Taxiways are borked and cause heavy CPU use and game slowdowns

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

maarten_714

Sergeant
22 Badges
Jan 30, 2022
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
TL;DR: Temporary solution at the end of post! (Until Paradox patches it)

So I decided to build a LARGE airport, international size, in one of my cities..... I spent about 5 hours building it, and once it was done I unpaused my game......aaaaand it slowed down to an absolute crawl. Even on 3x speed they were moving slower than 1x speed normally.... At first, I thought I built too large of an airport (30,000 cells), so I saved my game and started slashing random parts of it off with the Move It! mod.... and traffic improved when I slashed about two-thirds of the airport.

I really did not know what could be causing this, and since it could be a a bug in the new DLC, a mod, a combination of things..... I started searching the internet to see if anyone else came across this. And then on Reddit, I found this:
And that was exactly my issue!

I confirmed his theory by loading up my game, and then removing ONLY the taxiways from my massive airport..... And sure enough, speed of the game went back to normal.

So then of course my FIRST thought that this was not the vanilla game, but probably a mod..... we all know there are many buggy mods and they are being updated almost daily, so it could EASILY have been cause by a mod and not the game.

So I decided to start a vanilla map, NO mods, NO assets (-nosteam -noworkshop startup), created a airport area (unlimited money on), and built a grid of taxiways roughly one-third the size of the first starting tile. I then looked at the nearby highway, and traffic has significantly slowed down.

So the outcome of these tests is that the taxiways in the Airports DLC are bugged somehow. And as it is in vanilla, it is up to Paradox to issue a game patch.....

Now, there is a temporary (but slightly ugly) solution: The taxiways that come with the vanilla game (or whatever DLC fist introduced the airport as an option) work! If you use the word "taxi" in the Find It Mod you will surely find it..... replace all your taxiways with it, and your massive airport will work normally (or so it seems). The ugly: There is a clipping hole at each connection to the aircraft stands. But it is functional..... and hopefully only temporary until a fix is issued.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Is it just traffic, or is it all animation bogging down?

I have a feeling it's all animation and the traffic is the most obvious because it's easily seen. In other programs, this is a sign that one of the threads is being hogged causing the other aspects of the program to fight for resources and program time. Not being a programmer, and not working for CO, I'll let the experts fix it. :)

We are aware of this and currently investing it further. I don't have any more to share at this point, but will keep you up to date on this.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Is it just traffic, or is it all animation bogging down?

All animations. The video that someone posted on Reddit (see above in my post) clearly shows the animations of the wind turbines are also slowed down significantly. Basically if you build a large airport with plenty of needed taxiways to direct traffic, your game will slow down to a crawl. If you use the mass transit taxi ways and/or airport roads mod taxi ways, the problem does not exist, so it specifically caused by the Airports DLC taxi ways.

As said above, CO is aware of it. Based on previous expansions, they have issued both hotfixes and patches within a month of release, so I am expecting no different this time around, there will likely be a bugfix patch that will fix some things coming soon-ish. Hopefully very soon, as this is essentially a game breaking bug, and not everyone can get to the workshop for different taxiways.....

• 1Like
Reactions:
We are aware of this and currently investing it further. I don't have any more to share at this point, but will keep you up to date on this.
Would the Devs have taken some considerations for the aircraft queuing on taxiways and blocking those up too, causing tourist and resource loss? (A suggestion would be, since aircraft can stack up on taxiways, they should be able to stack up and unload in gates too).

• 1Like
Reactions:
The good news is CO is aware of the issue. The problem though the new patch can affect other things again and we'll start that cycle all over again.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The good news is CO is aware of the issue. The problem though the new patch can affect other things again and we'll start that cycle all over again.
Well, that's to be expected with software I imagine. But if this can at least knock out a large bug and not introduce any more big bugs it'll be a win!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes, it potentially could..... but in most cases (and we have seen this in the past) a "fix" type patch that does not introduce new elements to the game should not break any mods. If they are planning to add a few new features as well that just didn't make it into the Airports DLC release patch, some mods may indeed need to be updated again. I am sure CO is very aware of these things.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes, it potentially could..... but in most cases (and we have seen this in the past) a "fix" type patch that does not introduce new elements to the game should not break any mods. If they are planning to add a few new features as well that just didn't make it into the Airports DLC release patch, some mods may indeed need to be updated again. I am sure CO is very aware of these things.

You've got that backwards. It's not CO's responsibility to make the latest patch compatible with mods, it's the mods that should be compatible with the latest patch.

Reactions: