• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

comagoosie

Perennial Dreamer
53 Badges
Apr 14, 2007
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Surviving Mars
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
The Adventures of Captain Boudewijin Kuijper!

captain-john-foster-civil-war.jpg

Welcome to my first AAR. This is a AAR based off a strange screenshot that I took. An overwhelming amount of people said that it could be made into an AAR. But the person I dedicated this to is Prussia Rules . After pondering it, I decided to please them and write an AAR. Now on to the infamous picture.

papalstatesedited2kw2.png

This is picture is suppose to be at least funny, if you don't get it let me explain. The papal states has a ship loaded with men in the frigid north and the captian is dutch. Take a good look and remember what you see, everything shall be incoporated into this AAR. The first part will be short to see if there is any interest in my continuing the story. Now onto the story:

Chapter 1
The Beginning

It wasn’t what Boudewijin wanted. It wan’t what anyone of his crew wanted. Duty and honor had compelled him through thick and thin, and duty and honor will get him through this. It wasn’t as if he had a choice, it was orders, strict orders, life or death orders, orders that would kill his family if he didn’t complete.

“Captain Kuijper” yelled second-in-command Ivan Gorensky down into Captain Kuijper’s cabin, disrupting his ever-important thinking time, “Boudy we need you on deck." Then muttering to himself, "can’t you hear a darn thing that is important?”

Not listening to his best friend, the weathered seaman leaned towards the window of his pride and joy, The Dutchman’s Pleasure. Frankly he didn’t care if a rogue wave of the Mediterranean came and crashed into the transport killing everyone, even though no one had believed him that rogue waves did exists. He looked back down at his charts on the chestnut table, tiredly, and decided to take a long and healthy swig of the bottle of Burgundy wine right next to them. He couldn’t help to think why he was chosen for this mission. Not being the smartest, strongest, or having the fastest ship probably wasn’t the reason he was forced into this position. While puzzling this mystery out, Ivan kept shouting repeatedly louder, until there was a knock on his door.

Boudy stood up, knocking the chair he was sitting on, down and stumbling on thin air. He steadied himself by spreading his arms out wide, taking a deep breath, and then picked up the bottle of wine and started for the door.

“Must be the sea, she can be rough like this,” mumbled the drunk captain as he tripped again, almost landing brutally on the floor. Straightening out his wine stained shirt he made way for the door, secretly wishing not to trip again. The rolling ship made the journey across the dry floor precarious for him, but he had faith, one of the only things he had faith in nowadays. Upon arrival he searched for the elusive doorknob, meanwhile the incessant knocking kept on. Finding the doorknob, he turned it and opened the door. Nothing happened. Figuring he should look outside the door, he picked his drooping head up and looked at the blurred figure. Ivan stood there silently, legs straight, hands behind back, and head slightly tilted up.

“Yes,” questioned Boudy, wondering what this behavior was for.

“Um…sir,” meekly began Ivan. He took a quick step towards Boudy, took hold of his shirt cuffs, screamed, “we need you on the deck, NOW…sir.”

Ivan’s face was beet red with several veins popping out of his neck. They locked eyes, neither willing to look away. The drunk, being at an obvious disadvantage couldn’t keep his eyes focused and they wondered off. Ivan laughed hysterically and promptly took his hands off the captain. Seeing how Ivan was enjoying himself, Boudy decided to get in on the fun, and started to laugh for no apparent reason. Both continued to laugh until Ivan realized that Boudy was laughing too, and quickly cut his laughter. Unfortunately, the poor man didn’t notice and kept on laughing until he was on the ground crying, but protecting the bottle. Ivan sat there and waited until the merriment subsided, which lasted for quite awhile.

Now that the awkward silence was achieved, Boudy asked, “So what brings you down here, friend?”

“Rome is in sight captain. What are your orders?”

This instantaneously put him in a sober mood. Humbly he mumbled, “Better go check on the passenger then.”

________

[post=7982399]Next Chapter: The Passenger[/post]​

Last edited:
:D Very nice to see you turned this into an AAR, the start is a very nice one and I'm sure it will get even better.

I think this is probably the strangest foundation for a AAR. keep it up :cool:

I'm sold. I want to know who the mysterious Passenger is .... it's better than a Telemundo novella.

Geoffrey said:
I'm sold. I want to know who the mysterious Passenger is .... it's better than a Telemundo novella.
:rofl:

spl: I can't either, ask me in a month and I might.

Pro: it is all thanks to Prussia Rules for giving people dreams!

Geoffrey: you'll find out the mysterious passenger in the next update, which is when, is anyones guess.

hmm...the title screen needs to be jazzed up.

Coudl be fun.

piff133: just wait, it might even get more offbeat.

stnylan: will, this is will be fun!

Fijj: What can I say, it was a weekend and I was bored...

Kazmir: Hopefully part 2 will come today.

Woot, woot today is a snow day, which means we had a 4-day weekend. Yesterday was teacher inservice, so hopefully I will be able to get the 2nd update in. And maybe I should put why the screenshot is weird/funny, that might help my readers!
comagoosie said:
why would the papal states send a ship loaded with men to the frigid north where they will surely perish? Maybe missionaries :D
Prussia Rules said:
The most funny thing maybe is that the Captain is Dutch, looking at his name :p
So that starts off our story with a dutch captain heading for Rome for some unknown reason. Find out in part 2!

I'm I the only one who thinks it strange the Prussia Rules hasn't commented on this yet. It's kind of dedicated to him isn't it?

Chapter 2
The Passenger

“De..dede..da…dum.dum…dada..dedede..daa,” Boudy merrily sang the childhood ditty as he ventured into the heart of the ship. It was dark, and few lights kept entire darkness out, and the room was filled with snores of sailors dreaming of home, so the mood was ruined when he stepped on the wooden stairs, resulting in creaks that would seem to wake the European World. “Now, now, where is our special passenger,” boomed the intruder of dreamland, not caring if anyone wakes, and still drunk this same night. Boudy needed to see the passenger but he knew that he would eventually regret it, but he was optimistic.

Some of the sailors moaned and groaned, but in the end they just turned towards the other side of their cot. They survived a hazardous journey from Burgundy and so should be tired, as the journey had taken them a good month. One of the sailors had the guts, when he was disturbed, to open his eyes and say, “shut up,” but once he realized who it was, he closed them faster than a hound dog on a chicken leg and pretended like he had never awakened.

“Hmph, that is more like,” as Boudy awkwardly walked along the floor. He suddenly remembered where he was going and what he was going to do, it was a tough and long night already for him, and it wasn’t going to get any better any time soon. The passenger that his life depended on was in the room farthest away from everyone, so the drunk his sent course. It was a quite far, as The Dutchman’s Pleasure was a good sized sea-faring ship. Finally getting there, after bumping into a few cots and awakening a few with his steps, he knocked on the door. “Hopefully, I don’t have to open the door, as that cursed doorknob has hid from me again.”

Surprisingly they were up at this hour, but didn’t sound very friendly. “What’s the code,” said the voice. Boudy groaned, how in the world would he remember the code that the person gave him each and every morning that differed? It wasn’t like it was on the forefront of his mind, not including how was he ever going to remember something in the state of being was in.

“I don’t remember, but I am the captain”

“Well, then, no entry allowed”

Unexpectedly a burst of anger swallowed Boudy and spat him back out. He kicked down the door with the force of a dozen men. Dust exploded as it swung violently open, its hinges knocked off the frame. Luckily the sturdy door didn’t splinter or that would have made his day even worse. When all was settled Boudy unshielded his eyes looked inside. A young man dressed in bright red colors sat there kneeling towards an altar. His eyes were wide with the fear of many things, too many for one so young to worry about. The captain wondered why someone so young had so much power, and was so important that his life depended on it.

“Captain,” he breathed, “I didn’t know. You should have remembered the code. Do not scare me, ever again, or god shall frown on you.” His eyes returned to the normal calm and turned towards the altar again.

“My humblest apologies, ordained one,” while unknowingly slurring every word. Boudy started to bow to the bishop, but ended up having to cut it halfway before his fell flat on his face.

“You know, you weren’t suppose to talk to me until we reached Rome.”

“We are,” Boudy explained as the bishop gave a small squeak of surprise. “Now, I got you here, and you are in one piece, and on time, me and my men are going to head home, so get off my ship!”

The bishop coolly turned his head toward the commanding captain, blinked slowly, and whispered, “Your orders are not done.” Then even softer, “We cannot fail now, we must prevail as we have gotten so close, if we can just finish this last part, all of us will be spared.” As Boudy audibly moaned, the bishop finished it off in a holy tone, “God wills it.”

Boudy stormed away, infuriated, his day had gotten a lot worse, as he expected but didn’t get pleasure from. Walking along the rows of cots he suddenly decided to tip a cot with a sleepy sailor in it, over and watch him squeal and squirm as the guy fell from his dreams, and in reply Boudy muttered mockingly, “God wills it.” He started up the creaky stairs, forcibly pounding his feet on each step, making a waterfall of dust rain on whoever was sleeping under the stairs, and walked onto the deck and thoughtfully strolled to the edge where the waves crashed alongside. “Why does he have so much faith? The alliance is going to fail miserably, and we are all going to die.” Boudy twiddled his thumbs in contemplation and stared out into the sea.

Unbeknownst to Boudy, someone was standing behind the captain, listening to his every sound, and watching his every move.

________

[post=7979347]Previous Chapter: The Beginning[/post] | [post=7984913]Next Chapter: Questions Answered[/post]​

Last edited:
Pro said:
I'm I the only one who thinks it strange the Prussia Rules hasn't commented on this yet. It's kind of dedicated to him isn't it?
I PMed him, telling him I dedicated it to him. I guess he is shy like me :D

hmm...my last post doesn't look like I wrote a lot. I thought 900 words was good enough. I guess my next update has to be even longer ;)

At least the captain is a happy drunk :D

Boudewijn means 'bold friend', I'm curious if he will live up to his name :rolleyes:

I usually don't read narrative aars (yah, I'm lazy, too much reading and such is bad for your brains... :)), but this one has me hooked! I'm loving it so far, do go on!

Hah - something tells me that things have a long ways worse to go yet before they get better.

This is far from over, and by how worried the captian looked about the "alliance" this is going to be good.