Tell us your story! Sept 24 - Oct 1

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

PDX_Pariah

Community Manager
Jul 21, 2020
Salve Citizens!

We are all about making the story feel like your own tales told through History! We know many of you have a story to tell about your favorite playthrough and experience and we want to hear it!

Tell us about your favorite experience from a first person point of view and add a screenshot in the thread! We look forward to all your stories and all the tales you have to tell.

Who knows, there might even be prizes for the best story!

Rules:
- One entry per player
- Told in first person from the leader(s) point of view
- Screen shot of your Character and/or Domain
- Submitted no later than 23:59 CEST on September 30th
- Only entries in this thread will be considered
- Vote on your favorite entry so we know your thoughts as well
- Please remain on topic and only post your entries in this thread (Thanks in advance)

• 22Like
Reactions:
After the scout returned from the south with lurid tales of autocratic tyranny, Tribal Chief Aiorix Duratus knew he had to act quickly to save the people of Boihaemia from Greek slavers! He immediately sent word out to all 4 corners of Boiheamia, calling all able bodied Boihaemians to uproot, take what supplies and arms they could carry, and follow him immediately to Macedon! He intended to send a message to all these so called Diadochi: That they’d best steer clear of Gaul and particularly Boiohaemum, as we’ll not stand for their madness!

The first 2 armies of migrant warriors arrived to an open battlefield devoid of any enemy combatants what-so-ever. “Where were the storied legions of Macedon” he wondered? “Who knows & who cares” was the answer he quickly arrived at. As soon as the other 2 armies of Boihaemianized Getian//Zalommoxians arrived (settle/migrate insta-assimilate/conversion), he planned to take and hold the Macedonnian core territory of Thessaly.

After many gruesome battles the Macedonian diadochi surrendered (as he was hopelessly outnumbered). 2/3rds of what the Greeks called Thessaly was ceded to Aiorix and Boihaemia. This was not before many secrets were learned, especially from the razing of their capital Pella (migratory tribe raze button for tech advances).
Boihaemmia-1.jpg

After spending a few years and making countless speeches in Thessaly, Aiorix managed to deradicalize many of the noble, citizen, and freemen undesirables turning them to proper Boihaemian Druidics and indistinguishable from any of his legacy tribal migrant horde armies (settle/migrate function in Thessalian cities). Bohemia’s work wasn’t done though! The crazed Thracian diadochi, the tyrant of Lysilichemmia and henchman to dreadlord Alexander himself would have to be dealt with! This would be a tricky affair though, as the Thracian king had wisely aligned himself with the one eyed tyrant of Anatolia. Chief Aiorix ordered Boihaemian diplomats to scour the countryside in hopes of finding a way to draw the mad Lysimmachos out without triggering the Antigonids. After a time, he received word from the far northern reaches of the steppe that the Thracian king had taken up with the Tyrgetaens. Aiorix completely decolonized Boihaemian Thessaly and led the migrant horde toward Tyrgetae/Thrace. Why the otherwise reasonably minded Tyrgetaen tribals would align themselves with one of these Greek tyrants was never determined, as the lands Tyrgetae and Thrace were ravaged beyond recognition and the Thracian capital province claimed for Boihaemia.
Boihaemmia-2.jpg

After many speeches by Chief Aiorix, the urban residents of Thracian Europa came around and joined the tribal migrant horde (settle/migration function) much as the undesirables (nobles, citizens, & freemen) in the Macedonian cities of Thessaly had. The Thracian cities of their capital province Europa were reduced to rubble (decolonized with the settle/migrate function).Chief Aiorix knew the olive wouldn’t fall far from the tree however, and, even though the one-eyed tyrant was gone, his offspring would surely take up the banner of tyranny. Chief Aiorix ordered everyone capable of carrying a club or pitchfork to take up arms and follow him to Anatolia. All of Boihaemia uprooted, transforming the entire population of Europa into a migrant horde heading to Anatolia!
Boihaemmia-3 Europa.jpg

Chief Aiorix Duratus died uneveventfully shortly after securing the province of Mysia in a peace deal for the Boihaemian people. This was not before learning a great many secrets from the dense urban clusters of Anatolia (raze button).
Boihaemmia-4 (Phrygia).jpg

Last edited:
  • 11Like
  • 5Love
Reactions:
Naravas Ahmid

Aryston Lykurgid

Eupolemos Zeuxid

Anaxikrates Lykurgid

Megaleas Lagid​

Dear Generals and Admiral,

I am the great-granddaughter of Ptolemaios I. He was companion and historian of Alexander the Great until his sudden death. Since then, my dynasty has became Pharaohs of Egypt and guardians of Alexander remains at the Alexandria’s Mausoleum.

In three generations, we have conquered the proud nations of Kush, Nabatea, Sicily and Sparta. We have incorporated the nations of the Aksumite, Cretan and Cyernaican people and we have won battles with the incipient but strong power of Rome, adding the provinces of Calabria and Siculia to Egypt.

These are the deeds of my ancestors, but not mine. I have the blood of the Lagidai and I have the legitimacy to rule our nation after my father’s dead. With this letter I am demanding your loyalty to transform Egypt in my reign:

Our nation is vast and diverse in regions. Prove of that are the fifty cultures among our people. To manage this diversity my family has granted many rights to the most populous nations like the Sahidic, Faiyumic, Libyan and Aksumite people. But this has proven insufficient and the loyalty of some provinces is falling due to the corruption of their Governors and the unrest of the large settlements.

First, we must distrust Governors, because they become corrupt easily, expensive for the treasure and hurting my control of the provinces. My grandfather had to imprison the Cyrenaica governor for this reason, and I do not want to risk a civil war after an unsuccessful trial. Thus, I will keep a close eye to all nine governors and if their loyalty falters, I will not bribe but befriend or assassinate them as I see fit.

Second, we must free most of our people to tackle the unrest. For generations we have promoted settlement’s improvements to increase population and production. On cities, we have built mills to increase production and improve slave’s life conditions. These policies have encouraged the overall number of slaves. Instead, we need to transform and fund new cities full of freeman, citizens and nobles, buzzing with commerce, research and more important for you, manpower.

Finally, rest assured my compromise in our nation domineering stance. I am still the Queen of Queens and the integration of Kush, Sparta and Nabatea is progressing as expected. You will have more exciting conquering campaigns on my watch. But we need to prepare because the other Major Powers will not ignore us forever. Now, we have borders with Macedon, Antigonid Kingdom and Carthage is close. We must be vigilant and invest in new technologies, train our armies and recruit more soldiers.

ΤΟ ΜΕΛΛΟΝ ΕΙΝΑΙ ΜΑΣ

Antigone I Lagid

Bassilissa of Egypt

13 of May

1601197471648.png

• 5Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Excerpt of the personal notices of Statikos Tritonid (Ruler of the Piratene Tribe of Libernia)

StatikosTritonid.jpg

Chapter "October 450"

I'm standing on the battlements of Iaders fortress, having my eyes out on the Adriatic sea:

Iader.jpg

Another rainy day, but today clouds are looking dangerous. A heavy storm is coming in and it is coming fast. The wind gathers in strength. I'm a daring person, but this could get nasty. The small fishing boats outside are left to the mercy of Poseidon, a Deity our passed away chief has neglected. Should we have to regret... I'm not able to finish my thought as a brilliant lightning, instantly followed by tremendous thunder, jolts the fortress and strikes the tower closby...I hear the sound of cracking stone..and something like one of Zeus' thunderbolts hit me... blackness surrounds me.

"Mortal Statikos...no, you aren't dreaming. It is me, the Father of the Sea. Don't speak, just listen. What you have seen today was my final warning. Your tribe has lost its way long ago, cuts off its roots. You ancestors ruled the sea, spreading fear on every merchant ship and each port. And they never forget to gave me my share. But over generations your people turned into coward landlubbers. I'm fed with this blasphemy and was about to strike my trident into the rocks having to hold the collection of shabby huts you call Iader...if it wasn't for you. My eyes followed you the past years. You and your family appear to be pious and you were brave enough to go out in the storm, while everyone else took cover. And you have the Triton in your name...so I decided to give you and your tribe a last chance. Devote your life to me and bring back Libernia to glory. Fear no work and danger and I will guard your ways. Or fail and submerge with your people!"

Something touches me. I'm opening my eyes. My beloved wife Ammida sits at my bed and takes her hand from my forehead: "No fever at least!" There lays some anger in here voice "So my prayers were heard and Hades spared you this time. I just wish you would remember that Mellito needs you and you would stop to constantly dare the gods again and again..." Before I could respond, she has left the room.

AmmidaSarid.jpg
MellitoTritonid.jpg

But in the years of ouf our marriage I have learned that Ammida is more worried than angry in these moments, so it usually not worth to get in rage...and wait...pain strikes my head again...and I remember. The drea...no, not a dream. The thunderstorm, my injury, Poseidon appearing...a vision. So clear, so true. Poseidon has shown us our path - the only path we have.

During completely recovering from my accident in the following weeks, I immediately started my work for the glory of Libernia and Poseidon. Without a doubt this should start with giving Poseidon the room in our pantheon he deserves. This resulted in a discusion with our High Priest Loantios Statikid, who would have prefered continuing with worshipping Apollo in first place.

