The Answers from the Discord QnA (7th February 2023)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DebbieElla

Community Manager (currently on maternity leave)
Administrator
Paradox Staff
Mar 4, 2019
1675782078332.png
Hello everyone! Today we held a QnA over on our Discord where users could ask some of our dev team direct questions about the game, and life at Paradox in general. We got hundreds of questions, which we really appreciate, and the following are the ones we were able to answer within the timeframe. Hopefully we'll be able to do this again soon, but in the meantime please enjoy reading the answers below. Have a wonderful Tuesday!

Question
why does Anarchy block Women's Suffrage? Was that a deliberate design decision? While ofc suffrage would be different under Anarchy, passing Women's Suffrage first makes the law still active when later enacting Anarchy. It just doesn't feel right for my super inclusive society to not have (the ability to pass) the highest Rights of Women law.

Answer
It's a counterintuitive consequence of the way anarchy works mechanically - since there are no "elections" in a mechanical sense under that law, it doesn't make much sense for Women's Suffrage to be available. It absolutely does get in the way of the player fantasy here, and I'd like to address it in the future.
Answered by neondt

Question
Have Any plans for South America ? the Victorian era have soo many possibilities to make SA an amazing place to play in, in other PDX games it's either not there, very empty or historically did nothing in the covered period, i really think that Vic3's South America have the potential to be the most fun South America can offer out of all the PDX games (btw love your work internet persons)

Answer
South America is a fascinating region in our era, and there is immense potential fur future content. So we're fully in agreement here! You can certainly expect South America to receive attention at some point in the future, though it's not part of our immediate plans.
Answered by neondt

Question
are there any plans to address the problem where very high Sol causes furniture and clothing factories to become unprofitable because there's no more consumption of regular clothing and furniture?

Answer
This is mostly a balancing problem, we need to ensure it's virtually impossible to get such high Wealth that everyone in your country stops buying regular wares in favor of only luxuries. For the longer term we're considering more gradual substitution of goods within buildings somehow, but it's a tricky problem to solve.
Answered by lachek

Question
Are improvements to moddability on the cards for the nearterm? Exposing more of the game to script and so forth?

Answer
Moddability is an ongoing project, and one that's also strongly championed by our content-focused designers as the same script functionality also helps us to make better narrative content for the base game. You can expect to see moddability continue to expand indefinitely.
Answered by neondt

Question
are you plan to show the modifiers more clearle in a battle

Answer
Yes, the Battle panel will show more of the involved numbers, more clearly, in 1.2.
Answered by hagerhink

Question
So map changes, what's up with then? Did you do any other map changes than Kazakhstan, which was confirmed to us by Daniel?

Answer
In 1.2 I believe that Kazakhstan has been the only area to receive map changes. But there will be plenty more map changes in future versions, some of which are already being worked on.
Answered by neondt

Question
How does the autonoumous investment pool will determine what buildings to construct now with the changes mentionned on DD #72?Can it build government,military and construction sectors buildings too or only the private ones?

Answer
Autonomous investors will only construct production buildings, i.e. factories, farms, plantations and the like, as well as railways since they can be privately owned. No private armies or personal bureaucracies for now. Ports and construction sectors are also not going to be constructed autonomously, we're looking into if it's possible to privatize these in the future though so their income can be independent of government.
Answered by lachek

Question
Does the new autonomous investment system mean that capitalists can now invest in Power Plants under Laissez-Faire if they generate them profit?

Answer
Yes, absolutely!
Answered by lachek

Question
Do you plan to refine the history setup in Western Africa by adding provinces or reworking the starting political setup?

Answer
Yes, that's been on our radar. There's no set-in-stone timeframe for implementation, but there are some revisions regarding the likes of Sokoto have been reviewed internally already.
Answered by Ofaloaf

Question
what is everyone’s favorite book?

Answer
I devour anything 40k/Horus Heresy related. Most recent Siege of Terra book was amazing.
Answered by KaiserJohan

Question
pollution is in some events as a modifier, but does nothing. I think it would be a cool mechanic, has it been abandoned or just put on the backburner until theres time to work on it?

Answer
Pollution was always meant to be a "cosmetic" mechanic with a purely visual impact. But there's no reason why we can't expand on this in a mechanical sense later!
Answered by neondt

Question
which of player stats thay you collected via telemetry has surprised you the most, and why?

Answer
We haven't been able to dig that deep into the data yet, but two really interesting findings so far is that
1. Dedicated players are really dedicated, coming back to the game very frequently and playing many hours, even compared to our other titles
2. There's a very strong correlation between "played the tutorial" and "stuck with the game"
Answered by lachek

Question
do you plan to add request war goals for wars if you join it

Answer
Some sort of conditional join in Diplomatic Plays, e.g. "I'll join your side if you give me X", is on our roadmap for the near future but won't be in for 1.2.
Answered by lachek

Question
Will 1.3 also be a big free patch? good job so far!

Answer
We aren't yet ready to talk about 1.3, but I can tell you that it's going to be very exciting.
Answered by neondt

Question
given the massive role that banking, bank failures, and bank driven diplomacy played in this time period, when are we going to see its formal inclusion in the game?

Answer
Oh boy oh boy oh boy I'm dying to dig into the emergence of the financial sector and its impact on the global economy. But I think it will be a little while yet, hard to do it justice if we don't dedicate serious time and effort to it.
Answered by lachek

Question
who on the dev team is the best at Vic 3 and who (in your opinion) is the worst? :)

Answer
A proper devclash is needed to determine this!
Answered by KaiserJohan

Question
Will we get a more in-depth subject system where we can build in them, influence their government / laws, have the military campaign goal that’s coming in 1.2 also influence our puppets, and potentially even assume direct control of their battalions?

Answer
We're for sure looking into deepening the level of interaction you can have with your subjects (or overlord) in the future. No further details yet, other than that a lot of the things on your list are being discussed.
Answered by lachek

Question
What are your most and least favourite parts of Victoria 3 as it currently stands and why?

Answer
I really enjoy the economic gameplay, especially when I'm playing a smaller country. In a pre-release AAR I spent most of a century having a lot of fun micromanaging a single Galician wheat farm and I have no regrets. I'm also a big Japan player, the Meiji Restoration journal entries and the challenges of the starting position are really engaging. As for the other part of your question, I think diplomacy is where the game needs the most improvement and it's very much on our radar.
Answered by neondt

Question
Will we get a console version, and if yes, when can we expect it?

Answer
It's not out of the question, but there are challenges to overcome, particularly performance optimization since so many of Victoria 3's performance bounds are game logic related.
Answered by lachek

Question
Do you have plans to implements more granularity in cultural acceptance in the future ? It seems weird that Irish and Afro-american arediscriminated the same in the USA for example.

Answer
While it might be going too far to say that we have a "plan", we absolutely would like to address this. Culture and discrimination are important parts of our period and there are certainly ways we could represent them better.
Answered by neondt

Question
Will Needs be influenced by geographical features in the future? Such as in mountainous states pops will have a greater need for transportation, or cold nothern states having greater demand for heating than hot ones.

Answer
This is something I've discussed with some of our mod teams, and I'd love to introduce more parameters here such as geography, profession, etc. At the moment the pop needs system is one of our most CPU-intensive systems (turns out determining and tracking what everyone in the world wants to buy is hard) so we don't want to experiment with additional parameters (especially scriptable ones) without getting good margins on our performance first, but it's something we do want to add eventually especially for modding capabilities.
Answered by lachek

Question
In your opinion, what feature ended up being completely different in the final game to what was initially planned in the early stages of development?

Answer
Plenty of them. Markets and Warfare were reworked quite a bit. Map Graphics was also massively upgraded from initial expectations. Politics in general was probably the most stable throughout development.
Answered by KaiserJohan

Question
what's your edible bribe of choice?

Answer
Tartiflette!
Answered by QNRD

Question
at which time is Fika at PDX office ?

Answer
Actually in one minute, but we are skipping it today to be here with you. Hopefully someone brings kanelbullar to our desks.
Answered by hagerhink

Question
in 1.2, will pops autonomously invest into new resources, e.g will they build a rubber plantation or an ammunition plant even if there's no demand for them at the moment?

Answer
There's a chance of this happening, which would bootstrap demand and make subsequent levels of that building more likely to be built, but while the AI logic can currently predict changes in demand due to goods substitution it cannot make predictions about whether constructing one building that will operate at a loss will allow another building to be constructed that would in turn make the first building more profitable in the long run, etc. The country AI compensates for this by manually increasing the priorities of some goods, but the investment AI won't (after all, nobody would invest in building a power plant because it'd make another capitalist more money). So as a player it's a good idea to check when the autonomous investors aren't doing a great job and strategically compensating in those areas.
Answered by lachek

Question
What are you guys most personally interested in implementing as new content/patches/dlc rolls out?

Answer
If I told you the interwebz would explode
Answered by KaiserJohan

Question
will you add archaelogical events like restoration of roman forum, colosseum (and other ancient sites) and by finishing them make special building like vatican appear on the map?

Answer
This sort of content aren't what we're focusing on in the short term, but as you could see from the Game Jam dev diaries (https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...dev-diary-70-feature-game-jam-part-2.1562169/) there's definitely an interest in developing these kinds of journal entries and event chains around archaeology, museums, etc. So undoubtedly at some point we'll see something like this!
Answered by lachek

Question
are we getting any Sabaton tracks? Rorkes Drift maybe?

Answer
Many, many hours of EU4 have ruined Sabaton for me!
Answered by KaiserJohan

Question
how arable land gonna change with 1.2? just adjusted numbers or also deeper changes like 1 arable land in china can feed more peasants than in europe?

Answer
Primarily through adjusted numbers, but as to your specific example, we have also introduced a Subsistence Rice Paddy that will employ and feed more people than regular subsistence farms do.
Answered by lachek

Question
Devots support Monarcy over Teocracy. Why it is so?

Answer
The Devout IG prefers monarchy to theocracy for historical reasons. Most religions did not advocate for an organized church to take over the government. In monarchies, state religions typically respected the institution of the crown (if not always individual monarchs) and were not interested in having e.g. the Archbishop of Canterbury rule Great Britain.
Answered by neondt

Question
How modable are the new parameters introduced by autonomous investments (base dividend shares, affected professions, efficiency modifiers depending on GDP...)?

Answer
Everything you just mentioned is fully moddable!
Answered by lachek

Question
Are there any plans for asking stuff for intervention in a crisis, offering your own stuff, or for mid-war interventions? All of these happened during the timeframe - in fact, all of these happened even just to Sardinia-Piedmont (and then Italy): offering Nice and Savoy to France for intervention against Austria, and jumping in the middle of WW1.

Answer
We've already mentioned the aspect of a join offer conditional on getting a certain war goal further up. In general, we're looking to deepen the Diplomatic Play system to see if we can accommodate the (historically accurate) situations, too. But it's not going to happen overnight.
Answered by lachek

Question
What was most facepalm worthy/funny bug that you encountered up to today?

Answer
Ottomans decreasing relations towards Ottoman bugs are pretty funny. Also anything related to babies (moustached, jingoist, cocaine-addicted 2-year-olds). Reminds me of Imperator where babies could command Armies.
Answered by KaiserJohan

Question
Victoria is a very interconnected game. Are you satisfied with the current level of interconnection? For example, IG's does not care at all about international diplomacy or your country research, do you think this may change or will it stay as it is ?

Answer
I think there's a good base of interconnectivity in the game at the moment, but of course anything new we add should be connected to your pops, the economy, your politics, etc in various ways too. There are some existing conspicuous gaps, like Interest Groups caring not only about internal politics but also the world around them, that we hope to enhance in the future. But there are also some things which (thankfully) stand alone, such as the Technology system, that we're not going to jump at interconnecting with other systems just for the sake of it. Balancing interconnected systems are a considerable challenge and the connections has to be very valuable for it to be worth it.
Answered by lachek

Question
How much time do developers spend trawling the forums/Reddit/suggestions channel? Whose job is that and what is the process of getting feedback to the team?

Answer
Hello! I have an answer! It is me, I look through feedback constantly and gather it to be sent through. This will also be the case in the Open Beta when it starts. Devs also look through the forums, discord and other places for feedback too
Answered by Pelly

Question
Will the hairless heir bug be solved?

Answer
We are fixing some heir-related bugs like clipping clothes etc. Unsure if baldness is included in that.
Answered by KaiserJohan

Question
Are there any plans for adding party ideologies so party types have more substance? E.g. making radical parties always pro-suffrage and republican

Answer
At present we're focused on ensuring the core mechanic is sound: Interest Groups banding up in plausible ways and shaping what the party want. We have a little bit more balancing work to do here to ensure the parties feel like they stand for the right things. I don't like the idea of jumping to forcing the issue by giving parties their own political identity independent of Interest Groups. However, once we get the balance just right and the parties feel plausible enough on their own, I'd like to add more properties and flavor to them.
Answered by lachek

Question
in 1.2, can capitalists invest into agriculture on Laissez-Faire & autonomous investment if the building is on Publicly Traded and they have ownership shares in it?

Answer
Pops can construct any building type they have ownership shares in, so yes if your farms are owned by Capitalists then they may construct them (if the ROI is good enough, that is). Note though that Aristocrats will also make investment contributions even under L-F, so they will always be able to construct farms.
Answered by lachek

Question
Is there anything the devs were disappointed to miss because it turned out to be unreasonably difficult or impossible to implement well?

Answer
States having to trace a market connection via Infrastructure back to the Market Capital was something we tried during development but didn't make it in. Maybe something to explore in the future again, perhaps in a more simplified format.
Answered by KaiserJohan

Question
What's your favourite nation in game to play as? Could be releaseable, formable, revolter, or starting.

Answer
I love playing as Greece and Denmark. They are in an interesting situation.
Answered by KaiserJohan

Question
why do states with no buildings have 100% market access? Seems like an odd design choice considering industrialization helped create a globalised economy.

Answer
Market Access is basically a metric of how the state's infrastructure compares to the load on its infrastructure. Since all states have a base amount of infrastructure, a state without any load on that infrastructure will be able to access the market quite freely. I do see the argument against this, but it's not how the mechanic works right now. We're going to experiment with making local prices more relevant in the future, and a bolted-on mechanic for actually enabling proper access to the market in the first place could be added alongside that - I'll keep it in mind.
Answered by lachek

Question
And of course I will ask, have you all started to develop plans for Polynesia?. Especially after community request (cough cough* my Polynesia posts cough cough) it seems like a good idea. And I (of course I would I made the Polynesia posts) would love to see Polynesia given some more love by Paradox. EU4 did a lovely job giving them some love in Leviathan (even if it was problematic of a DLC) and I'd love to see Oceania given the same kind of love here, especially during such a changing timeperiod for the region.*

Answer
We have a dev on CK who is really into Polynesia and has made some contributions to V3. No promises as to when they'll make it into the game, but it's happening!
Answered by neondt

Question
any plans on making laws giving different effect depending on other laws? (oligarchy gives power to the rich, but would give power to the party elite if you are communist)

Answer
Not as such, mostly because adding conditional mechanics to things is really hard to explain and present, but we're aware of the symptom you're describing and we're addressing it in a different way.
Answered by lachek

Question
for player objectives, why do we have to play until 1936 ? It is unfun at best... Furthermore, without the date limitation, you can start competing for the fastest completion (speedrun ? )

Answer
Mostly because the challenge presented is meant to change in nature over the course of the century. Becoming the dominant trade empire is pretty easy in 1840 if you're playing Britain, perhaps less so to remain that dominant trade empire in 1936. I think the real reason why this requirement isn't so popular right now is because the endgame is not as strong as the early game, which is on our radar and something we intend to improve.
Answered by lachek

Question
Do you intent to work on making the game run smoother/faster?

Answer
Performance work is an ongoing effort, and it's something that is being worked on continuously, because as more things get added to the game and as the design of some features evolve over time we might find that things that didn't use to be slow might become a bottleneck. So in short, we are always looking at performance even when we don't talk about it
Answered by ⸘ō⸘

Question
Are there any plans for a more gradual system for the diplomatic crisis mechanic? as in ways to gradually deescalate without having one side back down fully?

Answer
A mechanic like this, alongside some sort of scope-limitation on wars, is absolutely something we want to see in the game but we can't give you more details yet.
Answered by lachek

• 9Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Thanks for posting all these answers! I couldn't make the discord, but its good to hear the answers afterwards.
Question
why do states with no buildings have 100% market access? Seems like an odd design choice considering industrialization helped create a globalised economy.

Answer
Market Access is basically a metric of how the state's infrastructure compares to the load on its infrastructure. Since all states have a base amount of infrastructure, a state without any load on that infrastructure will be able to access the market quite freely. I do see the argument against this, but it's not how the mechanic works right now. We're going to experiment with making local prices more relevant in the future, and a bolted-on mechanic for actually enabling proper access to the market in the first place could be added alongside that - I'll keep it in mind.
Answered by lachek
Have you considered making subsistence farms use infrastructure (maybe 0.1 each, as they get 90% of their goods via subsistence and only 10% from the market)?

It would delay the industrialization of India, China and Russia slightly due to the inefficiency making their markets for goods less deep. It might need to be combined with a change to only make buildings that are "in use" actually use infrastructure though, to avoid harming places like the US with lots of land and few people.

• 6Like
Reactions:
Question
why does Anarchy block Women's Suffrage? Was that a deliberate design decision? While ofc suffrage would be different under Anarchy, passing Women's Suffrage first makes the law still active when later enacting Anarchy. It just doesn't feel right for my super inclusive society to not have (the ability to pass) the highest Rights of Women law.

Answer
It's a counterintuitive consequence of the way anarchy works mechanically - since there are no "elections" in a mechanical sense under that law, it doesn't make much sense for Women's Suffrage to be available. It absolutely does get in the way of the player fantasy here, and I'd like to address it in the future.
Answered by neondt
This clearly doesn't sound right as no elections does not imply no votes (rather the opposite : loads of votes).
(and it could be arguable whether anarchy implies no elections at all, but that's another problem;))

Reactions:
Can you explain what you mean as it is not obvious to me. Maybe I need more coffee.
How does no elections mean loads of votes?
Because this means population directly votes on everything, instead of electing a government which takes all the decisions.

Reactions: