• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Another fantastic update with the usual high standards of quality. And as always, a well-balanced diet of thrills, chills...

It is midnight in Ankara. In a bordello (actually an Interior Ministry owned and operated ‘honey trap’), not far from the city centre, a man presenting himself as a small trader from Haytay is enjoying some horizontal refreshment. But, as he approaches the culmination of his pleasures, the door bursts open. The room is soon filled with a detachment of Kaya’s Secret Policemen. The deflated man – in fact, a Vichy French spy from Syria – is apprehended without a fight, his coitus well and truly interrupted.

...and inexplicable groaners? o_O :p

Air Report. The Hungarians took over air strike duties in Ada from the Italians that day and had just a CAS wing available. Three raids only caused a total of 95 casualties.

Almost always good news to see the enemy switching from the highly-effective TACs to the more specialized, less-deadly CAS wings, which are really only effective against tanks and occasionally warships.

OTL Event: London, UK. The British attempted to keep the Nazis guessing as to what Rudolf Hess had told them by having Ernest Bevin say in the government's first official statement on the matter: "I do not believe that Hitler did not know that Hess was coming to England. From my point of view Hess is a murderer. He is no man I would ever negotiate with and I don't change even for diplomatic reasons. I am not going to be deceived."

While not precipitated in TTL, I see no reason for the British to refrain from making just this quote anyways, seeing as how Hess certainly deserves about as much in any timeline! :confused:

Oh well. I guess we could still potentially keep what we already have there and maybe keep romania as a puppet. But honestly I think the brtish and russians are going to divide up europe after the war (probbaly), not us. We should probably focus on the middle east and Africa and take what we can get from the rest.

I'd be far more optimistic about our chances to keep our European gains. At the least, once the Axis is falling and fully in retreat, we should have no difficulty in restoring the full territory of the UGNR by retaking the Balkans, and I'll venture to say that while the Soviets may have us beat in numbers, we have the terrain, the superior quality of men, and of course the legendary and experienced generals who should be more than a match for their Soviet counterparts whose only skills appear to be losing battles and retreating - although perhaps they shouldn't hear this from us anytime soon! :eek:

Anyways, I doubt that the Soviets, after a long, costly war, will want to start another such war with their former allies, of all people, over land so far from home. If Stalin were stupid enough to try such a thing, popular support would be so much against him that I'd imagine even his closest advisors would soon plot his demise. Turkey, on the other hand, while weary of war would certainly not suffer so much dissent from being forced into a defense of the homeland against such a violent aggressor. I think the end of this war will work out in our favor, all things considered - so long as it is the Germans who are surrendering, not us! :mad:

Reactions:
I'd be far more optimistic about our chances to keep our European gains. At the least, once the Axis is falling and fully in retreat, we should have no difficulty in restoring the full territory of the UGNR by retaking the Balkans,

and I'll venture to say that while the Soviets may have us beat in numbers, we have the terrain, the superior quality of men, and of course the legendary and experienced generals who should be more than a match for their Soviet counterparts whose only skills appear to be losing battles and retreating - although perhaps they shouldn't hear this from us anytime soon! :eek:

Oh no, I did not mean to imply we'd lose the Balkans (who the hell else would want them?) but I think the Russians would probably build some satellite republics as in OTL rather than give their ally even more land, possibly even over concerns for their ally's stability. I mean, after the war, no matter what, we will almost certainly be taking over full time management of the Balkans and the middle east (the most chaotic and war-ready places in the world outside of China) and have to deal with not just that but also power Imperial neighbours, the US and whatever huge colonial nations manage to break free (basically India).

My predictions for Turkey (dream list and then what I'd bear minimum expect no matter what bar total defeat):

• A powerful Turkish republic centred on Anatolia, Greece and Bulgaria whatever happens.
  • the entire Balkans, possibly with Romania as a vassal puppet and possibly without (because Soviets might turn them into a USSR state)
  • the entire Middle East in a mixture of dominions, annexations and paper thin puppet governments/foreign companies to keep the peace
  • As many Mediterranean islands as we can grab. I expect the Allies will take what they want, and then give everything else over to us rather than give Russia naval bases in 'their' sea
  • As much of North Africa as we can get. If the US ends up heading the Allies, this will probably be very little (except possibly vassalage Egypt at some point) whereas I think the British would probably be fine with us taking Libya and Algeria in exchange for doing nothing about Egypt or Suez
  • Italy as a puppet vassal/ 'special relationship' space where we basically have the best deals and can call the shots when we want to
  • Hungary either annexed in or a very tightly controlled puppet state (possibly a dream list but I think Russia will either take both, neither or give us one to make up for the other)
  • A Mediterranean fleet capable of patrolling its full length and properly defending our interests there.
I think most of these I can reasonably see happening so long as we are part of the winning team and don't get crushed and pushed completely out of Europe. Some of these depend on who is in power in the Allies (and the Kremlin) when the war ends though.

Reactions:
Well I expect ghe author was fairly relieved. Before thst point, he'd been having an increasingly difficult time trting to keep a strsight hold on Turkey since the fandom kept insisting on more and more increasingly rodouclous and insane plans that still somehow managed to net increasingly more rewards for less effort. This culminated in us taking literally everything in the balkans and thumbing our noses at both the communists and nazis before removing our entire armed forces from europe to piss off the british in persia as well. And we completly got away with it. How the hell did we we do the first half od this AAR again? Newcomer readers might not grasp this point fully but turkey early game was pretty much everyone wondering when we were going to be obliterated by everyone for trying to take anything past bulgaria.
Ah, those were the days! I think the tough but successful Greek campaign was the turning point.
Hmm...and several people had such high hopes for the european segment of what was to be the new turkish empire....
Oh well. I guess we could still potentially keep what we already have there and maybe keep romania as a puppet. But honestly I think the brtish and russians are going to divide up europe after the war (probbaly), not us. We should probably focus on the middle east and Africa and take what we can get from the rest.
More on this below.
Me personally, i quite liked the first part where turkey worked up the courage to do stuff, the second part where they ran rampant for a year, and then the reality ensues part where they try to do the best they can to stay alive and make other powerful countries want to keep them alive.

Edit: Since Hess is still deputy, I assume the brits are going to go ahead with their mystical bullshit operation to get the nazis to do something stupid? Kelebek could help with that come to think...
The first parts were the entrees (Books One and Two) where we supped on many small portions of varied regional cuisines; we are now into the main course (Books Three and Four - the Great Liberation War) where the fare is stodgier and harder to consume, but in great supply: bratwurst, goulash, pasta etc; we hope to make it to the dessert course - baklava in Berlin - but that we take some doing yet.

As for Hess? We'll see what the game serves up. The thing with the Nazis is that one brutal buffoon or dangerous psychopath is inevitably replaced by another - often even worse than the predecessor. :( Maybe as it approaches the End of the War, Kelebek's attentions will turn to the Reich. But for now, he (like Turkey) has a more regional/second string focus for his efforts: Italy - or will it be Vichy France? Hmmm ....
Come ooon this is really a cliffhanger here for all the threads running! :)
Ah, there's always another event in this game/AAR anyway.;) In this case, I had planned to see it through to the end of the 16th (where some but not necessarily all questions will be answered, or new ones asked) but it would have just been too long, and I wouldn't have had the room (text or pictures) for Cennet's travels and the culmination of the two battles, plus all the theatre summaries. :)
I still believe the Axis is on the edge maybe more than us and can collapse if things go a little south for them. We'll defend well, and wait for them to spend themselves grinding against us. Then, it will be our time.
That is the hope, but I'm genuinely unsure, even with all the game info at my fingertips, which way this will go. I thought France should have survived (if only just) when we intervened; and then thought our forward defence in the Balkans might be swamped once the panzers came east after France's fall. The game surprised me a little on both occasions. I'm really interested to see how it all turns out.
Another fantastic update with the usual high standards of quality. And as always, a well-balanced diet of thrills, chills...
My thanks, Dr Slorepee. :)
...and inexplicable groaners? o_O :p
:D
Almost always good news to see the enemy switching from the highly-effective TACs to the more specialized, less-deadly CAS wings, which are really only effective against tanks and occasionally warships.
Yes, glad they're not using them on 1 Cav or 1 Mot. These guys have appeared briefly before - but unfortunately they seem to be taking it in turns. As far as I've been able to determine, for some now the active Axis air component in the Turkish sector is a block of five Hungarian INT, one Hungarian CAS and two groups of two TAC - one Hungarian and one Italian.
While not precipitated in TTL, I see no reason for the British to refrain from making just this quote anyways, seeing as how Hess certainly deserves about as much in any timeline! :confused:
Indeed. We're glad they see him in the same light as we do!
I'd be far more optimistic about our chances to keep our European gains. At the least, once the Axis is falling and fully in retreat, we should have no difficulty in restoring the full territory of the UGNR by retaking the Balkans, and I'll venture to say that while the Soviets may have us beat in numbers, we have the terrain, the superior quality of men, and of course the legendary and experienced generals who should be more than a match for their Soviet counterparts whose only skills appear to be losing battles and retreating - although perhaps they shouldn't hear this from us anytime soon! :eek:

Anyways, I doubt that the Soviets, after a long, costly war, will want to start another such war with their former allies, of all people, over land so far from home. If Stalin were stupid enough to try such a thing, popular support would be so much against him that I'd imagine even his closest advisors would soon plot his demise. Turkey, on the other hand, while weary of war would certainly not suffer so much dissent from being forced into a defense of the homeland against such a violent aggressor. I think the end of this war will work out in our favor, all things considered - so long as it is the Germans who are surrendering, not us! :mad:
Agree. Once we reach the end point here (whenever and wherever that may be) all will be free to speculate on what may happen in the future world that emerges. But I will only be taking the story forward to the end game (and the attempt to secure 12/15 Comintern victory objectives with the largest Turkish share of VPs I can manage). So we'll be safe from any Soviet perfidy via the game mechanics. ;) As for whether war may come between the Comintern and the Allies after the Axis is defeated (presuming it is) ... well, that will depend on whether they stand in the way of our 12 objectives and/or whether the game has timed out (1948) by then. :)
Oh no, I did not mean to imply we'd lose the Balkans (who the hell else would want them?) but I think the Russians would probably build some satellite republics as in OTL rather than give their ally even more land, possibly even over concerns for their ally's stability. I mean, after the war, no matter what, we will almost certainly be taking over full time management of the Balkans and the middle east (the most chaotic and war-ready places in the world outside of China) and have to deal with not just that but also power Imperial neighbours, the US and whatever huge colonial nations manage to break free (basically India).

My predictions for Turkey (dream list and then what I'd bear minimum expect no matter what bar total defeat):
  • A powerful Turkish republic centred on Anatolia, Greece and Bulgaria whatever happens.
  • the entire Balkans, possibly with Romania as a vassal puppet and possibly without (because Soviets might turn them into a USSR state)
  • the entire Middle East in a mixture of dominions, annexations and paper thin puppet governments/foreign companies to keep the peace
  • As many Mediterranean islands as we can grab. I expect the Allies will take what they want, and then give everything else over to us rather than give Russia naval bases in 'their' sea
  • As much of North Africa as we can get. If the US ends up heading the Allies, this will probably be very little (except possibly vassalage Egypt at some point) whereas I think the British would probably be fine with us taking Libya and Algeria in exchange for doing nothing about Egypt or Suez
  • Italy as a puppet vassal/ 'special relationship' space where we basically have the best deals and can call the shots when we want to
  • Hungary either annexed in or a very tightly controlled puppet state (possibly a dream list but I think Russia will either take both, neither or give us one to make up for the other)
  • A Mediterranean fleet capable of patrolling its full length and properly defending our interests there.
I think most of these I can reasonably see happening so long as we are part of the winning team and don't get crushed and pushed completely out of Europe. Some of these depend on who is in power in the Allies (and the Kremlin) when the war ends though.
Excellent analysis here, The Kelebek Kompositor (who I'll distinguish from Darth Kelebek as being an activist/state tolerated commentator). We'll see whether the UGNR can live up to the more optimistic expectations outlined here. Hungary, if we (rather than the Soviets) were able to grab it would become a puppet/satellite like Romania. Italy too if we could swing it. Bigger or more distant targets (Germany, France, Spain) would have to be likely left to our senior partner.

In any case, your work (above, and a long history of learned and sometimes provoking contributions) has been brought to the attention of the board of the Ataturk Institute. Others may also be recognised in the future, but in grateful recognition ...

AgG3pB.jpg

Reactions:
In any case, your work (above, and a long history of learned and sometimes provoking contributions) has been brought to the attention of the board of the Ataturk Institute. Others may also be recognised in the future, but in grateful recognition ...

Nice. I'll take that.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Nice. I'll take that.

We ought to have a class ring or some other memorabilia to show off to the grandkids in 40 or 50 years, once all this "war" nonsense has died down, Turkey rules the world, and us old war hawks crying for bloodshed no longer have a place in society. :p

Reactions:
We ought to have a class ring or some other memorabilia to show off to the grandkids in 40 or 50 years, once all this "war" nonsense has died down, Turkey rules the world, and us old war hawks crying for bloodshed no longer have a place in society. :p
Haha, you’ll try to tell the young people of the day, and they won’t believe you!

Last edited:
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Smashing.

Turkey is aiming to be a new hegemonic empire for the modern age so the chances of war hawks going out of fashion will be slim. In fact, probably encouraged because the more stable and yet independantly strong we are, the more America and Russia will shower us with attention and gifts to keep us out of the way and safely holding down a part of the world they both dont want to deal with but also really dont want the other side to have.

Reactions:
And with most of the world’s oil we’ll be happy to sell. If that doesn’t fuel (hehe) a post-war boom, what would?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Perhaps? Maybe? Who knows?

Out of curiosity, I went to check how Turkey falls on the meta game for HOI series. Apparently it has a long history of being surprisingly good and Minor OP, until HOI4 where it goes into absolute overdrive and can form the neo ottoman empire which is...broken.

Reactions:
Reactions:
How does one do that?

One may ask Jeeves or Mr Google.

Alternatively there are, y'know, other pages on this forum other than AARs;)

Or for some reason (non AAR) youtube HOI4 is currently lots of which minor is the most OP instead of usual timelapses and AI only battles.

The most enteryaining was perhaps turkey buidling nothing but paratroopers and watching Gdeece's AI melt as every province was occupied by a single unit each. Oh and greece has no airport in HOI4 start apparently.

Reactions:
One may ask Jeeves or Mr Google.

Alternatively there are, y'know, other pages on this forum other than AARs;)

Or for some reason (non AAR) youtube HOI4 is currently lots of which minor is the most OP instead of usual timelapses and AI only battles.

The most enteryaining was perhaps turkey buidling nothing but paratroopers and watching Gdeece's AI melt as every province was occupied by a single unit each. Oh and greece has no airport in HOI4 start apparently.
These kinds of titbits are the things that keep me from bothering with HOI4. ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Chapter 130: Holding On (16 May 1941)
Chapter 130: Holding On (16 May 1941)

16 May sees events hot up at the front and in Cagliari. We also get a mid-month review of active theatres around the world. This episode will bring us up to the minute in gameplay.

---xxx---

The Yeniçeri Line - Morning

The Battle for Ada shows no sign of slackening. After two full days of combat now, the Axis attack continues – and Italian TAC bombers have returned, as well, replacing the Hungarian CAS wing: more pain can be expected now. Early in the morning, the decision is taken to move the fresh (but new and leaderless) 4 Inf Div towards Ada. The battle may be over by the time they can arrive, but if Ada is held, the troops there will be badly worn out and the weakest (if they haven’t already been forced to retreat by then) can be rotated back south to Ruma for recovery.

FuiqVU.jpg

A small excess of IC has accrued – enough to justify a new purchase. The long-sought after combat engineer capacity is sought under license from the Soviets – who are (as always) happy to oblige. For a healthy amount of lira. Licenses for two brigades are purchased, to make the most of the expenditure of diplomatic effort. They will be built serially: if it works out well, more will be ordered (their production is relatively cheap). They might make useful additions to standard divisions once doctrine has developed enough to enable five-brigade divisions. A couple of brigades of SP Arty would be ideal to boost 1 Cav and 1 Mot Divs, but that capability is not yet available from the Soviets.

nrHSfN.jpg

In Ada, MAJGEN Eldelhun is in his command bunker, assessing the situation. An orderly dashes up, bearing the transcript of a radio message from one of his heavily engaged 12 Inf Div battalions:

“The Hungarians have broken: their 7th Division is falling back north towards Senta in disarray. Vur ha!”

Vur ha indeed, thinks Eldelhun to himself. Some good news at last.

The panzer-grenadiers of 4th Leichte may follow next, but he worries about the German 23rd Infanterie still waiting in reserve – while his own units slowly tire. If only we can keep holding on, the arrival of reinforcements may help us hold after we win – and avoid the fate of Timisoara.

Dmeuqn.jpg

---xxx---

Cagliari – Late Morning

Cennet – who has been going by her nickname of Connie while in Cagliari – has been told to prepare for an expedition into the hills above the town. She will be going with Rupert for a clandestine meeting. They are pretending to be a couple heading off for a picnic to escape the drudgery of the war-torn town (which within the last year has seen French, Italian and British rule, including two seaborne invasions, damaging many buildings).

6MtyZj.jpg

Cennet, dressed for her ‘picnic’ – the very picture of youthful innocence.

lVSYV4.jpg

British MI6 Agent ‘Rupert’. Real name unknown: any resemblance to British actor Leslie Howard is purely coincidental! ;)

They depart on a smart Italian motorcycle, heading ten kilometres north-east to the village of Settimo San Pietro. There, they find their way to the S'acqua 'e is dolus, where they are to meet their mysterious contact. On the way there, ‘Rupert’ briefs ‘Connie’ on the scant information they have about this contact.

AKfc5L.jpg

A Moto Guzzi Airone 250 – 1939, of the type used by Connie and Rupert.

Ax15x0.jpg

The picturesque Church of San Pietro.

“I’ve been told this person made contact with British intelligence officers in Cagliari after we invaded. He left an anonymous note – in Italian – to the effect that he wished to arrange refuge but would only do so with a few trusted people. Mentioned by name. All of them Turkish: one of those people mentioned was you - Cennet ‘Connie’ Kavgaci, former ward of President Inönü of Turkey! Yes, since arriving I have been briefed into your true identity. Or at least, as much as MI6 knows. Or can guess at. We are to be working together, so I have been instructed to be reasonably open with you. Need to know principle notwithstanding. And my first name actually is Rupert.”

After covering a small start of surprise, Cennet replies casually to ‘Rupert’ (she still doubts it is his real name – not that it matters for now). “I’m intrigued. A simple, innocent girl such as myself – caught up in these exciting events. Whoever could have imagined it!?”

It is Rupert’s turn to cover sceptical disbelief with a wry smile. “Ah, I imagine you will cope just fine, my dear Connie.”

“Please tell me more about the nature of our contact.”

“You have almost all of it. Whoever it is – unless we are being subjected to some disinformation ploy by the Italians – has been very careful to keep his identity secret. Our reply to his overture had to be posted as a notice in the local paper. He then sent another message, instructing us to place a second personal notice when the promised trusted contact had arrived. We did that in yesterday’s paper.”

“And?”

“Early this morning, we received a message with the directions to meet here. Very particular, they were. Just two of us, no weapons, no ‘tail’. He assured us he would know if his instructions were not obeyed to the letter, in which case we would never hear from him again. Our people believe it is a well placed Italian who wishes to either turn traitor and work for us inside their Government apparatus or simply seek refuge and spill whatever information he may have in return for safety.”

“I can see why your Government would be so interested, with this attack on Sardinia, the siege of Malta and the war in Libya, not to mention the naval campaign in the Med. We, of course, are also very interested in Italy. At least, that’s what I read in the ladies’ magazines.”

Cennet winks playfully: it is clear Rupert would not believe she was anything but an agent of the Turkish government. Though he may suspect she worked for the S.I.T.H., surely he couldn’t know that. Unless … ‘the Thorn’! Perhaps he knew more than she first thought!

“Yes Connie, we are quite aware – in the broad – of the adventures Turkey has had with our mutual enemies over the last few years, even before the war began. And of course now, fighting them in the Balkans. We think this contact wanted a Turkish buy-in for ‘insurance’ – and perhaps to play one of us off against the other. But that is simply speculation. I hope we will soon find out. As to how he knew to ask for you, the late ‘Sonny’ Ceylan - my condolences - or some mysterious agent called ‘Mr Kelebek’, we are in the dark.”

“I too am mystified, Rupert. I hope we will soon find out.”

Their conversation ends as they finish their walk to the nominated – and very secluded – rendezvous point. It is an ancient Neolithic excavation in the side of a rocky outcrop. All they can do now is wait. A quick inspection shows a few subtle signs of recent occupation, but most evidence has been carefully removed or smoothed over.

EjYJWN.jpg

The Domus de Janas of S'Acqua 'e Is Dolus near Settimo San Pietro.

After a while, they break out their small picnic lunch and wait as nonchalantly as they can, soaking in the spring sunshine and ancient setting. After some time, a whistle is heard from a nearby clump of trees and bushes. They both look towards it but can see no-one.

“I had to make sure!” The voice is Italian, but comes in a hoarse, guttural, croaking whisper. Cennet does not recognise it at all.

“You, Englishman, take that napkin, make a blindfold, walk away 100 metres, face the other way and put it on. If I see you look this way, you’re a dead man.”

Rupert, cool as a cucumber, does as instructed, without saying a word.

“Young lady, into the Domus de Janas. I will meet you in there.”

Cennet, with curiosity just outweighing trepidation, also does as instructed. She is intensely interested to see where this leads. Could this be the big break into the Italian Government or intelligence service they have been looking for? She will soon find out …

At first, in the darkness of the cave and silhouetted against the light, Cennet thinks she spots a familiar outline but is not sure … no, it couldn’t be, could it?

tXX0cj.jpg

But yes, it is. “LUCA!” she cries out. “We all thought you were dead!”

Ry1ljj.jpg

Luca Brasi – back from the dead! Not feeding the fishes after all.

“Cennet,” Luca croaks out, barely able to speak. “I have held out here for months. It is good to see you again.”

“But what happened? With the Tattaglias? We got the message that you 'slept with the fishes'.”

Of all the surprises Cennet had tried to anticipate, this had not figured. It was wonderful to see the old warhorse again, but he seemed somehow shrunken, older, less robust than he had. And his voice.

“I will tell you but it is hard for me. You know I never liked talkin’ much.” He pauses to take a sip from a waterskin he has brought with him. “But it’s even harder now after that putana Bruno Tattaglia nearly strangled me to death, may God curse him to hell.”

“Well, you have much news to catch up on Luca. Bruno is dead – at the hands of Kelebek, sent by Sonny to avenge your death!”

“Ah, good news. He rots in hell. And how is Sonny?”

“Also dead. Payback.”

“No! Don Vito will have his revenge, I am sure. I look forward to seeing him again.”

“Dead also. His other son, Mike, is now Ambassador. It was he who sent me, though he didn’t know who I would be meeting.”

Cennet allows a few moments for Luca’s grief but must push on.

“My British MI6 ‘minder’ will be getting impatient and the only way out of here is through them. Quickly, tell me the basics of what happened.”

“That afternoon, 14 July last year, the bar in Cagliari. Bruno didn’t believe I would rat on the old man, but he wasn’t sure. They pinned my hand to the bar with a knife.” He shows Cennet a livid scar.

“And brought out the garotte – I was choked until I blacked out, but not killed. They wanted to interrogate me more.”

uYsPBP.jpg

Luca Brasi – that night in Cagliari.

“My voice – it was destroyed. They took all my stuff. Kept me there for four days. I woulda’ been sleepin’ wid'da fishes if the French hadn’t invaded. Bruno had left by then. The Tattaglia hideout was bombed when they attacked. My lucky break. All the guards were killed or ran off and I was buried in the ruins. They woulda’ been certain I’d croaked.”

But Luca Brasi is a hard man to keep down. He’d struggled out of the wreckage, then been apprehended by the French and, without papers, held on suspicion of being an Italian criminal! Keeping his mouth shut and using a false name, he had slowly recovered in a French jail. When the French had surrendered to the Italians, Luca had been released with all the other prisoners as a last act of spite before handing Cagliari back to the fascists.

Ever since then, Luca had been living in the hills. The British invasion had given him a chance to make his way back home, but he’d had to be careful. He didn’t trust the British much more than he did the French or Italians – who would have quickly killed him if they knew who he was.

“That’s some story, Luca. But now, we have to try to get you out without arousing too much British suspicion.”

“That’s all I want, Cennet. I don’t think I can play the game any more and, with the Old Man dead, my heart isn’t in it. I just wanna grow tomatoes and olives in some little Anatolian village somewhere.”

“Sure – let’s think of some cover story, quickly, as I’ll have to bring this ‘Rupert’ from MI6 in soon.”

They put their heads together to see what they can come up with …

---xxx---

The Yeniçeri Line - Evening

The news from Ada is mixed: during heavy fighting that day, 4 Liechte has also withdrawn from the battle. But the two withdrawn Axis divisions have been replaced by the German 23rd Division – though they are not fresh either. And Hungarian TAC is now pounding the defenders. 7 Pz Division remains engaged, but they are having little impact attacking across the river from Srbobran.

Ls8EVH.jpg

The news looks better in Faget though, where the SS-Verf are on their last legs. The Soviet 41 SD remains in the fight – a very welcome addition.

oUD9v2.jpg

An hour later, there is excellent news: a great victory in Faget, with heavy enemy casualties among the hated SS fanatics! Huzzah! But at the same time, Orbay reports scouts have seen a large column of enemy troops headed east from Timisoara, straight for the tired defenders. Oh no – the rotten fascist bastards!

N2JnJ6.jpg

Sure enough, by 7pm, three fresh Axis divisions, including medium panzers from 11 Pz Division supported by two Axis infantry divisions, renew the assault on Faget. That is just cruel. This time the Comintern's luck may run out – but not before a tough fight.

waYn63.jpg

At 10pm the fight still rages, but the odds are now looking bad for the harried Comintern defenders. A later painting of the battle catches the desperation of these last few days in Faget – where they are still just holding on.

84uJbM.jpg

Air Report. Three raids that day by a combination of Italian and Hungarian TAC kill 490 defenders in Ada.

---xxx---

Theatre Summaries

By the end of the day, the Patriotic Front is showing the most strain in the north, the centre and in Romania – but the south holds well for now.

In all maps, the dotted line is the front as at 1 May, dotted arrows are advances made since 7 May.

Hjl8kZ.jpg

North of the Pripet Marshes, the Soviets appear to be solidifying their line, as hoped, along the river line in front of Riga. The main incursion in the last nine days has been north of Minsk, led by German medium and heavy armour. A slower infantry advance on the northern edge of the Pripet Marshes is beginning to place Minsk in a salient.

69jMpt.jpg

The Axis have made some small progress to the South of the Pripet Marshes, but the Soviet response there looks quite strong. Elsewhere in this sector the Axis have not made any real progress since the beginning of May.

N7s87G.jpg

The story in Romania is more familiar. At both the western and north-eastern ends of the line, the Axis have continued to make some progress, though it has not yet been rapid and has been fiercely contested.

yRDCS3.jpg

In Libya, the Italians have reportedly taken Agedabia, south of Bengasi, but the strategic port itself has not yet been seized.

4Z9ZWv.jpg

In Sardinia, where Cennet is making her visit, the British have not moved out of their beachhead in Cagliari and its surrounding province.

b6NoE4.jpg

In the Far East, the effect of Mongolia’s earlier surrender can be seen. Since its seizure, the Soviets have taken (or reasserted control) over one of its provinces. But elsewhere, to the east, the Japanese and their puppet allies continue to slowly advance.

JwyHi2.jpg

The Soviets have provided a map of rail infrastructure in the Far East sector, showing where the Trans-Siberian Railway has been cut by the Japanese advance.

oe0O8O.jpg

They have also provided a map indicating known Japanese communication lines, including pre-war maps of the now-occupied sections of the Trans-Siberian Railway, all the way to Vladivostok. The Soviets hope that the Japanese supply situation will worsen the further they advance from it. But for now, without that eastern part of the railway network, Soviet supply there will be even worse.

TrstQg.jpg

---xxx---

So, the Luca Brasi reappearance has been planned from even before he was taken in Cagliari. I have had a few later pictures of Lenny Montana (the actor who portrayed him in The Godfather) since before that time and was determined to use them at some point. I was just looking for a good time to put him back into the frame: the British invasion provided it. Long-time readers will be aware that, while I borrow story arcs and dialogue from the various Godfather movies (among others), I vary the story, cut backwards and forwards between them depending on the story I’m telling, and sometimes depart from them entirely (as in Cennet’s clandestine trip here).

There was never a body, just his bullet-proof vest (which Bruno had taken with him as a souvenir). The Tattaglias assumed he
was dead and wanted to put one over on the Ceylans. Little did Bruno anticipate that this hubris on his part would lead to his own death. Which then led to Sonny’s. All the while, Luca was laying low in Sardinia under the French, then the Italians, breaking cover carefully when the British fortuitously invaded. How will Luca feature in the story from here? Well, I have some ideas, but even I’m not sure yet. He’ll let me know when he’s ready!

Coming Up: Can the Turks continue to hold on in Ada, Faget and the rest of the Yeniçeri Line? And the Romanians in their country and the Soviets on both the Patriotic Front and the Far East? What will the peak of the summer campaigning season bring in Europe – a German breakout and the collapse of the Balkan sector? Or more grinding warfare? And Luca has held on for so long now – can he do so a little longer and make it back to friendly soil? Or might the British sniff a rat and intervene first, in a ‘friendly gesture to ensure he is fully recovered before being repatriated’, at the risk of a diplomatic furore?

Last edited:
  • 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
A couple of brigades of SP Arty would be ideal to boost 1 Cav and 1 Mot Divs, but that capability is not yet available from the Soviets.
any word of rocket artilleries? (or even better, SP rocket artilleries?)

107 is too much to ask from a comrade ally, I'd say. Skitalec, can you have a word with STAVKA about this? :D

Vur ha indeed, thinks Eldelhun to himself. Some good news at last.
Good news, but their hard units just have too much staying power. I hope those TDs and HArm get produced soon enough.

Sure enough, by 7pm, three fresh Axis divisions, including medium panzers from 11 Pz Division supported by two Axis infantry divisions, renew the assault on Faget. That is just cruel. This time the Comintern's luck may run out – but not before a tough fight.
Bastards!

WHAAAAAT? :D

Except for Luca reappearing, not many good news in this episode. Too many HQs and not enough divisions :/ May the axis swine rot in hell!

TEMEŞVAR'I HATIRLA!

• 1Like
Reactions:
These kinds of titbits are the things that keep me from bothering with HOI4. ;)

But I will, at some point, maybe if just to see how 'easy' copying this campaign would be as that Turkey.

The long-sought after combat engineer capacity is sought under license from the Soviets – who are (as always) happy to oblige.

lol

As to how he knew to ask for you, the late ‘Sonny’ Ceylan - my condolences - or some mysterious agent called ‘Mr Kelebek’, we are in the dark.”

Hmm, brave words from the mysterious informant. In fact, only one person in this AAR has ever gotten away with calling me Mister...

I didn't. Called this after the invasion of Caligari and assumed either he'd gotten out on his own or I'd gone in to rescue him in all the confusion. Good to see him though, and I wonder what he's got on the Italians...that isn't outdated of course.
Bruno is dead – at the hands of Kelebek, sent by Sonny to avenge your death!”

A particularly nasty murder too. One of the first times I had the character actually kill someone instead of teleporting them to Tahiti.

He rots in hell.

In a many of speaking, yes. My place has better branding.

Old man dead, my heart isn’t in it.

You want heart? Can easy get you new heart from South Africa or Iraq?

In Sardinia, where Cennet is making her visit, the British have not moved out of their beachhead in Cagliari and its surrounding province.

Hmm, are they broken or are there Italian troops stuck there that they want to keep an eye on?

I guess if we don't care about Luca we can broadcast the fact that the Italians failed to kill him on their own turf which would be even more embarrassing for them considering all the crap GB is currently throwing at them. Maybe it would be best to have him quietly retire for a bit then bring him out for one last mission later on, probably to take out German high command or something.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The war isn't really going in our favour is it...

It seems that the Far East will only stabilise once the Japs run out of supplies, which, no thanks to the Trans-Siberian railroad, has taken longer than expected... (thanks to @nuclearslurpee for pointing that out)

I'm glad the river line south of Riga is holding, but the hun is still closing in on Minsk, which isn't great news...

With Ada and Faget ever more fragile, the Romanian front is looking more and more precarious...

Let's hope we can continue to buy time to strengthen the Red Army and to allow the British to push back in Northern Africa.

The return of Luca Brasi was unexpected, and the banter between Cennet and 'Rupert' quite fun. Those who know in the GRU are glad to see him return, and to see Turkish intelligence operations being stepped up again, hopefully.

SkitalecS3

• 1Like
Reactions:
The war isn't really going in our favour is it...

It seems that the Far East will only stabilise once the Japs run out of supplies, which, no thanks to the Trans-Siberian railroad, has taken longer than expected... (thanks to @nuclearslurpee for pointing that out)

I'm glad the river line south of Riga is holding, but the hun is still closing in on Minsk, which isn't great news...

With Ada and Faget ever more fragile, the Romanian front is looking more and more precarious...

Let's hope we can continue to buy time to strengthen the Red Army and to allow the British to push back in Northern Africa.

The return of Luca Brasi was unexpected, and the banter between Cennet and 'Rupert' quite fun. Those who know in the GRU are glad to see him return, and to see Turkish intelligence operations being stepped up again, hopefully.

SkitalecS3

The worst thing I can see is that the Germans have made it through the tricky bits of the northern fronts and have broken throw to some long bits of flat land that als extend to the southern front flanks. Basically if they push any further into the northernmost front, they can hold there whilst they pour troops into the centre to fight in the south. And of course if they don't do that and smash through Riga they can make it to the Finnish border and get them to join in, and flank the whole front the hard way by pushing down from above.

I think it is a matter of time before Romania is compromised now, since either they can force their way through the front or flank them from the north through the southern front. Since we are in no position to run interference or distract anyone, I suppose the Axis will have Romania at death's door within a few months unless the soviets hold out extremely well on their own fronts. Even then, the actual Romanian front isn't very secure either so either way we have a year or less until the Axis have us pinned down in Greece and Istanbul. Hopefully then they'll leave a holding force there and go after Russia but who knows at this point?

The only thing that could really stop that now, given Russia is being taxed to its limits by the Axis as a whole, is GB doing something spectacular like destroying Italy in Africa and then invading their weakened homeland.

Reactions:
Where is the US? Where is the US? Where is the US? :mad:

• 1Haha
Reactions:
Where is the US? Where is the US? Where is the US? :mad:

You tell us... their AI isn't exactly the best, to be quite honest.

• 1Like
Reactions:
You tell us... their AI isn't exactly the best, to be quite honest.

I went to the internet and typed in American May 1941 to see what the US was up to and got this image among others -

k4N2CBS.jpg
So according to the internet the United States was having the American Civil War. I think my internet is broken.

• 1Haha
Reactions: