The 5 land doctrines: Which to pick? PART 5 OF 5 + BONUS + THE BEST DOCTRINE!

• Crusader Kings II Expansion Subscription

Subscribe to the CK II Expansion and enjoy unlimited access to 13 major expansions and more!

• Paradox Midsummer Sale has arrived! Up to 75% off!

Enjoy some sun and song this Midsummer, but when the sun goes down, the fun doesn't have to stop! Paradox has a festive sale on plenty of games to keep your summer nights going!

June 18th - June 30th
  • Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

Pasha

Field Marshal
2 Badges
May 26, 2005
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
@Eugenioso are you basing this on a mod? I checked yesterday and Superior Focus doesn't grant any bonuses in DH FULL or in the CWTT to any air units. Although it "does" under the NATO doctrine. Also, I forgot to check, but I think defensive focus grants a small bonus to TAC, but I might be thinking of HOI2

Pasha

Field Marshal
2 Badges
May 26, 2005
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
Very good read but I'm still unsure what one would pick with a small or mid sized country. For example Romania. Light looks pretty okay.
I play almost exclusively with regional powers and use Superior Firepower for just about all of them except for Finland/Sweden/Norway, which I like to use Light Infantry. I get what Eugenioso means when he says it works best when you can build a large army, but it still works with smaller armies when you're fighting smaller or similar sized nations.

Reactions:

Pandrea

First Lieutenant
48 Badges
Jun 18, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Darkest Hour
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Magicka 2
  • Victoria 2
@Eugenioso are you basing this on a mod? I checked yesterday and Superior Focus doesn't grant any bonuses in DH FULL or in the CWTT to any air units. Although it "does" under the NATO doctrine. Also, I forgot to check, but I think defensive focus grants a small bonus to TAC, but I might be thinking of HOI2
Pretty sure I have seen a TAC bonus in first or second firepower tech

Reactions:

Eugenioso

General
5 Badges
Sep 15, 2008
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Darkest Hour
  • Cities: Skylines
As stated on the second sentence, this is based on WIF2 mod, so values might be slightly different, but the main formula remains.

Pasha

Field Marshal
2 Badges
May 26, 2005
  • Darkest Hour
  • 500k Club
As stated on the second sentence, this is based on WIF2 mod, so values might be slightly different, but the main formula remains.
Sorry, I'm an idiot and totally missed that. Thanks for clarifying.

Pandrea

First Lieutenant
48 Badges
Jun 18, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Darkest Hour
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Magicka 2
  • Victoria 2
Posting just to say I'm really appreciating even the bonus parts!

• 1Like
Reactions:

Eugenioso

General
5 Badges
Sep 15, 2008
  • 500k Club
  • Darkest Hour
Oh shit, im sorry, i forgot! Ill do it tomorrow when i have a bit of free time.

InfArmMot

Second Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2018
A most needed analysis; thank you for explaining this.

Some years ago, I bought the book "The Perfect War Techno War", based on the authors subjective interpretation of the Pentagon Papers from the Vietnam War. This well-explained analysis partly confirms the authors conclusion on why the United States lost the Vietnam War;

the US based Firepower Doctrine fought the Vietnamese mix of both the Light infantry and Mannpower doctrines
and thus could not win this war

InfArmMot

Second Lieutenant
Dec 18, 2018
Very good read but I'm still unsure what one would pick with a small or mid sized country. For example Romania. Light looks pretty okay.
Perhaps the Mobility doctrine, in order to converge abilities with Germany in the fight against the USSR. Same for Hungary. Slovenia, Bulgaria and Finland could pick Light Infantry. Italy, hm? - Light Infantry or Mobility.

Reactions:

Eugenioso

General
5 Badges
Sep 15, 2008
  • 500k Club
  • Darkest Hour
All done, sorry for the delay peeps.

• 2Like
Reactions:

Altruist

Captain
9 Badges
Sep 13, 2011
  • Darkest Hour
  • Stellaris
To conclude, the best doctrine in the game is MOBILITY.
I am not really that surprised about the conclusion., well, who is...
Nevertheless it is certainly helpful and informative to have, for more or less the first time if I am not mistaken, a good comparative overview of all land doctrines.
Thanks a lot for the writeup.