• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

hjarg

Insert witty title here
105 Badges
Dec 23, 2000
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Victoria 2
In the year of our Lord 1492, leader of our glorious order was Johann Fridach von Lorinkoff. Our nation is a small one, on the coast of the Baltic sea. Only neighbours are Russia, Poland-Lithuania, Sweden (still vassalized by Denmark) and our vassal, dutchy of Kurland. Lorinkoff decided to recruit new armis so we can fight off the Russian threat and also send merchants to Novgorod, Kurland and Flanders.

Lorinkoffs rule was a short one, and in 1495 he died. Wolter von Plettenberg took his place as a grand master of our order. He was both great general and good leader, though his diplomatic skills were a bit lacking. First we agreed that we need good allies: Russia is definetly too strong for us. We both agreed that the best option is Poland-Lithuania, who is the strongest nation in our region. We proposed an alliance, and they accepted.

Plettenberg also decided that Kurland as a vassal is not as good as Kurland a province and Order attacked Kurland in 1495, annexing it within a year. Plettenberg ordered to upgrade fortresses there and also to promote officials.

But in 1499, Russia saw the oppurtunity and attacked us without any reason. His main army crossed our borders and attacked Livonia. Soon Dorpat was under siege. We asked help of our allies the Poles, but they refused! Russians soon begun the assault on Dorpat, but failed. Lord must be protecting us: soon after that they left back to Russia.

Plettenberg decided to take the initiative and took our army (8/4/10) to Russia. We found Russian main army (40 000 man) in Novgorod and after long battle our cavalry managed to break through enemy lines and force them to retreat. Suprisingly, we lost only couple of hundred man there, Russia's casualties reached to 10 000- 15 000 man. We started our siege of Novgorod.

In the same time Russia attacked Kurland, looting Livonia on the way. Still, he couldn't conquer the town and left, but our provinces are in ruins.

In 1502 small part of our army (2/2/7) attacked Novgorod. Russia must have anticipated our attack, for his main army of 90 000 man was waiting for us there. Once again, our soldiers proved to be superior to Russia's troops: we won again, losing only 400 infantry and some cavalry units. After that battle, Russia asked for peace, offering 250 indemnities. We accepted.

We decided to use the money we got to improve our fortifications and recruit additional armies.

1505 Ivan III rose to throne of Russia. He was a strong supporter of his father's expansionist politics and his first command was to declare war on Pskov. In 1509, Russia finally annexed it. This was very troublesome news, for now we had even more common border with Russia.

1517 Marthin Luther did some carpentering work at Wurtenberg. Soon, the whole Europe was in flames. I and Plettenberg had several long discussions concering this new faith: protestants, but we couldn't decide which one to support. Finally, in 1522, we decided to convert to protestant faith and abandon the true faith. We had no choice: the people had decided for us. All our provinces had converted to Luther's faith as soon as they heard about it.

Naturally, our stability dropped to zero and we had to increase our investment in stability. The money we gained from conversion went mostly to promote officials, though we also recruited some extra troops.

In 1532, citizens of Tallinn decided to upgrate their fortress. Same year, the plague hit Tallinn and local nobles revolted in Livonia.

Plettenberg died in 1535, after being headmaster of our order for 41 years. Hes reign was mostly peaceful, only one war with Russia at the beginning of the centuty. He was a proud man and after seeing the treachery of Poland, he decided not to commit to any alliances, but rather stand with support of our swords. That was a bad decision, for now we are alone against the growing might of Russia and all surrounding nations hate us.

Next grand master was Hermann von Bryggenei. His reign was a quiet one. We sent even more merchants to Novgorod and eventually gained a monopoly there. Only event was fire in Riga in 1547.

Bryggenei died in 1549 and next grand master was Johann von der Recke. He ruled only for two years.

