• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And EU:Rome wasn't a full blown antiquity game in it's own right?

Pretty much so. It was a antiquity version of Europa Universalis and not a game in its own right like the CK or Victoria games.

Pretty much so. It was a antiquity version of Europa Universalis and not a game in its own right like the CK or Victoria games.

No it wasn't, it was a mixture of CK's character driven game and some elements of EU, it was a pretty unique game. It's closer to CK than EU in most terms I'd say, but it's not CK either.

Well, compared to Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings, or even Hearts of Iron, both Victoria and Rome are rather short names, and way easier to spell relatively. Rome being the shortest of all, but that's not taking into account its truer, longer name. Which would actually make it the longest one by the way.

Besides, both series could very well be rebranded for the occasion.

All in all, this new hint really isn't so decisive, once again. As expected.

At least, we're now absolutely sure that it's not gonna be CK3, although we already knew that much.

Btw do we know which of Titus, Tiberius, Hadrian, and Caligula this is?
(Can't remember if any of those were revealed to be other games or if they all still are secret.)

It would have highly surprised me if they would actually make and EU:Rome 2 so no surprise there. This points pretty firmly towards either a very short name or a very simple one. Both Rome and SPQR are really simple to spell, I really don't see Victoria:III being simple enough to really make a teaser out of it.

Happy to see a teaser again with a strong chance of an antiquity game, mildly disapointed though if it's name is focussing on Rome instead of a speaking of a broader ambition. I will be severely disapointed if we get a map as limited in an antiquity game as in EU:Rome

So Barbie Horse Adventures Stable Manager has to still be in with a shot - Adventures is the only word there that would cause anyone any trouble :).

More seriously though, I think it's a new name for games set in the Rome of Vicky time periods (I love Vicky, but I don't think it's the most marketable name by any stretch, and EU:Rome wasn't their best naming either). So Crusader Kings: Rome then :D.

Antidisestablishmentarianism: The Game Confirned.

First hint is a useless hint, it could be interpreted in different ways and many people waited for many different games. (Victoria's Secret Dating Simulator, anyone?)
Minorities implies POPs, something that we know were a core part of Victoria 2, not so much EU:Rome. Sure they could have added it and so on, who knows.
He also a fan of football manager game, does that mean that it is a football manager game? Not necessarily...
SPQR is probably harder for most people to spell than Victoria or Rome.
I personally welcome any new PDS game and I will buy it anyways.

You are right with what you say, but there a only 2 games which are heavily awaited in the community.
Victoria 3 and „a Rome game“...

Besides it was clearly said by PDX that Victoria is out, and even without this, Victoria is unlikely:
It is more relied to the HOI mechanics than any other games and these mechanics are not polished yet...(naval part, politics, espionage, etc.)

While a Roman / Hellenic game would use much more mechanics from EU and CK...and these brands are 99% polished and received a dozen of DLC. So from a developing side of view this is the only rational decision...

btw
It wasn‘t „POP demand“ but „popular demand“
Populares...which hippocrats did more in the name of the people than roman ones?

Btw do we know which of Titus, Tiberius, Hadrian, and Caligula this is?
(Can't remember if any of those were revealed to be other games or if they all still are secret.)
As far as I can tell, Tiberius and Caligula are both unannounced (both mentioned by codename in this HOI4 DD: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...development-diary-september-28th-2016.971372/). I assume Hadrian and Titus were Stellaris and HoI4?

edit: They weren't... Are those codenames for internal PDS titles only, or for PI in general?

Last edited:
No it wasn't, it was a mixture of CK's character driven game and some elements of EU, it was a pretty unique game. It's closer to CK than EU in most terms I'd say, but it's not CK either.

Yes, of course it wasn't a direct copy. But it was based on Europa Universalis as opposed to stand on its own legs like Victoria or CK. Its kind of in the name "Europa Universalis: Rome" that this is an antiquity version of Europa Universalis.

This just made me think it's going to be a new title, whether its a brand new IP or just a new title. And most likely going to be a name that sort of spells itself. SPQR therefore would seem likely. But I reckon the hints are currently designed to have us go V2-R2-V2-R2. So tomorrow's hint will make us think V2 again.

This just made me think it's going to be a new title, whether its a brand new IP or just a new title. And most likely going to be a name that sort of spells itself. SPQR therefore would seem likely. But I reckon the hints are currently designed to have us go V2-R2-V2-R2. So tomorrow's hint will make us think V2 again.
V3, not V2...

I assume Hadrian and Titus were Stellaris and HoI4?
Stellaris, HOI4, and Runemaster all were in development at the same time. Their codenames were Nero, Armstrong, and Augustus. IIRC then Stellaris was Augustus, HOI4 Armstrong, and Runemaster Nero, but I'm not 100% on which. I am 100% though that the three codenames were Armstrong, Augustus, and Nero.

Are those codenames for internal PDS titles only, or for PI in general?
We've never been told that. Also in case you're looking back then Dallas was either Tiberius or Titus (can't remember which) and only got a different name because they were applying for funds, and got them, from the EU fun for the promotion of European history and cultural heritage.

Meaning that that project has got to be quite Eurocentric for the EU to approve it. It being ROME II would be a good bet, though that doesn't mean that it's that one which is ready for announcement atm.