• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

coz1

GunslingAAR
29 Badges
May 16, 2002
hearthehurd.typepad.com
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
A full 27 AARs were listed in this category and the final result was a closely contested thing. A mere 0.1 of a point separates the eventual winner from our runner up. Further to that, only 0.5 of a point separates the winner from our bronze winner! (As I say every time...your vote counts and HOW you vote counts as well. ;) ) With that said, we have our winner and the 2020 Gameplay AAR of the Year is...

And as stated, the runner up followed very closely behind...

Our 3rd place then goes to...

Multiple AARs were also given nomination showing we have a plethora of that thing we do here:

Stardancers - A Federations AAR by @RossN

Talking Turkey: Alternate History from 1936 by @Bullfilter

Ged's Existential Nightmare by @TheButterflyComposer

'Odin' and Stalin's Secret Committee by @roverS3

«As We Meet The Void of Space» by @Nikolai

Khorasan into Mughals - "True Heir of Timur" (1527) by @WolframS67

The Past of the Solar Commonwealth by @Qorten

Patria, Justicia, y Libertad -- Synarchist Mexico AAR by @RedTemplar

The People of the Forest by @Dunaden

Blast from the Past - a 1.9.1AAR by @LWE

The Human Stellar Union by @Smokez83

Superior Arguments by @eoncommander

Road of Queens - CKII India AAR by @Eurasia

France - "Better than Napoleon" (Feb.1487) including "Big Blue Blob" (Apr.1480) by @WolframS67

Again with the Norman Invasion. Story of de Hautevilles by @hjarg

The Legacy of Uthred by @Dunaden

Jumping around, the 1.30 edition by @Sfan

Korgonate Cartel - Void Dwellers / Criminal Syndicate (GIFs) by @PossessedLemon

The Fortress isles: Denmark in the Second World war by @noobeless

Utsunimiya's War - HoI3(TFH) Japan AAR by @Eurasia

Historical French AAR, 1936 by @makif130289

Games of Death in the Court of the Fae by @Lord Decobius

The White Eagle and the Knight by @RossN

Rule Kartago by @Nikolai

We see some few writAARs mentioned multiple times above, as well as a nice mix of longstanding works and new ones. Best I can tell, there is also a fairly good mix between games so our base effort remains here in AARland with gusto! Every mention above means that one or more of our voters considered yours the best or favorite of 2020 and every nomination should be considered a testament to your work in this past year. Many congratulations to all and most especially to @Kovax for not only writing in HoI3 but also starting this work fairly close to the deadline. That speaks to the quality, surely.

Now come one, come all to offer your own congrats and look forward to our next winning announcement (possibly tomorrow, but definitely by Sunday.) :)

• 4Like
Reactions:
Congratulations @Kovax for winning, and my dear friend @Bullfilter I think losing by a fraction of a point still counts as winning so congratulations to you too!

Also congratulations all the other nominees and voters, and thanks once again @coz1 for organizing this all

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Now that's what we call a photo finish! :eek:

Congrats to all of our winners, runners-up and nominees! Loads of great names on that list, and a lot of very diverse, top quality work. Great to see this depth reflected so well in the voting!

• 3Like
Reactions:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Congrats to @Kovax and all other nominees and many thank for those who voted for my works. And of course, warm appreciation to @coz1 for running these once again.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Congrats to the winners!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Congrats @Kovax , @Bullfilter, @Alex Kernel and all other gameplay AAR winners
Many if not all times its easy to write a story AAR but it takes a lot of skill to write an AAR focused on gameplay. Gameplay AAR's also teach the game indirectly. I have a lot of respect for them.

Congrats again!

• 4Like
Reactions:
Good to see more gameplay nominees. Never seem to get as much attention as the narrative stuff...

Well done!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Congratulations to the winnAARs! And thanks for the votes for my works, folks!

In the true style of a pure gameplay AAR, @Kovax took us through the steps of their Nationalist China game, enlightening us with their expansive knowledge of hoi3's mechanics. Simple yet educative, a well deserved award. @Bullfilter and @Alex Kernel 's podium places show that gameplay AARs are still alive and kicking on the HOI3 side of things. I'd also like to thank those who voted for my work, even if it isn't exactly a pure gameplay AAR.

Reactions:
It is an interesting point that the top three are all HOI3 AARs while HOI4 grabbed the top two slots in narrative. Perhaps it is because it chimes with my own biases on the matter, but it does seem that HOI3 retains the deeper and more interesting gameplay even as HOI4 has (tried) to improve in other areas.

That is perhaps a conversation for elsewhere, for this is a place to congratulate our most worthy winners!
DYAEiOu.gif

• 2Like
Reactions: