• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(6777)

Field Marshal
Dec 10, 2001
I'm curious about the technology aspects of the game.

If I read the overview correctly, it would seem that to progress from one century to the next you must research 5 seperate "technologies" for each. Will this be heavily weighted geographically? The Italian (particularly Venetian) economy and "technology" got a huge head start in this area in comparison to northern France or England. Then there's the fairly intrinsically advanced Iberian situation which practically starts the period at a tech level that is superior to what much of rest of Europe would have for a couple hundred years (in some ways, anyway).

Is there a similar "adjacency" modifier applied too, simulating the spread of information as it radiates outwards? Even though I gather the mercantile aspects are to be "downgraded/downscaled" is there also "adjacency of trading partners" incorporated where the spread of information is just as likely to occur along trading routes as it is to slip across to an adjacent neighbour?

Will there be a "library" or "university" type structure that can be built to enhance research? Presumably if a Horde-type army subsequently sweeps through the area, it would be destoyed?

Re: the "five" technologies per century - are they similarly grouped for each century? (meaning, are they similar to EU2's four areas or are they individually identified and not particularly classified in to "fields"?). What happens when you chronologically fail to achieve all five fields in a given century? Presumably you start getting into a horrible disadvantage...but are there other implications?

Will your tech level versus a possible opponent's tech level play such a dominent role in the game as it does in EU?

How are the non-playable countries' technologies handled? In particular, do the various "heathen" nations advance technologically as well?

Can technology be "captured" by gaining the fealty of someone else's Duke (who already has something you don't)?

I guess I'll save my other million questions of excited curiousity for anotehr time.:D I cannot wait to see this game!