff. "Deutschland über Alles" for an AAR name? Really?

You know that is from the original song made during 19th century before Hitlers father was even born?
It does not differ much from some Murican saying "USA best!" or some Russian saying "Russia stronk!".

Reactions:
You know that is from the original song made during 19th century before Hitlers father was even born?
It does not differ much from some Murican saying "USA best!" or some Russian saying "Russia stronk!".
The phrase is still coined to the Nazis. If you say "Deutschland über Alles" publicly in Germany then nobody things about the original song from the 19th century. People would assume you are a Nazi if you say it so I'm quite surprised PDX tolerates Nazi stuff.

delpiero - it's not and they don't.

Of course the term Deutschland Über Alles is identified with the Nazis. Consult a historian if you don't believe me.
Here is quick quote from Wikipedia (use other sources if you don't trust Wiki)
During the Nazi era, only the first stanza [called Deutschland, Deutschland Über Alles ] was used, followed by the SA song "Horst-Wessel-Lied".[7] The anthem was played at occasions of great national significance such as the opening of the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin when Hitler and his entourage, along with Olympic officials, walked into the stadium amid a chorus of three thousand Germans singing "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles". In this way, the first verse of the anthem became closely identified with the Nazi regime

I'm sorry delpiero, but you are wrong. Having previously been a mod myself here and dealt with issues like this many times over the years, I would think Pdox has made their decision as to whether this was or was not part of that particular taboo. I have policed many threads that went over the line, but this AAR is not one of them...ever! In ten years, you are the first person to make an issue of it. If you really have further issue, please take it up with Pdox admin and not in this thread. Thanks.

I've voted.:)

Oh this sure brings back memories of hours spent reading a lot of great stories :) Hard to pick among them because there are some great candidates here, but I still have a favourite among them ;)

I think I was still mostly focused on the Victoria forum when these were being written. I voted for several which I've read, including some I was very impressed by during balloting for AARLand Choice AwAARds. The three of these I was most familiar with were Ctulhu's creepy Third Empire, TheYogi's epic Fu Manchu, and Draco Rexus' exhaustive King and Country.

How Draco could post on an almost daily basis updates that took me 30 minutes just to read, and have them so thoroughly researched, still blows my mind! :D

Rensslaer

Thanks again for these, picked my faves. And thanks for reminding me of Blue Emu's 'The Game'.

Old school bump for this thread as the voting seems to have stalled. Where are the legions of HoI voters? ;)

Seriously, great to see some looking back at these works and admittedly, there are a lot of them. Remember you can vote for as many as you like in this poll and all the other Anthology threads. Vickie should likely move to its subforum soon but I am cooking up the EUIII Anthology. Not sure when to do it, but there is good stuff to read when it gets here. :)

EDIT - And don't forget the CK Anthology thread is still out there.

Probably should, Enewald. Kind of mystified by the lack of votes for what was a really popular game and AAR sub-forum.

Keep those votes coming, folks. Are you HoI folks going to let Vickie and CK beat you? ;)