LoantiosStatikid.jpg

PanesStatikid.jpg

But I got unexpected support from our proficient religious researcher Panes Statikid:
"Statikos is right. We should be grateful to Poseidon for the clear and empowering vision he gave us. I already see Libernian fleets of Triremes and Hexaremes ruling the waves again...The Oracle of Delphi on the other hand was always quite ambigious about our fate, or not...valued colleague Loantios?"
Panes and his obsession with fleets...but he is surely right about the gods. Loantios sadly shakes his head:
"I guess I should trust you as my ruler here, but as this goes against my inner belief. Switching worship because of a better porphecy? Watch out that not one of Apollos arrows strikes. You should probably search for a new High Priest then...I hope of course that you will repay my trust and plain-speaking by offering me another duty."
"Ok, Loantios. Thank you for your open words. I will remember your talents!"
I will need to do that indeed, as I need loyal advisors to get anywhere with the scope of changes I plan to do in the near feature. Sacrificing to a new god is one thing...
Poseidon.jpg

...but our nation needs to fill this visions with new ideas, like investing in permant shipyards. And idea have to be executed...even the best ruler can't be everywhere at the same time...you have to have the political influence on others to get things done. And finally...
"Tribal Chief..." Panes Statiklid interrupts my thoughts: "...there is another issue. Our sacrifing rituals lack consistency and deities often don't reveice their prefered ones. I figured out it would be good to write down some rules for this". He hands me over a parchment with the headline "Hierarchical Haruspiciation". I take a quick glance on it. This looks good - we will need the favor of the goods.
"So what do you need to enforce this...oh, don't answer...I know that look. The Magistrate will give you everything you need...and now start with it!"
Panes doesn't move. I look irritated at him and ask:
"So what you are waiting for?" "Eh...Chief, I'm the Researcher... isn't that the business of the High Priest?"
"Loantios resigned and you will take his position. And now go to work!"
Panes speeds to leave, but he does it with a happy face. I hate the thought that I will probably have to shuffle and replace more of my advisors, since that inevitably means angering some of them...I don't get how my predecessor worked with some of those in charge. There is more than competence - loyalty and keeping the clans happy, but even with that in mind...I can only shake my head at some of his staff choices.

But that not the only pressuring thing. The situation around Libernia is changing. Rumours of neighbours rallying together in defensive leagues make the round, not to speak of Rome over the sea in the west becoming stronger and stronger. We are still disliked by many for the piracy our ancestors did eons ago and nothing seems to be able to change that. Well...if they don't like us anyway...isn't that the perfect excuse for going back to it? Some earthly support could augment our prayers and sacrifices...merchants reported that our old Taulantian brothers in Abria are ruled by Dolens Ziraieid now, who shares my passion for the sea. Maybe it is possible to growth a friendship and alliance between our nations, letting both Illyrian pirate states stand united against their foes and the test of time?

DolensZiraieid.jpg

• 8Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
"I am Sophytes I Sophytid, Ruler of Bactria, for years I have served Alexander the Great more now with his death something has change in me, a desire for something more a desire to leave my name in history and take Bactria to its rightful place, a country so exotic with so many different cultures and religions and magnificent! you don't deserve to be forgotten!"
20200926121411_1.jpg

"More as we can see we have some problems to solve! Alexander's greatness left many Macedonians blind, thinking that they are superior to other peoples! and now with his death I am surrounded by snakes who do not accept the open stance I have with "foreign" peoples.
We will grant some privileges to these "fools" to make them a little more loyal."
20200926121734_1.jpg20200926121753_1.jpg
"Of course, I cannot forget the Bactrian people, there are many "interesting" characters in the region so we are going to grant a few more "privileges" to ensure their loyalty."
20200926121710_1.jpg20200926121719_1.jpg20200926121808_1.jpg
"And some changes to satisfy both sides"
20200926121742_1.jpg20200926121759_1.jpg
"After these changes, I solved "part" of the problem about loyalties, but we have more issues to resolve. We cannot forget the administrative part."
20200926121849_1.jpg

"There are some provinces in Bactria that are populous, but there is not enough food for everyone and by the time we solve this I don't want my people starving!
I like to start internally when it comes to food and luckily Bactria and a country blessed by the gods have many natural resources."
20200926121904_1.jpg20200926121923_1.jpg
I restrict the food trade and press the "beautiful" automatic commerce button after all we do not want trade request spam, I do not want to be disturbed about it :p
20200926121951_1.jpg

After this began to colonize the northwest region of Bactria because it is very common for Nomads to occupy the region and I do not want this, I change the law to King of Kings I release some provinces that I do not have full control as vassals ( after all if you do not have full control from a province she tends to become disloyal very quickly ), plus some changes... in the end we can finally start our ambitions It's time to release the pause button :cool:
20200926122248_1.jpg

"The "Favorites" of Alexander the Great begins their "silly" disputes trying to restore his Legacy and the war started among the Diadochis, of course I as a "Good" Satrapy of Seleukids will help ( without forgetting insult him before, after all, no I want them to absorb Bactria ) but my priorities here are different..."
20200926124000_1.jpg

"Burn! burn all possible cities of Antigonid!!! Hahaha... And I mean this can be a little cruel I know, but all of this and for the sake of my people all this money will be invested in Bactria, it is not like I am taking this money and buying Holds for me and reducing my corruption with increased wages..."
"After years I finally managed to have a child with my wives even though I am at an "old" age I must remember to make an offering to the Gods!"
20200926130147_1.jpg

"Years have passed and I feel that my time is approaching... the war against Antigonid lasted longer than I imagined I never imagined that he would be such a resilient enemy and when I let my son take over from here he reminds me a lot when I was younger..."
20200926144241_1.jpg

Well that's! my campaign continues logically i will leave some more spoilers here of some later events but i don't want to extend myself too much in this topic good game to all!;)
Parnia kills Ruler Seleukids and starts the war against the nomadic tribes I decide to help after all they were becoming dangerous
20200926144947_1.jpg

I integrate Sogdian cultures because they are many! and it would take me a long time to assimilate them and a wedding event happens I decide to marry most of my characters ( My Ruler not because I was already looking at a certain daughter of one of my vassals... )
20200926150018_1.jpg

After the war against the nomadic tribes is over I realize that there is 1 month left before a civil war starts in Seleukids and it's time for our independence!!!
20200926150513_1.jpg

And finally I win an entire province without having to spill blood using my "cunning" making friends with a neighboring ruler in Maurya ( well though I was inspiring disloyalty for a LONG time in the region's governor )
20200926153458_1.jpg20200926153451_1.jpg20200926153516_1.jpg
And we have the appearance of Diodotus logic that I decide to marry my daughter with him...
20200926160306_1.jpg

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions:
MFW.jpg
>Be Me
>One-Eyed Diadochi
>Rewind 30 years
>Served under Philip II and now his son, Alexander
>Help take over half the known world
>FeelsGood.JPEG
>Philip's son is alright, but way too dramatic.
>Keeps talking about going further East without consolidating realm back home. Ignores soldiers and guilt trips them until they literally mutiny.
>Finally get the order to go back home.
>Look forward to cushy Satrap lyfe.
>Alexander croaks on way back home.
>Who's in charge here.wav
>Backroom Shenanigans Ensue
>Decision reached between Meleager/Infantry and Peridccas/Cavalry
>Meleager/Infantry get ded
>Get Phrygia, Lycia and Pamphylia as a reward
>Maybe life won't be too bad now
>Fast Forward to now
>Still fighting over Alexander's Empire
Diadochi.jpg

>No Friends, Only Rivals
No Friends.jpg

>Too old for this shit.JPEG
>Stuff Breaks People Die
>MFW People try to make a story about me in a videogame 2300 years later

• 6Like
  • 6Haha
Reactions:
Historian.png

Greetings, citizen,

My name is Ingric Andicus, royal tutor and personal chronicler of her royal majesty Mundhild Gerhaucra of the Indus Valley. What you are about to read is a complete telling of our history and an answer to the question how our people, the Suebes, came to settle in this part of the world.

Suebia.png

As her days will sadly soon come to an end, her majesty has ordered me to provide as accurate an account of this as I can, so that the deeds of her forefathers may never be forgotten. I address this story also to the queen’s daughter Rupa, whom I have personally tutored and who, Tuisto willing, will succeed my revered queen someday. May she learn from the designs – and the mistakes – of her predecessors.

To begin to tell the story of Queen Mundhild and her remarkable rule, we have to go back one century.

Back then, our Suebian tribes had just consolidated their power, controlling northern Germania and its adjacent seas with their powerful fleet. Our people have always been a naval power first, and the Suebian realm prospered – so what was to happen next made little sense to any of the chieftains at first: their ambitious chief, Sunnogast Dwaldus, advocated for an unheard of expedition eastward. He planned “to go and spread the Suebes’ strength and unity to the distant spice lands by the sea”, as one of his confidantes recalled his words. You see, a haggard, wayward explorer by the name of Demodamus had docked a northern port the year before, claiming to have been to those distant lands and offering a strangely carved statue as proof. Anyone else might have chased him off as a madman, or at best allowed him to stay in port until his ship was repaired. Sunnogast, however, took this explorer in and promoted him to his council, and they set to work planning this mad fool’s errand. In the history of our people, the fool’s errand would become known as the Great Migration.

