• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(16020)

Field Marshal
Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
This is a big area that I believe Buke is working on. I believe any suggestions (particularly with descriptions!) will help. Pictures should be considered last, and they are the easiest part.

I think what has been decided so far is:

1) The tech tree will start right after 1960's Soviet tech. This means a country with no technology will be using AK-47's and old Soviet tanks.

2) Nukes can not be used by the AI so they are more or less removed at this point. Nukes COULD be given to the AI via events in response to various things, but I don't think there is any need for the nuclear tech tree. I've been thinking it might not be bad to replace this one with a space program and sattelite tree.

Doctrines are going to be complicated since we aren't futuristic military strategists. Beyond a few ideas, this area might be a little fuzzy, and the descriptions may be non-existent. I'm visualizing things like "Futuristic Tank Management" and "Semi-Modern Marine Landing Procedures" unless someone else can come up with something.

Well, Right now, I'm just doing the basics of looking up model names. I also have a couple of plans rolling around in my head. I believe the major catagories should be:

Infantry Tech
Armored Tech
Electronics/Computer Tech
Industrial Tech
Space/Sattellite Technology (replace Nuke)
Rocketry Tech
Naval Tech
Gunnery Tech (Replace Artillery/Same as Artilley)
Submarine Tech
Aircraft Tech (Replace Heavy_Aircraft)
Helicopter Tech (Replace Light aircraft)
Land Doctrine
Naval Doctrine
Air Doctrine

Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Lunar
Well, basically the purpose of space would be to allow sattelite-based technologies in the other trees. Some of which could greatly increase the effectiveness of your units (tanks having screens inside them displaying a birds-eye view of the battlefield as they fight).

I agree. Space and Sattelite techs would greatly increase inteligence and other key aspects of combat.

I was a bit wrong, it's in the main scenario file instead of the .inc files. Go to C:\Program Files\Strategy first\Hearts of Iron\scenarios\Modern Day Scenario or whichever scenario you are using and go to the individual country sections somewhere around mid-way. You can search for "LUX" and you'll eventually get to the countries section and scroll down until you get to the efficiency listings. A militia one looks something like this:

militia = {
mountain_attack = -40
hill_attack = -10
forest_attack = -10
jungle_attack = -15
swamp_attack = -15
urban_attack = -15
river_attack = -15
shore_attack = -15
paradrop_attack = -15
fort_attack = -15
blizzard_defense = -15
snow_defense = -15
frozen_defense = -15
rain_defense = -15
storm_defense = -15
muddy_defense = -15
night_defense = -15
desert_defense = -15
mountain_defense = 15
hill_defense = 5
forest_defense = 10
jungle_defense = 30
swamp_defense = 10
urban_defense = 10
blizzard_move = -70
snow_move = -35
frozen_move = -25
rain_move = -10
storm_move = -25
muddy_move = -20
night_move = -15
desert_move = -15
mountain_move = -15
hill_move = -15
forest_move = -15
jungle_move = -15
swamp_move = -15
urban_move = -15
}

I work with editor some times but occasionally the editor screws up when it saves files and corrupts them. This was very bad when HOI first came out and made the editor unusable. The latest patch seems to have solved these problems but I still take caution when using the editor.

Originally posted by Buke
I work with editor some times but occasionally the editor screws up when it saves files and corrupts them. This was very bad when HOI first came out and made the editor unusable. The latest patch seems to have solved these problems but I still take caution when using the editor.

Ok, thanks for answering my question.

The be honest, I suck with the editor. Ever since I started making my own personal mods for HoI, i've always used just a text editor, and it seems to work fine.