• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
YodaMaster said:
Yes, Moldova has only one leader:
Code:
historicalleader = {
	id = { type = 6 id = 090800 }
	category = monarch
	name = "Stefan the Great"
	startdate = {
		year = 1457
	}
	deathdate = {
		year = 1504
	}
	rank = 0
	movement = 4
	fire = 1
	shock = 4
	siege = 0
}
Startdate matches with your last test.

I test if moldovas baltic expansionism is a consistent feature. If so, would this be reason to alter this leader a bit?

I also ran 2 test games. 1 ended very quickly as Poland declared war on the TO in 1419 and took Danzig in 1423.
In the other the event sequence progressed historically and made Poland dow the TO in 1455. This is quite a good result (the actual occupation of the TO lands was then done by moldova, who ended up with two baltic ports , do they have a leader in this timeframe?) I'll probably do more tests tomorrow
Right now Poland have LAT in their hitlist from 1419. I suggest that's removed for testing these events.

ok, I ran three other tests, with LAT removed from the AI file (POL_1419 right?) and Poland declared war on the TO in 1430 twice and once in 1419 :(. I will also remove the core now, and see what happens

Last edited:
Ok, even with the core removed (which I do not think is justified) war with the TO happens before 1454. usually because the TO attacks lithuania. I propose keeping the core. As far as I understand adding TO to the hitlist also doesn't make poland declare more wars, it just makes it more likely that a declared war is actually against the TO. If this is correct, TO should stay in hitlist. I also think my events need no more encouragements for them to go to war :rolleyes:

Norrefeldt said:
I suggest you ran your tests on COWARD, as NORMAL gives too many wars still.

thought about that too when it already was too late. Will do them sometime this week

P.S. is my interpretation of the working of the AI files right?

I did another 3 tests, this time on weakling. 2 of them resulted in an immediate DOW from Poland on the TO in jan 1419.
In the the third poland did not declare war even after the sequence, presumably because she was at war first with muscovy and then with crimea (both DOWs by lithuania)

Currently Danzig is supposed to become German quite early in the game when its COT forms. I don't know if that should be the case. Although all the important cities in royal prussia (I think this what the Danzig province represents/should represent) are heavily German, this is not the case for the surrounding countryside, which is approximately 50/50 german polish according to my atlas
To my knowledge Poland has never had problems ruling it, and it even voluntarily joined Poland. I'm not saying it should stay polish for the entire game (I really don't know about that) but I think it should stay polish longer

Anyone got any ideas about this?

sabular said:
Currently Danzig is supposed to become German quite early in the game when its COT forms. I don't know if that should be the case. Although all the important cities in royal prussia (I think this what the Danzig province represents/should represent) are heavily German, this is not the case for the surrounding countryside, which is approximately 50/50 german polish according to my atlas
To my knowledge Poland has never had problems ruling it, and it even voluntarily joined Poland. I'm not saying it should stay polish for the entire game (I really don't know about that) but I think it should stay polish longer

Anyone got any ideas about this?

First thing is to answer what culture in EU2 means. Is it an ethnic term or does it represent a political affiliation/loyalty towards particular state.

It culture is an ethnic term, then city of Danzig/Gdansk should be Dutch or Flemish. Most of the city's wealthiest burghers came from Netherlands, bringing their businesses with them. Also the city's architecture resembles that of the Low Countries. The city was in fact not germanized before 19th century. It was rather a multicultural melting pot with Poles, Germans, Dutch, Scots, Jews and God-knows-what-else.

However, we should also remember that the rural areas around Gdansk/Danzig were predominary Polish and the province itself was predominary Polish.

If we consider culture as affiliation/loyalty, then the city should be Polish. It voluntarily submitted itself into Polish crown and many times proved its loyalty (for example in 1655, 1733, 1792) by fighting the enemies of the Polish crown.

Last edited:
yarovit said:
However, we should also remember that the rural areas around Gdansk/Danzig were predominary Polish and the province itself was predominary Polish.
The population given in the province corresponds only to the city. It is generally accepted that the total population of a province is about 10 times larger. If you have data supporting that over 60% of the population in the area that represents the province (including the city) was Polish, then the province should be Polish.

Fodoron said:
The population given in the province corresponds only to the city. It is generally accepted that the total population of a province is about 10 times larger. If you have data supporting that over 60% of the population in the area that represents the province (including the city) was Polish, then the province should be Polish.

So, you consider the "culture" as purely ethnic term.

More correctly, the areas around Danzig/Gdansk are inhabbited by Kashubians (Kaszebe, Kaszubi), an ethnic group very close related to Poles (they consider themselves as Poles btw).

This link shows maps from their cultural institute. They show areas inhabbited by Kashubian majority through the ages.

http://www.kaszubia.com/pl/historia/mapy/index.htm

This map shows the percantage of Kashubians at the end of 19th century. Remember, that the percentage of Kasubians then was smaller then than during the EU2 timeframe.

plprzelom19i202ry.gif

proposition of modified leaders for Livonian order (LIV)

Code:
historicalleader = {
	id = { type = 6 id = 078300 }
	category = general
	[COLOR=Yellow]name = "C. von Rutenberg" #Cysse von Rutenberg[/COLOR]
	startdate = {
		year = 1419
	}
	deathdate = {
		year = 1424
	}
	rank = 1
	movement = 3
	fire = 3
	shock = 2
	siege = 0
	dormant = no
}
historicalleader = {
	id = { type = 6 id = 078301 }
	category = general
	[COLOR=Yellow]name = "H. Scharpenberg" #Henning Scharpenberg[/COLOR]
	startdate = {
		year = 1424
	}
	deathdate = {
		year = 1448
	}
	rank = 2
	movement = 3
	fire = 3
	shock = 3
	siege = 0
	dormant = no
}
historicalleader = {
	id = { type = 6 id = 078303 }
	category = monarch
	[COLOR=Yellow]name = "W. II von Plettenberg" #Walther II von Plettenberg[/COLOR]
	startdate = {
		year = 1484
	}
	deathdate = {
		year = 1535
	}
	rank = 0
	movement = 4
	fire = 4
	shock = 2
	siege = 1
	dormant = no
}
historicalleader = {
	id = { type = 6 id = 078305 }
	category = general
	[COLOR=Yellow]name = "J. von der Recke" #Johann von der Recke[/COLOR]
	startdate = {
		year = 1534
	}
	deathdate = {
		year = 1573
	}
	rank = 1
	movement = 2
	fire = 3
	shock = 3
	siege = 0
	dormant = no
	remark = "Future Grossmeister of Order."
}
historicalleader = {
	id = { type = 6 id = 078306 }
	category = general
	[COLOR=Yellow]name = "W. von Brandenburg" #Wilhelm von Brandenburg[/COLOR]
	startdate = {
		year = 1539
	}
	deathdate = {
		year = 1563
	}
	rank = 1
	movement = 3
	fire = 3
	shock = 3
	siege = 0
	dormant = no
	remark = "Margrave of Brandenburg."
}

yarovit said:
First thing is to answer what culture in EU2 means. Is it an ethnic term or does it represent a political affiliation/loyalty towards particular state.

It culture is an ethnic term, then city of Danzig/Gdansk should be Dutch or Flemish. Most of the city's wealthiest burghers came from Netherlands, bringing their businesses with them. Also the city's architecture resembles that of the Low Countries. The city was in fact not germanized before 19th century. It was rather a multicultural melting pot with Poles, Germans, Dutch, Scots, Jews and God-knows-what-else.

If we consider culture as affiliation/loyalty, then the city should be Polish. It voluntarily submitted itself into Polish crown and many times proved its loyalty (for example in 1655, 1733, 1792) by fighting the enemies of the Polish crown.
I prefer thinking of culture as affiliation/loyalty, although AGCEEP has never settled the question. This view makes it possible to have Danzig German first, as the Germans were the part of the population that mattered, and as the nobility switched to the winning horse and became polonized, it should become Polish.
New event turing Danzig Polish as soon as it is taken by Poland was proposed here:
http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5679309&postcount=656

Norrefeldt said:
I prefer thinking of culture as affiliation/loyalty, although AGCEEP has never settled the question. This view makes it possible to have Danzig German first, as the Germans were the part of the population that mattered, and as the nobility switched to the winning horse and became polonized, it should become Polish.
New event turing Danzig Polish as soon as it is taken by Poland was proposed here:
http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5679309&postcount=656

Regarding loyalty, Danzig (and even Prussia) was not loyal to the Teutonic Order even in 1419. During war in 1410-11 many cities opened their gates before Polish king and submitted to his rule. Teutonic Order ruled with iron fist both peasants and german cities. However in 1411 TO got reinforcements from Germany and was able to reconquer most cities.
(it were cities which mattered during conquest, as you said yourself about Kaffa).
Local nobility could be considered the only social class loyal to the Knights, but they were not significant in terms of power and only as long as Order had military and financial support from the Western Europe.