Sunnogast.png

In June the following year, Sunnogast left Suebia at the head of a great caravan of warriors and hopefuls, 30.000 strong. Leaving his country in the capable hands of his son in law, his caravan cut a path through the Carpathian mountains until they reached populated lands once more. Here, a local king tried to block their way, fearing these ‘foreign barbarians’ intruding on his land, as he called them. In the ensuing battle, the tribes fought back his armies and took many captives, among them the king’s young daughter, who had travelled with his army. No peace or ransom could be agreed to, so when Sunnogast marched on, the young girl was still his prisoner. Her name, as she told him with surprising confidence, was Thessalonike, and he would do well to respect her, for she was descended from none other than Alexander the Great. That name did not mean much to Sunnogast at the time, but since he found the girl’s attitude admirable and she did not seem to be in a hurry to get back to her war-like father and brothers, he took her in and allowed her to travel with him in his personal carriage to these distant lands they were searching for. For Demodamus the explorer insisted that these were not the rich spice lands he had discovered, so the caravan marched on. Rumours of their victorious battle raced ahead of them, and soon no other king was to oppose them on their journey.

The way led through mountains and deserts, and many men were lost in these harsh conditions, but at last, after years on the road, the Suebes reached a new, arid coastline. Sunnogast looked at the explorer, and the explorer nodded. They had made it; the rich lands he had spoken of lay just ahead. Alas, this barren beach they found themselves at would be unable to sustain their great army for very long. They had passed through fertile plains a few months before, but they had been compelled to hurry on by the watchful armies of another Greek king – who also claimed to be an heir of this Alexander – and it had been evident that the Suebes were not welcome there. The foreign soldiers, though smaller in number than Sunnogast’s caravan, were evidently much better equipped and supplied, and some of them were riding on huge war beasts the likes of which no Suebe had never seen, so he had decided against wagering everything on another confrontation and moved on. Now, however, it became clear that taking these plains by force might be their only remaining course of action if his people were to survive. They would not last through another few months of crossing these inhospitable deserts.

In this desperate hour, luck came to our leader’s aid. While the preparations for his risky assault were already in motion, his scouts returned to the camp reporting of battles being fought in the deserts to the north. The armies of the Greek king were clashing with those of another power, this one likewise fielding the huge war beasts. Though he lacked insight into this political climate he found himself in, Sunnogast recognized its unique opportunity rather than its dangers. Spreading his migrant soldiers out across the Greek king’s realm and moving them into position on key roads, he finally officially declared war on the Greeks, on the grounds that he, too, was an heir of this Alexander and thus had a right to this land. This reasoning seemed to be working for everyone else, so why not him? In the following months, Sunnogast took city after city from the Greeks, who were too preoccupied with their other foe to effectively stop him. Temples of various odd faiths burned all over the country as his men took what they could and then retreated before the cumbersome large armies of the king could show up. To fearful citizens and peasants whose walls Sunnogast had stormed, he became known as ‘The Besieger’. With these treasures and enough provisions to last his caravan another year, he finally retreated to a city near the original beach where he had made camp, and had his men dig in into defensive positions. Finally, evidently unable to afford this foreign horde occupying his territory any longer in the midst of another war, the Greek king conceded to Sunnogast’s demands and granted him the coastal provinces he occupied.

Most of them turned out to consist of nearly inhospitable land: arid deserts, sandy beaches and hills, with barbarians plaguing the hinterlands and pirates the sea. But there were also a handful of large towns scattered along the few fertile places along the coast – including, notably, one vast, sprawling city at the mouth of a great river, which had reportedly been founded by Alexander the Great. Upon Demodamus’ advice, Sunnogast immediately relocated there, planning to make the city his beach head in this foreign land, and eventually perhaps a flourishing capital for his people. The people who lived in these parts had been surprisingly welcoming at first, evidently glad to be free of the Greeks’ yoke, and even though they worshipped a variety of strange deities he thought they could be integrated into his new realm. Particularly these foreign ideas of cycles and eternal life intrigued Sunnogast. He envisioned himself uniting these vastly different peoples and ideologies into one, powerful culture, much like his ancestors had done all the way back on their home shore.

He did not live to see this dream come to fruition, however. This was were the first great crisis struck our people: Only months after he had reached the great city and his soldiers had begun to settle down among the local population, Sunnogast ‘the Besieger’ died of a strange fever, leaving the great caravan abruptly leaderless. In the following scramble to maintain order, one of his confidants, Randobald of the Gerhaucres clan, was finally elected as the new chief. To say that it was a contested election would be an understatement, as Randobald was not at all popular with the people. He was a warrior who was seen more as Sunnogasts vicious attack dog than a capable successor; extraordinarily gifted in military matters but completely unfit for government by all accounts. However, as unlikely as it seemed, his ascension to chief of the Suebes might have been what saved the Great Migration in the end. Because only a few weeks after Sunnogast’s death, a vast foreign army suddenly appeared beyond the river and drew up in front of the city gates.

Unbeknownst to our people, the war between the Greeks and their foes had ended, and now this foe had set his sights on us. It was a king of the Mauryans, as these people called themselves, and, under the flimsiest of pretences for war, he personally led an army of 30,000 directly into our new homeland. A force so large had not been thought possible, much less commanded by a single man. Faced with certain defeat, a few disloyal Suebian chieftains abandoned the city, leading their retainers back the way they had come and leaving Randobald’s forces isolated and hopelessly outnumbered. He would surely perish there, they thought. But Randobald, for all his faults, was nothing if not stubborn. He would not relinquish his city or abandon his people this easily just as he had been elected as their leader.

So, with the craftiness of a man who had nothing to lose, he employed every military strategy he knew to beat back the tide – and devised a few new ones himself, as well. Employing the reliable hit-and-run tactics of our people, he sallied out from the city and cut off the great army’s supply lines. He had Demodamus reinforce the city walls, allowing him to bring in indigenous craftsmen, who were frightened enough of a looming sack by the Mauryans to aid him in his efforts. He hired local mercenaries to reinforce his troops, paying them with the gold from the Greek cities Sunnogast had looted. Contrary to his reputation, he avoided open battle at all costs, unless it was on favourable ground. As the fighting shifted from the plains and deserts to the mountains, he had his soldiers abandon their chariots and equipped them instead with the heavy armour they had seen the Greeks use in battle. Remembering the chaos Sunnogast had unleashed in their enemies by striking deep into their territory, he sent out small raiding parties on horseback to hit the foreign aggressor’s countryside. To counter similar attempts by the Mauryans, he built forts on seemingly impossible locations; deep in the dry deserts and atop high mountains; places that no army could assail without enormous casualties. Finally, with his smaller forces being routed and his country reeling, the Mauryan king abandoned his ineffective siege of our city and turned his great army around to cross the river back into his own territory – where Randobald, having gathered his motley army of clansmen and mercenaries, waited for them on the opposite bank. The fighting was bloody and lasted until sunset, but at last when the dust cleared, the Mauryan army was in retreat and Randobald stood as victor.

However, his own forces were almost completely depleted and he felt that, should this war go on, an empire that could field armies the likes of the Mauryan king’s could only emerge as the winner compared to his exhausted, fledgling nation. So, while he was still in an advantageous position, he sent envoys to the king to offer his terms. He was prepared to recall all his armies from Mauryan soil for a guarantee of peace and security for his city. None of the rich, fertile lands he had conquered would be taken – they were indefensible, as he well knew. The mountains and deserts surrounding them, however? The Mauryan king seemed only too glad to give up those seemingly worthless lands if it gave him reprieve to build up his strength again. Within months, new forts sprang up in these inhospitable places, as Randobald made sure that no army could ever walk up to his city uncontested again. The attack dog was displaying an uncanny sense of defensive politics.

Now, this war had exhausted our people greatly. It had also transformed Randobald from a despised soldier to a hero of his people; the man who single-handedly saved them from certain doom. Randobald had a different outlook, though. He recognized that his victory had been as much due to luck as to his own military prowess, and to his enemy’s initial underestimating of the Suebes’ strength. And the war had laid bare a few glaring deficiencies in his own people’s systems and mentality as well: our gold reserves had been burned away by Randobald’s mercenaries, as his small country could not sustain such expenses by itself. His rival chieftains could not be counted on should worst come to worst, and their desertion had nearly destabilised his entire defence, fragmenting his army while the Mauryan king commanded his own uncontested. Furthermore, the nature of the caravan meant that every man was called upon as a soldier, leaving nobody to plow the fields or repair the walls – he’d had to rely on the local population for that. When the next attack came, as he was sure it would, these faults could prove disastrous. Changes needed to be made. Fundamental, lasting changes.

You have to understand, dear reader, that while nowadays it sounds normal for us to address our rulers as king or queen, back then what Randobald proposed was met with fierce opposition: Following the example of the Greek and Indian realms, he suggested that the elected ruler of the Suebes should be granted ultimate, unrivalled power in the realm. His title would pass on to his son instead of powerful chieftains, to avoid squabbles the likes of which had ensued after Sunnogast’s death. Chieftain levies would be eliminated, control of the military consolidated under loyal generals instead. Taxes would be collected regularly, not pressed onto the population in emergency situations. The migrants of the caravan would finally settle, freeing up a large portion of the population to work in the economy. In their place, a smaller standing army would be raised; professional soldiers who would be armed and armoured as well as the best of the neighbouring empires.

Needless to say, the large families were not happy with these ideas, especially not Sunnogast’s Dwaldus clan, who were seeing their prospects of ever again rising to such legendary status vanishing. But Randobald, with the support of the people behind him, pushed his reforms through. His realm officially became the Kingdom of the Suebes, stretching along the coastline of what the explorer called the ‘Mare Erythraeum’. It was not the mightiest of kingdoms in this part of the world, but, so Randobald hoped, it would be able to hold its own against the others. After all this effort, he officially ruled as king for less than four years. He passed away peacefully in his residence at the centre of our capital, passing the crown to his son Rigmund.

Rigmund.png

Rigmund, however, is a man who should serve as a warning to our soon-to-be queen. He was far from the mindful leader his father had turned out to be. While not without a certain intellect, he was rash, volatile, and he resented that his father had so easily given up the rich provinces of the Indus Valley in favour of nearly uninhabitable deserts and mountain ranges. Consequently, after only a year on the throne, he resumed hostilities first with the Mauyrans to the east and then with the Greek kingdom to the west. While the army his father had built up proved its worth and won a series of large victories, the war once again strained the kingdoms economy and its population to its limits. In the absence of the Suebes’ fighting forces, our new provinces were starting to voice thoughts of independence, free from both our or the Indians’ rule. Rigmund refused to see the danger in this, however, and pressed on even beyond the Indus Valley, until finally a great Mauryan force engaged him in their heartland and nearly routed his army. Even then, he only reluctantly agreed to a peace treaty after one of his most powerful generals threatened to defect. He had gotten his wish of ruling over the entirety of the Indus Valley, but it was apparent to anyone with eyes to see that these lands could not be held with the Suebes’ depleted forces and would be overrun as soon as the truce with the rival kingdoms expired. Upon returning home, Rigmund attempted to fund the expenses of his campaign by pressing high taxes on the Indian population, provoking even further unrest. In order to raise money to pay the war’s debts, he even went so far as to tear down some of the crucial fortresses Randobald had built. Without the ability to pay wages or otherwise appease them, even the diminished former chieftains were starting to once again conspire amongst themselves, undermining the still fledgling kingdom. To everyone except perhaps for Rigmund himself, things looked dire.

However, the one sensible decision the king had made in his life was to marry a truly remarkable woman, one Hildborg of the Dwaldes clan. This Hildborg - beautiful, intelligent and dangerously ambitious – was the granddaughter of Thessalonike, that Greek princess whom Sunnogast had taken captive during the Great Migration. The princess had eventually married into the chief’s clan and since then her line had quickly become influential in the Suebes’ new home – Randobald had greatly relied on her militarily gifted son during his campaigns. Now that man’s daughter, Hildborg, was married to the king of the Suebes himself, and had to watch for years how her husband nearly ran their country into the ground, skirting the edge of civil war multiple times and busy suppressing uprisings of the malcontent Indian population. Worse, she could never gift the king with a son and heir. Their only child, a bright, sunny-tempered girl she had named Mundhild, was her pride and joy, but under Suebian law women could not inherit their father’s titles. In the absence of a male heir, it was clear that one of the influential heads of the great families would take over the throne after her husband passed away – or, as seemed increasingly likely, they would speed that process along and make a violent grab for power, tearing the country apart in the process. For the sake of her people, Hildborg knew she could not let that happen.

What happened next was as much a testament to Hildborg’s cunning as to the unique sets of values and cultures that the new Suebian state had formed. In a swift coup d’état, Hildborg gathered her husband’s chancellor, the grand admiral of the fleet and the governor of the closest Indian provinces, and together they approached theking in his chambers and presented him with an ultimatum: he was to abdicate of his own free will, or each of them would pull all their retainers back, opening the door to the capital for anyone who lusted for the crown. The king, having fallen into some form of depression by then, had long tired of his responsibilities and the endless problems of his reign. He agreed to the demands almost immediately. The chancellor – a descendant of Demodamus the Explorer – took the crown from his hands and, as the court watched, proceeded to place it not upon his own head, but upon that of the king’s young daughter, Mundhild. Among the shocked whispers of the people in attendance, the young woman sat down on the throne and began to speak, and it soon became apparent that she had inherited not only her mother’s wit, but also her silver tongue. By the time the nobles learned of what had happened in the palace, everyone inside its walls was already firmly behind the young queen; the first in our country’s history and heiress both to the first migrants and to Alexander the Great.

