• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
We have countries in 4 tiers, when it comes to attention in the EU4 development process. This is for DHE, decisions, missions and (unannounced features and mechanics).

• Tier 1 - 8 countries (flavour and fun, behaviour vital for game progress)
  • Tier 2 - 9 countries. (flavour and fun, behaviour important for game progress)
  • Tier 3 - 16+ countries (flavour and fun, behaviour not vital for game progress)
  • Tier 4 - the others.... where the minimum flavour level is EU3+EU2.

Tier 1
  1. England - Arguably the winner of the time period.
  2. France - Big blue blob is a must here, no game is complete without a strong France dictating western Europe.
  3. Ottoman Empire - the major complaints on EU3 was the fact that they didn't become the historical threat they were.
  4. Castille/Spain - We all want a big Spanish colonial empire on the map.
  5. Muscowy/Russia - another failure of EU3 was that russia didnt form often enough, and you ended up with a fractured east.
  6. Sweden - Swedish agression is what shapes the northeastern quarter of europe.
  7. Portugal - in history and with our new trade system, their impact in the first 2 centuries changed europe forever.
  8. Austria - The central european player that affected half of europe.

Tier 2
  1. Netherlands
  2. Poland
  3. Venice
  4. China
  5. Denmark
  6. Brandenburg/Prussia
  7. Persia
  8. Timurid/Moghuls
  9. Japan
Some comments here.. Netherlands didn't make the cut for the top 8, as they don't exist at the start. While we would like to see them in a fair amount of games, they are not a guarantee to happen. Poland and Denmark, while important countries from the start and have a rich history, we chose Russia and Sweden ahead of them in that area, as Russia and Sweden were the winners historically.

Tier 3
  1. Genoa
  2. Burgundy
  3. Lithuania
  4. Mamelukes
  5. Viyanagar
  6. Oman
  7. The Hansa
  8. Scotland
  9. Bavaria
  10. Ayutthaya
  11. Aragon
  12. Milan
  13. Korea
  14. Hungary
  15. Norway
  16. Novgorod
  17. Naples
  18. Bohemia
  19. Byzantium

All of these are interesting countries to play.. While Eu2 at most had 2-3 events for these countries, we aim for far more, to bring them closer to what tier 1 and tier 2 countries could expect.

Reactions:
Ah so the debate about which countries will be in which tier is finally over... Now I'm sure it will be pages full of country x should be in tier y. Why is country z in tier w? etc.

I like I can now see where each country is, as it gives me a better idea what to start with. I may have to betray Milan and pick Venice instead (also with the new trade mechanics it probably would be more fun).

"(unannounced features and mechanics)." Ah now I'm, just very curious what they could be! Excitement level increased again.

One thing though: "Ottoman Empire - the major complaints on EU3 was the fact that" I guess the end of the sentence should be that they performed poorly? Or that Christian nations could easily conquer Turkey etc.

What happened to Prussia ? I know it doesn't exist at gamestart, but in that time period it had a LOT more importance than Japan for example, even if I don't mind Japan being worked on.

Prussia is in Tier 2 like Japan...

Nice to see which countries you have put in the different tiers but i like that we got a some of your thoughts on the matter. Its always hard to make such a sharp cut between something so fluid but i imagine that theres also some room for different "levels" in each tier. So the difference between the most prioritized in tier 2 and the least prioritized in tier 1 might not be as big as the Tiers might make it seem.

I can only assume having Castille in instead of Leinster is some sort of typo, but other than that it seems like a fair list. I probably would have had Brandenburg/Prussia ahead of Sweden too, but all in all it looks great to me.

nice hopefully austria wont gobble up central europe the whole time. that and yeah seeing russia around more would rock

Sweet!
I'm surprised Scotland is there. I suppose their history with England merits the inclusion.
Happy Denmark is there at tier 2. Their power was declining during this time, but thay still could be a pest for their neighbors and trading rivals.
I too would have swapped Sweden and Prussia. Maybe they could change tiers depending on the starting period.

Nice list.

Sweet!
I'm surprised Scotland is there. I suppose their history with England merits the inclusion.
Happy Denmark is there at tier 2. Their power was declining during this time, but thay still could be a pest for their neighbors and trading rivals.
I too would have swapped Sweden and Prussia. Maybe they could change tiers depending on the starting period.

They have a couple of Scottish developers ;). But especially the interaction with France and England seems a reason for inclusion.

The tiers are the total attention they get in the game files, so perhaps Brandenburg/Prussia has more events later in the timeline and Sweden more in the middle. But in total things Sweden gets a little bit more attention.

Nice list.

They have a couple of Scottish developers ;). But especially the interaction with France and England seems a reason for inclusion.

The tiers are the total attention they get in the game files, so perhaps Brandenburg/Prussia has more events later in the timeline and Sweden more in the middle. But in total things Sweden gets a little bit more attention.

As far as i understand it country triggers are not dependant on the date of the game but circumstances. So you could have prussia related events that have the prussia tag. So potentially if you mod in prussia at the startdate then you could have them fire 5-10 years after the start of the game

As far as i understand it country triggers are not dependant on the date of the game but circumstances. So you could have prussia related events that have the prussia tag. So potentially if you mod in prussia at the startdate then you could have them fire 5-10 years after the start of the game

Hmm, good point. But depending on prerequisites the circumstances might be unlikely until a certain period in the game. We will have something to look forward to.

Maybe they could change tiers depending on the starting period.

These tiers are not an in-game mechanic like the eight great powers in Victoria - it's just a way for us to prioritize when developing the game and it's content.

These tiers are not an in-game mechanic like the eight great powers in Victoria - it's just a way for us to prioritize when developing the game and it's content.
Out of curiosity, did you guys ever imagine these tiers would go viral on the forum when you came up with the design strategy? ^^

In regards to Multiplayer can we expect that the events give eventual bonuses or modifiers to the country such as let´s say the prussian military reforms which is a powerful boost and tends to upset the game balance quiet a bit in multiplayer when someone manages to do enact or rather create certain scenarios that make it more likely for the Ai or human to go into a certain direction without giving out country specific bonuses?

It sure do look like a list made by Swedes.
Sweden & Poland could be quite randomly exchanged. Apart from that, the list is not very disputable?

Sweden & Poland could be quite randomly exchanged. Apart from that, the list is not very disputable?

Apart from that the list is good. 6th place for a country that was relevant in Northern Europe for about 100 years looks like a 'patriotic' choice. Moving Sweden below Portugal and Austria, to 8th spot would look less ridiculous. ;)

Apart from that the list is good. 6th place for a country that was relevant in Northern Europe for about 100 years looks like a 'patriotic' choice. Moving Sweden below Portugal and Austria, to 8th spot would look less ridiculous. ;)
I didn't assume the place in each tier would matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.