Our next ruler was Hindrick von Galen, who became our grand master in 1551. Same year Russia begun his attacks on Kazan and Astrahan. We were happy at the beginning- we though that Russia would bleed to death in these wars and give us a little peace. To our great suprise, Russia annexed Kazan in 1552 and Astrahan in 1553. That made Russia twice as big as they were and looks like we are their main target for now.

1557 Kurland rebelled. Our forces managed to destroy them, but only with great losses. Von Galen also died this year and Wilhelm von Föstenberg became our next grand master.

We noticed that Russia was massing troops in our borders. And in 1558, they attacked us again. After nearly 50 years of peace, our country had to fight again. Russia split their armies to two and attacked Tartu and Riga. Additionally, another army attacked Ingermaland and besieged Narva. Soon the city fell. Also, the fortress in Tartu was showing craks and Russia assaulted. War is beginning to turn disastorous. We have only two provinces left: Kurland (besieged by Russia) and Estonia, our capital province.

In 1559, Förstenberg decided that he was uncapable to rule Order and retired. He was replaced by Gotthard Ketler. He was able to achive our first military victory in this war: he attacked Russian army in Livonia and won. He begun the siege, but soon the winter begun and there wasn't enough cannons or man to conquer the city. Same year, emissarys of Crimea came to Livonia and made us a small gift. They were seeking for alliance against Russia and we promised to think about it. Allie like this would truly prove useful, if we want to survive this war. At the end of the year, Russia decided that he cannot win Riga and retreated.

In april 1560, Russia's army arrived to Estonia and begun the siege of Tallinn. Also, in june he begun to besiege Riga once again. Tallinn's heavy fortresses were too much to them and they decided to retread in september. In october, peasants in Harjumaa rebelled. We quicky produced new units in Tallinn and crushed them.

Next year, the disaster became even bigger. Poland and Sweden declared war on us as well. Poland's troops led by Radziwill quickly conquered Riga in june. Swedish troops landed in our last free province, Tallinn, and after long negotiations, Tallinn decided to surrended. This was the end of our glorious order. Our land is divided between Russia, Poland and Sweden, our people are made slaves or killed and our country is in ruins.

The end

im starting to think that russia is a major power in the game. Also that the teutonic knights hold some fertile land. russia wants um bad it seems. Good stuff though, question for you. it seems like your country not too strong, do you have royal marriages or alliances? can you view the actions of other nations in europe or world?

look forward to next years

BRILLIANT AAR, absolutely bloody loved it. Pretty good you managed to survive for nearly 70 years against your enemies, which was very good. That offensive by Sweden and Poland-Lithuania would have proven impossible to defend against I agree. Your major fault was denying yourself allies, e.g. the Hanseatic League, for example.

Also, a bit confused regarding the general Radziwill, the one in the files :

Radziwill'
startdate = {
year=1612
}
deathdate = {
year=1655

Yet, this one was apparently already being used in 1560 ? Perhaps he was a random general.. but I don't think so.

Sapura

[This message has been edited by Sapura (edited 13-02-2001).]

Very nice AAR! We don't get enough of these non-successful ones. The Teutonic Knights must be one the toughest minors to start with, they're not large, not rich and have two highly aggressive, large neighbors. I don't think I've ever seen them survive into the 1600s.

By the way, did you do something to the game to make Estonia the capital province of the Knights?

I've seen the Order survive past the 1650's .. though at a reduced capacity. Sometimes they've even rebelled from Russian / Polish rule during civil wars and become independent again.

Great AAR though, really enjoyed this one. Maybe try it again with the Order, see how you go the 2nd and maybe a 3rd time.

Sapura

Thank you all! I am flattered :)

Hmmm.. i have discovered intresting fact: you don't need the game to write AAR :D. Just knowing a little how the game works and Russow's 'Chronicles of Livonia' will do just fine :)

I don't even have the game yet :) Fooled you!!! So actually this AAR is based on real history, not EU game. That was the real sad end of Teutonic order.

And Sapura, Radziwills were a very big family. Almous always there was at least one in Polish history.

But I intend to rewrite that one again when I get the game.

[This message has been edited by hjarg (edited 13-02-2001).]

Come to think of it, in all my games, there has been one standard story for the Baltic provinces, and it goes like this:

1. There's the Teutonic Order and Kurland, their vassal.
2. Poland-Lithuania starts flexing some muscle, and takes Kurland.
3. Some time passes; by now, both Poland and Russia are getting strong.
4. Poland takes Memel. (This is about mid-to-late 1500s.)
5. Russia and Poland split what is left of the Order (late 1500s).

Later on, Poland usually collapses, so the Baltics becomes either totally Russian or Russian and Swedish, depending on how well Sweden does in the game. However, I did once see Prussia take and keep Kurland and Memel with a perfectly timed offensive; they declared war on Poland just when their army had been more or less decimated by Russians and Turks.

Originally posted by hjarg:

I don't even have the game yet :) Fooled you!!! So actually this AAR is based on real history, not EU game. That was the real sad end of Teutonic order.

You little devil you... I thought you had taken the plunge and bought the German version or something. Next time, I'll ask for a screenshot before I say anything... :D

And Sapura, Radziwills were a very big family. Almous always there was at least one in Polish history

Rofl! I knew something was wrong when you mentioned Radziwill .. I was speaking to Patric, everyone 'wtf? 1560? Bloody hell'.. and yes I know about the Radziwill family ;)

Bastard!

'Later on, Poland usually collapses, so the Baltics becomes either totally Russian or Russian and Swedish, depending on how well Sweden does in the game.

Er, not in my games, they're usually 90% Polish even in 1792 in a lot of the games I've seen / played through.

Sapura

Since I almost always play countries in central europe like Kurland, Bohemia, Pskov, Poland has a slight tendency to fall apart before the end of the game :) Thats what they get for being so damn forceful against my righteous expansions!

/Johan

The Baltic 90% Polish? Hmm... come to think of it, in all the recent games I've played through or almost through (as Turkey, Hansa, and Russia), I've had at least something to do with Poland's demise, although I don't really think I started their downslide in any of the campaigns.

Can't hardly wait to get EU so that I can try my hand with the Order. I have noticed in the AAR's that Poland and Russia seem to back out of a lot of alliances--is this a feature or something else? These two nations never seem to support the player alliance, however, they do seem to support computer nations.

I think that the Orders best bet in GC would be to ally with the Danes --they seem to be a 'reliable' ally-- quickly at all costs (Russia would probably come along for the ride). When Sweden revolts, jump in and grab a province or two. If Prussia revolts from Poland, grab some land there too. Hopefully you could survive long enough for Russia and Poland to destroy each other, and then again, grab some easy land.

------------------
'What's a battle?' - Ralph Wiggum

Wow...that's where the edges of AAR and true history become a blur! :)

However, truth is stranger than fiction, and when I put up my next AAR of the Papal State soon there will be a few strange happenings (not really concerning my reign, though). I've done but 44 years so far, however, and playing a minor, there doesn't happen as much as if you're playing Spain or England.

Can't wait for Hartmann's/Doomdark's patch 1.3, because then I will give my home country of Holstein a serious try... ;)

Again, hjark, great 'AAR', sort of! ;)

------------------
Attrition is not a strategy. Attrition is the apparent lack of strategy. (Sun Tzu)

Hehe i was completely fooled you made it sound like you ahd the game. Hehe the Order is a very big enemy to the Polsih people in actually history so if i were you i would have never allied with poland. CAuse if i playied as Poland and you allied with me i would have waitied for you to attack a country then i would cancel the alaince and take your lands.

Is it possible to gain releations with countrys you have a census bill with Im thinking aobut trying to get on friendly terms with russia and make a allaince with them when i get the game.

Hehe that would make poland unstoppable with such a big supporter as Russia.