• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

coz1

GunslingAAR
29 Badges
May 16, 2002
hearthehurd.typepad.com
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
I'm not sure one could call the Narrative genre the final evolution of the AAR - that likely has not been invented yet - but it certainly was and is the next phase in the writing journey of the form. Grand tapestries, rich characters, living and breathing in the world created by these writAARs based sometimes on hundreds of years or at other times only a mere moment within a game. The works nominated here may develop their AAR entirely around the narrative or it may weave in and out with history or gameplay sections (and comedy) - the beloved hybrid. Some are older works still going, some are brand new. And the same goes for our writAARs listed. In short, this category has it all in both game choice and in narrative style.

If I am counting correctly, every single one of our 23 voters offered at least one nominated AAR in this category. With that, you may conclude that it was yet another hotly contested result. As I followed the vote in my running tally, the lead changed quite a few times. It was not settled until the very final day and the difference between eventual victor and runner up was one mere vote. As I've mentioned before (and will again) - every single vote matters and the number of AARs listed matters too! Placement down ballot is still a vote and it counts just as much in the way I tabulate the results.

With all of that said, let us get to the reveal. I am very proud to present this year's 2022 Narrative AAR of the Year to...

There were a number of new writAARs and AARs listed in this category, but this stellar work shattered the glass ceiling (yes, I had to say it. ;) ) A tremendous debut by a very promising new membAAR deservedly takes home this year's Gold. And as said, it was followed very closely by the runner up...

I'll say more below, but it is an extreme honor to have placed so highly among the voters and there is no shame in a Silver Cup (though it damn well better be sterling silver. ;) ) Nor should there be with our Bronze winner...

Crowns of the Levant by @Werther in Crusader Kings 3

I am biased in that I voted this one my own personal favorite for the year, but I am terribly pleased to see that so many of you thought so highly of it as well.

So many congratulations to both @Von Acturus and @Werther for their excellent work!!

Of course, these were not the only AARs placed into nomination as 30 more were listed and they are (in order of the vote):

The Last Heroes by @Macavity116 (Stellaris)

A Royal Prerogative - A UK AAR by @Le Jones (HoI4)

The Dragons Realm - A House Targaryen AAR by @streaker77 (CK2)

Songs of the Saiiban- A Poetic AAR by @Chilango2 (Stellaris)

To The Strongest - A Hellenistic Resurgence AAR by @Eludio (CK2)

Savages of Utah - A White Legs HOI4 Old World Blues Mod AAR by @RustyHunter (HoI4)

Tomorrow Belongs To Me - A 'Democratic' Germany AAR by @TheButterflyComposer (HoI4)

The Legacy of Uhtred (A Bamburgh AAR) by @Dunaden (CK3)

The Thorn of the Rose by @stnylan (HoI4)

The People of the Forest by @Dunaden (CK2)

The Secret History of the Bargas by @filcat (CK3)

Onward, Toward Perfection (Anthology of the Enclave of Eternity) WIP by @Quinzal (Stellaris)

The Lions of Olomouc: a CKIII Ironman AAR (Duchy of Moravia, 867) by @Revan86 (CK3)

A Galaxy of Wonder by @Nax24 (Stellaris)

Born to Breed: House of the Prophets by @Peter Ebbesen (CK3)

Talking Turkey: Alternate History from 1936 by @Bullfilter (HoI3)

Die Wacht Im Raum - A Kaiserreich Stellaris AAR by @Side (Stellaris)

The Thin Wedge of Europe by @Revan86 (EU4)

Boris & Brian - A Bulgaria Road to 56 AAR by @jak7139 (HoI4)

"The Dawn is Near" - A White Russian Novel AAR by @Khanconette (HoI4)

Dreams of an Honest World - a Mexico V3 AAR by @Chilango2 (Vic 3)

Annuntio Vobis: A Papal History of Italy by @slothinator (Vic 2)

Song of the Karlings: Karloman's Legacy by @LPDK 356 (CK2)

Rise of Rome by @jasondroth24 (Imperator:Rome)

The Chosen People by @Uriah (Imperator:Rome)

Once a Satrapy: A Parthian Dynasty by @alpherbethegamer (Imperator:Rome)

Last Chance at Valhalla by @Dunaden (CK2)

Epirus Ascendant, Part 1 by @HistoryDude (Imperator:Rome)

An Empire Where the Sun Always Rises- A Japan V3 AAR by @hjarg (Vic 3)

'Odin' and Stalin's Secret Committee by @roverS3 (HoI3)​

Hoo boy! Again...so many great AARs! Across the spectrum and missing only HoI2 from the still active sub-fora, this list is exhaustive but not exhausting (despite how long it may have taken to put it together. ;) ) I must say how incredibly proud I am to see the narrative genre still going very strong after all of these years and I really must applaud all of our voters for their time, memory and inclusiveness! It is my favorite form of AAR writing (both in practice and in reading) so it is awesome to see so many others enjoy it as well. No matter where you ended up on the above list, someone thought your work was among the very best or favorite from this past year and that is a huge compliment.

For my own part, I could not possibly express enough how proud I am to see my WOTR listed by so many. A project first conceived in 2007 but not fully put into practice until 2021, and so much of the work done this past year...it is so rewarding just to have it appreciated and enjoyed. I personally wish to thank all of those that voted for it and as stated above, it is a huge honor to be listed among all of these excellent AARs! And also...and every time...I wish to thank those that give to it comment. As we all know, it makes the writing of it that much more fun! :)

An all around great category and vote, and thank you again to all of our 23 voters for their effort! And congratulations to @Von Acturus again for the win. Very much deserved! The thread is now open for your own congrats, thanks and discussion of the work(s) if so desired. Once again...well done, AARland!

• 6Like
  • 6Love
Reactions:
Yes! Mad props to @Von Acturus! This just makes my day to see a fellow Stellaris writer claim a top spot! :D

And congrats to @coz1 and @Werther for their own works as well. You've done AARland proud!

To everyone else who made this list, job well done and keep up the great work!

• 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Congratulations to @Von Acturus, @coz1, and @Werther! Amazing job!

Everyone who's on this list should give themselves a pat on the back!

And thanks to everyone who voted for "Boris & Brian". I really appreciate it!

• 4Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Thank you @coz1 @Macavity116 @Midnite Duke and @jak7139 and to everyone who voted on Shattered Glass! It's wonderful to know that so many people have read and liked Shattered Glass!!

And congratulations to @coz1 and @Werther as well as to all those nominated! Narrative is my favourite genre of AAR and it's always wonderful to see the great stories and memorable characters people create from their games!

And besides, without many of these works, like the Last Heroes and Songs of the Saiiban, I would've never even thought about writing Shattered Glass, so congratulations and keep writing! The stories of today inspire the writers of tomorrow!

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute...
If I am counting correctly, every single one of our 23 voters offered at least one nominated AAR in this category. With that, you may conclude that it was yet another hotly contested result. As I followed the vote in my running tally, the lead changed quite a few times. It was not settled until the very final day and the difference between eventual victor and runner up was one mere vote.

That is downright awesome!

I just checked to see who voted on the last day. It was my dad! (@RedMotorCycle, aka CupOfOwls literally anywhere else, including Stellaris itself)

Dad's gonna have a field day when I tell him about this later. He's an absolute Stellaris nerd and has been a silent reader in the Stellaris AAR forum for a few years now. I'll try to get him to come and see this. :D

Massive congrats, @Von Acturus. You've written a truly great story!

• 3Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute...

That is downright awesome!

I just checked to see who voted on the last day. It was my dad! (@RedMotorCycle, aka CupOfOwls literally anywhere else, including Stellaris itself)

Dad's gonna have a field day when I tell him about this later. He's an absolute Stellaris nerd and has been a silent reader in the Stellaris AAR forum for a few years now. I'll try to get him to come and see this. :D

Massive congrats, @Von Acturus. You've written a truly great story!
I have used you, your grandmother, and your sister in Avon. Does your father want a role as well? The vote was his very first post.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Does your father want a role as well? The vote was his very first post.
I'll check with him when I see him, and after he recovers from getting his mind blown. :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'll check with him when I see him, and after he recovers from getting his mind blown. :)
Well, he cost me a victory ( :p ) and I thought a one off vote from someone that had never posted before was odd, but once more...every vote counts!! I'll take it every time. Hopefully pops will start reading some other AARland works. ;)

Well done, Mac Senior! :)

• 3Like
Reactions:
  • 3Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Does your father want a role as well?
"Tell him I don't wanna be a boring programmer! Make me something cool."

I told my dad what happened. He got a good laugh about everything and I'm sure he's telling his friends at work about it now.

Hopefully pops will start reading some other AARland works. ;)
Gotta get him to branch out from playing Stellaris first. CupOfOwls has sunk just as many hours into the game as I have.

• 3Like
Reactions:
The stories of today inspire the writers of tomorrow!
What Von Arcturus said is very true. I'm actually shocked, when I posted my AAR on the English forum a few months ago, I would never have imagined sharing a podium with coz1 whose works made me discover and love narrative AARs. Anyway, congratulations to all participants and long live AARland!

• 4Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Congratulations to the winners and all who take part!

• 7Like
Reactions:
Warmest congratulations to @Von Acturus, @coz1 and @Werther and all nominees :) And I really enjoyed the story about the winning vote :D

• 6Like
Reactions:
Congratulations to all you guys!

• 5Like
Reactions:
  • 6Like
Reactions:
This one was the one category where I had high hopes of making a decent showing with Lions, but there's just way too much truly stellar (pun very much intended!) competition. @Von Acturus was the one competitor whom I was truly hoping would nail that top spot, precisely for Shattered Glass, so I'm feeling jubilant on your behalf, VA! Just good old-fashioned epic storytelling and some wonderful character interplay, truly well-deserved honour. @coz1 and @Werther, though, also heartfelt congratulations: The Wars of the Roses and Crowns of the Levant are both damn fine yarns (though I kind of hopped in and out of both of them), and the latter all the more impressive for the fact that English isn't your mother tongue!

• 3Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
Many, many congratulations to our three esteemed winners. Very well deserved, all of you! Congratulations on a very tight race.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Three excellent winners and morally questionable use of family connections to rig a vote. What more could anyone ask from an award category?

Congratulations indeed to @Werther , @coz1 and of course @Macavity116 (and family) for their very well deserved wins, it was a very strong field and there are some favourites of mine that didn't even make the top 10 so it's even more impressive to make the podium.

• 3Like
Reactions: