• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, I finally had time to read several articles and skim through the rest. And I must agree with coz1, it is pure quality. I do realize one thing already: I personally like the background articles (history, AARLand articles) much more than the reviews. That's pure personal taste, so take that in whatever way you will.

Writing articles takes some practice, both to actually get something on paper properly and to see what works with your audience. Special mention go to phargle and EstonianZulu.

I like what phargle's doing. The way he's using CK as a carrier for a message far more universal than that is well done. With a very simple example he's gotten to one of the essential ingredients of writing: imagination.

Kudos too to EstonianZulu. I don't know a lot about AAR-land, being active here only since the beginning of the year, but putting AARLand itself in its historical perspective is refreshing and interesting.

To summarize, good work people! I hope that for the next issue I can contribute to the quantity if not quality of the AARLander again.

Just finished reading the AARlander, and I must say it's a great publication. It's always intriguing to get a glimpse of what the author had in mind when he starts to wite - or type. Doubly so when one deals with alternative history, which I believe holds more than any other genre the possibility to tackle very complex intrigues, with the almost absolute certitude that the readers will know what it's all about.

Maybe I should submit something about that for a future issue. Canonozied's interview of El Pip was also extremely interesting, as it largely revolved around the creative process.

Anyhoo, hats off to those involved, and if there's something I can do to make your job easier, pray tell.

Atlantic Friend said:
Anyhoo, hats off to those involved, and if there's something I can do to make your job easier, pray tell.
Best way to help is two things: write stuff! If not quality, you'll at least contribute to the quantity of each issue.

Second thing is: comment! Lots, and the more to the point the comment is, the better. Commenting on the AARLander is like commenting on an AAR: it's like a drug for the writers and let's them know that their work is read and (hopefully) appreciated; second, it can let them know what kind of articles the public wants most.

TeeWee said:
Second thing is: comment! Lots, and the more to the point the comment is, the better. Commenting on the AARLander is like commenting on an AAR: it's like a drug for the writers and let's them know that their work is read and (hopefully) appreciated; second, it can let them know what kind of articles the public wants most.

*comments*

I've been waiting for the next version to come out, Anon said it'd be out sometime today. I plan for the next issue to do a mod review, just letting you know. And hopefully we'll find somebody to do a Mod Review of Kaisarreich...

GeneralHannibal said:
And hopefully we'll find somebody to do a Mod Review of Kaisarreich...

Well, my current run of article concepts is coming to an end... I'd be happy to do a mod review of Kaisarreich; from a less than good HoI2'ers perspective.

I’ve just finished reading the latest issue of the AARlander. As such, I want to express how much I enjoyed the work and its commentaries. Keep up the superb effort, folks! :)

What happened to the Sep. version?

There will not be a September issue, I'm afraid, and it's entirely my fault for not preparing ahead. I apologize to those who took the time to write their articles. They will be appearing in the October 1 issue. In the meantime I will once again ask anyone who is able to contribute an article to the AARlander. If you don't have an idea for an article you can always ask for one. I'll be clearing out my PM box shortly.

That's a shame, anonymous. I guess we'll look forward to October then.

I'm sorry to hear this. Still, thanks for the effort you've put into this project so far.

As for articles, I'm still commited to the bimonthly/quarterly articles I promised earlier. The ideas are still there, and I'll let you know when my next one is finished.

Sorry to hear this Anon. Will you stop altogheter or just skip the September issue?

Singleton Mosby said:
Sorry to hear this Anon. Will you stop altogheter or just skip the September issue?

He said skip in his post, so let's hope for that... ;)

Not meaning to rush you or anything anonymous, i understand its must be hard dealing with AARland Choice AwAARds, librAARies, writing AARs and reading AARs not to mention real life stuff, but what's the situation with the AARlander?

Is the October (was September) version ready to go and you just need to find time to finalise and post it or is there a lack of articles and so on? I haven't really heard much about things over the past month and since it doesn't appear to have been posted yet i thought i would ask the question.

I've been trying to get in contact with anon through AIM recently but he hasn't been on . It's troubling ; i hope things are alright especially since the AARlander was due yesterday =( .

Even though he updates the AAR for real men, I'd say anon is taking one of this usual off-forum periods now.

EDIT: Hmm, ACA is up. Never mind me then

Last edited:
I've just (finally!) taken the time to rifle through the first two issues, and I certainly hope it doesn't stop there. Admittedly, it's easier to talk when you read than when you write (something to do with being responsible for providing other readAARs that's worth their time? :p )

Any news about the AARlander, Anon? :)

Folks, if you're wondering what has happened to the AARlander, well just know that on November 01 an issue WILL come, containing at least the results of the AARland Choice AwAARds. There will also be a handful of other articles, but so far the article count stands at what it was a month ago, and possibly one more than it was two months ago. That is, four. Which is terribly low, but it's designed to be that way. The AARlander lives or dies by AARland's participation in it, and if so few are willing or able to write articles, maybe AARland just isn't cut out to have a monthly magazine.

An issue WILL come out on November 01. As to how big it will be, it is up to you. You have five days.

anonymous4401 said:
Folks, if you're wondering what has happened to the AARlander, well just know that on November 01 an issue WILL come, containing at least the results of the AARland Choice AwAARds. There will also be a handful of other articles, but so far the article count stands at what it was a month ago, and possibly one more than it was two months ago. That is, four. Which is terribly low, but it's designed to be that way. The AARlander lives or dies by AARland's participation in it, and if so few are willing or able to write articles, maybe AARland just isn't cut out to have a monthly magazine.

An issue WILL come out on November 01. As to how big it will be, it is up to you. You have five days.
Good to hear anonymous. All beginnings are hard on projects like this and I'm glad this one will continue onwards.

By the way, I assume you still got the article I sent you by email for september?

Yes I did, and thanks for taking the time to contribute, TeeWee.