• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Feb 15, 2006
General research ala eu, specific or the random model?

Same with techs, all immediately in effect, or do you have to rebuild troops and ships.. perhaps infra & trade buildings too?

Perhaps having just one, say a center of trade level 8 would confirm that your civilisation knows how to do that stuff, rather than going into micro and having to build them all over... but lose one and you would have to re-build/conquer it.
Would act almost like wonders in civ.. costing their 100d (basic stuff)-> 3K for highest? (and a excellent excuse to enter some nice art onto the map ;) )

The CK system worked fairly well, but rather have all fields of research active, than just one and none of that spreading (aside from old neighbour bonuses).

Ofcourse the fields of research would need a good overhaul, but other than that, its what i would prefer. Something less determinant, while allowing you to keep your money..
(we all know how pre 1600 even paying 25 ducats would be almost impossible without a loan)

I like the EU2 system: The tech there represents a kind of general "appliance" rather than actual known technology (IE: Your "Land Tech" isn't really about wehter or not you know what a musket is but whether or not your army has the organization et. al. to equip them with muskets)

Basileios I said:
I'm hoping for more detailed "research" and special improvements that you can "buy", like Musket armament for armies etc.

Hmm.

What would you say about building troop types?
Like in moo1 or moo2 you design a ship with shields and guns etc..

Now you would design a soldier with armor, guns and training etc.. then call it say "The Imperial Guard", and set to produce those?

Say a maximum of 5 such armytypes, and all upgradable.

NO!
Or, to clarify:
GODS NO!
Keep the soldiers generic (*maybe* split "infantry" into "Heavy" and "Light" and do the same with cavalry & artillery, each being good against a "different" type) but *don't* start messing around with divisions or unique troops (except possibly mercenaries with better stats)

Keep things simple.

Nope, that's too detailed, IMO. I was thinking about upgrades which you can "research" specifically, like better weapon technology for your troops. Not just global tech levels like in EU2.

Basileios I said:
Nope, that's too detailed, IMO. I was thinking about upgrades which you can "research" specifically, like better weapon technology for your troops. Not just global tech levels like in EU2.

Actually I could see a few more fields of research (Split "Land Tech" into "Equipment" "Doctrines" and "Logistics" perhaps?) But specific objects ("Research Muskets") just tends to be weird. It works for HOI2 because the timespan is so short, but we'd really need a tech-spread model to make it work in EU2.

I like CK way of research.. it is the most historically accurate!

however I wouldn't like to see whole CK events engine here.

szmik said:
I like CK way of research.. it is the most historically accurate!

however I wouldn't like to see whole CK events engine here.

Agreed.

Whic has me thinking onward.
If you no longer spend money on research, the what about inflation which was a force to be reckoned with?
Not spending money is motivated also by the fact that kings did have money before installing a set of guvernors without destroying the nations economy.

Rather perhaps a special slider for "debasing the currency"?
Which in turn demands a partially new mission for guvernors, like +3 tax, +2% growth and -2 RR?

I'd favour a system less controlled by the player, something a la CK. The player must be able to try to focus on something, but it should be more random development.

I too would prefer a research system like the one in CK. Province specific techs and all. Much more true to the timeperiode.

A tech system similar to the system in Imperialism I would not be too bad. Things were "invented" automatically by the game at certain times (+/- a few years randomly I think) and you bought these inventions - meaning you implemented them in your country. So you never researched gatling guns, but when they were invented you had to pay to upgrade your armies to have them.

:)

The beauty of EU2 is that everything is simple yet interwoven. I wouldn't mind if the research system gets a bit more complex, but they shouldn't go overboard here. It would be nice to have some interdependencies between the different tech "streams", so that you can't just go to infra 5 or so and totally neglect everything else.

I would really hate a game where we would have to get n times 'you discovered x' before it reaches every province you control.

It may be more realistic, but it would also lead to event-spam, and other such nasty things.

I also fear an Imperialism style wouldn't really work, as it's decidedly based on a turn-based system.
I feel however that the real-time system for it exists allready: Ahead of time penalty. The system isn't anywhere near perfect, but it can be seen to represent the fact that it's harder to implement new weapon-technology if they aren't invented.

The CK system is the best.

You should be able to influence technology at least, and if you can produce muskets in London, why wouldn't you be able to send the muskets north and train musketmen in scotland?

Avernite said:
I also fear an Imperialism style wouldn't really work, as it's decidedly based on a turn-based system.
How so? I don't see anything in that system that wouldn't work for EU.