• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Anthology of Crusader Kings AARs - open ended poll

• The Adventures of the Crovan Clan (Alfred Packer‎)

Votes: 21 35,0%
  • Real Men Do It Alphabetically: An AARgau (anonymous4401‎)

Votes: 8 13,3%
  • The Morea, a Palaeologid AAR (crusaderknight‎)

Votes: 5 8,3%
  • If You Can't Do It, Nubia Can! A (hopefully) comedic AAR (Eron12‎)

Votes: 2 3,3%
  • There Will Be War - In The Balance (fasquardon‎)

Votes: 2 3,3%
  • The Machiavellian Adventures of Princess Eleanor (frogbeastegg‎)

Votes: 15 25,0%
  • Rome AARisen - a Byzantine AAR (General_BT‎)

Votes: 27 45,0%
  • Suenik the Beleaguered - a None Too Serious AAR (Iain Wilson‎)

Votes: 13 21,7%
  • The Beautiful Girl and the History Class (Jestor‎)

Votes: 11 18,3%
  • Children of the Fatherland: MP conversion game (King of Men‎)

Votes: 6 10,0%
  • Collage of CAARdinals: An interactive history of the Papal States (Llywelyn‎)

Votes: 5 8,3%
  • Homelands: Tales of the Anglo-Prussians (Mr. Capiatlist‎)

Votes: 15 25,0%
  • Knud Knýtling, Prince of Denmark (and other assorted tales) (phargle‎)

Votes: 24 40,0%
  • Furor Normannicus (The_Guiscard‎)

Votes: 8 13,3%
  • History of the White Eagle - Poland Megacampaign AAR (thrashing mad‎)

Votes: 18 30,0%

• Total voters

coz1

GunslingAAR
29 Badges
May 16, 2002
hearthehurd.typepad.com
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
Some years ago when I was still a moderator around these parts, I started these Anthology polls. They were meant to try and honor those AARs and AAR writAARs that started or influenced this place we love so much. We began with Europa Universalis II and the original Hearts of Iron, and then moved into Victoria as that was the third original game created by Paradox. EU is now on its 4th iteration and HoI is about to do the same. Vickie is on her 2nd go around and so too is Crusader Kings. Thus, we need to get into those AARs that made CK just as much fun as the three other games at this point. And like every other new section that came with the progress of Paradox, this one gave us new people and new story ideas. It was a new game and a new idea and thus we got both from the people that wished to inhabit this area of the forum.

While perhaps different, those writers were still trying to tell a good story be that narrative, history or gameplay. Oh…and many comedic. These AARs are classics to many, and to be sure, as classic as any AAR that may have come before or since. With the release of CKII, this is what is left as perhaps the historical record of this area of Paradox and thus it is more than time enough to allow them to be enshrined as the cultural marker or what was at most best or at least indicative of what this forum was about back in its day. I did consider including those that won the prestigious CrusdAARs Chalice as has been suggested, but there is a great deal of overlap and all of those AARs can be easily found via the CK library thread.

To be sure, this is not so much a poll to judge what is the best or even most popular, though the manner in which I selected them is very much guided by those usual techniques. As I did with the previous polls, I looked at the top ten in both views and replies and then opened the list to the top 20 and added any that landed on both lists. It is surely imperfect, but seems the most objective way to see what AARs might be considered an exemplar of that particular forum. There are obviously others and as I suggested with the other polls, I would think many would love to hear what additional AARs you might suggest. Please offer them as I and others would love to remember them and will offer others even more avenues to check out what made this area so special.

Yes, it could be called a blast from the past but hopefully also a guiding thought for the future. Great works are meaningful because they are influential and these were as influential as any work written for any previous game. So now, let us see that list of 15 great AARs:

The Adventures of the Crovan Clan
(Alfred Packer‎)

Real Men Do It Alphabetically: An AARgau
(anonymous4401‎)

The Morea, a Palaeologid AAR
(crusaderknight‎)

If You Can't Do It, Nubia Can! A (hopefully) comedic AAR
(Eron12‎)

There Will Be War - In The Balance
(fasquardon‎)

The Machiavellian Adventures of Princess Eleanor
(frogbeastegg‎)

Rome AARisen - a Byzantine AAR
(General_BT‎)

Suenik the Beleaguered - a None Too Serious AAR
(Iain Wilson‎)

The Beautiful Girl and the History Class
(Jestor‎)

Children of the Fatherland: MP conversion game
(King of Men‎)

Collage of CAARdinals: An interactive history of the Papal States
(Llywelyn‎)

Homelands: Tales of the Anglo-Prussians
(Mr. Capiatlist‎)

Knud Knýtling, Prince of Denmark (and other assorted tales)
(phargle‎)

Furor Normannicus
(The_Guiscard‎)

History of the White Eagle - Poland Megacampaign AAR
(thrashing mad‎)​

As with the other polls, this will be an open ended thing lasting as long as the forum exists and you may vote for as many as you like rather than just one. [A mod will come by and helpfully attach the poll when they get the chance.] Over time, this will be moved to the Crusader Kings AAR subforum and stickied for any newcomer to read and research should they wish. That's why this is called an anthology rather than best or anything other. It is not an award. I hope it to be a good place for future members to see and head off to read said AARs if they are curious about the past or previous works. And once again, please feel free after you voted to offer your own top 15 or more, or at least some AARs that deserve to be considered in such an argument.

Take a look at the offered works and give support to those that inspired you...made you laugh, think or learn better to play the game...or those that tickle you now many years after the fact...give your vote to those AARs that you feel best represent the AARs of the original Crusader Kings.

I hope you have fun reading these old works and perhaps remembering them if you've been around long enough. If you are a newer member joined since some of these were ended, I hope you enjoy the look back. If anything, I hope those that take the time to look at these AARs enjoy a look back at the history of this forum as each were instrumental in creating the place that we inhabit today.

As mentioned, the look at HoI2 is forthcoming and I hope to get that off the ground after the new year as it will be ten years since that occurred. Can you believe it? :eek:hmy: Until then, enjoy these works hopefully and look back at the other polls if you have some time. There is some great work to be read.

Happy reading and perhaps these AARs inspire you to...Write On! :)

I shall find time to look through these works over Christmas. :)

Genuinely good days. Thanks for the nostalgia trip Coz!

Thanks for adding the poll, Mr. C. And great to see some starting to take a look back. Good days indeed, EP/Woody (yes, I remember. ;) ).

And of course you voted for all of them Enewald. After all, you read all of them at the time. :D

A great endavour! Thanks, coz1!

A great endavour! Thanks, coz1!
Truly my pleasure, Nikolai.

And allow me to reiterate, would love to hear any other AARs some folks remember from that forum as this list is surely not complete in any real sense. Time and commenting habits have changed over the last 10 years and I am sure some have been left out due to my admittedly somewhat random nature of choosing them.

As well, I must admit I am a bit shocked that General BT's and phargle's still don't have a 100% rating and that frogbeastegg's Eleanor AAR isn't getting a bit more love as that is likely my personal favorite CK AAR of all time. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. :) Great to already see 10 votes, folks. Keep 'em coming.

A lot of nice stories here :) Seeing this thread and looking into these old classics got me back into in AAR-land after a lenghty break. Thanks for taking the initiative CoZ. This is a very nice trip down a memory lane filled with CK classics :)

Is agree with Enewald this was a real Golden Age - so many of these AARs are up amongst my favourites ever, but nothing can beat Rome AARisen.

Is agree with Enewald this was a real Golden Age - so many of these AARs are up amongst my favourites ever, but nothing can beat Rome AARisen.

This is so true. That AAR is my all time favourite by far. And I've read my share of AARs.:p

I agree with this statement.

I'm rather new to the forum, but even I hold such tales as Knud Knýtling with reverence.

Still haven't finished it though, sadly.

I'm rather new to the forum, but even I hold such tales as Knud Knýtling with reverence.

Still haven't finished it though, sadly.

To the pics still work on that one? I know a lot of the older AARs have gradually lost their graphics making them less attractive to read.

To the pics still work on that one? I know a lot of the older AARs have gradually lost their graphics making them less attractive to read.

From what I've read so far, most of the pictures remain intact.

Okay, so I skipped to the end of one of my favorites which I'd never been able to finish and was disappointed to see FrogBeastEgg had stopped posting just two updates short of concluding! A lot of work went into Princess Eleanor.

Thanks!

Renss