• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

vanin

Colonel
72 Badges
May 7, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sengoku
  • Rome Gold
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Heir to the Throne
  • For The Glory
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • BATTLETECH
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
Epirus AAR, by Vanin

This is my first AAR. Even though, I hope some people might enjoy it :) .
Patch: 1.2
Mod: Lofman’s and some parts of SPQR, including NIs. Also trireme cost 10->5 gold a piece, to encourage ship buidling by the AI (and by me).
Difficulty: Normal
Primary goals: Settle a peace with Rome that is either benifical or not too bad (i.e. cede my ally's province, Ager Bruttius). Would my Italian expedition fail, Macedonia is my target. If I fail there, I am dead :( .

Chapter I – The Pyrrhic War

Pyrrhys.jpg

The king of Epirus, Pyrrhus the Brave, has great ambitions. Historically his aim was to conquer the Romans, secure Sicily and then invade Carthage. We all know he did not succeed, but he is still famous. The phrase “pyrrhic victory” still echoes through our days when meaning a far too costly victory.
Hopefully, my AAR won’t involve any pyrrhic victories, atleast not for me.

bild1.jpg

My small country starts divided. 2 provinces and nothing more. I have 2 triremes, and 9 thousand militia. Was it this army that nearly brought the Romans on their knees? Where are my elephants?
Lucky for me, the mods solve this problem. At 2nd January I receive another 21000 soldiers, including elepthants, as well as 9 triremes. All in all, my force now numbers 30’000 soldiers, and 11 triremes. The Roman armies are still bigger, and their fleet is aswell. Also note that their manpower is higher, too...

I pick National Ideas. I get +20% global tax income as a Federal monarchy if i choose the 3 right NIs. Since my army will be pulling a great deal of salary every month, this is needed to keep my eceonomy solid.

bild2.jpg

On the 1st of February I have landed another 4000 militia in Tarentum to encourage the Romans to stay away for a while. Meanwhile, my fleet continues to the Strait of Messene, to encounter the Roman fleet. Pyrrhus commands this fleet, since I can secure Syracusae and Epirus if the Roman fleet is sunk. Also, my army at Sicily (18000 men) can’t pass if the Romans block the strait, and then I would be lost.

In Mare Inferum, I am victorious in 3 major engagements at sea. The first two are without casualties, the third result in 3 roman ships at the bottom of the Mediterranean. At the same time, 10’000 romans are defeated at Tarentum by Epirote-Magna Graecian forces.

A Carthaginian assassin murders a general with 8 martial. This is disturbing, however not unusual. Carthage usually intervenes in the conflict.
Atleast I manage to annihilate 7000 romans at Ager Bruttius, whilst I lost 17 men only. So far the war is going just as intended, except for the fact that assassins and other agents close in on my court.

bild3.jpg

Damn those Carthaginians! I can barely handle Rome and now Carthage close in on my borders? There sure is no justice.

In late August 474 i settled military access to all greek minors. Would the campaign to Rome fail Macedonia is my target, and the minors will ally either Macedonia or eachother, so the access is good whatever happens.

bild4.jpg

The first battle I have actually been awake enough to record. 17k Epirotes under Pyrrhus’ command against 5k Roman heavy infantry under Quitnus Mamilius Citulus’ command.
All together i roll 7 against 5. My elephants most likely tear into the Roman ranks something like this:

bild5.jpg

It doesn’t really matter how the elephants tear into the Romans, just that all of them died.

ANOTHER WAR! Carthage declared war on the 11th of November 474. Damn those child eating pigs! I will have to sail down with one of my to armies to protect Sicily, and use my fleet to protect Epirus... Tough situation. Atleast the romans stepped on another land mine, and suffered 1900 vs 90 casualties at Tarentum.

On the 6th of December Lucania falls to Pyrrhus after two assaults.

bild6.jpg

I also sail with my fleet (11 ships) to the coast of Africa to engage the Carthaginian transporters.
Apulia was captured on the 16th February. At this point, the war is going ridiclously well, except for Carthage’s presence in Sicily:

bild7.jpg

Just note that Syracusae is soon to fall, and just after this picture my army at Apulia was defeated and forced to flee.

21st July, 475. The romans are totally scrapped in Samnium. 12500 dead, their last big army. Carthage has still not used their navy. Weird.

End of Chapter I

Last edited:
Welcome to AAR-writing.

It's a tough situation for Epirus to start it, but thus far acquitting yourself well.

Interesting, I agree with stylan, it'll be a difficult start, but I'm sure you'll make it ;)

Nice start, and good to see another Rome AAR :)

It is wierd that carthage hasn't used thier navy, normally they like to attack your macedonian province, so watch out for that :eek:

Chapter II - The Pyrrhic War continues

First off, an overlook of the world in October 475:
Egypt is apparently battering Seleucia badly, and Tylis(!) has has progressed far into Macedon, together with Illyria. Bosphorus is being stamped by the 3 surrounding tribes.

b8.jpg

13th November 475, Epirus lay siege to Rome itself! The romans suffer light losses compared to mine, but make their escape to Etruria. At the same time my wall in Syracusae is breached by the Carthaginians... They will encounter my wrath! later...

Despite the faults on Sicily, the war in Italy is exceeding my expectations:

b2.jpg

We proud greeks have captured two cities, and laid siege to another four. The roman army consists of 14 units, and 9 of them are demoralized and not at max numbers. Pyrrhus better deal with them soon, however.

b3.jpg

Oh noes! The child eating pigs have captured Syracusae! My income is cut down, and soon every parent in Sicily will be childless! I must do something about it, but Carthage have to wait, Rome goes down first!

b4.jpg

Check the dices in this battle. 10 v 1. The romans had 18k soldiers before the battle, i had 15k. The battle waged back and forth: The roman commander soon rolled 9 and Pyrrhus ‘only’ 7. My morale was close to break, but then Pyrrhus staggered the romans with 9 versus 3. The romans fled in panic, back to Etruria. I lost 2000 roughly, the romans lost 11000 ^^. I love ya Pyrrhus, continue like this.

Interesting development:

b1-1.jpg

Yeah, it is Tylis who owns Thessaly. With Lofman’s mod Tylis and Macedon start at war (to simulate the gallian invasions) and are quite even. This time, Tylis was victorious, pretty much because of 10k Illyrians invading in the middle of 475.
Elsewhere, Egypt controls Syria, but is losing Anatolia. I have no doubts that the Seleucids will lose that war, but during the peace with Egypt they will gobble up the small states around. No probs for big evil yellow.

Now Pyrrhus will (hopefully) end the last Roman army in the field. Rome has lost some 50’000 manpower during this war. Despite starting with 4x my manpower bar (wich is soon-to-be depleted) they are losing. And then I’ll have to show Carthage Syracusae is mine... gah!

b6.jpg

11th August to 15th August: Both Campania and Rome give up, ending the sieges. Pyrrhus lost to the Romans in Etruria, and ended up in Liguria. This has no major impact of the war though, it will just take some more time. But a peace might aswell be the thing I need. 92% warscore, and Rome seems to be willing to accept a peace. I’ll give it a try.

b7.jpg

Peace! The romans accept my demands. I took all their remaining gold, aswell as their iron-province and wood-province, leaving them with mercenaries or crappy militia. I would say that Rome as a superpower is at an end even before it could begin.
Now, onwards ye men in yellow, to Carthage!

Naval clashes with Carthage mostly result in epirote victories. Now the invasion of Sicily can be put in motion.

During the preparations i was bombarded with 2 revolt inciters a month from Tylis and Illyria. Lucania ended up with 76% revolt risk... Imprisoning/head-chopping the agents would only mean casus belli, then a war against hairy Mel Gibsons in dresses swinging swords and axes... aka Tylis. That’s a war I can’t afford.

namnls.jpg

The battle for Sicily. I am outnumbered 5 vs 2, and Pyrrhus is outmatched with the dice. When Adonibaal rolled 10 and Pyrrhus 6 i despaired, and took of to Syracusae. After that, I sent a diplomat, offering Syracusae in exchange for peace.
I simply can’t afford the war any longer, i got no manpower, and with Pyrrhus locked in sicily and outnumbered, my army would be gone. With a swift peace, i can atleast keep my cohorts, and wait for them to be refilled – I have the cash to maintain them after the peace with Rome.

b9.jpg

Not what I would have wanted, but it was necesary if i wanted to keep my current domain. This marks the end of the Pyrrhic War, wich meant alot of gains in Italy, but a lost Sicily, and civil war possibility...

Last but not least, an overlook of my kingdom:
b10.jpg

Not too bad! 4 more years, a war with Rome, and they will be reduced to an OPM (hopefully). Then some Magna Graecia backstabbing.

End of chapter II

Last edited:
@ Gigalocus - Exactly, for now... I can sense that some really bad things are in the fold, just waiting to attack me while i am unprepared!

@ comagoosie - great :) i just gotta hope my expansion doesn't backstab me...

Chapter III – Gallian War, Roman War, and consolidation

My citizens were tired after the 66 month-long war. War exhaustion was high, and with it the revolt risk. On top of that, I had no manpower. But i do have much militia, and they are, for the time being, not needed. Therefore i disband them all to increase my manpower by 9.2k, and I can start recruiting real soldiers, aswell as replenish Pyrrhus’ army.

q1.jpg

I hover the mouse at my manpower, and realize I currently get 59 guys ready for war, each month... Will take me years and years again to refill my armies. I need greek clutured provinces en masse to make due.

Mercenaries are recruited. Also, I send an assassin to murder Macedon’s king, hoping that the fop gets caught and chopped. Macedonia is a tributary and has no allies except for tiny Sparta. Euboea and Argolis both are greek = more manpower.

Sparta has 4000 soldiers, Macedon has 14000. I have to watch revolts in Italy whilst i am on a campaign to Greece... Will be some problems, but hopefully manageable.

The attempt to murder the macedonian king failed, and i wasnt discovered either. Instead, Tylis sent an assassin, who succeeded, and it granted me a CB. Perhaps i should take Thessaly first?

Tylis is allied to Scordisci, a small thingy in Pannonia. Tylis is also split in two – i could easily defeat them in Thessaly and grab it.
And so the declaration of war is sent to Tylis on the 24th October 480. Pyrrhus will march to Thessaly, while my fleet will keep any gallian ships at bay.

q2.jpg

Thessaly falls on the 28th of June. Apparently macedonia pays ttribute to Tylis, who therefore can pass through their territory... a miss by me, hope I can win anway.

Pyrrhus captures Thessaly, and then defeats 10’000 gallians there. These then flee to Epirus, with Pyrrhus leaving his cavalry commanded by his son, and pursues the Tylasian army.
The gallians are defeated again, and flee to Thessaly... 1.2 and still ping-pong?

December 482, Macedonia cancels tribute and declares war upon Tylis. This is a dream! If i can manage to get peace with Tylis, i can attack Macedonia and grab their greek provinces. But of course that’s a big ‘if’.

I kill the gallian army in May. At the same time Pyrrhus’ son Alexander proves incompetent after two lost battles during an expedition to Thracia.

q3.jpg

Peace! I gain Thessaly along with 30 gold. This will be enough to raise some mercenary regiments. Then it’s Macedonia’s turn.

The ground shakes, the mountains crumble! Rome declares war on the 20th November 482. I am highly unprepared, but it can prove a success if Pyrrhus just can do his uber dices.
I lose Etruria on the 21st of April 483, but i am victorious down south. Also, the roman fleet is sunk again.

q4.jpg

The roman armies, mostly consisting of militia (right provinces gained last war?) are soundly destroyed.

q5.jpg

q6.jpg

Beyond that, Massilia, the roman ally, is inactive.
Soon enough my ally, Magna Graecia the bastards, get Picenum from Rome in a separate peace. Atleast that’s good for me: now i can get Samnium and Umbria for myself.
Besiegeing all roman provinces left, I will attempt to extract as much i can from this war.

Massilian forces intervene at Etruria, but Pyrrhus drives them away. Just days later Umbria falls, and i can sign a peace with Rome, wich ensures that Rome will never be able to act without my intervention again:

q7.jpg

And now, with the wars over, I will rest, build irrigations, and hopefuly convert some provinces. Time for consolidation that is. After that i will try to wrest Argolis and Euboea from Macedon, and establish good relations with the Seleucids/Egyptians.

q8.jpg

That’s how the East looks. Apparently Seleucia was scrapped by Armenia... never seen that happen before. A too early Tigranes?

q9.jpg

Besides, i just found myself with this general. 10 martial, 3 finesse, 3 charisma. He’s perfect. Too low charisma to get many loyal soldiers, excellent martial to pound any enemy.

q10.jpg

This is my realm now. Spanning from the Aegean in the east to Gaul in the west. Rather big if you ask me. And Pyrrhus isn’t dead yet. Too bad his son and heir, Alexander, is a pof without future...

End of chapter III

I will try fix it, hopefully just copypasting the pictures (since I can still see them), replacing them at the photbucket and then putting them in the text again, will make it work. Thanks for noticing, guess a pictureless AAR is like a football match without a ball :wacko: .

Last edited:
The aars is readable for me, and that pics are fine.

Great to see a new rome aar! :cool:

pyrrhic victory seems to be meaning something like going with elephants through the enemy infantry? :p

Trading Syracuse for Italy is a good trade :)

Great war! Good victory against the Romans. Time to secure all of Italy for yourself

Tylis took out Macedon. That's good going. Epirus destroyed Rome in three wars (assuming one to annex).

Great going. Two of the top five gone and Armenia cutting the Seleucids in two and Epirus' main rival is Carthage. A rush on north africa might catch Carthage unawares and have Pyrrhus do it befiore his son will lose it all. You lucked out with that 10 general. Likely to stay loyal in a(ny) civil war.

This is great. Finally another one of those AAR's that I can actually read. I mean, writing is fine, but to me, reading gets so boring. This might actually be one of 2-3 current Rome AAR:s that I can read chapter for chapter without dying out of tremendous boredom. :eek:

By the way, is the Selucids still at war/soon going to war with any one of their nemesises? (egypt/armenia as it would seem)

For if they are, why not turn the colours (not much changing between Selucids-Epirus though) of another superpower? Or alternatively if Selucids win ( :eek: ) attack their enemy (well, Armenia might prove a hard foe, but Egypt?)