Mundhild.png

Our blessed queen Mundhild Gerhaucra, though she had never shown ambitions to rule previously, wasted no time in leaving her mark on the kingdom. Within months, the disloyal nobles that had so plagued her father were either swayed or imprisoned. Under the guidance of her mother she passed number of new laws, granting rights to the Indian peoples of the Indus Valley and securing a new, loyal base of supporters for herself in the process. These provinces were never to rebel again. Next, she tackled the issue of her country’s borders, which her father’s aggressive expansions had stretched to dangerous levels. Recognising the wisdom Randobald had displayed in drawing his borders along easily defensible forts and deserts, Mundhild took this idea a step further: instead of stretching her army to all corners of her realm, she granted four of her border provinces independence, choosing four of her most loyal advisors to rule them as client kings on her behalf. Her new clients were placed in such a way that they secured all major roads into her kingdom, with her own navy safe-guarding them from any incursions by pirates or the great powers around them. Reflecting the proudly multi-cultural nature of her people, two of her client kings were of her native Suebian culture, one was a Persian and, crucially, the fourth was Indian. Though few saw it at the time, this was the first step towards a lasting balance of power with the other major players on the Indian subcontinent.

Two years after her ascension, Mundhild took a husband. Not a noble from one of her country’s great families, but the young nephew of the ruler of our powerful neighbour, the Pracyan Empire. Her betrothed’s uncle, the newly-crowned Raja, had no intention to continue his forefathers’ feud with his Germanic neighbours, recognizing that a great deal of his country’s wealth now stemmed from imports of valuable goods from our Indus Valley. The marriage proved mutually beneficial, finally securing peace and furthermore gifting the queen with a husband who was skilled in administration and finance; a self-confessed weakness of hers. In this informal alliance between the two great powers, so both sides hoped, lay the foundation for a bright future free of war.

And indeed, our queen’s reign has become one of peace and prosperity. She told me that she realized early on that Sunnogast and his successors had, largely unknowingly, conquered lands from which all major trade from east to west could be controlled, either by roads or by sea. Accordingly, she made full use of this strategic location: Our capital Alexandria at the mouth of the Indus flourished, and now draws people from all over the realm towards its markets. A great university was built here, whose scholars are developing new ideas and technologies almost by the day. The last great pirate fleet was cornered in the river delta only ten years ago, their port subsequently seized and destroyed.

Alexandria.png

While the formerly great Greek Empire to the west has since known almost half a century of strife and civil war, our country enjoys a period of unprecedented contentment and stability, as I don’t think anyone will doubt. Tuisto willing, it will continue to do so under our queen’s daughter, once she takes the throne.

This I would like to impart to our new queen, as one last lesson: learn of the great men and women who have brought our country to this point, and then learn from them. Take wisdom from the madman who led an entire people east; from the warrior who bent the new world to his will; and from your mother the queen, who united our people and led them into this new age.

Long may Suebia endure!

Ingric Andicus, royal tutor and historian.

• 4Like
  • 3Love
Reactions:
This story isn't that special and neither that long like others. It's a rather common story about the Seleucid empire dealing with internal problems. Problems that were not caused by the Seleucid dynasty itself. Rather by underpaid and poorly educated Persian and Sogdian investigators. Our short story begins with the rule of Antiochos II Seleucid, who in is ultimate wisdom to stabilize the realm and getting rid of pesky pretenders with super bad stats, succeeded in assasinating his nephew Phyromachus. He decide to commit the act himself since hired arms can be so unreliable during these chaotic and waring times. What he didn't take into account were them next generation of persian detectives and their unorthodox style of investigating.
1601565356070.png

The investigators came to the conclusion that the murder was committed with bare hands by strangulating the victim and the Persians were well aware that these were the preferred weapons of Antiochos, since it was common knowledge that he carried them around all the time.
1601566828841.png

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 5Haha
Reactions:
That's a wrap, friends!

Thank you all for participating! We will be contacting each of you individually and thank you again for the hard work. It was an excellent time and a terrific read!

• 5Like
Reactions:
Well there was no pronouncement after that I thought it was strange since they said they would contact the participants, and maybe there would be a prize for a better story...

Indeed, no contact since then. I'm by no means impatient, @PDX_Pariah hasn't given any timespan when that contact is supposed to happen and I could imagine a few reasons, why that date may still lie in the future.... Still it is surely debatable whether a silence of a few weeks after such an announcement is good PR in these fast times, where most people expect to happen everything instantly and even better already yesterday ;)

Reactions: