• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

GunthiHrod

Captain
86 Badges
Nov 14, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Knights of Honor
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Majesty 2
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
EU4

Wealth of Nations
Res Publica
Conquest of Paradise
Art of War

Age of Discovery​

Cross_of_Portuguese_Air_Force.svg

The why?
Reading this Byzantine AAR I was inspired and try to do something.. well.. 10% as good...

Index:
D.Pedro - The Regent and The Diplomat
1444 - The Begining.
Castile Call of Arms
The King Death?

D.Afonso V - The Expansionary

D. Afonso VI - The Colonizer

Regency

D. João II - The Aragonese

D. Maria I - The Peasant

D. Sebastião I - The Great

D. João III - The Pacific

D. António I - The Builder

D. Afonso VII - The Colonies Builder

Regency

D. Pedro II

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

D. Pedro – The Diplomat

In the Year of Our Lord 1444, Kind D. Pedro rules Portugal with the counsellors Theologian Administrator Rafael Brito (+2), and the military commander Sebastiao Faria (+1).
Arnaldo Fernandes, a navigator is discharged from the service of the court, due to excessive navigators.
This is the official history, but some say that it was due to rivalry about a woman.

To assert the house of Avis, D. Pedro had the need to create good relations with the countries of the Iberian Peninsula, Castile and Aragon.
He decided to seal an alliance with Castile marrying him with the oldest child of Castile, Maria and his daughter Maria with Ferdinand of Aragon. They call the Maria’s weddings.

D Pedro established as objective to gain ground against the infidel Moors and Morocco is the closest infidel.
It set them as is main Rival and target.

To fortify Christianity he took the decision “Advancement of Religion Act” that helps the missionaries converting the non-Cristian population.
The problem with this act, were that revolts were more likely to happen and did not immediate happen in Ceuta, because twelve revolt regiments were bribed with 30 ducats.
001_Revolt.png

Some Nobles in Ceuta, ally with Morocco.
D. Pedro believing that these men were accomplices with the previews revolt attempted had them hang and insults Morocco’s for complicity.
002_Insult.png

After that, it took one year to prepare the army, and on the 27th June 1447 with the help of our new ally, Castile, Portugal declares war on Morocco.
14.000 men and 4.000 Knights lead by Dom Álvaro Vaz de Almada left Ceuta to win the battle of Casablanca, killing 5.000 Moroccans at the expense of 1.578 Portuguese men.
In Ceuta, the victory had a cost, more causalities than the Moroccans. D. Álvaro lost more than half of his cavalry.
But he chases them and in Ifni all were killed, leaving no one alive.
003_Battles.png

The Nobles continues to raise problems and instability.
To try to erase some of it, D. Pedro had to pay 78,35 ducats (loosing just 1 stability)

In December, after 197 days of siege, Tangier is Portuguese.
The Moroccan Barque that was there were intercepted when trying to escape and sunk.

The problem with the Family Secret, Inês de Castro causes a loss of the King prestige.
004_Scandal.png

After more than a year of siege, on 17th February 1449, Casablanca, finally succumbed.
In November Marrakech with a siege that last less than a year, also succumbed.

On 9th November 1449 Azores is strike by Plague.
The King decides to do nothing. Sending 50 ducats (almost all kingdom treasure) to help them at this time, it hasn’t a possibility.

After the fall of Sus, in March 1450 Morocco accepts peace ceding Casablanca, Tangier and renouncing Ceuta.
D. Pedro didn’t forget is allied, and reword Castile with Melilla.
2 Years and 9 month took the war.

005_Peace.png

Algiers enters into a Military Coalition against Portugal.
Instead of being worried, the Kind decided to take advantage of the situation and soon after, it declares war on Granada. Once again, Castile had answered the call.
Granada was allied with Algiers and Morocco, but since Morocco had made peace, the King thought that they wouldn’t ally with them, for the sake of their stability.
He was wrong.
Two Barque in the Straits of Gibraltar were sunk by the Portuguese navy.

Bourgeoisie Request Privileges.
The Bourgeoisie class had grown increasingly resentful of the power of the noble families and particularly their lack of opportunities in the higher ranks of government. Their only route into power is to marry into poor but well titled noble families or try open positions in government circles.
The Kind deny that privileges losing some (50) administrative power in the Bourgeoisie protests.
Nobility is not something that people buy, said the King.

The King of England wish to enter a Royal Marriage with Portugal and D. Pedro accepted.

006_Naval_Granada.png

Taking advantage of the poor transport capability that Portugal had, when the man attacked Gibraltar, the Algiers attacked the small army left behind in Tangier.
3.000 men were slaughtered in the hands of 11.000 Algerians (6.000 men and 5.000 Calvary).
Ahmad II took the first victory and the first Portuguese defeat.
The King would take is revenge, but in that moment the only thing that was done against the Algiers was to blockade the Gulf of Almeria and with Castile sunk one Algiers Barque.

007_Algiers_Battle.png

After sieging Gibraltar and Castile sieging two Granada provinces, 9.000 men landed in Casablanca, but the Algiers and Morocco with 11.000 men, attacked them.
Despite being outnumbered, Portuguese army were best and in their favour, had the defensive side of the river.
008_Algiers_Battle_Won.png

Gibraltar took 331 days to be taken.
After that, the King decided to make peace with Granada.
They cede Gibraltar to Portugal and Almeria to Castile.
The King never forgot is friends … and family.
The war lasted just 1 year and 1 month.
009_Granada_Peace.png

Never the less, many Castilians think that Melilla was a poison gift.
One revolt of 7 Regiments was assaulting the castle.

010_National_Idea.png

One new advance in administrative technology takes us to the Exploration Ideas.
We now have Colonists to colonize native land.
Algiers mark Castile as Rival and Castile mark France as Rival.

Now that Portugal is finally at peace, the Statesman Vicente Lemos de Brito, a diplomatic relation is hired.
011_Diplomatic_Relation.png

012_Glory.png

Although the King don’t wish to join another war, he invest in the Last Jousting Tournament.

Never the less, this new tactics were employed against the natives of Rio de Oro and after crushing all of them, the colonies travel to there.

In the next years, the Prestige of the King took same damage with a production research flawed, but is brother; D. Duarte de Avis manage in the next 20 years to gain prestige (+1x20).
013_Prestige.png

Now, the relation with Castile had taken a bump.
Taking Gibraltar to our Kingdom was good to better control both straits (Gibraltar and Ceuta) and gain more trade power (46% of Sevilla trade), but Castile (that also have 46%) believes that Gibraltar belongs to them and giving two provinces doesn’t seem to satisfy them.

014_Gibraltar.png

In March of 1454, Gibraltar is considered part of Portuguese patrimony.
Furthermore, because the rebels took Melina, Castile think that it was a poisoned gift.
Unwilling or unable to defend Melina, they join Morocco in 3 November of 1454.

After the settles starts colonizing Rio de Oro the colonial company goes bankrupt, to prevent half the population come back to the mainland, 50 ducats are spent to help them.

015_Saint.png

On the 21 of May, o Prince Fernando), was considered by the Holy Pope, Saint bringing stability to Portugal.

In this time of peace, a Royal Marriage with the Kingdom of Naples is consummate.

16 April of 1455 Casablanca is also consider part of patrimony.
On August Gibraltar receives is first missionaries to convert the muslins in to Christians.

And in 1456 Algiers failing in the attempt that anyone joins the coalition against Portugal, give up.
016_Naval_Technology.png
… and we used it Caution (+10 Diplomatic Power)

018_Excellent_Year.png
… more man to Portuguese ranks.

6 Rebel Regiments appear in Casablanca in April. They wished to join Morocco.
The King did now act according and they recruited 6 more Regiments in August.
In September, 15 Portuguese Regiments slaughtered them without any mercy.
One month later, Castile that starts the “Castilian Reconquest of Granada” ask for Portuguese help.
019_Castilian_Reconquest_Granada.png

Last edited:
Portugal is always a great country of choice, mostly because of its relatively good geographic position and its opportunities are endless once you get those colonists! I look forward to seeing what you can accomplish.

Cheers!

Good god... what you have written...
I humbly kneel...
Well, I like to play with my country .. and it's fun to try endure the "terrible" Spain.

Professionally or on the forums?! :p Just a few well-received AARs that otherwise took way too long to complete...

I know what you mean by wanting to play with your home country. Plus, Portugal really does have endless possibilities when played well and correctly. And it would appears as if you're well on your way to great success - especially in the new world! Watching how others play with or against Castile I find interesting, since I generally partner with Aragon (completely just flipping my Aragon strategy of allying with Portugal to take down Castile). I fancy you might reject the alliance plea just because the OE is part of the Granada alliance and, since you have nothing to gain from the war, might as well just let Castile get hurt a bit...

I don't know what you do professionally, but if is so applied as in the forums....

Well I could decline to help Castile, beucase like you say, I've nothing to gain, but my King can't ignore the call of arms of is ally agains the infidel.
I prefer to fall into the good graces.

Castile Call of Arms

Answering to the Call made Portugal to raise War Taxes.
The treasury had only 5 ducats and were losing money.
Morocco tries to attack Tangiers, but with less man, they lose.
Portuguese chase and finish them in Melilla.
The same happens to the fighters in Tangiers, Fez, Marrakech and Sus losing a total of 14.010 men.
020_Morocco_Batles.png

Plague in Lisbon appears, and once again the King couldn’t spend 50 ducats to minimize the situation.
The siege of Marrakech finishes with the city in Portuguese hands.
The war was going well, but then 7 fanatics Muslims religions regiments appear in Gibraltar against the conversions and another’s 8 peasant rebels regiment in Marrakech things complicated.

In the sea, the naval battle in gulf of Almeria, were won, sinking 27 vessels at the expense of 4 Cogs.
021_Naval_Battle.png

After 8 victories against the Moroccans, they decide to make peace with Castile and leave the coalition against us.
That was good, because the problem with the rebel peasants in Marrakech was no longer a problem.

Aragon, recognizing our efforts in the war against the infidels, decides to propose an alliance that the King accepted.

A Political Crisis occurs again between King and the Nobles. Not backing down, and to not lose legitimacy, the country lose stability.

Castile was also with revolts. In Canarias 1 regiment of peasant’s revolt.

After regrouping our troops in Granada, occupied by Castile, the notice of the death of Dom Álvaro Vaz de Almada, shock the King.
A great defender of Portugal had died.
The King decides to take arms personally and lead the army against the fanatic rebels.
022_King_Leader.png

The battle was won, without great losses. But in the midst of the festivities the word that the King was death spread among the troops.
No one could believe that the great fighter had lost his life.

Last edited:
Very interesting. I am thinking of doing Portugal for my first game.

I don't know what you do professionally, but if is so applied as in the forums....

Well I could decline to help Castile, beucase like you say, I've nothing to gain, but my King can't ignore the call of arms of is ally agains the infidel.
I prefer to fall into the good graces.

I was more or less joking about the life I have professionally and then the life of AAR writing, which has been graciously received here in AARland, although much of my work takes way too long to finish! The Presidents...5 years...

Anyways, it's nice to see that you stuck it out with Castile, even if Granada was defeated (darn... I have an interesting game with Granada right now, but only into 1461...I kind of cornered myself and have no room to expand anymore)...It's a bit rough that your King took the fall apparently, against rebels no less! :eek: And I have to give my thanks to Álvaro Vaz de Almada, who has helped me out so much when I have played as Aragon! :p Having a commander like him:3/3/3/0 (mostly that decent shock value of 3) can very easily be a battle changer/winner in the early stage of EU4. Much much better than getting a general with 0 or 1 in that department then getting hammered whenever the shock phase of combat rolls around.

Very interesting. I am thinking of doing Portugal for my first game.

The main problem.. is Castile/Spain...

I...It's a bit rough that your King took the fall apparently, against rebels no less! :eek: And I have to give my thanks to Álvaro Vaz de Almada, who has helped me out so much when I have played as Aragon! :p Having a commander like him:3/3/3/0 (mostly that decent shock value of 3) can very easily be a battle changer/winner in the early stage of EU4. Much much better than getting a general with 0 or 1 in that department then getting hammered whenever the shock phase of combat rolls around.

And Ávaro was a good commander :D
The King... is Alive :D

The Kings Death?

In the heat of the Battle the rumour that the King was death was true, but it was the King of Burgundy that died in battle in another battle some days before.
023_King_Death.png

The King returns home, to Lisbon and the chancellors report that they can now recruit explorers and conquistadors.
With that, a colonial rush happens and Rio de Oro grows.

D. Pedro invest Marco Cunha, a conquistador with a great shock capability.
024_Marco_Cunha.png

With 7.000 men they discover Sierra Leone and win a battle against the rebels while in Ceuta the troops beat the Algiers.

Some nobility and businessmen due to the good government of Pedro, gives 37,93 ducats, more than 3 times the actual money in the vaults.
With that, we decided to make new policies to increment global settlers.
025_Colonial_Policy.png

The Algiers continues to fight in Ceuta, but both times they lose.

New advances are made. More good production (+10%) and more colonial range (+50%)
026_Advances.png

In September 1461 the Ottomans try to make peace with Portugal. They wish White Peace.
The King do not abandon his comrades in arms.
Tangiers is now part of patrimony and Berber culture is accepted by the Portuguese.
In March 1462 Algiers concede defeat and makes peace with Castile.
Once again the Ottomans propose peace and the King, once again declined.

Growth of Cities attracts Serfs, but the King doesn’t accept that.
Land morale falls, but that is not a problem for now because main fights are in sea.
027_Growth_Cities.png

Castile had to deal with 10 Peasants regiment in Granada, and Portugal with the fanatics in Gibraltar.
The University of Coimbra continue to give great administrates giving 10 AP (Administrative Power).

In these years, of war, but with no real fighting, Administrative Technology is achieved.
The possibility to build Temples and Constables is now real.

England’s King died. They rearrange another married with Portugal and then try to call to arms against France in the war of “Reconquest of Labourd”.
028_Reconquest_Labourd.png

The prestige King takes a hit of 25, but he couldn’t go to war against France and its allies for some land in France.

300 people flee to Rio de Oro searching for new opportunities and finally the colony becomes self-sustain and less expensive

That allows to start to colonizing the islands of Cape Verde, near African coast that were discover by Marco da Cunha in 1460.
029_Cape_Verde.png

Two major decisions were made. To protect national production, not importing wood from Castile (that would give better opinion from them Diplomatic Power), and protect our markets.

Pedro, was well known for being a womanizer, so, Madonna was not so special…
Of course the Papal State thing otherwise.
030_Decisions.png

D. Pedro, the Regent and The Diplomat - Despite having performed 3 wars, conciliated alliances with Castile and Aragon giving land to its allies.
031_Pedro_I.png

Poor, poor, Burgundy! They never seem to make it out of the 15th century! :p And for good reasons. I presume Austria inherited Burgundy? Although I've seen stranger things, like Hesse one time inherited them, and Castile in another game when I was Aragon! :eek:

Infante Pedro really did a good job in expanding Portugal!

Poor, poor, Burgundy! They never seem to make it out of the 15th century! :p And for good reasons. I presume Austria inherited Burgundy? Although I've seen stranger things, like Hesse one time inherited them, and Castile in another game when I was Aragon! :eek:

Infante Pedro really did a good job in expanding Portugal!

I didn't saw who inherited, but, when I saw that "the King is death", the names that I said it.....

Expanding

032_Kings_Death.png

5th May of 1466, the King is Death, long live the King.
As is uncle, Afonso V, was an Administrator. He wasn't as good as him, much of that because D. Pedro insisted that he manage the sword better then him.
Never the less, he had Rafael de Brito to support him, a man with the gift of speech, allowing soothe any spirits.
033_Goverment.png

To the known World Portugal were a bit behind in Diplomatic and Military technology but we were fine in Administrative technology.
034_Tecnology.png

Afonso V inherited from his uncle the war with Castile against the Ottomans, for Granada.
The war has gone on for 10 years.
Fezian Nationalists in Tangiers/Casablanca (13,6%) and Sunni Zealots in Gibraltar (13,0%) were one of his majors concerns.
The first measure taken was the increase of stability that reduces some of the Sunni Zealots (12%) and Gibraltar becoming Christian also helped.
Castile and Aragon proposes Royal Marriages with Portugal that were accepted, following the Marriage Political of is uncle in the Iberia Peninsula.

In July of the same year, the Ottomans seek peace with the new King.
Despite the prolonged war, he rejects, maintaining faithful to is ally.
The Ottomans trying to force Portugal out of the war by sending one expedition to Ceuta of 4.000 men that were simply slaughtered by the 16.000 Portuguese.
The Ottomans still try and try to make white peace, but the King was irreducible.

The prolonged war with them was wearing the vaults.
Taxes to support the war were raise.

Some nobility and businessmen due to the support and maintain of the measures that is uncle implemented, gave the Kingdom 43,84 ducats, almost 2/3 of the state money.

2 years after coming to the throne, and with the country still at war, Afonso V decided to take advantage of that and declares war on Morocco to expand is domains.
This time, Aragon, the new ally answers the call.

At the same time, the King encourages the Exploration.
035_Land_Opportunity.png

With the land opportunity giving a global settler increasing (+20), the colonial rush happens bringing more (+25) people and with more chances for settlers (+5%).

Not wishing to confront the Ottomans far from our country, and to keep them busy, the King send 0,20 ducats per month to support the Greek Patriots.

In few years Portugal siege all Morocco lands except Mellina that was siege by Aragon.
036_Military_Tecnology.png

In the next 10 months, Sus, Marrakech, Safi, Fez, Ifni and Figuig falls in to Portuguese hands.

The King in this time ignore several problems in the Kingdom that made him lose much prestige but he also support the Florence School that gave him an recover is prestige over the next years.

Exactly one year and one day after the war started, peace with Morocco reaches to terms.
Morocco cedes Sus and Safi, renounces Tangiers and Casablanca and in the tradition of his uncle gives Melilla to his ally, this time, Aragon.
037_Morocco_Peace.png

Castile weren’t very good in keeping grounds in North Africa, since they lost Melilla to Morocco, but Aragon resolved it quite well.
4 Rebels regiments appeared in Melilla, but the poor bastards faced Aragon army of 8.000 men.
After making peace, Morocco joins a Military Coalition… just them.

After 13 years of war, 3 with D. Afonso V as King, it was time to end it.
Castile couldn’t reach terms. They occupy Granada, but the Ottomans do not accept that.
Portugal decided to accept white peace.

Free from wars, the King decided to turn to the intern problems.
All Morocco lands were Sunni so he send is first missionaries to Africa to convert Sus, a province with a gold mine.

With only 770 man available in the Realm, Grabriel Lemos, a military adviser (+1) was employed to bring more manpower.

In 1471 one revolt occurs in Safi, with them taking the Province.
038_Safi.png

The Town of Cape Verde is finally built.

André Machado, great military leader is endorsed to retake Safi.
039_Andre_Machado.png

After dealing with the rebels and sieging Safi, Sunni Zealots appear in Sus which are steady handheld.
040_Rebels.png

Two Years after Portugal peace with the Ottomans, they still refuse to negotiate with Castile.
Algiers, seeing Castile busy and Portugal dealing with the rebels; attack Morocco and ask Portugal to cross it so they could attack Ifni.
The King believing in “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” accepted.

Administrative Technology in Portugal continue to progress.
Three field rotations are implemented and the production is improved just about 10%.

With no wars, and the Budget well balance, Portugal decides to start to colonize Sierra Leone.
But a few months later the colonial company of Sierra Leone goes bankrupt.
To prevent half the population come back to the mainland, 50 ducats are spent to help them.
It was good the intention, but few months later, the savages kill all the colonists.

Nobles believing that the state has lived off the contribution of the nobles for a long period of the time (special after the help at Sierra Leone) decided that now the country has doing well, and so the nobility has eager to get their cut of the cake and ask 110,33 ducats.
Portugal that had only 10 couldn’t give what they want... With this acts stability drops (2).

After the savages kill all colonists in Sierra Leone, D. Afonso V sends troops to deal with them.
André Machado, the commander of this expedition, passing Safi sees some Morocco Patriots trying to siege the castles and resolve to deal with them.
Bad luck this time to the Morocco Patriots that had to fight 20 Portuguese regiments against just 7 of them. With this action, and being afraid of retaliations, Sus converts to Christianity.

Four years after the truce it the Ottomans, Castile it becomes hostile to Portugal. The truce with the Ottomans and the province of Gibraltar that they claimed affected the good relations.

The explorer Marco Rodrigues wrote in his diary, that at 30 May of 1475 traveling to west, found some roots and logs in the sea. Land must be near, but he couldn’t find any.
2 months after his return, the King instructs him to try again, but this time to take the conquistador Alexandre de Bragança.

Influenza appears in Algarve, south of Portugal.
The King decided not quarantine Algarve ports.
That decision just led to spread to the border, Alentejo, then Coimbra and later to Braganza and Porto letting more than half the country (mainland) sick and less production, taxes and manpower (-25%).

Machado is another nice general with that shock of 4 and maneuver of 4! :eek: Lucky to keep getting better than average commanders. And it appears as if you've started to the Scramble for Africa 4 centuries early! :p

The New World awaits your domination... ;)

New World

22nd July 1476 new land is found.
Vera Cruz it’s call.
The new land where the Portuguese landed, is call Porto Seguro (Secure Port).

In that same year, Diplomatic Technology is improved. Docks and Marketplaces can be built.

Algiers that thought they could easily defeat Morocco had 2 provinces occupied by them.
Tunes (Morocco ally) occupy one and has one occupied.
041_Arabs.png

Military technology is improved with better tactics, better infantry shocks, etc.
The first docs of the country start to be built in Lisbon in 1477.
Temples starts to be built in the islands of Azores and Madeira.
It’s a time of improvement and development.

Trying to expand the family by European courts, Afonso V marries is daughter with the Dauphin, heir to the throne of France.

8 Years as pass, after the King made peace with the Ottomans, Castile still fight them.
It proves that it was the right choice.
Safi and Sus are now considered part of Portugal patrimony.

Morocco left the coalition against Portugal in 1478 and one year after, King Afonso V insult them about something related with the traveling to Ifni through Safi.

Aragon as again patriots rebels in Melilla. That province is troubles.
043_Aragon_Rebels.png

In Porto Seguro (Brazil), the colonists repel the savages, earning 200 people.
After rescuing the first two colonial companies, this one paid off.
The Colonial Company arrange a number of marriageable woman, mostly widows, to travel to the colony to see that families are started.
042_Colonial_Marriageble.png

Porto Seguro grows well and in August 1478 turns into Town and the Earth Rampart (type of fort) starts to be built.

044_World.png

Mappa mundi

In 1480, Marco Rodrigues discover the Gulf of Nigeria.
045_Gulf_Nigeria.png

May 1480, the Prince Afonso breathes heavily after been lying in bed for three days.
The King calls the best physicians of the Realm to help him, paying 51,42 ducats, almost 60% of the Royal vault.
Along with all their prayers the Prince recovers, but the disease leaves its marks.

In Brazil, Ilheus, at north of Porto Seguro starts to be colonize.
046_Ilheus.png

The Rebels that Aragon did not deal; conquer Melilla and cross Morocco boarders to arrive at Safi.
André Machado solves the problem twice; because after solving the first rebels (6 regiments), another appear (7 regiments).

Porto Seguro starts to build a Temple by King’s order, however the distance between Brazil and Portugal makes it impossible to manager directly, so, Afonso V implemented a new exploration idea, Viceroys to boost tariffs in 20%.
At the same time, Administrative Technology is improved and allows implementing Expansion Ideas.
047_Expansion_Ideas.png

To expand trade, 3 new Barques start to be built.

Joaquim de Castelo-Branco, an Inquisitor enters the government to try to help the missionaries.
With this new “acquisition”, Casablanca receives a missionary.
048_Missionary.png

Way to "discover" Brazil way too early! :p

Granada must still be allied with the Ottomans so whenever Castile goes to war they can never get the warscore to annex them? Or they've been in war for just a long time...

I am playing Portugal now and I have decided not to take land in Morocco just now, so very interested to see how this goes for you.

I am playing Portugal now and I have decided not to take land in Morocco just now, so very interested to see how this goes for you.

You may spare your forces and money, to the discovery of the new continent or to expand in the unexplore land in Africa.
I couldn' seat back, and not fight against the Moors: P

Morocco War

18th December 1483, D. Afonso V decided that Ifni should be part of our realms and seeing that Aragon had an army of 18.000 in Melille to deal with the Rebels, decides to call them to arms against Morocco and Tunisia.
049_Morocco.png

7.000 men leave Rio de Oro to Ifni and the 12.000 men in Tangiers attack the 5.000 Moroccans station in Fez; losing only 519 men.

In February, Algiers seeking revenge declares war to Morocco and asks military access to us. The King once again, agreed.

A Political Crisis occurs between King and parliament. Not backing down, and to not lose legitimacy, Portugal lose stability.

In the next year, Marrakech (25-07-1484), Tafilalt (19-12-1484), Ifni (17-02-1485) and Figuig (30-07-1485) sieges fall in to Portuguese hands. Fez was control by Aragon.
In August, Morocco concedes defeat to Aragon making peace.
The King didn’t like that they made a separate peace, but, didn’t unbalance the war, and didn’t take Fez (maybe they can’t control a new “Mellina”).

Nothing that Portugal was not used to deal. Rebels in Safi (7 regiments) and then in Ifni (6 regiments) once again are dealt swiftly.

In Sevilla, most that half the trade are dominate by the Portugueses, around 61%.
The possession of Gibraltar, Tangiers and Ceuta helps it very much.
050_Trade_Power.png

In 1486 Military Technology is improved. Large Cast Bronze Mortar can be built, but the King takes no initiative of making new regiments.
051_Military_Tecnology.png

Fez (15-05-1486) sieges fall in to Portuguese hands.
With it, terms were reached and Morocco cedes Ifni, renounce Sus and become vassal of Portugal.
They were now a country without any sea, vassals to Portugal.
052_Peace_War.png

Because Algiers was at war with Morocco and because they were expecting to gain some lands, or they didn’t like that a Muslim country was being vassal of a Cristian King, they didn’t care to continue fighting them.
D. Afonso V, felt that he had the obligation to defend is new vassal joining the war against Algiers.

Casablanca converts to Christianity and missionaries continue their mission to Christianize the new lands, now with Ifni.

Nobles demand increased pension, and this time, for stability sake, the King accepted decreasing 10% in taxes.

In the Strait of Gibraltar, the 12 Portuguese Barques sunk 6 Algiers Barques.

Simão de Távora was employed to try to help supressing the lack of manpower available (+10%).
This was one of the major problems of the Kingdom, special since many were departing to the colonies.

12th June 1486 Expansion and Portuguese Ideas are implemented.
053_Ideas.png

Portugal has increasingly turning to the sea for expansion. It was less expensive, at least in terms of lives.

One of the two colonists was sent to Bahia. This new lands were almost zero trouble, not like Morocco and they were easy for spreading Christianity.
Less than 6 months later, Ilhéus became a Town and the colonization of Espírito Santos begins.
054_Colonization.png

The establish Penal Colony in Bahia is created by Kings Order.
The criminals start to be sent there, making labour force to grow faster as well as the colony.
The problem of this is that it makes the possibility of violence increase.

The war against Algiers, was running on tracks with the conquer of Laghwat (24-11-1486) and Tlemcen (24-04-1487), but when Ifni Sunni Zealots Rebels appears and then are reinforced (8+8) André Machado split the Portuguese forces giving an opportunity to Algiers; that promptly took it.
For the second time in history, the Algiers imposes a defeat on the Portuguese.
This was the first time that artillery was seen in the battlefield by the Portuguese, and quite well by the Algiers, with almost half Portuguese forces dead or left to die in the field.
055_Defeat.png

The Artillery with a better position scared the horses and kills some of the infantry.
Yaghmurasân Behar, with two times the Portuguese forces, inflicted not only a defeat, but a strike in moral, since most man questioned to why bloodshed by Moors.

With André Machado solving the rebels problem, was free to fight in Oran, this time using artillery, with a force almost 4 times bigger, defeat Yaghmurasân Behar.

Portugal, with just 33 ducats and losing money, does not cease to support expanding colonial borders and spend 30 in Espírito Santo, sending 200 people there. 3 months later the opportunity appears again and once again the King supports it, driving the state to take is first loan of 62 ducats.

1st May 1488, after 31 years and 7 months, Castile makes peace with the Ottomans, giving up Granada (that announces Portugal as its Rival).
They lost 31 years in a war, to accomplices nothing. They just lost money and gain no land.
Comparing with Portugal; that the biggest war took no more than 3 years, can’t image what they did to their economy.
D. Afonso V was clever to withdraw from the war 18 years ago.
Never the less, Castile has Portugal in good opinion, although the alliance with Aragon doesn’t seem to please them along with their desire of Gibraltar.
056_Castile_Opinion.png

At least, they stayed behind 11 years in the discoveries.
Without our navigation knowledge, they start to colonize Arguin in Africa.
Castile trusts Portugal implicitly but Portuguese nobles want to break that confidence with war because of Arguin colony.
Good judgment from the King dismissed those thoughts.

The house of Avis was shaken with a problem in the legitimacy (-5) of Afonso’s grandmother. Gossips, that not afflicted the King.

Oran (02-08-1488) takes 453 days to conquer.
With that, the Kind demand 50% of trade power and 52 ducats to help paying the loan early taken.
Peace was accepted by the Algiers.

With peace achieved, D. Afonso V had the idea of Free Colonies exploration, to encourage more colonists (+1) setting sail in the new Word. And to support that idea, more 30 ducats were spend in Espírito Santo, to send 200 people there making that province erect a Town followed by the construction of a Fort.

The exploration continued with the conquistador Dinis Machado taking Fernando Po, an island in Gulf of Guinea and killing the savages.
Dinis Machado also discovers Gold Coast, and eliminates the natives.
Pernambuco is explored and Colonization starts there.

The nobles, not convincing the King on going to war with Castile, tried to convince him to attack Granada. Again the King denied such adventures.
Why should he send his man to die in the Iberian Peninsula for a piece of land, when he could expand without those costs.

Encouraging the expansion of his bloodline in Europe, the King marriage one of his daughter with the heir to the English crown.

With the Realm in peace and with money, spreading the word of “Our Lord” becomes a priority. The people of Ifni convert to Christianity and in Espírito Santo (Holy Spirit) and Ilhéus, temples start to be built.

The modern progress of D. Afonso V was not restricted to technology. He was the first King to employ a Muslaim in his court. Ahmad Barek that would help with the Global Tariffs (+10%).

Sierra Leone starts to be colonized but some months later the colonist died with a savage attack from the natives.

In 1492 corruption is high. The expansion and peace makes corruption bloom and the King aware of that, tries to eradicate. Stability (-1) suffers with that.

Tower of Belém project was present to the King with the promises of more prestige and local defensiveness, but the cost, 130,62 ducats weren’t no match to Portuguese treasury (33).
The King lost (5) prestige with that decision, but the sobriety of the King prevails when he verify the vaults.
057_Afonso_V.png