• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm guessing the article I sent you for September is one of those four. Now that I see what dire straits we're in for articles, I'm going to see if I can get a new one to you in the next few days. I'm a bit swamped, but I hope I should be able to get something done.

Good work everyone ^^

Table of Contents is up, Cover might take some more time.

Great edition! I really enjoyed both of Atlantic Friend's articles immensely. I hope he or someone else continues the introduction of historical characters as possible game ideas. That would be a big help for writers looking for alternate history concepts.

And the oxygen/fuel/fire starter/outside world concept was well put together and oh so true.

Thanks a bunch to all the writers, canonized, and anon for putting it together!

As you insisted, anonymous4401, I'll drop by to tell the aarland that I'm actually reading the AARlander. Or, at least some parts of it. Good work! Interesting article on the SAS, I might add.

Hey, I enjoyed the issue! I have to say, it's a useful mix of a lot of what any prospective writAAR might want to look at - it has historical information (which is always great to have, and it can influence your AAR, provided you're writing in that historical timeframe), AAR reviews (considering I don't always have time to go check out every AAR thread, showcasing a few that I might want to read is always useful), and Paradox forum history is even better.

Evolution is by far my most favoritest part, as it tells me things I couldn't possibly know by myself - I can go and read an AAR, but I wasn't here to experience a lot of these things, and, even if it's a tiny microcosm within history itself (forum history is admittedly not as interesting as national history, but it's history all the same, and still fascinates me), and.. well, it's great.

Not to say that every other segment isn't great, but Evolution is going to keep hauling me in to read, issue after issue.

Also, out of curiosity, as I'm a big mod-player (and although I only play Eu2 these days, that's primarily because I find it easier to turn off Eu2 than I do to turn off DD or CK), would the AARlander been interested in a guest piece extolling various mods, or maybe just a piece reviewing one in detail?

Hooray AARlander is back! Was wondering what had happened to anonymous for a while but it turns out it was a lack of articles that was keeping it. Well i haven't read it all yet, all good magazines take good time, but it seems to be yet another good edition. And may I say that this Tempus Society has come to the party is a good move. It might atleast promote some more stability in writing articles.

I must agree with Lordling, Evolution is also my favourite series although anonymous' short reviews made for good reading also and tempted me into checking out the AARs for myself.

Lordling said:
would the AARlander been interested in a guest piece extolling various mods, or maybe just a piece reviewing one in detail?

I sure would, although is the AARlander supposed to be only about AARs and fanfiction or are informational articles acceptable as well? There are so many mods out there, it would be good to see some reviews.

Lordling said:
Not to say that every other segment isn't great, but Evolution is going to keep hauling me in to read, issue after issue.

Also, out of curiosity, as I'm a big mod-player (and although I only play Eu2 these days, that's primarily because I find it easier to turn off Eu2 than I do to turn off DD or CK), would the AARlander been interested in a guest piece extolling various mods, or maybe just a piece reviewing one in detail?

I'm honored, thank you. Means I'll have to sit down and continue to write it.

As to Mods being reviewed in the AARLander, I believe Anon's original idea was to allow that, but I can't recall completely. I'm sure if you do a review and submit it, he'll find a way to get it out there.

That was a fine AARlander, although may I say AFs piece was by far the best, although given his choice of quotes/source of inspiration I am perhaps slightly biased. :D

Lordling said:

I've always wanted to have a mod review from the very beginning.

ComradeOm said:
A great read (in which we discover that OHgamer's name is "Gene" *snicker*) with some interesting articles. Atlantic Friend's was particularly good, and its a theme that I've long been meaning to write about myself, and the same applies to Leon Trotsky's history piece.

I gave my real name back the last time I did an interview for the main Paradox Gazette back a couple years ago.

And what exactly is there to snicker about, hmmmmm. :mad:

:p :D

Another great offering guys. Keep up the great work!

anonymous4401 said:
I've always wanted to have a mod review from the very beginning.

What do you know he's right! Look what i found:

AARlander Front Office said:
Mod Reviews

In my mind there are two facets of the Paradox community that make it so unique from any other gaming community. One is AARland, and the important one is the modding community. Just take a look at one of the mods out there and try it out, and write a review of it.

I might have to see what i can do in this regard.

I was thinking about the Deus Vult article and I don't think the problem with the small number of DV AARs is necessarily related to general disinterest in CK.

Speaking personally, as much as I love Paradox titles, I never buy them when they first come out...there are always too many problems with them and I lack the patience to wait for Paradox to fix the issues (which they always do - not a short at Paradox). I always wait a few months for the bugs to work out of the system.

I'm excited about DV, but since vanilla CK 1.05 works fine and there seem to be some issues with DV, I'm just waiting for a patch.

A very fine and interesting issue. The article about the SAS was very interesting and I found it interesting to read more in detail and learn something new about the units beginning.
The Deus Vult part was nice and it also put some light on a part of the forums that are not so popular as the HoI and EU sections, this also brings up the article about the different parts of the forum and why some AAR forums are busier and have more AARs than others. Some very fine points are made there and I think that most of the points written about is very correct.
The last new part from the new “organization” created by canonized and his teams was also very fine, both the articles and the interview.

All in all I think this month’s issue was a very good one, well done everyone :)

Atlantic Friend said:
But writing is also the most selfless intellectual activity of all, because in the end you always write for someone else, even if you may not always dare show it to that special reader.

This sentence caught me short during my reading of AF's article. It is such a true statement for me. She may never know what she inspired...and may my story be worth her inspiration...

<sniff>Thanks AF!

All in all a good installment of the AARlander. I always read it when it comes out, in hopes of finding something to sate my NEED for reading material. Once again, it did not disappoint. I always gravitate towards the 'this will help your writing'; 'here is a must read AAR'; and 'here is information for you modders out there' articles. In this case, all three were present! Hooray!

Is there any chance of getting a breakdown of all the votes for the Readers Choice awards? My ego would like to know how many votes The Last Mission actually received.

TheExecuter

Just as a post-production side comment , I really enjoyed interviewing OHgamer and getting to know more about scenes etc that I'm not particularly too engrossed in (e.g. modding and the OT although I do post on the OT from time to time) . It's a pity he always seems so stressed on AIM , then again he must be reading all those OT posts all the time as well as other stuff XD . Must just be us younger generationals that have taken up the instant messaging mantle (or maybe invented it is fairer to say) .

I'm very grateful to the writers and guest writers for INSTRUMENTALITY , they really did a great job and we're very thankful to anon for agreeing to this setup . We hope to do this every month rain or shine so keep looking out for us ! If you want to contribute to the genre , feel free to contact me via PM . As you saw , we had three guests this month , JimboIX , Avernite , and Grubnessul and next month , although i'll be hitting them up for more articles , you might also be featured ! So do send us a note ! As you also saw from Avernite's and Grubnessul's submission we DO accept NON traditional pieces for the sake of the expansion of the magazine and for the greater enjoyment of our readers . This includes such things as the comic , portraits , music , parodies , quizzes and games . And don't be afraid if you feel that someone else has taken your idea ; we will publish both either as a compilation or as an unofficial series over the course of the next few months . We have a reservoir system where any extra articles we save for the next round and we WILL publish all that it's in the reservoir eventually and in a timely manner (meaning we would never have you waiting 4 months for your article to come out) .

Thanks again for all your support and we hope to see more of you give articles !

Edit: Special thanks to EP for also being format editor for me when I started my bronchitis . You really helped there , ole boy ! Won't forget it !

Last edited: