• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
- Comedy AAR of the Year:
  1. Give 'Em the Ol' Basel Razzle-Dazzle - A Habsburg AAR by @Green Rice
  2. Eschate — the Far Side of the World by @A Yorks (I know this isn't comedy, but wanted to put this somewhere anyway)

- Gameplay AAR of the Year:
  1. Talking Turkey: Alternate History from 1936 by @Bullfilter
  2. Quick and Dirty 2: A Soviet Resurgence (HOI3 - March 1944 start) by @Bullfilter
  3. Jumping around, the 1.30 edition by @Sfan
  4. Historical French AAR, 1936 by @makif130289
  5. Khorasan into Mughals - "True Heir of Timur" (1527) by @WolframS67
  6. Patria, Justicia, y Libertad -- Synarchist Mexico AAR by @RedTemplar

- Historybook AAR of the Year:
  1. Der Adler, der Wolf, und die Sonne: Die Geschichte des Stahlpakts by @Wraith11B
  2. The Most Sublime Porte - An Ottoman AAR by @Riotkiller
  3. Empire for Liberty: America in the Long Nineteenth Century by @volksmarschall
  4. History 303 – The Third Kingdom (A CK2 Jerusalem AAR) by @Dunaden
  5. We Are Sildor - A Federations AAR by @Nikolai
  6. Pax Astra - A Stellaris AAR by @Rawghi

- Narrative AAR of the Year:
  2. Blut und Schlacht (Blood and Battle): A Learner’s Saga by @Bullfilter
  3. Civis Romanus Sum (An EU-Rome Vae Victis AAR) by @Bullfilter
  4. Entering the First Court: Kanem Bornu by @stnylan
  5. The Quest for the amulet of Malik Bahram Lodi - A Sirhind AAR by @DukeOfNorfolk
  6. Jerusalem Calling - A Khazarian AAR by @terr0rizm

- Megacampaign AAR of the Year:
  1. Here Dwells God - A Jewish Poland AAR by @Tommy4ever
  2. The Eastern Vikings: Baltic Mega-Campaign Part 4 by @RedTemplar
  3. In Flanders Fields: A Kaiserreich AAR as Belgium by @SibCDC

- Multiplayer/Interactive AAR of the Year:
  1. The Mad Princes of Denmark - Mildly Interactive AAR by @quicksabre
  2. Gott mit Uns - A Mildly Interactive Prussian NWO AAR by @SibCDC

- Let's Play/Video AAR of the Year:

- Graphics/AARtist of the Year:
  1. @Wraith11B
  2. @Rawghi
  3. @Bullfilter

- Character of the Year:
  1. Perse - @Bullfilter

- Writer of the Year:
  1. @Bullfilter
  2. @Tommy4ever
  3. @Wraith11B
  4. @TheButterflyComposer
  5. @Nikolai
  6. @Dunaden

- AAR of the Year
  2. Blut und Schlacht (Blood and Battle): A Learner’s Saga by @Bullfilter
  3. Civis Romanus Sum (An EU-Rome Vae Victis AAR) by @Bullfilter
  4. Quick and Dirty 2: A Soviet Resurgence (HOI3 - March 1944 start) by @Bullfilter
  5. Here Dwells God - A Jewish Poland AAR by @Tommy4ever
  6. The Most Sublime Porte - An Ottoman AAR by @Riotkiller

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
- Gameplay AAR of the Year:
1. Stardancers - A Federations AAR by @RossN
2. Unbreakable China - a NC Tutorial AAR by @Kovax

-AAR of the year
1. Road of Queens - CKII India AAR by @Eurasia
2. Italian Ambitions: A Florence AAR by @JerseyGiants88
3. Echoes of A New Tomorrow: Life After Revolution in the Commonwealth of Britain by @DensleyBlair
4. The Most Sublime Porte - An Ottoman AAR by @Riotkiller
5. A Royal Prerogative - A UK AAR by @Le Jones

-Historybook AAR of the year
1. Jihad on the Savannah: A Vic2 Serious Sokoto AAR by @mad orc
2. Rise of the Folkungs, A Nordic AAR by @streaker77

-Writer of the year
1. @RossN
2. @DensleyBlair
3. @Eurasia

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Note that I plan on ending the vote as of end of day today, more or less midnight my time EST (but if a few more trickle in by morning, I won't complain.) I see a couple of empty placeholders left on the first page so there is still time to get in some votes or for anyone else to offer their own. Counting will likely be slower this year as your humble awAARd runner has been incredibly busy of late, but look for the first couple of categories this week (hopefully.) It likely will not be one a day as I have done in past years, but I will do my best.

And thank you to all that have participated this time around! As I imagine you are, I am very much excited to see who comes out on top for this past year. So many great AARs. So many great writAARs! Your winners are coming soon. :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
The votes have now been tabulated and I am pleased to report that we have nearly equaled last year's total number of voters! 17 members have given their voice and picked their favorite works and there were some tight votes (only 1 less voter than last year.) I'm also fairly certain that there are no repeat winners from last year which means we have some good parity. :)

Normally, I would list the game each AAR comes from when I report the winners, but for some reason (even though I requested it) not one voter included this information (unless it was in the AAR title.) While I could go through each one and figure that out, it would require far more time than I have at the moment to put towards this initiative. Thus I cannot say off the top how far reaching the vote was this year, though it does look fairly representative of each subforum. While I'm not as around as I had been the past few years, I am still pretty familiar with many of the AARs and have a passing recognition of many others. Best I can tell, we have works nominated from HoI2/3 all the way to CKIII. There is no doubt that a huge number of works are yet again mentioned throughout this process and every one of them is certainly deserved for their nomination!

Much like last year, there were only 2 votes for LPs/Video AARs (hey...2 more than last year!) I had considered dropping the category but kept it for one more year. As always, feel free to offer your ideas for next year and on, but from all 17 voters, we found at least some that offered their vote in every other section. Kudos to everyone for filling out many full ballots, many partial and even for those that voted for just a few. Every single vote counts and it shows in this year's results.

In the coming days, I will roll out the winners and list the AARs that were nominated in their own threads. Please look to them and offer your congrats and/or thanks. Every single AAR and writAAR mentioned should feel some pride for their work being mentioned and considered for this. Even one mention I hope brings you more views and comments. :)

Before I begin the reveal, allow me to one more time mention the method of accounting. You were asked to vote for up to 6 AARs/members in each category and they were then given a weight from 1.6 for the first AAR mentioned down to 1.1 for the 6th work. I do this to avoid ties and many times that percentage is the difference between a winner and not. I say it again...every vote counts. ;)

Some results may be expected and some might be surprising. In truth, every single nod is worth it! Before we begin, congrats to all that were mentioned and especially for our winners. Yet another successful year of excellent writAARs and AARs! 20 years on and the Paradox AARland is still going strong!!!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Hey gang, just a note on the reveal schedule. The week has been pretty busy, but I plan to get on with the reveals tomorrow (hopefully one a day through the weekend to get us two thirds of the way through.) Should be complete by end of next week. Congrats to our winners so far and look forward to many more.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So a note on the LP/Video category:

Note the first, I did not make clear the need to have a member here voted upon. We had 2 votes for it this year, but as I looked into it, both were Youtube links. That was a disqualifier to me. While I continue to give credit to the form (although there is reason I include "video" in the category title), we are not here (or I am not) to present awAARds to other forums on the internet. The link needs to track back to here and to someone involved in our community. So I will say that part of this is my fault.

Note the second, however, is that this has been a notoriously un-voted upon category. Last year we saw zero works. I very nearly did not include it this time round, but I was in a pinch when I first put out the call and decided to include it one more time. I do not think that the results are indicative of the work we do here. I do think that video elements of AARs should be rewarded in some way, but perhaps in the Graphics category going forward. But as for these awAARds, I run them to include and embrace those that come to this place and enjoy what we do here and so I am not interested in rewarding those that do not.

Do not get me wrong. I have no issue whatsoever with an LP AAR. Far from it. I have included the category because folks have clearly gravitated to it in the recent past. Trying to be inclusive, however, has not assisted. I take nothing away from those that attempt such (and I've watched them myself) but to be eligible, the authAAR must be a member and post their work here.

My idea in future is to allow these works as eligible within the Graphics/AARtist category, but I am unsure about that. Thus, I would (once again) ask of you what is your preference? These are your awAARds and so I wish it to be what it is you want to see when all is counted. I will not be including LPs as its own category going forward. How we might do it in future is up to you.

I'd offer a reflection on what a "Let's Play" entails: by and large, they are reflections upon gameplay, watching others go through the game. I'd say then that LPs--as long as they're posted on this board--should be considered Gameplay.

Conversely, if they represent more of the artistry of the latter, they could be offered there, much like the last of the CptEasy carnage offerings.

Reactions:
I'd offer a reflection on what a "Let's Play" entails: by and large, they are reflections upon gameplay, watching others go through the game. I'd say then that LPs--as long as they're posted on this board--should be considered Gameplay.

Conversely, if they represent more of the artistry of the latter, they could be offered there, much like the last of the CptEasy carnage offerings.
This makes sense to me, just treat them as any other sort of AAR. If someone did 'World at War' style Video compiling archive footage and 'aged' screenshots of key decisions, with a sonorous and weighty voiceover on top, then stick it in History Book. But if it is pure game footage and discussion of exploits, then Gameplay.

Reactions:
Random thought, and I know I've brought up these bits before, but I also see quite a lot of ballots that are just one or two AARs. I know for myself that going through and hunting down contenders for me can be a bit of a goose chase, so I'd wonder if we couldn't compile a list of some "nominated" AARs from those nominated for WritAAR of the Week, AAR Spotlights or those listed in the various ACAs. Not that it wouldn't prevent write-ins, but would maybe expand responses by working an "easier" accessible way to get cross-pollination.

Reactions:
Random thought, and I know I've brought up these bits before, but I also see quite a lot of ballots that are just one or two AARs. I know for myself that going through and hunting down contenders for me can be a bit of a goose chase, so I'd wonder if we couldn't compile a list of some "nominated" AARs from those nominated for WritAAR of the Week, AAR Spotlights or those listed in the various ACAs. Not that it wouldn't prevent write-ins, but would maybe expand responses by working an "easier" accessible way to get cross-pollination.
Interesting idea.

• 1Like
Reactions:
And there we are! The 2020 Yearly AARland Year-end AwAARds are complete!

All winners have been announced and they have been added to the first post for posterity (I will add these also to the fAARq post for this when I get the chance as well.) I wish to thank each and every one of you that took the time to vote and offer up our nominations. I am certain that anyone given nomination also thanks you. A project like this does not work without your participation. As I always do, I'd please suggest that in future you would/should link to these voting threads within your own work so we might get the word out as far and wide as possible. That said, we accomplished our goal with near numbers that we've seen in the past three years. Four years in all, and I think these have been a success. But as always, the more voters we have, the more accurate the results will be.

Much as all of these works have done over this past year, the work you have all done for this project is much appreciated and proves that AARland thrives. Especially this past year. We have all been through quite a lot and in very many ways. Some have seen more than others in terms of life impact, but to be sure we have all dealt with things we never expected. That we have AARland to entertain us is a Godsend. I may mention this too often, but I've been a member of this forum for 19 years and followed it even before that. With that said, I may be more proud of our efforts in this past year than any other. For all of those impacted by "the plague", for all of those impacted by all else...I hope this place remains a respite and an outlet to continue our attempts at writing, gaming and general friendship. We all need that. I know I do.

[Sidenote: Most especially I've needed it within this last year. Part of the reason for my lowered profile has to do with death, sadly. Not just COVID related, though it has been there, but also this - we lost my brother-in-law nearly a year ago to this day in a motorcycle accident and my best friend of 35 years died January 3, 2021. My mind has not been on writing as much as I might wish it. Much like the rest of you, I'm sure, I've just attempted to KBO. That this place remains an outlet and circle of friends is a reason I will always be a part of it.]

As to do some fb-fb:

While I would prefer to see full ballots over 1 or 2 vote ballots, there is little I can do about it other than spend far more time on the project than I have at any given moment. I do recognize that voting here can be daunting, especially trying to remember all that has gone down over the past year and memories are short. That said, those voters we have seen over these past 4 years have done a more than fair job of finding those AARs and writAARs that deserve distinction. No issue at all with a voter considering those various lists (ACAs, WoW, etc.) but I'm not interested or able to offer up a recommendation list. I don't want to impact the voter with something I might deem "important." In truth, that is why I did not vote this year myself - I had not read enough to think I had an informed opinion.

Frankly, the voters already do a great job at giving recommendations in their own votes, and once more, thank you to all that have gone out and attempted to find those works that are worthy of nomination. Part of the process is putting in a little time and work to hunt down these excellent AARs. I know it's not easy, but it is worth it for those given nomination. And while it is a lot of work for me to compile the vote and/or hunt down the links needed and put out these threads, I will trade fullness and completeness over ease every time. The pain is part of the pleasure because I love this place. I'd love to see more cross-pollination, but frankly that comes from the lot of you to get the word out. I do my part by placing threads in each subforum but the fact remains that if one wishes to venture into this area, they will find riches. If they don't, nothing I do will compel them to do so. Years of research (read:activity here) proves it.

End point - read, comment and get involved. It's as simple as that. It takes some work, no doubt. But it's worth it. :cool:

So we've completed 4 years of these awAARds and all told, I think they have been a major success. To be sure, the LP category needs a rethinking and I am now inclined to follow the above advice on such. In future, I will leave it to the voter if they so wish to include them in their respective categories - gameplay, history, etc. If one wishes to place it in graphics, that is fair too. I will try to outline this once more when we begin the process for the 2021 awAARds (which will come, sooner rather than later so start thinking about them now!) I am truly pleased to have seen so many of our membAARs given nomination and wins in this process and I hope that everyone involved has, if nothing else, found something new to read. Maybe even something that prompts you to comment on an AAR. After all...that is the lifeblood of this forum and frankly, the real reason I run these.

So thank you all for your efforts, both at voting and in writing. And hopefully in commenting. Congratulations to all of our winners and nominees and huge kudos to all of you that participated. We are well into 2021 and I promise that the YAYAs will continue. I hope that you will too, so get ready! :)

• 3Like
Reactions:
Congratulations on another successful YAYA season, @coz1! It wouldn’t be what it is without all us lot doing our bits, true – but without your work it wouldn’t even happen, so frankly you deserve all the kudos we can throw at you. :D

Here’s to all of the great work that came out of a terrible year, and here’s to all of the work to come in this one!

Reactions:
I have nothing much to add to DBs words above, but in the spirit of your post I thought I would comment anyway and say thank you for organising yet another successful round of these awards and my hopes that the rest of this year is somewhat brighter for you.

Reactions:
Just to repeat here what I just said on the AAR of the Year thread: bravo to you @coz1 for all of this. You are a great servant of the forum/AARLand membership and deserve your own award for doing this all over again after such a tumultuous year - simply for finding the nervous energy for putting it all together and seeing it through.

Hope everyone’s 2021 is better, safer and healthier than 2020. At least we’ll have plenty to read and enjoy!

• 1Like
Reactions:
It seemed a pretty good roster and award season this year. Lots of votes and voting. A big year for AARland, with many old aars retiring or finishing forever (including a few of the last great big HOI monsters from yesteryear), and CK3 coming along at the last second to blitz through everyone.

Next year then, that is going to be interesting.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Thanks all for the kudos, but I do this as a labor of love. I wasn't sure if I would be able to go for another round, but truly it was helpful to me (as much as it may have been for you) to have a project, a deadline and a goal. Plus I promised, and I don't like to go against a promise. ;)

One thing I might add to my above statement, which I've noticed in the winner threads as well as elsewhere, is mayhap a using of the "like" etc. function perhaps a bit too much in lieu of actually leaving a comment. No worries if one wishes to add that, but nothing can replace a comment. We aren't FB or Twitter here (thank God!) Words matter. Always. Consider it as you read. :)

• 1Like
Reactions: