• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

coz1

GunslingAAR
29 Badges
May 16, 2002
hearthehurd.typepad.com
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
So here we are down to our final two awAARds. We will find out which AAR comes out on top tomorrow but today it is time to reward the writAAR. That particular entity that we would not be here without. The overall forum has the games, but we here in AARland value the writer about those games and they have kept us endlessly entertained for more than twenty years. And as you have seen during this week of reveals, we have a lot of them and thank God for that! So many, in fact, that not only did our 23 voters all give nomination to this category, they nominated 41 different writAARs!!! With those numbers, no way anyone might say that AARland is anything but healthy and thriving!

With so many tight contests throughout, you might think this one was as well. And it was...just not at the top. ;) We've held five prior contests in this current form and only twice during that time has someone other than our winner found victory. So let's just get it out of the way. The 2022 WritAAR of the Year is...

Sir, you have turned into our very own Katharine Hepburn (or John Ford if you prefer) as a four time winner! (Oscar trivia for those not in the know.) Some day you will have to release your death grip on the category but for this year and one more time, many congratulations for a well earned victory! Of course, when you write 724 different AARs people are bound to be impressed. ;)

Our runner up is no less celebrated and rightly so. The Silver Cup goes to...

The writAAR of an immensely popular and creative Stellaris series which has just come to an end after years worth of work certainly deserves every accolade that comes his way! Many, many congratulations!

And the Bronze Cup is given to...

The writAAR of a hugely creative work that received many top votes throughout the nominating process, this too is most definitely deserved! Well done!

Oh, but we are far from done. As stated, there were 38 other writAARs nominated and they are (listed in order of the final vote):

It honestly does not matter where you ended up on this list. The true fact is that some or more considered you one of the finest or their favorite writAAR of this previous year. That is such a huge compliment considering how many different works and writAARs that show here. For myself I can say once more that it is with great pride and quite humbling to be considered with the rest of these names. It truly is an honor and every single name listed should be congratulated for awesome work done in 2022. So too our voters for putting forth the time and effort to tease from their memory all of these great names. Thank you to both for your writing efforts, your reading efforts and your fandom in every way.

It is said that writers write and by God, you have! As the great @Lord Durham said so many times...now "Write On!"

Look for the reveal of the AAR of the Year tomorrow. Another very competitive race and unless you've done your own forensic accounting (though without my proprietary accounting system which is incredibly scientific and soon to be trademarked), it could be any one of the highly celebrated works we've seen thus far. But you'll have to wait. Until then, the floor is open for your own congratulations, thanks and just general lifting up of these amazing writAARs!

• 4Like
  • 4Love
Reactions:
Congratulations @Bullfilter @Macavity116 and @Chilango2 !! WritAARs are, of course the backbone of AARland and your wonderful works (wether they are well thought out and detailed accounts of alternate history, long running masterpieces in space opera, or spectacular poetic epics by an avian species) provide an excellent glimpse of what the land of AARs has to offer.

And congratulations to all nominees as well! Keep writing!

• 4Like
Reactions:
@Bullfilter is not just WritAAR of the Year... no... @Bullfilter is THE WRITAAR OF THE YEARS!

Seems like an appropriate title. ;)

Congrats @Chilango2! The Stellaris AAR forums is a quite place ever since the songs of the Saiiban fell silent, but I heard you are sharing your dreams of an honest world with the Vicky 3 AARland now. Those readAARs don't know how lucky they are.

Congrats to the other nominees, too. You're all on this list because readers saw something great in your work!

Also, I think this is my first-ever top three finish in the yearlies! Thank you all for your votes! You've made the end of my story that much sweeter. 10 years of dreaming and 5 years of writing well spent. Thank you. :)

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Congrats to all the winners! I assumed only one @Bullfilter is the first place winner and the other two are dead?

• 3Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Congrats Bullfilter! I really want to dive into Macavity16's AARs as soon as I have time. There are so many I don't know where to begin, would any readAAR have one to recommend to me? I really enjoy Dreams of an Honest World, so I am very happy for Chilango2!

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Wow, I never cease to be pleasantly surprised by these accolades and never ever take any for granted. Thanks so much - there is no greater honour than peer recognition. Thanks also for those who have already (or may subsequently) offered kind comments.

Very warm congratulations to placegetters @Macavity116 (aka Metacavity) and @Chilango2 and to all those wonderful and brilliant writers on the list. To be included in your company as a ‘first among equals’ this year is a great honour.

It honestly does not matter where you ended up on this list. The true fact is that some or more considered you one of the finest or their favorite writAAR of this previous year.
Absolutely right. Thanks so much @coz1 for your kind words, hard work on these awards and high placing in this year’s list (copper medal? ;))

• 4Like
Reactions:
Absolutely right. Thanks so much @coz1 for your kind words, hard work on these awards and high placing in this year’s list (copper medal? ;))
I'll take a copper...especially from you, m'lord. ;)

Really well done, my friend. Honors for years.

• 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Congrats @Macavity116, @Chilango2, and @Bullfilter! You all deserve this!

Congrats Bullfilter! I really want to dive into Macavity16's AARs as soon as I have time. There are so many I don't know where to begin, would any readAAR have one to recommend to me? I really enjoy Dreams of an Honest World, so I am very happy for Chilango2!
I'd recommend starting with either Faith in Chaos or All Our Sins Remembered. Faith is the beginning of the 116th Cycle and introduces the most important character (at least in my opinion) in the saga (who has an amazing arc, even if it doesn't appear clear initially). All Our Sins is the chronological beginning and is also the background of the aforementioned character. You could start with After Everything and simply go in publication order, but you can understand most of the saga without it (especially if you read the comments, apparently). I still like Faith in Chaos most, but it's also the first that I actually interacted with, so I'm probably biased :);).

• 2Like
Reactions:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Very many congratulations @Bullfilter! You know already, I hope, how much I admire and enjoy your work – particularly over this last year – so please forgive me for stating once again how thoroughly well deserved this award is. A bravura display of writing this year! :D

Many congratulations also to @Macavity116 and @Chilango2! Two authors whose work continues to make AARland a far more interesting place.

I meanwhile am very flattered to place tenth in a list like this, particularly having only published about four chapters in one AAR over a whole year. My sincerest thanks to all who included me on their ballots!

• 2Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Congratulations, @Bullfilter! You certainly deserve it.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Congratulations to a very well deserved winner, triumphing over a very strong field.

I confess I am torn, on the one hand it would be nice if the emus celebrated this win by releasing @Bullfilter from his cage, but if they do will the quality of writing drop if it is him and not the emu collective?

• 2Haha
Reactions:
It's amazing honor to place in this company. Many congrats to @Bullfilter and @Macavity116 as well as all the others who have been named, as other have said, that means that every writAAR here touched someone with their work, and isn't that, fundamentally, what this is all about?

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
X

<the crowd gives up, there is no turning-back, no point to turn back, nowhere to run.>

<The studio turns into a weird setting, none can be identified in a meaningful way.>

<The band does not wear the absurd-suits of 60s and before, not the lazy outfits of the 70s, not like the void of 2000s; it does not look like contemporary too. The band seems to be in 80s-fit, yet not quite, but a bit more absurd than usual, as if trying to change but not certain how to.>

<Then the crowd realises: It's the age of transitioning from 80s into 90s. This means...>

001.jpg
002.jpg

<The crowd dreadfully shudders, as the band starts to kick-in the synthesiser.>
<Oh yes, lots of residual electro-synth, jammed with semiquaver riffs of guitar.>
003.jpg
1 - 2 - 3 - 4!
Writing like a hurricane,
hitting like a hammer,
a tale like a gem.

Never was a quitter,
fresh like a raindrop,
they’ve got the look.

Celestial sound
cause universe sings those
when they’re writing around.

Telling is a colour,
those tales are wildly gold,
they’ve got the look.

They’ve got the look.
They’ve got the look!
They’ve got the look.
They’ve got the look!

What in the world can make a simple word turn into tales.
Every word you see they create them for you

and I go: LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA!
They’ve got the look.

Fire in the ice,
Macavity flies,
Chilango thrives

But crowned on the top,
posting like a mad bull,
Bullfilter’s got the look.

Swaying to the page,
creating like a machine,
every page a miracle.

Reading is the ocean,
commenting is the wet sand,
they’ve got the look.

They’ve got the look.
They’ve got the look!
They’ve got the look.
They’ve got the look!

What in the world can make a simple word turn into tales.
Every word you see they create them for you

and I go: LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA!
They’ve got the look.

<minor solo between 1:44 - 2:17>
<no worries; wait for the hook on the next one>

Writing like a hurricane,
hitting like a hammer,
a tale like a gem.

Never was a quitter,
fresh like a raindrop,
they’ve got the look.

And you go:
[*]

[*] Appropriated butchered from The Look of the album Look Sharp! by Roxette (1989).
Among the various times it was referenced in other works throughout its lifetime, it was also used notably in the second trailer for The Episodes from Liberty City of GTA IV (Rockstar North, 2008-9).

• 2Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
  • 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions: