• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

birincikalite

Just an outsider
47 Badges
Jan 20, 2013
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II
First of all hello, I've been playing this game since EU III Divine Wind, so after so many years of playing I wanted to make something different this time... I wanted to write an AAR. I'll focus more on gameplay, rather than roleplaying though there is no strict rules on what I will do :) This will be my first AAR, and I hope to continue as long as at least one person keeps reading. So let me know any opinions, whether bad or good all are appreciated. Also I want to state that this is not a World Conquest AAR, nor it is a "conquer, conquer everything!" AAR, yeah ofc we'll conquer a lot since we're the Ottomans but just not the whole world :laugh: Besides, I don't like WCs because they require too much micromanagement, not something I like because I play to have fun.
By the way Anatolian Leopard isn't something I made up :D It's a real animal that used to live in Anatolia.

63ac4838180cf5040a05d0564f13b970.jpg

Start Date : 1444, The Rise of the Ottomans bookmark
Ironman : Yes
DLC : Conquest of Paradise, Art of War, Wealth of Nations, Res Publica
Patch : 1.9.2
Achievement Goals : Definetely the Sultan of Rum , That's a Silk Road , possibly Over a Thousand if I feel like it it's certainly not hard but I won't guarantee I'll feel like micromanaging my armies in 1001 provinces:rofl: , I could add in some more achievements but right now the first 2 are enough.

Extra Notes

No too chessy things like money exploits, army tradition exploits etc. I generally don't like gamey stuff like that but I don't know what you consider to be gamey as well. For example things like vassal feed are certainly allowed.

I don't know if there should be anymore rules, feel free to suggest because I don't have sometning in my mind right now.

Readers are free to give me suggestions, or offer me goals, or whatever, because readers are important:eek:o

So let's start.

Parts
Part 1(1444-1447)
Part 2(1447-1455)
Part 3(1455-1462)
Part 4(1462-1471)
Part 5(1471-1474)
Part 6(1474-1478)
Part 7(1478-1485)
Part 8(1485-1491)
Part 9(1491-1500)
Part 10(1500-1507)
Part 11(1507-1514)
Part 12(1514-1518)
Part 13(1518-1520)
Part 14(1520-1524)
Part 15(1524-1532)
Part 16(1532-1536)
Part 17(1536-1541)
Part 18(1541-1546)
Part 19(1546-1549)
Part 20(1549-1554)
Part 21(1554-1558)
Part 22(1558-1563)
Part 23(1563-1566)
Part 24(1566-1570)
Part 25(1570-1574)
Part 26(1574-1579)
Part 27(1579-1581)
Part 28(1581-1583)
Part 29(1583-1586)
Part 30(1586-1588)
Part 31(1588-1596)

Part 32(1596-1598)

Last edited:
Reactions:
Part I(1444-1447)

So the Ottomans start up in a pretty good position. The Battle of Varna is won, and the Eastern Europe lies ahead of the Ottomans unchallenged, for the time being. Mehmeh II who is known for his conquest of Constantinople is on the throne at the age of 12 . Historically the Battle of Varna happened because the enemies of the Ottomans wanted to abuse the 12 years old Sultan's weakness by breaking the truce . Mehmed knew that too, so he requested his father to reclaim the throne. When his father refused, this time he wrote those famous words to his father.
If you are the Sultan, come and lead your armies. If I am the Sultan I hereby order you to come and lead my armies.
Murad II continued to be the Sultan untill 1551 when he died, though in game Mehmed II is the sultan because at that date he was still the de facto ruler of the Ottomans.

So that's the end of history part, let's get to the game part. We have a 12 years old ruler who is 5/5/6. Woah. What could we ask more? A 6/6/6 heir too maybe , but it's ok. With %100 increased chance of increased heir(though it seems like it does, it doesn't mean a guaranteed heir, but a pretty much increased chance) we'll probably will have an heir sooner or later... The longer Mehmed lives, the better we are.

dN05g8d.png

So that's how we begin the game. We have many rivals, nice. Though I'm surprised Aragon is not there, yet. We don't pick any rivals because we're at war. We will do it later.

QwlLP3j.png

So we start off by choosing our advisors. I could afford better advisors, but I chose not to right now because I'm better off saving some money for army/navy. Though those advisors are not the ones I'd prefer, they will still prove useful as long as they give us the precious powers
National Focus is set to Military at game start. Since we'll go administrative idea group we'll prefer having ADM. Normally I'd still keep it at Military since we'll be fighting a lot, but with a 6 military ruler we won't need that much. So we switch national focus to Administrative.

sojgcAc.png

Raised war taxes because with a 6 military ruler I won't lag in military tech, and the money will be useful for when I don't have any manpower to build mercenaries. Also we'll need the galley spam since going into Italy will probably mean Venice joining in a coailition against us...

ewy0JqY.png

Picked all decisions available at start, because they are all useful. Our mission is to conquer Constantinople. I'll do that fast because I don't want the Greek to ally themselves to Serbians.

Mz2k5uu.png

Starting off by sending one 13 stack to Albania and the other one sitting because otherwise the Albanians will flee to that province (heheh, Skanderberg!) Day 1 declaring war on Byzantium because I don't want to deal with them allyin Serbia, which almost always happens from what I can tell. Retreating the regiment in Edirne to Plovdiv so that it doesn't get stackwiped immediately. Sending light ships to protect trade and galleys into the Bosphorus to prepare the incoming war.

5NRC4CM.png

Sending a diplomat to claim Circassia.

h1Ypy6L.png

The enemy armies are dead, so we're free to carpet siege... And declare more wars.

fbS5eD1.png

Declared war on Dulkadir so that I finish them off before they ally with the Mamluks.

tZZBJj2.png

The wars are going on, and we declare just another war. On Candar this time. Because I dont' like it when they ally someone so I get them ASAP.
As a sidenote, I don't start converting yet because piety is low since I'm attacking Muslims all the time. Right now it would be more like a money sink due to so many years required. Once it's high I'll start converting.

Oops70A.png

Using old tricks to lure the enemy army into Mountain terrain because I don't want to attack into mountain terrain Sivas and get that -2 penalty, I'd rather have him get that penalty.

AyqDmeW.png

Our army wins yet another glorious victory! Also the succession is now safe. It seems that Mehmed II is pretty fertile for his age :p (don't worry I know the heir doesn't need to be his children, just kidding)
Our future will be bright with our newly born 3/3/3 heir Süleyman! Although not the best, 3/3/3 is all around not bad at all, considering how lucky I am at getting all those 0/1/1 rulers ( I have Die please die achievement as a side note)

60Mk1BB.png

We are informed by our spies that the smallfolk in Kocaeli are preparing for an uprising... So we move our troops there.

QqrwR8X.png

The sieges are going on... Also notice that my diplomats are never at home, they are always improving relations or whatever.

T7aRA3b.png

The war with Dulkadir is over, we finally have our cores in that region. Also we declare war on Ramazan, who will call in Aq Qoyunlu. I don't mind the AE right now, so I'll annex both of them.

2lDaObK.png

Albanian war is over too.

gwHvOIx.png

Increasing autonomy in Albania and Bulgaria because I don't want to deal with rebels.

kAp6ksI.png

The march into Georgia starts to prepare for the war.

kjPI5vI.png

Meanwhile QQ is warring against Trebizonid and Georgia... They will probably annex Trebizonid and vassalise Georgia. That's not very ideal. Sometimes Crime annexes Trebizonid, if they did I could just fabricate claim then vassalise Crimea.

Now the route should be actually vassalising Circassia and then using their claim to war Crimea and vassalise it... But in this matter I can't because for some reason Circassia didn't rival Crimea. So I have to take one province and claim Crimea myself. Well, as the peons of Warcraft 3 used to say : "Work, work"

kPvVzmb.png

Annexing Candar. We truly deserved it by the right of our swords.

w5ZMYZH.png

Finally, the conquest of Constantinople is over! Mehmed II had finally proved his 5/6/6 skills and conquered the world's greatest city. Byzantium is completely annexed, and Athens passes over to us as a loyal vassal. I will not feed Athens the non-cored Southern Greek provinces because I'll be at constant war for a long time. So I'll just integrate Athens 10 years later. We don't have any allies anyway, relation slots won't matter much at the moment. The only downside is the -3 reputation for 10 years.

wRIBC0C.png

Mehmed II declared Constantinople the capital of the empire.

Then the Ottomans declared war on Circassia in order to take that coastal province of theirs.(sorry no photo :p)

Allright. First parts are better kept short. So here it ends. Though no image , I made the mistake of going to Georgia before starting the war :p They got black flagged when I warred Carcassia. Anyway, I'll make them turn back and march into Circassia again.

Last edited:
Thanks for this!

I recently got the game and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I decided to try the Ottomans so I really appreciate the commentary you're providing because really I start a game, look at the maps and I'm not sure what to do and why.

I liked it,but not the circassia war tho,they are my ancestors damnit
Haha, what should we do then? Culture convert them maybe!! :p

Thanks for this!

I recently got the game and I'm a bit overwhelmed. I decided to try the Ottomans so I really appreciate the commentary you're providing because really I start a game, look at the maps and I'm not sure what to do and why.

Thanks for the comment dude, it's really important ! I'm happy that it helps you, actually I could probably give out more commentary in the next one;)
Though I must say admit that my run isn't exactly a newbie-friendly run as my goals for now are to get "Own Constantinople,Rome and Moskva as the Ottomans" and "Own every silk province in the world" and probably get "Own 1001 provinces" too If I'm not bored of getting so many provinces , but If you don't understand a part, or if you have any other question you could ask me. I haven't explained stuff like "vassal feed" and "carpet siege" but I gave out a shot of my sieging which would be considered as "carpet siege" and I haven't done any vassal feed yet but I will.

Part II(1447-1455)

Kiovr1m.png

So our armies are now marching against Circassia. Forward! Notice that I actually don't need that many men against Circassia who right now has 5 men but I'll have wars with Crimea and Golden Horde once I'm done with Circassia so I get ready for them too.
I also started improving relations with Athens because I'll annex them 10 years later(before annexing a vassal you need to have it as your vassal for at least 10 years) and in order to annex them they must have an opinion of 190 with me... Which is right now -3:p Well it's actually good considering that I just annexed their overlord:p

G53zjvM.png

And now improving relations with Tuscany. When your diplomats aren't busy with anything else, you better have them keep people around you happy. Tuscany has no importance right now but I'll go into Italy sooner or later. So the less people that joins the coalition when I'm there, the better everything is. Naples is under PU still which isn't good for us.

5luZCGi.png

The Circassian army is gone. You fough well, ErkutErdem's ancestors. But my warriors fought better ! :cool:
My AT(Army Tradition) is 40 right now. AT is obviously important but it is more so as the Ottomans. Because we want to have "Janissaries" even chain started. It's an even that doesn't always happen, it can start between 1450-1500 and has a MTTH(mean time to happen) of 1000 months which is reduced by your AT. So It's better we keep warring and keep our AT high, to have high chance of that event firing. This isn't the only Ottoman event chained with their AT, so it's usually good to keep your AT high as the Ottomans.

EAvue90.png

Getting military access from Genoa so that we can situation our troops in an attrition-free province. Notice that the sieging causes attrition, the less troops affected, the better. Meanwhile carpet siege is going on.

lQPbAj5.png

Annexed Aq Qoyunlu. This is not a peace deal because we get lots of AE(Aggressive Expansion) out of it because the CB was used against Ramazan. The reason I used it against Ramazan was that Aq Qoyunlu was allied to Karaman, with whom I have a truce with since the game's start, but I didn't want to get another truce with Karaman, nor did I want to annex them in one go without Reconquest CB causing the Mamluks and probably QQ(Qara Qoyunlu) too joining up in a coalition against me.

APBUaHe.png

We have spare force limit so we can use it. Though I won't be creating anymore regiments for some time since my manpower isn't high enough and it will be used to reinforce the army that I already have. If I need any men I can use mercenaries though, since I got the money to pay them.

APBUaHe.png

Overextension and war exhaustion causes rebel factions to pop up. I'll keep my eyes on them so that they don't pop up when I want them the least. Also I increase autonomy in less useful low BT provinces to slow down their proggression.

j6V9tri.png

Getting another core back.

EmUKdHi.png

Meanwhile Crimea is at war with 2 guys and they vassalised Theodoro(the newly added Goth culture country)

7fqh1UC.png

Buying down war exhaustion for once. It's not a very good move usually without ideas that affect the reducing cost, but I'll be at war for some more time and I don't want it to be like ~6 which will cause rebels everywhere, so I reduce it now.

wMQLtnk.png

Now actually my plan was to just vassalise Circassia... Unfortunately they didn't rival Crime at start, so they got no claims on Crimea. I want to get a CB against Crimea so I'll be taking that one province for myself then vassalising Circassia with the rest of their provinces because I have a spare relation slot and filling it up with vassals is a good idea.
Also taking all their money, because, why not? Hahah.

GRljdrK.png

I got a new mission. Our goal is to convert Sinop. Actually I wouldn't mind converting right now with so low piety (%15 and will be lower because we keep declaring wars on Muslims) and no missionary strength advisor. But the rewards are just too good to pass so even though it will take few years I start up the process of converting Sinop.

MWSmMOH.png

Now that the war is over for the first time, I can rival people. QQ and the Mamluks were obvious choices. And I chose Venice because they rivalled us. An eye for an eye...;) I didn't want to have bad relations with anybody and I had really bad relations with Venice anyway. Though I don't have in my mind to attack them for some more time, I'll just be getting that Power Projection.

j66i6eX.png

The army in Georgia is ready for a war while our diplomats are fabricating claim on a Crimean province. Meanwhile I decided to keep an army at home and splitted them into 4 to reduce the unrest in provinces.

jZ5ueJI.png

I don't wanna lose ducats but piety is pretty important for now.

Fe6WKU5.png

Warring Crimea finally. Split up my army in two because the supply limit is low in those provinces. If it's needed I can merge them again.

ONWnqTE.png

Crimea has about 10 man in Golden Horde, but I don't kill them because Crimea losing the war and giving up the Golden Horde provinces is not what I want. Normally i'd just vassalise Crimea and be at war with Golden Horde, and it would be ok but the war leader is Nogai so I can't rely on them.
I don't carpet siege either, since I don't want to get stackwiped by Crimea. The important thing is to take the war goal which is Kuban in this case. Because it gives you lots of ticking war score once you get it.

FUK2iEw.png

Nogai for some reason suicided on my armies in Tyn, though I lost very few of my own, he lost a lot. Now the second army is taking care of Crimean reinforcements.
Notice that I haven't lifted the siege in Kuban because it's the wargoal and is vital for gaining WS. My WS right now is -2 only because I haven't taken it yet.

pMQIF7a.png

Normally I'd wait off some time before taking technologies due to neighbour bonus, but I'm at war and having higher tactics would surely benefit meright now.

vUfFSzV.png

Declared war on the last Anatolian Beylik because our truce is finally over and I got 13 men army in Anatolia who should have some use before I ship them up to Crimea, though not needed much.)

lpgFV6h.png

Usually attacking a considerable army without a leader is a pretty bad idea, but my leader was busy in Crimea(though there is a tricky way to bring transfer generals even when they are in enemy territory which I may explain later) and I relied upon my higher tech, better army and number advantage... Even attacking them on Desert Mountains terrain didn't hurt the Mehmed II's invincible army!
By the way, don't do this actually, unless you're sure you're far superior than the enemy because usually it will result in unwanted number of casualties.
And as a rule of thumb, don't make your heir/king general unless you're a republic. There are some situations where you might want to make them general just to get rid of them (i.e 1444 Castille start, the heir is terrible so I mostly just make him general to get rid of him) but it's exceptional and not usual because you are usually good if you just have a ruler because regencies are terrible... And the chance of being PU'd when you have no heir is terrible too.

xuVaW3s.png

Whenever a Crimean stack is moving towards our little armies, we start marching our bigger stack to that province to threaten the Crimean stack. Then they stop moving because they realize that it will lead to their downfall.

AlWXj7K.png

See that their movement has stopped, so we stop our manuever too.

AlWXj7K.png

Now that our leader has nothing much to do in Tyn with Crimean armies closer to the other stack, maybe I should just tell you about that trick for transsferring general.

LpHaWPi.png

Press Create New Unit

PKnpOwJ.png

Move all army to the right side then select that army. A magical bell-like sound should appear out of nowhere. Fear not! Our general has finally got away from that army. So now we can assign him to the army in Kuban and merge it with the other stack.

XWPYdWM.png

Crimea's other war is over. GH is weakened, and that's good. Though It's bad now I have to kill the Crimean army. I'd rather have them keep it since they'll be my vassal anyway.

zSTsL9R.png

By the way, make sure your vassals are set to aggressive if you want them siege provinces and if you know that you can protect them from any enemy stack that may kill them. There are also some great tricks(no cheesyness!) to make sure your vassals siege as many as they can. I may explain it later when I have more vassals.

QrExdLl.png

Let's have a look at the situation in Europe. Poland has Lithuania under a PU... Not the thing I'd want. Anyway.
Naples is still under PU of Aragon. Castille is conquering Granada. Sweden has declared war of independence but seems to be losing.
France did pretty well in HYW, better than most. He got all cores back from England in a single war. Now that's an achievement for the French AI.

BeioODG.png

Unrest in Sivas is -8. Taking that option won't hurt us since there is no other province where peasants have an unrest. The other option is -30 admin power which I don't want.

Sw2lhmp.png

More piety because I need both missionary strength and army morale.

XAxS5hJ.png

Karaman is history now. Also I don't take adm tech yet, stocking it to get neighbour bonus if I can. Besides I'll be getting Administrative ideas and itwon't have any benefit for now since I don't have any mercs.

Edit : It turns out that image limit is 32... Well AFAIK it's not against the rules so I'm gonna cut this post in two and the next time be careful about that 32 image rule. Make sure to read the rest of part 2 below, and I won't do that cutting in half thing again:p

Last edited:
The other half(ok not exactly half) of Part II

XAxS5hJ.png

Mission over. I don't take any new mission just yet. Because I won't be doing any of them for some time.

PwCpkFi.png

Offered concede defeat to Nogai, because they were making my ws less than what it should have been. Besides, losing prestige won't affect us at all since we're always at war and prestige is easy to farm.

xHdCFDG.png

Austrians got themselves some fancy Dutch provinces thanks to the Burgundian Inheritance and they got so high with the event that they decided to rival us... they rivalled us... Well, we should make sure they regret doing that. Though it's not their time yet.

M09YRvX.png

Vassalisation of Crimea is done. Theodoro is free once again too, since I vassalised his overlord.

GiIfxwi.png

Thanks to that event, I can start converting Orthodox to Sunni now.

hBLGG8v.png

Now without losing any time , I start the next process of my plan. I vassalised Crimea because I wanted to go to Moskova ASAP and Crimea was a horde, allowing me to use such a great CB on Golden Horde. I'll carve a way up to the Muscovian border by feeding provinces to Crimea, Uzbek isn't joining the war which is good. Let's get over with it ;)

hL9pZeg.png

Tensions are getting worse in our Southern borders, though we need not worry since Mamluks are in a regency and QQ wouldn't dare attacking us anyway.

gNZnvj9.png

Carpet Sieging GH and his vassal Ryazan. Meanwhile their last man is about to die.

o2A7Ob1.png

The guys I kept in Greece now has come to use. Also taking administrative idea to get merc cost reduction, and created 4 mercs. I got the force limit anyway.

dbQe6xu.png

Naples is still under protection of Aragon but I fabricate claim neverthless, they last 25 years anyway.

QWc0Azr.png

Producing some galleys. Though right now not much. But I'll need a lot more to be able to face the Venetian navy. And the reason I'm not building light ships is because I'll need to get over force limit with galleys.

HV97188.png

The war is over. Now why did I vassalise Ryazan? Because they're Russian culture and we'll be attacking Muscovy, so it's useful to feed Russians to another Russian country, that is loyal to us, right? I've fed Crimea pretty well, though with that overextension they will have rebels for sure so I'll keep an eye and press the rebels down once they appear. Also given Circassia a province which has "Dagestani" culture, which is an accepted culture for Circassia. Took that northern province that borders Muscovy for myself because I want to be able to fabricate claim on Muscovy whether or not I integrate Crimea... Just wanted to make sure. Besides it won't hurt me since I increased autonomy to stop rebels.
I can core it because its adjacent to my vassal, it's nice isn't it? ;)

Now my Northern Front wars have ended... For now of course. Because Muscovy isn't explored for the Ottomans yet. I can focus on somewhere else and when Muscovy is discovered I'll deal with them.

I'll stop writing for now, so that's the end of the Part II
I have achieved 2 of my short term goals that I stated in the first post. Though 3rd one isn't achieved yet, I also stated that it wasn't an exact short term goal since it could have happened any time.
I'll put new short term goals into the first post ;)

Last edited:
That AI France is better then me :D,you should expand towards balkans before hungary gets a king,because when they do,they will expand towards you
Well I actually don't have in my mind right now since I'll be going East instead of West, but if I get the mission to conquer Serbia, sure I'll do that. Or if you really want me to do it that much well I may do it :p

Guys please leave a comment if you read because it's really important :D

Last edited:
Part III(1455-1462)

Hello there, I'm back again :)

CIFCDcp.png

Now that the war is finally over we can start the annexation process of Athens... That little OPM that almost has no use at all and cost a relation slot :p The downside of this is that I'll get -3 dip. rep. for 10 years which will mean I won't be able to annex any other vassal for 10 years after the iannexation process of Athens is done, since I have no idea that give me diplomatic reputation, yet. But it's ok because it will take a lot of time to get improved relations with Crimea/Circassia and in the meantime I gotta do something.
Kazan has recently joined in a coalition against us, probably more will follow as the game progresses. Anyway, I'll turn my attention into somewhere else now. Since Naples is still under PU, I'll just wait untill my war exhaustion fades off first & I ship my armies to Anatolia then make a decision on what to do.

8XkJS0K.png

So I decide to deal with the Mamluks. People asked me to expand into Eastern Europe, don't worry I will, but there is a mission that will give me claims on all Serbia which I'm waiting for. Till then, I got the Conquer Levant mission and I'll get some provinces.
I also got the 2nd idea of Administrative group, which is -%25 core cost. That will make it easy to core stuff I'll take from the Mamluks, combined with %33 reduction from tradition and another %25 from having a claim... It will be pretty fast too.

E6088PC.png

Now all look there for a moment and hail the most glorious Imperial nation, Ulm! Mighty warriors of Ulm have warred against the rich Bavarians and are winning ! I don't know how exactly but this is still hilarious :D

eigDvXB.png

Chose diplomatic because i really need the administrative power. Btw, see that my infantry is now Azab Infantry. Let's try out our new fancy weapons agains the Mamluks my warriors!

cHXmvH0.png

The mission is taken and the war is declared. We have no worries, since both our armies and navies are greater than theirs.

eZEeO8C.png

They have military tech level 4. Before they make it level 5 let's abuse it and let them face our experienced soldiers.

9SJhNU7.png

I don't understand why but that's the 2nd time that vassal of Mamluks suicide attack on me....

3OWinFR.png

Also I forgot mentioning it I guess but I'm the defender of faith now :) That war exhaustion reduction is pretty useful. Though I hope Iberians doesn't decide to expand further into North Africa... They have completed their missions already so I hope not.

nyp6qUW.png

Meh, I hate that event... Al choices were terrible but even though -15 tax modifier seems TERRIBLE, it's not quite so. It cost me 2 ducats per month from my income. Not good but acceptable over %20 manpower reduction or +2 unrest...

dofM7lU.png

As you've probably understood since now, I like showing you strange stuff happening around... Aragonese conquest of Rome, well now that's weird because Catholics who hold Rome get terriblly nasty modifiers that make them regret doing so, along with the fact that they will get pretty reduced papal influence :rofl:

bFWpMcx.png

Meanwhile started claiming lands from QQ... Because since my main goal is to go East, sooner or later I'll go to war with QQ. Though there is still time.

gXvp1k1.png

What is going on with the AI? That one is surely drunk, coz that's the 3rd time he's suiciding like that o_O

xQQiEcN.png

Got everything I can without going over %100 OE. Also made sure that I got Jerusalem for the +1 prestige and +1 missionary bonus. Look at the core costs lol. By the way, core cost reduction is useful for 2 things actually. 1 is that you know, it reduce core creation cost. Even though the other one isn't stated ingame it still affects a lot. It also reduces the time to core a province. This is important because that also mean less time I'm at 100 OE Thus, I'll get rid of the bad modifiers sooner.

cXdwsJB.png

Have a look at the world we see now, and that was the end of Part III. Now that the Mamluks are no longer a threat on my Souther borders, I can either go war against QQ or Eastern Europe. Though Eastern Europe is trickier, because when I go there I want to get rid of Poland's PU over Lithuania, since If I go West they will for sure hate me and join any coalition that forms against me...

Anyway, I take your leave now, have a nice day ;)

Last edited:
Part IV(1462-1471)

RzxIqaD.png

Since we have a long truce with Mamluks, this mission has no benefit right now. I might take it later if it triggers again anyway.

b31irSV.png

Lol, QQ has vassalised everything...

IhP0PhF.png

Taking the wargoal is pretty important in a war. So I'm sieging the wargoal and my stacks keep QQ stacks away. I'll fight his stacks after I'm done with the siege so that I'll have more ws and faster.

9LmSIeL.png

Meanwhile the country is almost full Sunni.

TLhrDpP.png

Ah, those lovely stability events!

YWTQGXc.png

Bohtan is small enough to accept my vassalisation offer, so I release it.

6s3DSSZ.png

Of course they will accept! Not even a single negative reason heh.

KYtnmWh.png

And I start the annexation of my vassals with -3 diplomatic reputation gone. The reason I integrate Circassia instead of Crimea is because Crimea still has 3 cores in Lithuania+1 claim on Moldavia so he has the potential for further feeding. Also as a horde he will be useful without a doubt.
On the other hand feeding Circassia won't be good for us since they are 2 times more expensive due to their traditions, so it's better I get rid of Circassia now.

UaAJkbT.png

Since I can see Muscovy now, I'm getting ready to declare war as soon as possible. Meanwhile I got a mission to ally Kazan. Why not? They may not join the war actually since they haven't rivalled Muscovy but that doesn't matter, I'll call them anyways just to get their prestige reduced and our alliance broken without him going mad about me. Also my diplomats have other plans about Mus

t8jO1As.png

Great timing to rival Muscovy Venice, well done.

D4en7nm.png

See, we got a nice alliance there:D With Poland+Moldavia+Lithuania, I can just sit back and watch Muscovy fall. But that won't happen as I must make sure the provinces I want are occupied by me. I don't trust the Lithuanians. Though I can surely let them do the bloody work with the Muscovite army while I am sieging stuff. Also my relation slot is 6/4 now, that's ok for now. I want to have Poland on my side as long as possible. As for the folks who requested an invasion of Eastern Europe, good news, Poland has rivalled Hungary. Perfect ally :)

thQp90J.png

Hmm. Poland is threatened against me... Well ofc that's normal but... I'll try to make them green heart. Well, since my manpower is still low anyway I guess I can wait for some more time to see if Poland pays his debts and changes attitude. Also dissolving alliance with Kazan to save 1 dp per month.

28kqd2f.png

Waited untill Circassian annexation, and Poland is still threatened. Most likely due to the fact that they view me with distrust. If I can build some trust they may be a useful ally in my Eastern and Northern campaign. And the fact that they won't join any coalitions against me is even better...

So that was the end of the 4th part. I'll be warring Muscovy alone in the next part, since I'm not afraid of his armies anyway. Good vassal Ryazan keeps claiming provinces of Muscovy, and that will be useful too!

Last edited:
Part V(1471-1474)

JE7FwOR.png

Well, 10 prestige isn't important but let's do that, I may get a more useful mission once this one is done.
Btw those rebels are Circassian pretenders :D Anyway, crush them!

loblCj7.png

Always check the rebels before launching a campaign. Also there is war exhaustion and probably overextension to consider. Right now not needed but I may increase autonomy if my exhaustion goes too high during war.

HHBsw19.png

Now that's what I call a loyal vassal! Historically, the Crimea was a good ally and vassal of the Ottomans too.

bx9kGAX.png

Guess I need some more light ships to compete with the filthy Genoans!

BvGLxf2.png

The war is finally declared. Setting Kasimov as war goal because it's the only one I can see right now, now the bad thing is that I'll have to wander around the Muscovite land in order to explore it... But that's kinda bad because the Russian land is full of attrition.

MHjPnc6.png

While the wargoal is being sieged my 3 stacks are wandering around without attrition,taking advantage of the summer. But that won't last long. Also I hope that my armies don't come along the Muscovite army unexpectedly... It sounds risky but Muscovy has an army of 19,000 soldiers which is why I'm so confident right now. Even if I cross a river or attack on forest, I can still easily beat them.
Denmark is my enemy and he still has Sweden+Norway as PU... That's bad. Not that they will do anything in the war, but they will cause me to get less warscore due to recent changes to warscore. In early versions you could just occupy the warleader, be it OPM or not, and you'd get %100 ws. Now that's not the case. And even though Denmark has nothing to gain out of the war, nor does he contribute with anything, he won't peace out due to "length of war" factor... Which is kinda silly If you ask me because that's a totally meaningless war for them and they should peace out after a while. Anyway, back to game.

Df9KVNL.png

Well that's enough exploring I guess... But there is still no Muscovite army. I guess they understood that they're no match for our superior troops.
I don't lay carpet siege on everywhere yet because that would mean stackwipe when the Muscovite stack comes over. I keep a few carpet sieging armies and the stacks near to protect them. Also set vassals aggressive, given objectives to make sure they siege stuff while I protect them. A lot of people complain that objectives are useless but it's not exactly, I may explain later how to make it useful, how to tell your vassals where to go etc.
By the way, I kept my AT as high as I could since the start of the game, but I still didn't get the Janissaries event... I'm unimpressed. My luck has failed me so far. Anyway, there is still time untill 1500.

P9ZXxZJ.png

Then finally Muscovite stacks showed up... Unfortunate for me they showed up with Danish+Swedish+Norweigan troops! I was outnumbered but managed to split them off and kill the Muscovite stacks mostly when they were split, while still contiuning the sieges. Also, since Muscovy is a lucky nation, their leaders are really godlike!
Now that most of their armies are dead, the Scandinavians flee back home it seems.
There is actually a tricky way to peace out with the Scandinavians very easily without losing anything normally, but if I do that now that would lose me the defender of faith since it would mean losing a war in game-terms. Well, I got lots of money anyway. Let's just do it then :p

Well guys sorry for that but for some reason everytime I offer something to Denmark my game crashes... And since it's ironman I don't have another save. Guess I'll stop now, should post it on Bug Report to see if It can be solved. I hope my game isn't ruined lol:wacko:

Last edited:
Really enjoying this so far. I'd love to hear your strategy for making better use of vassals as that's something I've struggled with a lot.
Thanks dude, I wanted to show you about how to use objections and making vassal go somewhere by attaching it to your 1 man regiment but crap, my save is corrupted! Anyway, I'll try to solve that, if can't be solved I'll have to continue like that but I will lose lots of men in the Russian war since my plans will be broken. Though my bigger fear is that if the savegame is really corrupted I may have another crash problem later in the game, I hope not...

Part VI(1474-1478)

Hi guys, it's been some time since the last chapter. The reason was that my save was corrupted and I couldn't offer Denmark a peace deal... Every time I tried the game crashed. I was gonna also tell you a trick about taking unwanted enemies out of war easily, but I guess I can't do it this time. Sorry for that, but I guess I will use the trick later.
That bug also caused me some big casualties as 32 men Danish/Norweigan/Swedish army is running apart my sieges. I simply didn't care them since I was gonna peace out anyway, well now I can't peace out so I'll have to deal with them with casualties or not ;)

XQp2qpe.png

So that was the fight . It was surprisingly easy to beat the Scandinavians even with -1 terrain modifier... They killed some of my siegers so I had to reinforce my army by a few quick mercenaries. The worst thing is that the Scandinavians will most likely come again and I'll have to beat their army every time :/ And I can't peace them as long as they don't offer it. So I'll just keep sieging Muscovy with caution.

HIOb16D.png

I can complete that mission while the Muscovite war is ongoing. There are 3 heathen provinces right now. I'm %100 piety so it's about ~20 months to convert a province in average. I also have 3 missionaries because +1 from defender of the faith and another +1 from Conquest of Jerusalem.And the rewards are quite nice for a mission, as most missions just give prestige which I have plenty of.

T2FXnoR.png

They're back and causing problems again... By the way, Muscovy has taken Expansion as first idea. It's not very good... In some games it doesn't take expansion first because if an AI nation doesn't have port, it won't take exploration/expansion. So if Muscovy takes a coastal province in the first war with Novgorod, that's the reason it goes expansion. Carving a way through the Steppes isn't ideal but If I just deal a heavy blow on Muscovy, he won't colonise for some time because he'll be in great debt.

7c9tGFC.png

I have to consolidate regiments because I'm very low on manpower so I won't be able to reinforce them for some time... And I shouldn't pay extra cost for them when I can't reinforce them, also full regiments are better in fight.

9UzIbT3.png

So here's a bit vassal-management for you. Ryazan's army was set to aggressive because I wanted my vassals to siege for me while my stacks protected them. Now Ryazan's army seems to just move to another province to siege, but there are hostile armies nearby so they're more useful if they just stack to me and we kill the Russians together. So I set it to "Supportive" (and also make sure my army in Yaroslavlavl has "Attach to this unit" box checked) This makes AI attach to ANY allied unit it can and not siege on his own. Though there are some exceptions to this. Let's talk about how AI priotirize who to attach first. I want to state that those things aren't based on wiki or something, only my personal experiences so things could go unexpected in some case but still I found this pattern to be %95 true.
If you wonder how I learnt so much about vassal management, I played a Brandenburg > Prussia game where I Revoked the privilegia which made all HRE my vassal. With ~35 HRE vassals + my own vassals aside from HRE it's unlikely you don't try out every possible scenario and learn a lot :p
Besides, if you read the whole AAR you know that vassals are really great for many things. Maybe I can tell so many great uses of vassals too. Sometime later maybe. So let's get back to priorities.
But I state again, this list is %100 from my observations/tryouts so unexpected stuff can happen too. AFAIK no dev has told the exact pattern for this so I conclude mine to be close to true.

Priority list for vassal attachment
1) Overlord, which should be you. In %95 of the cases AI attaches to overlord if it can. But there are %5 of cases where I've seen that AI could move 2 province and attach to overlord but instead preferred to attach a war ally 4 provinces away... Well from my observations this is a very unlikely move and not WAD(working as designed), it's pretty unexpected so you should ignore that unexpected movement and consider it will attach to you. I'm not sure if that was a bug or something else was causing it that I have no idea of but anyway.
2) War ally. Basically nations that are fighting on your side in a war. I'm not exactly sure if an AI would priotize your own allies over any other ally(like defender of faith) in a war. So I won't comment on that.
2,5) Your other vassals. Well, I'm not sure of this one as well to be honest. Maybe they count your other vassals just as another war ally. It could be that. Maybe AI isn't following a pattern for this one, because I've seen it attach to ally and attach to your other vassal when it can, but I think I've seen them attach to your real allies more often. Still, it's safe to assume that if you set one vassal to aggressive and the other to supportive, the supportive one is likely to attach to aggressive one who will be sieging if they're close. Being close is very important for vassals because if they're not, all their moves will be unexpectedly random.
3) Vassals of war allies. I don't know why it's like that, but for some reason I don't see my vassals attaching to my allies' vassals and vice-versa.

They priotize like that but that doesn't mean if you make your vassal whose army is 10 provinces away from Supportive, he will come and attach to you. He may, but if there are other allies, he may choose to attach to them as well. Find it out by trying. Set supportive, make your army attachable, pass one day and see where the vassal is going. If it's going the other way you have to take a regiment of 1 man, bring it to the vassal army then the vassal will follow that. Another useful thing about vassals is that, you can actually have almost full control over their armies in a war. Just take 1 regiment and move it all the way to make all armies attach to that, how nice yeah? :) Ah also, if you have too many armies and not enough generals... Well, attach each leaderless army to a vassal so they will use the vassal's leader in battle/siege.
Also if a vassal is sieging when you set it to supportive, it won't move to another province to attach to you. It won't break the siege. But if you move an army to there, it will attach to it and you can move it like that. Sometimes AI lags a bit so you may need to move to other province, then come back and do the same thing again etc. You should try out such things yourself because I can't tell everything here since after some time I gained practice so I do most stuff without thinking about it, you'll be like that too.

Right, that's enough lesson for today. Let's get back to the game :)

gQbMaod.png

So I find out that Poland finally wants to fight. It's already too late as I 've done all the war anyway but let's call them in... They(Poland+Lithuania) can at least take care of the leftover regiments of the enemy... Besides, taking them into a war which they will gain nothing can only profit me because that way Poland won't be able to expand for some time and have a truce with Muscovy. Otherwise, after my war with Muscovy was done he'd just attack Muscovy himself and make a good peace deal easily since Muscovy will have no army anyway.

6CUp7Jm.png

Took armies to attritionless friendly province. They suffered a lot and I don't want to lose even more manpower + war exhaustion. Lithuanian armies will end the war anyway so I need not to be concerned. My vassal Bohtan(Kurdish vassal) is marching towards Russia too, thanks to military access from my Polish ally and his subjects :D
I'm also banking my monarch powers again. Because buying techs with as much neighbour bonus as possible is the most efficient way. Unless that tech gives a specific instant bonus, like trade efficiency. Besides, most military techs are great when you're at war so should be taken before going to war. I can take new military tech right now but since I won't be fighting anymore in this war anyway, I decide not to pay it %30 extra cost due to being ahead of time.

By the way we can talk about westernisation too maybe ? I think many people overvalue westernising. I mean, yes, it's great but not for everyone.Lately, people have been playing even Chinese tech without westernising. I'd suggest westernising in any case if you play Indian/Chinese tech group ASAP. If you'll do it late, don't do it at all. Hordes should westernise too but they can wait some time before reforming the government because horde government is really strong. If you play Muslim tech group, it's really worth westernising actually but you may choose not to in some cases... Simply because westernation is a really painful thing and can cause great problem while its ongoing, and may put you back for some time. It will actually make your tech be really behind for some time as it will spend monarch powers, but it will help you catch up later on easier. As the saying goes in Paradoxplaza, "Power now is better than power later" and that's true, because it's a snowballing game we're playing. You may still do well without westernising as Muslim tech but you may need to always national focus on military because you'll be behind in tech and you never actually want to be behind in military...As for Eastern and Ottoman tech groups, I find westernising to be a luxury actually. They really don't need . Ottomans doesn't make great use of it because they will be very strong early game and need to use this to their advantage. But westernising will halt their expansion for some time which is not good. And Easterns are very close to Westerns anyway.

Beside, there is a %10 tech discount that I see many new players don't have an idea of. It's called "Western Arms" and it triggers when you have a Western neighbour that is not your subject and has an opinion of 150 with you. With Easterns it's really too easy to get this. For example Poland can ally Bohemia/Pomerania and get this easily. With any tech, you should try to get this modifier. As Ottoman tech it's not as easy as Easterns simply because Christians hate you but I may get it in this run. Poland AI usually westernises, so by conquering few provinces from Hungary I can be able to get %10 discount to tech unless by that time my alliance with Poland is broken.

Back to game :D

V6CQwE6.png

My allies are sieging down provinces. Now that the area is clear, I should actually loot provinces of Muscovy. Meanwhile I'll be able to explore other provinces of them too. Looting is a good way to gain money in a war. Besides, my troops have nothing else to do anyway.

pFEKlVB.png

White peacing Pomerania because I don't care it... Would take a war reparation and his money but Poland doesn't seem to care about Pomerania.

RaLHxZZ.png

Took diplo tech because an embassy is great when you have lots of vassals.

159iLP5.png

Poland white peaces but after exploring the Eastern borders of Muscovy, I decide it's worth releasing Perm as my vassal and blocking Muscovy from colonising... Also Pirireis had asked for colonization, so here it is, I'll be the new Russia when Perm is integrated lol.

eGGRUNs.png

Oh good lord... My beloved 3/3/3 son is dead. Now I have no heir. Maybe I should just end the war as soon as possible so that my Sultan can make himself a new heir at home... (jokes aside war doesn't affect heir chance)

SATGta5.png

Go home Denmark, you're drunk...

z46WZgt.png

After I've killed his last army, and finally without any bug, I'm able to white peace him. Call for peace is getting worse and worse but It's just a matter of time before I'm done with the last siege... Besides my warscore has skyrocketed to %99. Hadn't the bug happened, I'd get the same ws years ago but well... Can't do nothing about that.

oL7X1fg.png

Finally it's ended. I gave all the provinces covering Moscow to Ryazan, because you can't directly take a capital unless it's isolated. Will take Moscow in the next war. Also since Ryazan is both Orthodox and Russian, it will have less rebels due to true religion + accepted culture. That's why it's useful to make vassals specifically for culture groups/religions. In old times Tartars were one culture, one huge culture and they were in Altaic group. So when you had a Tartar vassal like Crimea, you'd just feed him all provinces from Crimea to Mongolia :D Unfortunately, this isn't the case anymore. Anyway.
I also took 2 provinces for myself . Normally giving provinces to vassals is more efficient but as the Ottomans with Administrative ideas I have very little coring cost anyway and I dont want Ryazan to have even more overextension.
Took Perm's cores to release it.

TkU9IMm.png

When taking provinces from an enemy to release a vassal, think about such things. If you create a vassal in heretic lands, that vassal will have that Heretic religion as state religion(i.e releasing Shia vassal as Sunni) but if you release it in heathen lands, it will have your state religion(i.e releasing Sunni vassal from Orthodox lands)Normally, creating a Sunni vassal in Orthodox lands would mean basically having to deal with endless rebels... Since the vassal can't take them down on his own, you'd have to do it always. And if BT is long it will mean that the vassal will never be able to convert. But in this case I chose Perm for a reason. Perm's ideas makes him one of the best nations to keep heathens under control. Tradition gives +2 tolerance of heathen, and later he will also get -1 unrest and %25 religious unity... Well, he will be integrated by that time so he'll only make use of the tradition. But that's not the only thing! The first idea group Perm takes is religious. Which means he will be converting those provinces soon.

Anyway, I guess that's enough for today. It was a long chapter, but I covered up some topics that I hope will be useful to you. Make sure to comment so that I can know If I'm going in the right direction or not ;)

Last edited: