• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(18239)

Lt.-Colonel of Guerillas
Jul 14, 2003
Visit site
headercontesthb0.gif

The year is 1618.

Various European states are at war, not only with each other but with themselves. Protestantism sweeps through France leaving a path of insurgency, chaos and doubt in its wake. It is a time of turmoi,l and....... Wait a minute. I am not the one writing this story. You are!

The idea is simple: We of the AARland Advocate present a writing contest with the following prizes to win.

First prize: a Collectors' Edition copy of Europa Universalis III
Second and Third: EUIII T-shirts
Fourth and Fifth: EUIII mousepads

Not to mention bragging rights!

The rules are simple as well: Look at the screenshots you find below and write your own story around them. Use between 500 and 1000 words and let your creativity and writing skills go wild!

The deadline is the 29th of December. Within a week the five best stories will be chosen by the Advocate team and posted in a poll in the AARland mainforum. You, the reader will decide which of them will win the contest.

Your entry can be PM-ed to me, Catknight, KuzuX, Coz1 and Iron Chef.

The full thread + screenies can be found here.

*ads screenshots to archive*
Thanks for that:) Great contest BtW.

Indeed. :)

Can you tell us what mode you're in on the screen with a lime green France?

There's grey and red as well; just curious what they all represent.

Royal marriages with Lorraine and Savoy, I'd guess.

Brownbeard said:
Royal marriages with Lorraine and Savoy, I'd guess.

But what of the grey and red? Is it the diplomatic mode, do you think? I suppose the darker green (ala Lorraine & Savoy) could be RMs, as you sugguest, and red would be those nations whom you are at war with? Grey = netural?

SM said it started with War verus, Austria, ergo red is war, and the grey has to be neutral/no specific relations)

DukeWilleo1630 said:
Hmm, I definitely feel like writing this. Maybe I'll give it a go. Besides that, those screens look pretty cool. Look at the religious screen. Provinces that are both catholic and protestant??!?? :cool:
More likely protestant provinces in a catholic state.

mandead said:
Indeed. :)

Can you tell us what mode you're in on the screen with a lime green France?

There's grey and red as well; just curious what they all represent.

contest2cm0.png

I am in the diplo-mode. Lorain and Savoy are my allies and Austria and Bavaria my enemies. The grey are just those I have no diplo-relations with.

ComradeOm said:
A cap of a thousand words? :eek:

I don't stand a chance of winning but I'll definitely give it a go anyway.

Is thousand words too little in your opinion?

DukeWilleo1630 said:
Hmm, I definitely feel like writing this. Maybe I'll give it a go.

Would be great :) I am wondering how many will enter this contest :)

mandead said:
Cool. I thought as much. :)

What other colours are there?

I can't wait to see the Imperial mode.

At your service :)

untitled1r1c1rh6.gif

Singleton Mosby said:
Is thousand words too little in your opinion?
Well I'm just thinking that a thousand words is probably less than average length for a single AAR entry. It'll be difficult to tell a complete story within such a limit.

But then I do tend to get too wordy for my own good sometimes. Perhaps this will impose some discipline on me :)

Cool. :)

Can you tell us a bit about the Imperial map-mode, despite the obvious fact that nations in green comprise the empire?

I want it to be possible for the electors of the empire to vote Henry VIII or Francis I Emperor, instead of Charles V. ;)

Of course, this scenario could take place at any time (given the right conditions), and with other non-imperial monarchs/countries.

What does this map-mode tell us?

And is there a way of increasing the size of the empire? Can we get Venice (the province) to join for example?

Registered said:
And is there a way of increasing the size of the empire? Can we get Venice (the province) to join for example?

Yeah, that'd be cool!

Or if it broke up before 1803 for whatever reason. Being able to actually destroy the empire during some massive war would be interesting, or being able to change who the electors are. I notice the historic seven (whilst they exist) appear below the Emperor on the HRE panel, but being able to replace those would be ace. What if Portugal or Denmark became an elector? Is it possible?

Registered said:
I've been thinking about that, too! It would be awesome.

Sorry guys, I don't know about that as I didn't play an Imperial nation yet. I will do so for my EUIII preview which will be published in the January issue of the Advocate.