• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Alright people, important announcement!

I am restarting this AAR, but there will be changes. You see, as I am in IB, I need to write an internal assessment, basically a long essay, on history to pass the course. Last year I looked at Barry Goldwater's impact on the Republican Party, this year I am looking at how Wilson's moral internationalism affected Harding's foreign policy. In writing this paper I have found yet more evidence that Woodrow Wilson was basically terrible and I figured that this AAR needed changing. Therefore this weekend, I am beginning a new AAR, The American Experience 1912-1964, which will begin with the election of 1912 and which I hope will be a bit more regular than the last one. It will still be a history book style AAR, it will still feature Burton Wheeler and the rest of the popular cast of characters we all know and love and it will permit me to begin some more, hopefully interesting plot threads.

The new AAR will include:
Smoke-Filled Rooms
Espionage
Burton Wheeler
Warren Harding
Burton Wheeler getting mad at people
World War One
Isolationism
Russian Civil War stuff
Roman von Ungern-Sternberg
Billy Mitchell
The United States Navy
Badly written action scenes
Stuff about the Mexican Civil War and Latin America in general
Lots and lots of stuff about the Senate
And hopefully bi-weekly, if not more frequent, updates

Oh and expect a nice opening action scene as the first post, it will be taking place in the first year of the AAR, ten points to whoever guesses the location and what Taft aide is going to be in it.

Last edited:
Alright people, important announcement!

I am restarting this AAR, but there will be changes. You see, as I am in IB, I need to write an internal assessment, basically a long essay, on history to pass the course. Last year I looked at Barry Goldwater's impact on the Republican Party, this year I am looking at how Wilson's moral internationalism affected Harding's foreign policy. In writing this paper I have found yet more evidence that Woodrow Wilson was basically terrible and I figured that this AAR needed changing. Therefore this weekend, I am beginning a new AAR, The American Experience 1912-1964, which will begin with the election of 1912 and which I hope will be a bit more regular than the last one. It will still be a history book style AAR, it will still feature Burton Wheeler and the rest of the popular cast of characters we all know and love and it will permit me to begin some more, hopefully interesting plot threads.

Smoke-Filled Rooms
Espionage
Burton Wheeler
Warren Harding
World War One
Isolationism
Russian Civil War stuff
Billy Mitchell
The United States Navy

Oh and expect a nice opening action scene as the first post, it will be taking place in the first year of the AAR, ten points to whoever guesses the location and what Taft aide is going to be in it.

YAY!!! You're back. Also, glad someone else thinks Wilson is terrible. I've never really understood the veneration of a man who institutionalized segregation in the federal government.

Could you post the link to the new aar here when you start it? Else I might miss it I'm afraid.:)

Granted, you had me with the Khan. Looking forward to the next instalment.

Is Roman von Ungern-Sternberg going to get a shot at forming the Mongolian Empire? He is the reincarnation of the war god, after all :)

Also there is not enough hate for Woodrow Wilson in the world. I am glad people in this thread tend to agree!

You have made a damn fine AAR and I look forward to the second edition!

Last edited:
Wow, that got a lot more response than I anticipated! I'm issuing a general thank you to everyone for the amount of love this AAR got.

@anakin: Yeah I know right, the dude was, among other things, massively racist.
@Nikolai: When it starts up, I'll post that link here for convenience
@Milities: Yes, Sternberg will get a nice appearance in this game
@Xie: Not only that, I plan on improving techteams and ministers as well, plus I might even convert the Anatolian Wars mod to Darkest Hour.
@Mkoll13: Thanks for the complement and yes, Sternberg will get a shot.
@De Cive: Thanks for the link

So, does anybody want to hazard a guess as to the location of the first action sequence?

Smoke-Filled Rooms
Espionage
Burton Wheeler
Warren Harding
World War One
Isolationism
Russian Civil War stuff
Billy Mitchell
The United States Navy

So, does anybody want to hazard a guess as to the location of the first action sequence?

I'm gonna go, be blunt and say a smoke-filled room :p

I'm looking forward to your next AAR. :)

As for Wilson, it's all the Republican Party's fault that he won two elections. Why? They kept nominating Presidential candidates with facial hair at a time when the electorate wanted someone without facial hair to sit in the Oval Office. It took the GOP until 1920 to catch up with the changing times.

...this year I am looking at how Wilson's moral internationalism affected Harding's foreign policy.

Had the 1916 election gone the other way, you wouldn't be writing that essay at all.

I'm looking forward to your next AAR. :)

As for Wilson, it's all the Republican Party's fault that he won two elections. Why? They kept nominating Presidential candidates with facial hair at a time when the electorate wanted someone without facial hair to sit in the Oval Office. It took the GOP until 1920 to catch up with the changing times.

Had the 1916 election gone the other way, you wouldn't be writing that essay at all.

*cuts goatee and mutton chops off* You were saying? :p

While I appreciate the analysis of Republican nominating strategy vis-a-vis facial hair, I suspect that their recent successes with the bemoustached Taft and Roosevelt blinded them to voters' sudden abandonment of well-follicled candidates.

In any event, my laptop's hard drive appears to have died Friday morning, leading to the rather distressing loss of my update in progress and of basically all of my other school work of the past three years, including various critical assignments which are basically irreplaceable. Anyway, the revival is in the works, but matters of school and hard drive death will likely delay any update until at least Friday. But I hope that the setting and the action in my inaugural update will somewhat compensate you folks for the delay.

While I appreciate the analysis of Republican nominating strategy vis-a-vis facial hair, I suspect that their recent successes with the bemoustached Taft and Roosevelt blinded them to voters' sudden abandonment of well-follicled candidates.

In any event, my laptop's hard drive appears to have died Friday morning, leading to the rather distressing loss of my update in progress and of basically all of my other school work of the past three years, including various critical assignments which are basically irreplaceable. Anyway, the revival is in the works, but matters of school and hard drive death will likely delay any update until at least Friday. But I hope that the setting and the action in my inaugural update will somewhat compensate you folks for the delay.

Ah, yes. The computer failure. The great curse of the AARlander. I hope it can be fixed and your assignments retrieved.

Okay, so the guys at the computer repair shop described the situation to me thusly: "Your hard drive basically said 'screw it' and put a gun in its mouth". Anyway, they said that most of the data would be recoverable, but what this basically means is that I'm stuck playing catch-up until at least Friday. The revival is coming, I have much planned for it, but as Hamlet said "Frailty thy name is technology!" and thus I am buffeted against the rocks of hard drive failure by the cruel winds of fate.

Okay, so the guys at the computer repair shop described the situation to me thusly: "Your hard drive basically said 'screw it' and put a gun in its mouth". Anyway, they said that most of the data would be recoverable, but what this basically means is that I'm stuck playing catch-up until at least Friday. The revival is coming, I have much planned for it, but as Hamlet said "Frailty thy name is technology!" and thus I am buffeted against the rocks of hard drive failure by the cruel winds of fate.

In my book, you know it's bad when you start talking like Shakespeare.

Good luck buddy.

THE REVIVAL IS HERE!!!​

The American Experience is getting a re-boot and in the good sense, not in the Total Recall sense!

Come and join the cool kids over at The American Experience 1912-1964, now with exciting new butterflies!