• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You could use the entire story as one giant prologue and then sneak it into a real game... Of course, I'd rather see you not struggle with your first one too hard. Follow up with the story, entertain as long as you wish, knowing the end is always near - whenever you choose it be.

I always find it very hard writing GC AARS. The pressure to go until the end is almost unbearable :)

Just read the two last chapters. Great done! I'm wondering why Ivan would betray Boudy, we'll see. Glad to see you including a female character!

Capibara said:
Just read the two last chapters. Great done! I'm wondering why Ivan would betray Boudy, we'll see. Glad to see you including a female character!

Politics and friendship don't mix? :)

nalivayko: I understand the first part, but how would I "sneak" into the real game?

Capibara: female characters that are cardinals ;)

nalivayko: say that to hillary and obama :D

After the next chapter I will release a status report that will make understanding easier and refresh our memories, just in case you didn't catch everything in the chapters.

EDIT: The Status Report would be like a detective putting together clues, just to clarify in case there is any confusion.

Last edited:
comagoosie said:
nalivayko: I understand the first part, but how would I "sneak" into the real game?

It would depend on the outcome of your story. Start a game, try to guide it to a point where you left of, find some explanation for the differences between the way the story was told and the way the game went and run with it. It'd be hard and may not be worth the hussle.

Hilary and Obama... just mentioning these two names may turn your post into a political debate. I'll keep my ideas to myself and try not to ruin your AAR ;)

Chapter 6
Trapped!

dungeon.jpg

Fya slowly opened her eyes to an unrecognizable environment.

“Where am I,” was the instinctive response. There was no reply.

Noticing she was laying on her back and it was an uncomfortable surface, she sat up with her feet dangling off something into thin air. She now got a good look at where she was.

All around were forbidding stonewalls accompanied with minimal lighting that came from a small opening in the ceiling and some torch light from outside a barred door. Looking down, seeing that she had been lying on a stone table, made her recognize that her back was stiff and she arched it trying to loosen it. The room wasn’t that big either, barely enough to fit the table, chair, and a pile of hay in a corner, which gave her an uncomfortable feeling in the pit of her stomach.

She knew where this was, and dreaded the notion of staying here any longer. The dungeons weren’t a safe play for anyone, especially for someone who needed to talk to the pope. Even worse, was these were the Pope’s jail cells. She knew because being of the “wrong gender” for a cardinal, often sent her down here away from persecution. She snorted at the thought of ever being accepted by the community, but dreams can come true.

Not knowing why she was here or how she got here, added to the mystery. There wasn’t even any recollection of what had happened after falling off the boat, so how she got here remained unexplained. She even didn’t remember anything after gathering information on The Dutchman’s Pleasure.

Standing up, her knees failed and immediately fell down landing on the useless knees. Being a cardinal and not cursing, Fya’s head lifted righteously, but was full of tears cascading down her face. Crying made it even worse; this wasn’t how a cardinal acted, and this certainly wasn’t where a cardinal should be. She pounded her fists on the floor until they were numb and ringing. Meanwhile, a little puddle made from tears was forming as the never-ending waterfall kept on coming.

When she looked up there was a basket sitting peacefully with bread and a cup of wine, which she could barely perceive. Being suspicious made her look at the basket and see that it was attached to a rope that led up into the ceiling. There they sat looking innocent enough as a tear rolled across her cheek. The cardinal had some dignity left and brushed the tear away as her stomach growled. Now sitting she took the bread, gave thanks, and broke it. The imprisoned cardinal delicately put the bread on her lips, and then gobbled it up, nearly choking on the staleness. The woman spat out some, but was too hungry not to eat some.

Then laughter apparently came from nowhere, yet everywhere at once, it echoed off the walls repetitively, making Fya’s ears hurt. Standing up and putting hands over hurting ears, she pleaded, “Stop, stop, this is not a laughing matter!”

“I have never seen a cardinal bless bread and then spatted out,” this provoked even more hearty laughter.

Not being able to think or see clearly she stumbled around and eventually tripped. She laid there on the ground trying to protect the precious ears from the damaging noise.

“Aww did I hurt yo—,” he was interrupted as someone new, who she could not make out, talked in a whisper to the laugher.

With a resounding, “yes, your holiness,” the door started to lift off the ground and go into the ceiling. Then footsteps resounded off the stone floor in the direction of the prisoner. Fya could make out torchlight coming her way, steadily.

“Cardinal de Villaines, are you here?”

“Yes,” answered Fya humbly, wondering who would come to visit her. The torchlight and the footsteps kept coming closer and closer, until she had to shield her eyes from the blinding light.

Getting the hint, the torchbearer apologized and blew the torch out. This made it so their eyes didn’t have enough time to adjust and they couldn’t see each other. When they finally attuned, they saw who was there, and Fya gave a squeak of astonishment, knowing what such beautiful robes meant.

“Giovanni, what are doing down here, a Pope shouldn’t waste time with unworthies like me.”

“My child,” Giovanni said while sitting down, “do not worry, I am here merely to talk with you.”

The prisoner nodded and asked the most obvious question, “why am I here?”

“To keep you safe and a secret, you know I would never hurt anyone,” Pope Innocent VIII smiled the smile that partly got him elected and opened his arms to her.

Taking them, she hugged the Pope and started sobbing on him, getting the stunning robes sullied. Seeing what she was doing, the cardinal pulled back, and started weeping even more.

Comforting the girl he spoke, “don’t worry, it is fine. If you must know, I was the person who found you limp on the beach, and then I brought you where it would be safe. Don’t be afraid, as do you think I am God, and should be feared? I am only an idol whose hands are tied and whose feet are kissed.”

First, she stared not comprehending what the pope meant. Then it dawned on her.

“Why do you worry for your life? You are the Pope and command ten thousand men.”

“Ten thousand men who listen to their ruler, not me. I have too many enemies, too little friends, and it is too late to save me.”

“I am your friend,” Fya announced, half not believing what the pope was saying. Even if half was true as it didn’t matter because Fya started to weep again.

Giovanni smiled weakly, “I know you are child. Here let me take you upstairs, and hopefully I can arrange you safe passage back home.”

Fya stood up and helped the Pope stand. Once he stood up he fell, but Fya caught him and lifted him back up. They laughed, but it was a weak laugh, a defeated laugh. They walked towards the door with their arms around each other. Stepping in unison and at a leisurely pace, until they made to the gate. When they got out of the gate, there was a group of a dozen people, headed by a cardinal, waiting for them, and they didn’t look too pleased. Worse was that they were standing in front of an impenetrable stonewall.

Greeting them, Giovanni exclaimed, “Brother Pot de la Roche of Bourgogne, Burgundy, glad to see you, where ever that might be, even if it is in the dungeons.”

“You know what I want, step down or die,” Cardinal Pot de la Roche threatened pointing to his mob of followers, who looked eager to obey his every command.

“Why do all Burgundians act so rash,” Giovanni thought aloud, “and why are cardinals nowadays so young?” Looking at Cardinal Pot de la Roche, “now, Josua, don’t threaten me, we are Catholics and we don’t want God to frown on us, do we?”

“That is it,” Josua smiled menacingly, “ATTACK!” Josua threw his arms forward signaling for them to assail.

Immediately a dozen pitchforks showed their nasty heads and pointed it towards the Pope. Giovanni just stood there looking at them saying a silent prayer. Advancing slowly they eventually had Fya’s and Giovanni’s back against the wall.

The assailants had fires in their eyes and in the heart. They mockingly poked them with head of the pitchforks. Yet there was some reluctance to harm the pope and a faithful cardinal.

Josua screamed, “Do I have to tell you what they have done again?”

Fya looked at Giovanni quizzically and Giovanni looked at Fya, then fell to his knees, and mumbled, “I surrender.”

The advancing attackers put up their weapons and waited for their leader’s next move. Unnoticed was the wink that the pope gave to Fya. Getting the hint, she decided to act upon it and charge her way through and escape.

-------​

Boudy was on deck and angry. Ivan, that Russian dog, betrayed him, spied too, and tried to figure out stuff he shouldn’t even worry about. Luckily for Boudy, Ivan was on deck along with him, and was signaling for him to come over where he was.

“What’s wrong captain, why do you look angry. Ivan joked merrily, “Not enough time to sleep?”

“Why you little cur,” Boudy yelled who was starting to run and gain momentum to charge Ivan.

Seeing the captain charging him, Ivan had to keep his calm. “Woah, slow down, I am not the enemy, besides, do you want to commit a sin in front of the car--ishop.” Remembering that the captain hadn’t told him they were carrying a cardinal instead of a bishop, his face got beet red.

Thinking better of it, the captain slowed down and made his way towards Ivan slower, but still infuriated. Ivan pointed to the visitor that Boudy hadn’t yet noticed. It was now Boudy’s turn to change colors, since he acted irrationally in front of a visitor.

He turned to face the visitor and was pleasantly surprised to find out it was Cardinal Van Utenhove. “Hello, Cardinal ready to go back home,” asked Boudy, secretly hopingly for a yes.

“No, I have yet unfinished business to attend to,” was his deadpan response.

Boudy’s heart sank; he had made up his mind what the next plan of attack was for his crew, and it was to leave as soon as possible. “Then why have you come?”

“I need you,” Cardinal Van Utenhove commanded, “come,” and he was already walking away.

“For what,” Boudy retorted. The cardinal stopped and twisted his body so he looked squarely into Boudy’s eyes.

“Come or nightmares shall come true for you,” the cardinal resumed walking away from the ship, “oh, and alone.”

Boudy looked at Ivan and then at the cardinal leaving, and did a couple times until he made up his mind. “I’ll deal with you later,” he said to Ivan, starting to jog to catch up with the Van Utenhove.

“I’m sure you will,” sighed Ivan.

[post=8015086]Previous Chapter: Unlucky Informers[/post] | [post=8061664]Next Chapter: An Usurp​
[/post]

Last edited:
Nice update a lot of interesting stuff in here.
I wonder how there came to be a female Cardinal, and I also wonder what they have done, except I may have a theory.
It seems there is some sort of Papal Coup D'eta in progress, so it will also be interesting to see how that results.

keep up the good work

Reminds me of a cardinal trait in RTW: secretly a woman :)

Nice update, comagoosie, although I was counting on more of a fight between Boudy and Ivan. Betrayed friends often act more irrationaly.

nalivayko: I see what you mean. And don't worry there will be no more mention of Hillary and Obama in this thread.

Cyrus_The_Great: Thanks and we will see.

nalivayko: Don't worry they hate each other guts, but why fight in front of a cardinal and since they are on a ship together, they can fight when ever they feel like it.

Status Report
Between 6 & 7

statusreportbh3.png

The Dutchman's Pleasure and her crew
The Dutchman’s Pleasure: Is a sizeable ship that carried a bishop, who was secretly a cardinal, from Burgundy to Rome. Boudy is the captain and Ivan is the second-in-command. Is the 3rd ship that Boudy has owned and operated alongside Ivan.

Captain Boudewijin Kuijper (Boudy): Captain of The Dutchman’s Pleasure. Looks to be in his 40’s. Is currently docked in Rome and trying to complete a mission that he is reluctant to do. He wants to go home to his 2 daughters, who’s’ names are unknown. Has been friends with Ivan for a long time, yet their friendship is waning due to Ivan’s spying. Is waiting to get revenge when the time is right. May be a drunk. May sometimes have sour humor. Has promised a sailor a reward, yet he hasn’t gotten it.

Ivan Gorensky: Second in command of The Dutchman’s Pleasure. Russian. Probably in his upper 40’s maybe lower 50’s. Had an informer, spy on Boudy and tell him everything. Later Ivan let slip what the spy told him in front of Boudy, knowing that sooner or later he will get the consequences. Has promised a sailor a reward, yet he hasn’t gotten it. Is waiting for a time to strike (whatever that may be)

People of Religion
Pope Innocent VIII (Giovanni): The Italian is currently the Pope, but has too many enemies and too little friends, which threatens his life. Sent Fya on a mission to spy on The Dutchman’s Pleasure. Good friends with Fya. When last saw, he and Fya were trapped and he surrendered to Cardinal Pot de la Roche.

Cardinal de Villaines (Fya): A cardinal in the early 20’s, from Zeeland, Burgundy. Has faced prosecution her whole cardinal life, yet doesn’t give up. Was sent on a mission from the pope to gather information on The Dutchman’s Pleasure and her crew. After completing the mission, touching land, she went unconscious and supposedly Giovanni brought her back and put her in the prison. Is now cornered along with the surrendered pope, and her last ditch effort was to charge her way to safety.

Cardinal Van Utenhove (?): We don’t know much about him. On the passage over from Burgundy he played a bishop. He is from Holland and a young man, yet very commanding. Maybe the same age as Fya.

Cardinal Pot de la Roche (?): A cardinal from Bourgogne, who wants Giovanni to step down from Pope. He is about to force Giovanni to surrender. Are advise to use caution around him.

Other
The alliance: Ivan has a theory about it. The growing rebellion inside Protestant Burgundy is led by catholic cardinals and priests. The rebellion needs an ally to help take down Burgundy. If the pope said that Burgundy is heretic, then every nation would be against them and the rebellion would have a chance to form its own nation.

End of status report

Last edited:
Chapter 7
An Usurp

150px-Tiara.png

In mid-charge, Fya calculated the path that had the greatest possibility of her escaping. Since the corridor was blocked, she deduced that two scrawny men wearing rags in the middle of the formation would do. They were still unaware of the actions the cardinal was making, keeping their focus on the humbled pope. By the time they did notice what was going on it was too late.

Fya crashed into the two hapless men and tumbled down with them. Notwithstanding the impact, the momentum of the charge sent to rolling upstairs. Unfortunately, for the two men they landed cruelly onto the floor, with bones cracking. She stood up, outwardly unscathed, straightened herself, and without looking back, sprinted up the winding stone staircase and hopefully to escape. When at the top of the stairs, there was a forbidding wooden door with latches made of rigid iron. Luckily, when she tried it, the door opened without a hitch.

The blinding light of the outdoors greeted her. Blindingly, took a step back and put a hand up to shield the eyes, until they adjusted to such a stark change. Fya had not seen sunlight in a day, a severe adjust from the dimly lit dungeons. What greeted her when the time came, gave her pure joy that was almost disbelieving.

The door gave way into a sprawling unattended outdoor garden. The sun was at its zenith, shining down upon fountains spraying water into a miniature pond where she could see fish and frogs merrily minding there own business. There were hedges that were around the perimeter of the pond and surrounded the brick pathways, coupled with bushes along the outside.

There were voices now, and getting closer every second that she stood still and took in the scenery, which she had seen on a daily basis already. She chided herself on being lackadaisical, and determined that she needed to find a hiding place to hunker down in. Thinking that the bushes would suit she jumped into them, but soon found out they held prickers that waited for anyone ignorant to touch without looking.

Now squirming with pain, and her simple prison clothes ripped, yet not wanting to make noise she ditched that plan and crawled under the hedges. Surprisingly, there was enough room for her and plenty to spare, it is as if someone had already been there and cleared some room. Meanwhile, the voices got repeatedly closer until the Fya able to see the owner’s, so instead of getting into a comfortable position she watched.

The angry rag-tag group was running upstairs without Cardinal Pot de la Roche trailing behind. They split up in search of the escaped cardinal. A pair of them came by Fya, one of them happened to be the one she charged, and was limping, with her overhearing their conversation.

“Where dis thee girl, that wench ungratefully runs me over, and His Holiness wansts to sees her,” he hotly declared, “if I finds her, His Holiness may onlys be gettin her corpse.” They continued by her without noticing her, so a sigh of relief was fitting.

That shook the cardinal to the bones. Who were these people? Why did they hate Giovanni and her? Nothing made sense to her besides the fact that the way she was sitting was awkward. Rearranging herself to sit contented, she froze when a pair of searchers passed a hairsbreadth away, but again, not noticing someone was hiding under the hedges. The cardinal exhaled deeply, relieved that no one found her yet. The only problem was, where is Giovanni and how long is she going to be stuck there?

------------------​

Boudy and Cardinal Van Utenhove walked off the docks towards the heart of Rome at a pace set by Van Utenhove that was far too fast, for comfort. The Cardinal did not talk and appeared gloomy; he seemed to be needed somewhere that was important, but he was already late. Boudy almost had to jog to keep up him.

The docks did not look as dreary as it did at night. The time was noon and the sun shone brightly, with her rays reflected off masts of ships that were resting. Merchants were already out selling their wares to early customers who dared to brave the rather noon morning for Italians. Bold vendors asked them if they would like to buy, oblivious to the Cardinal’s mood or just desperate to trade. When asked, the Cardinal, without stopping, replied with a curt, “no,” and left the merchant baffled.

By and by, they gradually worked their way through the maze and touched land, with the merchants out of sight but still within hearing distance. It felt awkward at first, having solid ground beneath one’s feet after so long, but Boudy got used to it. The Cardinal continued the relentless pace, forcing Boudy to break a sweat.

“This does be the most exercise that I be a getting ind awhile,” Boudy announced starting to pant.

The cardinal stopped, turned around with a sharp look in his eyes, put his index finger to his lips signaling him to be quiet, and continued at the original place.

Boudy kept his silence and followed more respectfully until they got into the main city. Strangely, there was no one about, and no sound could be heard, even the dock merchants fell silent at this. The stone buildings were ominous despite the sun shining, and the roads looked uninviting. Boudy shivered while Cardinal Van Utenhove muttered something about them being too late.

The cardinal looked frantically around looking for something and sent his sights on an alleyway. He near about ran for it, surprising the captain, who thought it was most uncardinal like. Figuring he should follow, started at a more leisurely pace, but generally sped up, as it was lonely out there on the road with no one in sight.

When he got there the cardinal was motioning for him to come to the very back of the alley. The alley was dark, slimy, and cramped, not the place where he wanted to be. The walls were damp from the morning dew, so the sun had not shined there. A couple times Boudy swore he saw rats, which he hated. Rats came onto boats and eat their food and ruined there cargo, not to mention it was rumored they were the ones responsible for the Plague.

Not normally suspicious, the captain wondered what in the world was going on. He knew their mission was dangerous and that the alliance hung on them, but this did not feel quite right. It was if a third party had taken sides and intervened with them. In spite of doubts, Boudy walked over where the cardinal was. The cardinal took a step towards Boudy as if they were going to exchange secrets.

The captain thinking to start out the conversation with the advantage spoke first, “Gracious Cardinal Van Utenhove, what says your name?”

At first taken aback, but then answered, “Paul, but Cap—“

“Thank you Paul,” with Boudy’s tone inappropriate to the situation.

“Captain Kuijper, do not mock me,” Paul said as his face turned crimson, “your humor is most unwelcomed. You should be ashamed of yourself.” It was once again for the captain’s face to mimic that of the cardinal’s. “Finally showing some humility are we? Anyways, I did come here to be mock or scold you; I brought you here as I need your help.”

Thinking better than to say anything, Boudy nodded in agreement.

“Pope Innocent VIII is going to be assassinated.” At that the captain’s month dropped. Why would anyone want to kill the pope? “Cardinal Pot de la Roche, from Bourgogne, wants to murder him on the account of wanting to join the alliance. You see, he is protestant cardinal and a nationalist.” Boudy snorted at the thought of that. The Catholic Church had young, aggressive, and protestant cardinals. What next female cardinals?

Continuing on Paul muttered, “I was able to talk to Giovanni before I came back. He knew of the plot of Cardinal Pot de la Roche, yet did naught. Knowing that, his last request of us is to take in Cardinal de Villaines, and to leave this corrupt city.”

All that came out of Boudy’s mouth was, “oh, who’s that.”

Before Paul could answer, a commanding voice came echoing down the alley, “Who’s be there come out if thee want to live.”

Boudy snapped his head in the direction of the order. A soldier stared down them down. He was in metal plating and carried a pike, now pointed towards them, with his face hidden behind the burgonet.

“C’mon wes don’t has all day,” ordered the soldier, menacing playing with the pike.

Boudy’s hand went right to his side, but there was not a sword. Silently admonishing himself for being forgetful, he remembered that he had rushed off the boat since the cardinal was walking at such a rapid rate. Now he blamed the cardinal for the misfortunes, as he had to leave his family and travel all the way to Rome on a dangerous mission.

Cardinal Van Utenhove went peacefully and started casually yet divinely walking towards the soldier. He gestured for Boudy to do the same. What other choice was available? With that thought in mind, Boudy nodded to Paul and went peacefully, yet his conscious said otherwise. The captain had a bad feeling in his stomach.

When they both got to the guard, he lifted his pike and sidestepped to let them through. Upon strolling onto the street, they were greeted by a whole regiment of well-armored and deadly men in a semi-circle enclosing the alley. Even worse, they were all pointing their pikes at them. A man with a plumed-helmet stood in the middle and gave the impression of waiting for them. Cardinal Van Utenhove voiced something unintelligible and made his way to the apparent leader of the group. Doing the same thing, except swearing, Boudy followed Paul.

“Cardinal Van Utenhove and Captain Boudewijin Kuijper, I presume,” inquired the leader looking intently as they neared. They solemnly nodded when they arrived, and the leader gave grunt at that. And with a smooth voice stated, “I, General Gritti, hereby arrest you under Pope Alexander VI instructions.”

Boudy was enraged, yet not taken aback, “What! I demand to know the charge,” but even as he said this, the line of pike men started to creep their way forward.

“You have been charged with treason,” pronounced the general graciously, “and will most likely be dead at this hour next time tomorrow.”

Boudy audibly groaned.

[post=8033289]Previous Chapter: Trapped![/post] | [post=8078819]Next Chapter: A Deadly Meeting[/post]​

Last edited:
Excellent update. I think it's you're best so far. It also answered a lot of questions about who's on what side, and for those characters it did not explicitly explain it gave enough information to figure them out.

Congrats on the canonization! Great updates there, it seems both Fya and Boudy are in trouble, let's hope they can get away with it

Amob_m_s: Thanks for joining. The "best," wow I am flattered :cool:

Cyrus_The_Great: And hopefully in the next few you should be able to get the whole story.

Capibara: Thank you. Yes they are in trouble, and it might start going downhill.

Thank you for your support and the next update should be on wednesday as usual.

Chapter 8
A Deadly Meeting

dearinger_fig01a.jpg

Desperate men walking in pairs, scavenged for an escaped cardinal. The courtyard was full of the ants scurrying about, looking. Not a single one could find what it was they were looking for. Dirt started to collect on what one would hardly call clothes, more resembling rags. Occasionally they had the etiquette to brush the build-up before it stained, but not much more.

By and by several would patrol by Fya in which she remained motionless. It was problematical to maintain silence and stillness as it was awfully lonely and cramped inside the hedge. The upside were that the patrollers spoke their feelings aloud, reminding her of simple peasants. Most of it was simple matters, catching up with each other’s lives and family, but sometimes they let slip importance. Accidentally, guards had stopped in front of her hiding spot and started chatting.

“Umm…Francesco, who dart we lookins for,” asked one to another.

“That tis a good question there, Bub. Methought it was a Cardinal Villains, or de Villains, I don’t know, but if we do finds a holy one, tis best bring her in,” quietly answered the other, who was looking at the ground carelessly. “By the way, what des de boss mean when he sais, ‘what they have done,’ I nevers quite understood.”

Bub snorted, and decided to walk off the path and sit on the grass. The man wove his hand in and out of the uncut grass uncaringly. “Well, he said sumfing about them supporting the rebel cause and him trying to save church from corruptness.”

Joining his co-guard on the grass, Fracesco was intrigued, “what corruptnesss?”

Leaning close to Francesco, Bub whispered something into his ear, which Fya couldn’t pick up. Not that she didn’t know what the “corruptness” was, she just wanted to hear it from someone else.

Unbeknownst to the public were the secrets of the Holy See. The classified information had so much weight that if they were to be let loose into the open, one would see the repercussions not only throughout Italy, but all the way throughout the known world. There was the fact that a protestant cardinal resides in the Holy See and ordained ones are getting younger and more aggressive. But the biggest thing that Papacy had to keep quiet about was her.

The masses would be in a riot over the notion of a female cardinal amongst a male-dominated religion. Surely she would be exiled or killed, so danger was imminent. The only thing is that people would assume that she is an ordained cardinal, even though their conjectures have no proof. Fya tried to figure out her confused history and wanted to talk to someone, yet both parents were dead, and the way events were unfolding it didn’t look like Giovanni was going to last long.

She sighed and thought that her secret would inevitably die with Giovanni and herself.

Cardinal Pot de la Roche emerged from the dungeons. The two men sitting on the grass immediately sat up and pretended like they were working thoroughly. The cardinal signaled for the two to come to him. Thinking they were caught doing something other than was they were believed to be doing, they sauntered glumly over. Being impatient the cardinal jogged over to them and whispered to them. Apparently it was good news as the guards’ faces lightened up. Then they hurried off into the direction of the main chapel.

Meanwhile, the cardinal talked to another pair of patrollers and they scurried towards the main chapel too. Everyone was out rushing about as the director casually strolled to the edge of the fountain and took a seat. He might have looked calm but the way he was throwing water up with his hands told Fya that Cardinal Pot de la Roche was anxious.

And that was a weakness.

-----------​

It was dark inside the cabin on wheels. They had blindfolds on so nothing would have changed. Paul could be heard mumbling a prayer somewhere, yet his voice was shaken. Boudy sat there contented, but sometimes fits of rage would swallow him and there would end up to be dents around the wooden cage. He wanted to free himself, but his hands were viciously tied behind his back by course rope rubbing against his skin.

When the General Gritti brought forward the ropes they went peacefully and let him bind them meticulously. The captain had a difficult time keeping still, he wasn’t used to this; going quietly. If the situation was more comfortable, going peacefully would be nonexistent in the mind, and instead arms swinging and legs kicking would be present.

By and by the wagon would jolt, sending Boudy shifting this way and that, which he assumed was one of the profuse bumps in the unkempt roads of Rome. The quality of the city had been steadily declining, buildings were in disarray, and even the aqueducts weren’t being groomed to be in prime condition. He didn’t blame it on Pope Innocent VIII, more of the history of the pope acting irrational in the Vatican.

The captain was confused and didn’t know what was happening. His loyalty was to the alliance and the formation, yet he thought that Rome would be much better off in the hands of someone that doesn’t have total religious affairs.

“God wills it, nothing can be done. I am but a lowly ship captain, who powers are greatly limited by those around,” the sigh was drugged out for seconds.

In response, Paul hummed a low octave that was soothing and heavenly.

---​

From her vantage point, Fya was able to see that the two pairs of men that returned, each bringing something distinctly interesting. The first ones to appear carried with them what looked like a primitive club with a switch on top. It was made out of stained wood, lined with shiny silver plating. They also gave the cardinal a small bag that looked as if to be carrying some sort of powder. What it was stumped Fya, so she imagined it to be some sort of weapon. When given these things the cardinal tucked them carefully into his robes.

The next group brought something that concerned Fya, so much that she shivered. Between the two of them, they carried a golden edged box that was glass so clean it was see through. The box wasn’t the one responsible for the concern it was what lay on the inside. Inside sat a tiara that had three levels to it shaped in a circular beehive, with the core made of out silver. It was beauty so rich it hurt the eyes to even squint. The jewel was heavily decorated with diamonds and rubies of all sorts of shapes and sizes. There were golden cross decorations throughout it, and at the top was a circular object with a cross upon it.

Taking it gingerly and holding it with awe, the cardinal gently sat it on the ground within easy reaching distance.

Fya took a sharp breath, it was the papal tiara.

---​

The wagon continued on and so did the bumps giving Boudy a sore bum. Meanwhile Cardinal Van Utenhove still kneeled and pray, for what was anybody’s guess. The prisoners could here the horses’ rhythmic hooves, as dim as they were. Strangely Boudy was gradually getting more and more tired which he blamed on the hooves, and soon found himself asleep.

Glaring light seared through the open door of the wooden cage, instantly wakening Boudy up and disturbing the prayful cardinal. They rubbed their eyes and wanted to see what was responsible.

Two armored men with deadly tipped pikes were at the end of the opened door and were motioning them to come. Obeying their will they stepped out into a brightly lit and beautiful courtyard. The men quickly maneuvered behind them and reassured that the bondage was tight. They roughly escorted the prisoners through some bushes and through hedges until they were by a water fountain.

Cardinal Pot de la Roche was sitting there smiling, as if nothing could ruin his day. Upon seeing the Boudy and Paul he stood and greeted them.

“Captain Kuijper and Cardinal Van Utenhove, how nice of you to join me.”

The hardy captain retort was an expertly aimed spit that landed on the cardinal’s sandaled foot. Directly after one of the guards butted his pike against him sending him into the kneeling pose. When down there, Boudy finally noticed a golden lined case with a beautiful jewel being held captive. He didn't know what it meant, besides the fact that once it caught your gaze it seized it. Cardinal Pot de la Roche looked at his wet foot in disgust and shook his head.

“That will be the last time you disrespect a pope,” said he as a matter-of-factly.

At that both Boudy and Paul choked.

The guard who was positioned by Paul commanded, “Get on your knees and bow to the pope, or shall get the same fate as your friend.”

“Never mind they will learn soon enough,” the pope announced, half to them and half to himself. Then turning around he declared, “Bring out the other prisoner.”

After a moment or two, everyone was able to see a man all in chains, connecting limbs and feet, that was supported by two men. His face was down, dirtied and looked beaten and bruised, like he had no life left. In fact, he was as pale as death.

“Does anyone recognize ex-Pope Innocent VIII,” the pope challenged.

The chained captive lifted his head to a stately level and looked at the new pope squarely in the eye but didn’t say a word.

Boudy assumed that the cardinal was Pope Alexander VI, and that sent his head spinning into confusion. Pope Alexander VI said, “No matter, bring him to me.”

Giovanni looked at the guards and told them, firmly, “no.” Then he started to walk towards his advisory. With all the chains and weakness the prisoner wasn’t making good time, and it was only a matter of time before something unexpected happened. Giovanni tripped and fell down with one knee kneeling and the other trying to stand. Paul prompted to help but was held down with the butt of a pike. Struggling to stand, you could see his muscles visibly shaking violently at the attempt. It was degrading to watch a man once so proud and prestigious, humbled and obscured. Finally achieving his goal he once again started to stumble towards Josua.

You could see Josua trembling in rage, even in defeat Giovanni would somehow best him. Not being able to tolerate it he screamed, “Die!”

Josua whipped out a primitive looking club from his robe, that Boudy had the luck of recognizing for what it was. Boudy yelled, “Watch out,” and forced his way up, ignoring the pushes to send him down, he had to stop Josua from killing Giovanni. Boudy dove to stop this calamity, but, alas, it was too late, as Josua coolly took aim and the trigger was pulled, driving the bullet deep within the heart. The victim fell over limply and stood still as his life drained out of him. The dark blood gushed out and filled the cracks of the path until it overflowed.

Boudy cried with all his might, while Paul had a surge of tears of his cheek. While this was going on Josua stooped down and reached the tiara without a worry, and gently put it on his head, dignified. Then there was a blood curdling shriek from all around, it was a girl’s voice, but it seemed to have no origin.

Then the world went black as a butt of pike landed cruelly on Boudy’s neck.

[post=8061664]Previous Chapter: An Usurp[/post] | [post=8095864]Next Chapter: Imprisonment[/post]​

Last edited:
Yet another great update. You really are getting better as you go along- the first couple chapters are kind of rough, I must say, but the quality has improved greatly.

Things are making more sense now, I can see most of the characters' motives and allegiances, but I've no clue how Boudy's gonna end up in the White Sea.