• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

erayy_85

Recruit
4 Badges
Oct 7, 2022
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Semper Fi
Hello everyone,

I'm really wondering if there is a way to let Republican Spain join the Axis. I've managed to change their government via a coup, I have very good relations with them, they are on my corner already, I'm not their biggest threat and their neutrality is sufficiently low. The thing is, I cannot convince them to join me. It says impossible every time, and they keep rejecting my transit rights offer as well. Is an invasion the only way or do I need to invade Gibraltar first? Thank you in advance.

Nationalist Spain has a government in the same ideological group as Germany, but still needs Gibraltar to be out of the UK's hands in order to join the Axis. Republican Spain is in a different group, so the odds are worse, and again, they won't join if UK controls Gibraltar. To complicate matters, if Germany takes Gibraltar, there's a penalty to diplomatic drift due to their control of one of Spain's core provinces.

Nationalist Spain is difficult; Republican Spain may be impossible, unless its government changes (which you say you've done) and unless the UK no longer controls Gibraltar, and that's ***IF*** the option that's written into Nat. Spain's decisions is also included in Rep. Spain's. I'd have to dig through the country decisions and other files to see if it's even possible, and I'm pretty marginal at that. Hopefully someone better acquainted with the files will respond.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Nationalist Spain has a government in the same ideological group as Germany, but still needs Gibraltar to be out of the UK's hands in order to join the Axis. Republican Spain is in a different group, so the odds are worse, and again, they won't join if UK controls Gibraltar. To complicate matters, if Germany takes Gibraltar, there's a penalty to diplomatic drift due to their control of one of Spain's core provinces.

Nationalist Spain is difficult; Republican Spain may be impossible, unless its government changes (which you say you've done) and unless the UK no longer controls Gibraltar, and that's ***IF*** the option that's written into Nat. Spain's decisions is also included in Rep. Spain's. I'd have to dig through the country decisions and other files to see if it's even possible, and I'm pretty marginal at that. Hopefully someone better acquainted with the files will respond.

Thanks a lot. Well, that's sad news. Seems like I've been outplayed by the AI then :) I've wasted my leadership too long. Sucks to be a noob.

You can always bring up the console and tag switch to relieve such absurdities, or just invade them of course. While its illogical for republican spain to join the Axis, I'd think if Germany was sat on its northern border whilst having Gibraltar as well it would be more than enough (it is for Nationalist Spain).

To use the console just hit ~ on your keyboard, and type tag = SPR, accept the faction join request or request to join yourself, then type tag = GER. While tag switching ALWAYS PAUSE THE GAME or the AI will take over and ruin everything for you. Keep the game paused and only unpause when back to the original country you were playing. You can always pause or unpause the ai which will allow you to unpause the game while switching tags, but since you're new to the game just stick to pausing it for now.

Its always a great idea to save the game before tag switching in order to not lose any progress if you did anything wrong.

I'll second the final remark about saving your game before trying this. If you accidentally start the game while tag-switched, the AI will INEVITABLY do a whole lot of things that you do NOT want to happen, and will do so in under a second. It may take in-game months or years and hours of your time to undo the mess, if it can be undone at all.

As the saying goes, "To err is human, but to make 100,000 mistakes in under a second takes a computer."

• 1Like
Reactions: