The 2017 CharactAAR of the Year is Duke Foulques in Before Plantagenet-A House d'Anjou AAR

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

coz1

GunslingAAR
29 Badges
May 16, 2002
hearthehurd.typepad.com
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • 500k Club
  • 200k Club
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Deus Vult
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
I must admit that I included this category as a lark, but as I stated in the initial posts of the awAARds thread, we have this weekly for a reason. I could not imagine at that time that we might see 14 voters give voice to 33 different characters! :eek:

It is an interesting mix and as the title above suggests, we have ourselves a winner! Thus, let us congratulate both Duke Foulques and @JabberJock14 for the work done in Before Plantagenet – A House d’Anjou AAR in CKII!

Our other nominees:

Queen Wulfryth in The Wolves of Westseaxna-a tale of Wessex (CKII) by @Asantahene

Cosma in The Little Dux (CKII) by @TheButterflyComposer

Uhtræd in The Bold Prince (CKII) by @coz1

Tiso and Tuko
in Inevitable Defeat - Slovakia '44 (HoI3) by @El Pip

Lisan la Metemes in Entering the First Court: Kanem Bornu (EUIV) by @stnylan

Eadwin in The Rightful King (CKII) by @coz1

Dale Sheeran in The Songs of Sheeran - A CKII GOT Narrative AAR (CKII) by @EmpireofOne

Eadward in The Bold Prince (CKII) by @coz1

Duchess Goris of Novgorod in Meh, I Can Take 'Em — Hohenzollern HIP DisastAAR (CKII) by @Crushric

Rhaena Targaryen in Valyrian Steel: A Game of Thrones Mod AAR (CKII) by @Henry v. Keiper

King Rurik in Blut und Schlacht (Blood and Battle): A Learner’s Saga (CKII) by @Bullfilter

The Hive Mind in The Thoughts of a (Hive) Mind (Stellaris) by @lifehole

Alice Midfield in The Devils of Jersey - an After the End AAR (CKII) by @shalmelo

Gato in “U-boats for Uruguay” a short TFH farce (HoI3) by @markkur

Margherita de Medici in Italian Ambitions: A Florence AAR (EUIV) by @JerseyGiants88

Count Volmar of Hohenzollern in Meh, I Can Take 'Em — Hohenzollern HIP DisastAAR (CKII) by @Crushric

Felix Yusupov in A Fools Luck - Imperial Russian Kaiserreich AAR. (HoI4) by @LTPugh

The Little Old Ladies in Talking Turkey: Alternate History from 1936 (HoI3) by @Bullfilter

King Knut in Whiteshirts of England: A History of the Hvitserk Dynasty of Jorvik AAR (CKII) by @tpmcinty

Rhaekar Valzyrien in Valyrian Steel: A Game of Thrones Mod AAR (CKII) by @Henry v. Keiper

BJ Guildenstern from Talking Turkey: Alternate History from 1936 (HoI3) by @Bullfilter

Andrian in Valyrian Steel: A Game of Thrones Mod AAR (CKII) by @Henry v. Keiper

Count Greigor of Suenik in Suenik Reloaded (CKII) by @iain_a_wilson

Edgar the Ætheling in Ætheling - An Anglo-Saxon CK2+ AAR (CKII) by @Andrzej

Queen Aminestra in Road of Queens - CKII India AAR (CKII) by @Eurasia

Lord Reaver Theon in Reavers of the Isle - a CK2 AGOT AAR (CKII) by @Rufy_King

Cennet Ceylan in Talking Turkey: Alternate History from 1936 (HoI3) by @Bullfilter

King Bohemund in The White Hart (CKII) by @jasondroth24

Sheikh Wakhushakk of Chach in Incest, Nomads, and Towers, Oh My! A Zoroastrian AAR15 (CKII) by @TheGryphon25

MacArthur in The Sleeping Giant Awakens: A USA Kaiserreich AAR (HoI4) by @History_Buff

Andronikos in Road of Queens - CKII India AAR (CKII) by @Eurasia

Duchess Wulfrun in The Rightful King (CKII) by @coz1

The above works encompass not just narrative work but the full spectrum of styles and touch nearly all of the games. CKII is certainly well represented, but there are other great characters out there, to be sure, and it is shown by these numbers!

It was a very close race, I don't mind telling you and it was only in the final days that one of our favorites - Queen Wulfryth - found defeat from the Duke d'Anjou! I know well that she would not be happy but it is a testament to the power of the written word that we should have so many (some of us even got multiple characters nominated.:D) In all just some great work done by all considered and well done to each and every one for creating a memorable and exciting character that sticks in the mind and lasts!

Well done @JabberJock14, especially after your weekly nod of late. It proves the lasting power of the Duke. Great work and great characters deserve to be acknowledged and this one is very well earned! :)

(Look tomorrow for Newcomer of the Year!)

Many congratulations @JabberJock14, you seem to be doing quite well in this round!:) Congratulations also to the others who found their way onto the list!:)

Is that #3 wins for Mr. JabberJock? Whoa! Congrats!

Congratulations to all, and especially @JabberJock14 ! Truly some well written characters in there!

Congratulations!

Wow... I saw Foulques pop up on quite a few ballots, but I didn't think he'd win! Thanks to everyone who voted and I'm proud for this honor. Foulques seems to have been quite popular the last week - fitting given what's happened in my AAR.

Thank you to @coz1 for organizing this - and once more I feel a bit fortunate as I see many of his characters pop up on this list and I wonder how much vote splitting they endured.

Congrats to all those receiving votes! And specifically @Asantahene , who's Queen Wulfryth was so much fun, I almost want to write a short story with her and Foulques trading stories in the afterlife. I bet they'd have loads of fun talking about their eldest sons.... ;)

Wow... I saw Foulques pop up on quite a few ballots, but I didn't think he'd win! Thanks to everyone who voted and I'm proud for this honor. Foulques seems to have been quite popular the last week - fitting given what's happened in my AAR.

Thank you to @coz1 for organizing this - and once more I feel a bit fortunate as I see many of his characters pop up on this list and I wonder how much vote splitting they endured.

Congrats to all those receiving votes! And specifically @Asantahene , who's Queen Wulfryth was so much fun, I almost want to write a short story with her and Foulques trading stories in the afterlife. I bet they'd have loads of fun talking about their eldest sons.... ;)
The old queen tilted back her head and let forth a high tinkling laugh-but it was one that carried no real mirth:

‘Bested by that avaricious Old lecher!’ She spat. ‘Truly the heavens do jest on me...’

But seriously I was wondering who’d win out and whilst the old queen herself is disappointed, I have to say her creator is not. For one: she shone only too briefly in my tale and for her to be leading with only a few days to go is high praise indeed. Second to lose to the magnificent Iron Duke, a man that has taken up many a waking minute before bed for me is the best accolade she can be afforded. And when there were such great characters in the field. Thank you @JabberJock14 and very well done indeed to you and all the other characters who have delighted us so.