• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It’s fine, will do a bit of happy-snapping, perhaps in a separate ‘technical bulletin’ so as not to unbalance a chapter. But working on Blut & Schlacht at the moment. :)

Ps: if you can get the game cheap as a package, you should. An oldie but a goodie. And you won’t have to keep paying for new DLC. :p

I will definitely give this one a go, and as you said this would probably be cheap. At the moment i'm either too lazy to do that or when I have the time I try to progress the Trek Wars :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Reactions:
So what planes do we have, how good are they in comparison to the enemy (how many do they have and how good) and what is the chance of us either getting better planes soon or help from allies (and what planes/quality do they have)?

Whilst I understand infantry and cav got us the empire in the first place and we were right to focus on them up to this point, now we are committing to solid defence plans we really, really need an effective air screen and fighter support at the very least. Since we're on the topic of defence, what ships have we got available just in case (unlikely) the axis decide to burn the rest of what they have in the Adriatic by throwing them at us for a bit before the British come and flatten them?

We might need a mini cabinet meeting about this actually because it involves the defence of the realm, potentially changing our industry and production plans as well as our doctrines (i.e. we need to focus more on the air for the first time etc).

• 1Like
Reactions:
So what planes do we have, how good are they in comparison to the enemy (how many do they have and how good) and what is the chance of us either getting better planes soon or help from allies (and what planes/quality do they have)?

Whilst I understand infantry and cav got us the empire in the first place and we were right to focus on them up to this point, now we are committing to solid defence plans we really, really need an effective air screen and fighter support at the very least. Since we're on the topic of defence, what ships have we got available just in case (unlikely) the axis decide to burn the rest of what they have in the Adriatic by throwing them at us for a bit before the British come and flatten them?

We might need a mini cabinet meeting about this actually because it involves the defence of the realm, potentially changing our industry and production plans as well as our doctrines (i.e. we need to focus more on the air for the first time etc).
Some reasonably recent episodes (though it’s easy to forget with all the recent combat) go though the current air units in some detail, and there are four in the production pipeline (more modern Soviet aircraft - three fighter wings and one TAC wing - see that production screen I put up for @diskoerekto a few posts back). Probably about half of all Turkish production at present. They just take time to build and are very expensive. Right nowhere have one very obsolete and one second-rate fighter wing.

Reactions:

Bu mid June we’ll have another fighter wing and by November 2 multi role wings. With the less bad fighter, it can be a decent 4 stack to at least contest the skies without risking annihilation.

I think, a shortage of generals and in general manpower means we can’t have much more divisions. We can move on to 5 bde divs to save some generals, but I think our production line will be either producing high ic stuff like armor or airplanes, or upgrading existing units (ie Cav to LArm or whatever).

With regards to navy, I was thinking about it during my bike ride from work to home. I concluded that whatever we can build would be either inferior or too late to affect anything. We’re behind in a lot of techs and adding naval doctrine etc to the mix would be difficult.

I think a navy can be a project for when there’s a 3rd ww. For the theaters of operation that we have now, Tac bombers on naval missions, or if more naval power is needed dedicated naval bombers would be enough.

Of course this doesn’t mean that if we can buy some cheap ships that really 1st rate navies already moved away from, we should stay away. It there’s an opportunity we can take it.

Reactions:
I think a navy can be a project for when there’s a 3rd ww. For the theaters of operation that we have now, Tac bombers on naval missions, or if more naval power is needed dedicated naval bombers would be enough.

Or the next challenge for a Turkey player, since the challenge of 'can turkey be interesting and successful' has been won (hopefully we can add 'and survive' to the end as well but a last stand would be quite amazing too considering what the defence plans are). Can Turkey become a sea power within the time frame of the game and use that to either stay neutral or win big (U boats for Uruguay-like).

Reactions:
Or the next challenge for a Turkey player, since the challenge of 'can turkey be interesting and successful' has been won (hopefully we can add 'and survive' to the end as well but a last stand would be quite amazing too considering what the defence plans are). Can Turkey become a sea power within the time frame of the game and use that to either stay neutral or win big (U boats for Uruguay-like).
in this context it makes sense. Does the stats of the ships come with the doctrines of the seller as well? I think there was a similar situation in land units. A boutique and nice CA/CL fleet would suit us, or a BC can be thrown in for the glory or DD for the usefulness. But as I said, if the doctrines stats of the seller does not come with the ship it's a tough research way to go. Then we can just buy it wholesale from the united states of metric tons of IC and high technology :D

• 1Like
Reactions:
in this context it makes sense. Does the stats of the ships come with the doctrines of the seller as well? I think there was a similar situation in land units. A boutique and nice CA/CL fleet would suit us, or a BC can be thrown in for the glory or DD for the usefulness. But as I said, if the doctrines stats of the seller does not come with the ship it's a tough research way to go. Then we can just buy it wholesale from the united states of metric tons of IC and high technology :D

I doubt the US will outfit Turkey's navy since it is almost certainly destined to be the semi offical 'soviet' warm water med fleet in some capacity...although if they think they can buy us away from the communists they will certainly try.

Thinking post war, since that's the realistic time frame for a turkish fleet...well, its going to enjoy having bases pretty much all along the coast of the eastern med (hopefully all the way out to eygpt and beyond by then too!) and yet also needs some range to it, because it needs to be capable of patrolling the Persian Gulf as well. If the brits behave and go away, our biggest rivals will be whatever american forces end up in the Med and maybe france and italy (maybe). If they dont behave, we're basically going to have to tailor our forces to fight the british because eventually, one of us (or the egyptians) is going to start a war over that canal.

So basically we can skip all the war confusion and misteps and go straight to building aircraft carriers and destroyers, which is good because after this war at latest (hopefully before then) we need to respec and rebuild the air force as well.

As this game contues, i actually think that both sides (allies and soviets) are going to try and use turkey as a convient vacuk for all the 'trouble spots' in the balkans, the middle east and africa. And then treat the turks as a middle ground between the two rival camps.

Reactions:
I doubt the US will outfit Turkey's navy
How does influencing work in this game? Maybe it's time USA joined the comintern? :D

Still though, before it turns hot with the allies I'm sure USA will be happy to sell to us. They even do some L&L to us now, right? I think we have good relations.

go straight to building aircraft carriers and destroyers
How will we afford it ICwise and techwise though?

• 1Like
Reactions:
How does influencing work in this game? Maybe it's time USA joined the comintern? :D

Still though, before it turns hot with the allies I'm sure USA will be happy to sell to us. They even do some L&L to us now, right? I think we have good relations.

How will we afford it ICwise and techwise though?

Well depends how the turks play the decade after the war. Communist countries have been known to catch up to the west quite quickly in industrial capacity and tech (im some areas), at the expense of ten years or so of intense unpleaentess for their citizens. Turkey could try that (wouldn't survive the attempt but still...) or it could focus on being a middling power that the entire world benefits by existing since it controls so much of the 'troublesome spots' and puts a lot of trade under a single banner whilst also being weak enough to be unthreatening to the actual major powers (i.e. a new sickman of Europe only they are just coughing and everyone is giving them medicine and care packages).

Of course what would actually happen is probably the quick collapse of Turkish rule and the Russians and Americans sweeping in to claim the bits but presumbaly that won't happen of turkey actually survives the war..
So need to come up with some excuse/explanation as to why.

Reactions:
You pay two leadership points and that gradually exerts influence on a three cornered field between the three factions. But the US is wedged firmly as 100% Allied. Wouldn’t come close, even if I had the leadership to spare. I could only do it with Turkey itself as you can influence yourself for free.

And it’s alignment rather than relationship that determines your ability to buy licenses, so if I want ships it would have to be Soviet designs :eek:. This is more of a hypothetical discussion about what would happen post-game, I think - which I’m always happy to see and there have been a few in the history of tis AAR.

Reactions:
STAVKA is seeing the wisdom of drip-feeding more Rifle Divisions into the Turkish Army's OOB to safeguard their southern flank, and their access to the Black Sea.

BJ Guildenstern knows how to pick gifts... the black leopard pelt is a nice touch... maybe, if she keeps up the good work promoting the Red Army in Turkey and intra-Comintern cooperation, the pelt of an Amur Tiger could be a very nice addition...

The poster is very nice, though the selection of a decorated marksman posing with a high precision rifle isn't exactly representative of the bulk of the Red Army, it does imply that the Red Army is Well-trained, well-equipped and eager to fight, if only the reality reflected this flattering image... Comrade Stalin was slightly annoyed that the poster wasn't red and white, but blue and white... (So no Amur Tigers yet...)

It's great to see the Red Army and the Turkish Army now fighting side by side, egging each other on, delaying German Panzers, even holding back Italian hordes in Lipova. These bonds forged in blood will surely enhance mutual respect between the members of both armed forces, and eventually a appreciation by both peoples of their comrades in war.

On the Yeniceri line, mud flies as pic-axes and shovels are swung to create a, hopefully, impenetrable network of trenches and dug-outs that will break the Wehrmacht's back... Romania is bravely doing it's bit, though I do hope the cub doesn't become to eager and gets itself eaten by the big bad wolf...

In other news, Mongolia is facing another very close call.

The rest of the Western front looks all right, though the Red Army is still being pushed to the East, the progression is slow and without any large encirclements.

As others have noted, the South (North of Romania) looks quite a bit less sturdy than a week ago, so that could get dangerous.

The North remains somewhat worrying, but terrain makes that less alarming, for now... when Axis troops start crossing that river east of Riga, things may get risky for Leningrad. Wilno is a bad loss, though it doesn't have an Air Base nor the industrial capacity of Minsk, so if sacrificing Wilno will give Minsk more time to shore up it's defences that would be a good call.

In conclusion, German anticipation of a swift victory seem overblown as the veteran German war machine pushes back the entire front, inch by inch... 100-150km in a month is no Blitzkrieg... Rodina will prevail, especially with it's valiant Turkish Ally covering it's southern flank.

What will the war bring next, no one can say for certain, as a slew of events hang in the balance, Mongolia, Ukraine, Leningrad, Romania, all could be lost or held this summer, we can only do our best, and that also goes for the many inexperienced Red Army Commanders that were educated during it's expansion and to replaced those disappeared in the purges. If it all holds together, of the experiences of this summer, and those of the ensuing winter will emerge three hardened Armies, ready to, and capable of, pushing back the Germans, all the way to Berlin, and send the Japs scampering back to the Island chain they came from.

Skitalecs3

• 1Like
Reactions:
Very astute observations as usual by SkitalecS3. ;)
STAVKA is seeing the wisdom of drip-feeding more Rifle Divisions into the Turkish Army's OOB to safeguard their southern flank, and their access to the Black Sea.
I wish they had sent more! I could surely use them on the Yeniçeri Line right now and just to its north on the boundary with Romania - and know they would do what they've been ordered to. :oops:
BJ Guildenstern knows how to pick gifts... the black leopard pelt is a nice touch... maybe, if she keeps up the good work promoting the Red Army in Turkey and intra-Comintern cooperation, the pelt of an Amur Tiger could be a very nice addition...
She might need to cultivate the Soviet 'Cultural Attaché' for that, I guess! :D
The poster is very nice, though the selection of a decorated marksman posing with a high precision rifle isn't exactly representative of the bulk of the Red Army, it does imply that the Red Army is Well-trained, well-equipped and eager to fight, if only the reality reflected this flattering image... Comrade Stalin was slightly annoyed that the poster wasn't red and white, but blue and white... (So no Amur Tigers yet...)
That is an actual 1942 poster from the US (there was a whole series of them, with pictures of soldiers from different allies and the save 'he is your friend/fights for freedom' catchphrase on each! The only change to it I made was replacing 'Russian' with 'Soviet' - have to keep our major allies on side, after all. :p
It's great to see the Red Army and the Turkish Army now fighting side by side, egging each other on, delaying German Panzers, even holding back Italian hordes in Lipova. These bonds forged in blood will surely enhance mutual respect between the members of both armed forces, and eventually a appreciation by both peoples of their comrades in war.

On the Yeniceri line, mud flies as pic-axes and shovels are swung to create a, hopefully, impenetrable network of trenches and dug-outs that will break the Wehrmacht's back... Romania is bravely doing it's bit, though I do hope the cub doesn't become to eager and gets itself eaten by the big bad wolf...
Yes, though I wish they would stay put more often - almost every time I come under attack, they've either just left or melt away soon after it starts. :eek: You will soon see what happens next on the Yeniçeri Line and in Romania - tense but interesting times, is all I'll say for now. :rolleyes:
In other news, Mongolia is facing another very close call.
Like many things so far in this game, it goes down to the wire and is uncertain of outcome.
The rest of the Western front looks all right, though the Red Army is still being pushed to the East, the progression is slow and without any large encirclements.

As others have noted, the South (North of Romania) looks quite a bit less sturdy than a week ago, so that could get dangerous.

The North remains somewhat worrying, but terrain makes that less alarming, for now... when Axis troops start crossing that river east of Riga, things may get risky for Leningrad. Wilno is a bad loss, though it doesn't have an Air Base nor the industrial capacity of Minsk, so if sacrificing Wilno will give Minsk more time to shore up it's defences that would be a good call.
There will be a detailed end-of-month analysis of the whole Patriotic Front at the end of the next episode - and some detailed reports on three different key Soviet battles, as a bit of a new departure.
In conclusion, German anticipation of a swift victory seem overblown as the veteran German war machine pushes back the entire front, inch by inch... 100-150km in a month is no Blitzkrieg... Rodina will prevail, especially with it's valiant Turkish Ally covering it's southern flank.
Let's hope so - though we thought that about France and then the beginning of the Great Liberation War, and the Germans just kept grinding their enemies down ... but surely the Comintern will prevail, with both right and might on its side! :confused:
What will the war bring next, no one can say for certain, as a slew of events hang in the balance, Mongolia, Ukraine, Leningrad, Romania, all could be lost or held this summer, we can only do our best, and that also goes for the many inexperienced Red Army Commanders that were educated during it's expansion and to replaced those disappeared in the purges. If it all holds together, of the experiences of this summer, and those of the ensuing winter will emerge three hardened Armies, ready to, and capable of, pushing back the Germans, all the way to Berlin, and send the Japs scampering back to the Island chain they came from.
Yes, one trusts the Path to Glory will lead to victory once this fascist roadblock has been removed. :)

Reactions:
Chapter 125: Timisoara (23 to 30 April 1941)
Chapter 125: Timisoara (23 to 30 April 1941)

Prologue

In Monte Carlo, Cennet has rendezvoused with Kelebek. They work out how they will proceed with Mike Ceylan’s next move in the Secret War. In Ankara, Perse continues to make her reputation as Turkey’s ace propagandist: “A real English Rose” as Calistar likes to say of her nickname. And our two intrepid foreign office officials emerge from relative seclusion after the latest ‘witch-hunt’ for spies by that infernal Kaya: they arrange to meet for a cup of coffee and some baklava on May First – to celebrate May Day, which is now an occasion thanks to the Comintern Pact. There will be a gala reception at the Soviet Embassy – though they are not invited.

Meanwhile, in Istanbul Tom Rosencrantz hopes to impress Perse (and his bosses) with the next issue of The Glorious Truth, which awaits battlefield events to determine its next headline-grabbing publicity scoop: will it be glorious victory over the Axis hordes? Or a valiant and equally glorious but more difficult report of retreat in the face of insurmountable odds on the Yeniçeri Line? And in Hawaii, B.J. Guildenstern suns himself on Waikiki Beach, a world away from the trouble and strife of war. Though his funds are starting run (or more accurately, have been drunk) dry.

---xxx---

23 Apr 41

Despite the victory in Lipova, recent events have confirmed the view that having some combat engineers would be a useful addition to the Turkish Army; for attack, defence and mobility. Soviet advisers will be asked to help train some as soon as the industrial capacity to do so is freed up.

uBJVjX.jpg

5 Inf Div, under their crack commander MAJGEN Namut, arrives in Lugoj to start recovering. They are now the designated reserve for the northern sector, but still have a long way to go to regain full combat preparedness.

bnde1q.jpg

Air Raids. Two air raids were conducted by the Hungarian Air Force before the attack on Lipova was broken off, then another just after, causing a total of 518 Turkish and Soviet casualties that day.

OTL Event: Greece. King George II of Greece and the Greek government fled to Crete.

---xxx---

24 Apr 41

An early morning report from the right flank east of Lipova reveals the group of mainly Romanian units gathered in Deva is in fact five co-located HQs. No wonder they haven’t been moving forward to plug the Dezna gap, which remains open but fortunately unfilled by the enemy. It also seems the Romanians have begun to withdraw from their forward position in Oradea (probably just as well), but are still moving to reoccupy Beius, which would help guard the northern flank of Lipova. The situation around Cluj is somewhat confused, but it remains in Axis hands.

N6Y6E9.jpg

The rest of the day is relatively quiet on the Yeniçeri Line, with no Axis air raids conducted on Turkish positions.

OTL Event: Greece. The Battle of Thermopylae ended in German victory, although the Allies fought a successful delaying action. Hitler issued Directive No. 28, Invasion of Crete.

---xxx---

25 Apr 41

The early morning brings some mixed news from Romania, though on balance it is positive: a German light panzer division has pushed them out of their salient in Oradea, but they have reoccupied Beius with a couple of divisions. Though whether they can hold this open terrain for long with a number of German units in the area remains to be seen.

10pzYa.jpg

By mid-afternoon, Gataly’s 15 Inf Div arrived in Kikinda, where they will continue their recovery from recent combat. The Axis build-up in the four provinces from Sânnicolau Mare in the north to Novi Sad in the south is concerning, but they have not moved to attack. Perhaps they are having second thoughts about tackling the reconstituted Yeniçeri Line. Inönü’s main concerns are two-fold and complementary: the Axis forces, including German panzer and other units, are stronger than last time; and many of the Turkish units are still recovering from recent combat. This makes the line more vulnerable to attack and more difficult for the Turks to counter-attack or bring in reinforcements from one part of the line without weakening another too much. But the longer the Axis waits, the better it is for Turkey.

qzd9jS.jpg

Again, the rest of the day passes relatively quietly.

News Report: Washington DC, US. During a press conference, U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt seems to compare Charles Lindbergh to Clement Vallandigham and the Copperheads of the American Civil War. Without using Lindbergh's name, Roosevelt says, "There are people in this country ... [who] say out of one side of the mouth, 'No, I don't like it, I don't like dictatorship,' and then out of the other side of the mouth, 'Well, it's going to beat democracy, it's going to defeat democracy, therefore I might just as well accept it.' Now, I don't call that good Americanism ... Well, Vallandigham, as you know, was an appeaser. He wanted to make peace from 1863 on because the North 'couldn't win.' Once upon a time there was a place called Valley Forge and there were an awful lot of appeasers that pleaded with Washington to quit, because he 'couldn't win.' Just because he 'couldn't win.' See what Tom Paine said at that time in favor of Washington keeping on fighting!"

---xxx---

26 Apr 41

The Milli Sef has just drifted off into a light sleep when he is awoken by his adjutant. The man is tense. “Sir, could you please come to the CP at once? The Axis have launched a major attack!”

“Where?” says Inönü as he quickly tries to get his bearings and clear his mind.

Timisoara, sir!”

He nods calmly – no sense panicking his men. But, to himself, he thinks: Damn, they’ve unerringly picked the weak spot I was worried about when we had to send 1 Motorlu to Lipova! He hopes this will be another of those foolhardy probes they have beaten off easily in the past. But it is not.

Kg08MS.jpg

As he arrives in the 1st Army HQ’s CP, his chief of staff briefs him:

“Yamut has reported a major attack on Timisoara, including German medium armour, the SS-Verf Div, Italian light armour and line infantry divisions from Germany and Italy! Five well-prepared divisions in all, attacking from Senta and Sannicolau Mare.”

“How are they holding up?”

“Well enough to start with, despite being heavily outnumbered and facing two enemy armoured divisions. Yamut has taken personal command.”

“And his initial assessment?”

“I’ll read directly from his first contact report, sir:"

'We believe the Hungarians have once again given command of the entire attack to that idiot Arena! With confidence in their numbers, he launched a reckless assault, which I have counter-attacked. My own reinforced Corps HQ is in the front line. We are mowing them down by the bushel, but their armour and numbers will tell in the end, especially if they ever wise up with their tactics. We will definitely need reinforcement if we are to hold.'

“He certainly will. Give orders to 1 Motorlu to return to Timisoara immediately. How long will it take them?”

“Sir, they have of course prepared for this – they estimate they can make it there in less than a day – before midnight tonight.”

“Good. We will see how the battle develops but start looking at where else we can scour reinforcements from along the line. And let Namut know he is on one hours’ notice to move: I think the 5th has had just about all the rest it is going to get in Lugoj.”

euvoni.jpg

By midday on 26 April 1941, militia troops from HQ 3rd Corps are in position on the front line in Timisoara, awaiting the inevitable enemy assault as it builds up intensity. The main brunt of the assault is currently falling on 1 Inf Div.

1 Mot Div arrives at 11pm that night, initially taking up a reserve position as it attempts to reinforce the front line. 1 Inf Div is beginning to take heavy casualties, as is the German 23rd Inf Division.

dON9x5.jpg

Note, the attacking percentages (currently affected by night fighting for the attackers) of the two strongest German units versus 8 Inf Div (1 Inf Div had similar numbers). The mixture of terrain, entrenchment and tactics is heavily favouring the Turks, but the Axis has the numbers and the armour … and it’s a very good thing neither of the German generals were placed in command! 8 Inf Div and HQ 3rd Corps are both equipped with AT brigades, which is just well.

No air raids again today – one small mercy …

---xxx---

27 Apr 41

… a mercy which is short-lived, as Italian TAC beginnings hitting Timisoara early that morning and throughout the day. His initial reckless assault having been foiled, the Axis commander Arena (of the Italian 132a 'Ariete' armoured division) changes his tactics for the attack on Timisoara: he tries to employ German doctrine and orders a blitz attack. But the crafty Yamut once again stymies the Italian general by employing an elastic defence. Also, he has managed to plug 1 Mot Div into the line quickly. Whatever happens, Yamut will deserve a medal after this battle!

iqlbF0.jpg

Despite all this, the assessed likelihood of the defence holding is very gradually eroding. At 1pm, Inönü not only orders 5 Inf Div to start heading to the defence of the beleaguered Timisoara: he also takes the risk of marching the new and untried 14 Inf Div (which doesn’t yet have a permanent commander assigned) from Kikinda, which will only be held by a weak Corps HQ (the new 4th Corps, again without an assigned commander) and two still-recovering infantry divisions. But if these reinforcements aren’t started now, they would likely arrive too late to have any impact on what is shaping into a very large and long battle (they will take much longer to arrive than the speedy 1 Mot Div and are marching over rougher terrain to get there).

GARqeI.jpg

Air Raids. The Italian TAC kills 421 Turkish defenders in Timisoara in three raids that day. Hopefully the HQ 3rd Corps AA brigade is causing them some attrition.

OTL Event: Greece. German troops marched into Athens.

News Report: London, UK. Winston Churchill makes a radio broadcast reporting on the war situation. "When I spoke to you early in February many people believed the Nazi boastings that the invasion of Britain was about to begin. Now it has not begun yet, and with every week that passes we grow stronger on the sea, in the air and in the number, quality, training and equipment of the great armies that now guard our island," Churchill said. Returning to the line in that February speech asking for the "tools" to "finish the job," Churchill said that "that is what it now seems the Americans are going to do. And that is why I feel a very strong conviction that though the Battle of the Atlantic will be long and hard and its issue is by no means yet determined, it has entered upon a more grim but at the same time a far more favourable phase."
Comment: Turkish Intelligence now believes this speech may have been both a call to arms and a distraction, for operational security reasons, based on later revelations.

---xxx---

28 Apr 41

Another Iraqi spy is apprehended in Ankara as he approaches a dead-letter drop at midnight (of course). Unfortunately for him, it has been staked out by Kaya’s secret police - into the cells for him, likely never to emerge alive. The rest of the day is taken up with desperate fighting in the outskirts and some streets of Timisoara. So far, the defence holds as casualties mount on both sides. Late in the day, an intelligence report asserts there is unusual British activity taking place in the central and western Med, but no details are forthcoming from British liaison, who remain tight-lipped, offering ‘No comment, my dear chaps. We will let you know if or when there is anything to report.” Damned Anglo insouciance!

Air Raids. The Italians continue to pummel Timisoara, this time managing to squeeze in four raids and killing another 550 Turkish soldiers. Örlungat is itching to send his fighters up in an attempt to intercept them, but Inönü does not authorise it: “Stay patient, we may risk it if we reach a dangerous but finely balanced tipping point, but we are not at that point yet. Time for steady nerves, my friend.”

News Reports: US. Charles Lindbergh announces in a letter that he is resigning as a member of the Army Air Corps Reserve due to President Roosevelt's implied criticism of him. The U.S. War Department accepts his resignation the following day.

Another Gallup poll result was released asking Americans, "If you were asked to vote today on the question of the United States entering the war against Germany and Italy, how would you vote — to go into the war, or to stay out of the war?" 81% said stay out, a 7 percent decrease since the same question was polled in January. Another question asked, "If it appeared certain that there was no other way to defeat Germany and Italy except for the United States to go to war against them, would you be in favor of the United States going to war?" 68% said yes, 24% said no, and 8% expressed no opinion.

---xxx---

29 Apr 41

In Ankara, two men meet at midnight in a dingy alleyway. One looks Asian in appearance, the other looks like he may be from the Levant. The Asian-looking man nonchalantly passes an envelope over to the other – at which point a detail of Kaya’s men emerges from the shadows to quickly apprehend the two and seize the message. It turns out one is a spy from Thailand (an Axis member), the other a Syrian in the service of the Vichy French. It seems they have been cooperating – damned Vichy collaborators and Fascist fellow-travellers! Once decoded, the message poses a question – the same being asked by the Turks themselves:

“Who is this British-run agent, ‘The Thorn’? Find out his identity and report back with whatever you can.”

Who indeed? Under interrogation, it becomes clear the Axis are happy to use Vichy agents as convenient collectors of information in Turkey. Those scum will be dealt with – in due course, Kaya thinks to himself.

“Perhaps we need Darth K…” he just manages to stop himself uttering the S.I.T.H. operative's name aloud “... ah, er, one of our S.I.T.H colleagues to pay them a visit and remind them of the folly of collaboration with Fascists. I will even bring myself to talk to Ögel about it, in the interests of national security!” He pops a precautionary apoplexy tablet, just in case the thought of having to speak civilly to Ögel is enough to trigger an episode.

At the front in Timisoara, the effects of the fighting during the previous day are assessed. All three of the original defending units are now suffering significant disorganisation, though the enemy’s two line infantry divisions are in an even worse state. The odds for the battle have again deteriorated a little further, with Arena finally settling on a tactic (a breakthrough attempt) that is not completely negated by Yamut, who does his best with another counter-attack.

AaSu3o.jpg

Just as the casualties are starting to mount and the next reinforcements are still some way off, Arena reverts to a simple attack – to which Yamut responds with masterful delaying tactics! Just what was needed under the circumstances, buying some time for friendly reinforcements to make it there.

UcR6yr.jpg

dTCkxj.jpg

Troops from the hard-pressed 1 Inf Div, pride of the Turkish Army, engaged in street fighting in the increasingly battered cityscape of Timisoara, 29 April 1941.

Sitrep: HQ 3rd Corps to HQ 1st Army, as at 1400 hrs 29 April 1941.
Enemy
1. The Italian 13a Division has broken off the attack in disorder.
2. The German 23rd Inf Division looks to also be close to breaking point.
3. 11 Pz, SS-Verf and 132a Armoured Divisions are assessed as having taken some damage but remain in strong fighting order.
Friendly
4. 8 Inf Div has taken heavy casualties and is weakening, may need to be withdrawn soon.
5. 1 Inf Div and HQ 3rd Corps have both taken heavy casualties, with organisation slipping.
6. 1 Mot Div remains at almost 100% effectiveness.
Tactical Assessment
7. We continue to employ delaying tactics, but despite the withdrawal of 13a Division the enemy continues to gradually gain the upper hand.

cb03nc.jpg

1fBIFF.jpg

Troops from the fanatical Hitlerite SS-Verfügungstruppe pause briefly in their attack on Timisoara, on the afternoon of 29 April 1941. They may be tough, battle hardened and fanatical but the pressure of the intense battle is written on their faces. This is no push-over against timid defenders.

That evening, HQ 1st Army receives an update report from the Romanians. German troops have pushed them out of Beius, while the Hungarians have retaken the Oradea-Bologa salient: it is not clear if any Romanian divisions were trapped or they all made it out in time.

J452NQ.jpg

And in the Far East, GRU Agent SkitalecS3 advises the temporary Mongolian capital of Uliastay has still not fallen to the Japanese. It is unclear if the Soviet 60th Mtn Div will be able to get there from Tesin in time – though at least they will move more quickly in mountain terrain than other units would. Only one Japanese division now seems to be heading to Uliastay, so there is still some hope it can be saved, and Mongolia kept in the war.

3vZDTx.jpg

Air Raids. The Italians launch another three raids on Timisoara during the day, but their effectiveness has decreased, with only 291 casualties inflicted this time. Perhaps they too are beginning to suffer from mission exhaustion.

OTL Event: Greece. Allied resistance ceased on the Greek mainland when 8,000 British, New Zealand, Australian, Greek and Yugoslavian troops surrendered at Kalamata.

---xxx---

30 Apr 41

After the continued fighting on 29 April, 5 Inf Div arrives from Lugoj shortly after midnight, and though they are still not fully recovered, they shift the battle odds assessment back into Turkey’s favour, even if they remain in reserve for now. 11 Pz and SS-Verf Divisions are beginning to show signs of wear and tear now, which is very good: if they can’t be worn down, the attack will never be defeated. The enemy’s 23rd Inf Division seems to be on its last legs but fights on. The same can be said of the Turkish 8 Inf Div, while both HQ 3rd Corps and 1 Inf Div are also doing it tough. Further south, large Axis concentrations in Srboban and Novi Sad – principally threatening Ada – remain inactive but cannot be discounted: they will ensure no further units are taken from there for the meatgrinder of Timisoara.

y4fQo6.jpg

By 6am, another report is received of an enemy division breaking off the attack: the German 23 Inf Division has had enough. At this point, the two exhausted sides have reverted to simple attack and defend tactics.

mJl8iZ.jpg

Then, out of the blue, at 9am news is received that HQ 3rd Corps has broken and is fleeing Timisoara: it seems that while the overall organisation of the unit showed it had some fight remaining in it, the single front-line 4th Militia Brigade had been completely exhausted. The rest followed when they broke, with the whole HQ routing to Faget. It also means Yamut must relinquish command of the battle. He has done a wonderful job to date, but will it be enough?

RSZJmx.jpg

And at 1pm, 8 Inf Div has very nearly reached its breaking point. To avoid another involuntary withdrawal, they are ordered out to recover in Lugoj. They are sufficiently spent that they would be unable to recover in time to defend that location if Timisoara were to fall in the next few days, but they are ordered to do the best they can. MAJGEN Orbay of the 'Mighty First Division' has taken command of the forces defending Timisoara.

bAbFmn.jpg

Air Raids. There is no significant change to the situation on the ground in Timisoara for the rest of the day – the battle will continue into May after five days of furious combat so far and remains in the balance. Three more Italian air raids killed another 228 defenders during the day – another drop-off in the effectiveness of their ground strikes.

OTL Event: Berlin, Germany. Hitler set the launch date of Operation Barbarossa to June 22.

---xxx---
Monthly Theatre Summaries

As the Battle of Timisoara hangs in the balance [reporting is now up to date, so I don’t yet know how it will end either], the war continues elsewhere. And Churchill has managed to spring another surprise in the Med!

---xxx---

Libya remains in stalemate, with only one British and one Iraqi infantry division in the area around Bengasi. But the Italians remain paralysed, unwilling or (most likely) unable for logistical reasons to take advantage of their superior numbers. There has been no change in the front line since the beginning of April.

0me9oM.jpg

But the British now report they have landed in Sardinia, taking the key port and air base of Cagliari! More will be seen of the activities of the aircraft based there in the subsequent Naval Report.

hl3pnY.jpg

---xxx---

The Far East summary reveals the latest Japanese advances have been limited to the north-east in the last week and are steady but relatively modest over the month (from the yellow line marking the front line as at 1 April). As at midnight on 30 April, Uliastay remains in Comintern hands and Mongolia in the war.

Yqo43B.jpg

---xxx---

The Patriotic Front as a whole provides a mixed picture. Recent German advances have been most rapid in the North and Central sectors. After initial advances at the beginning of the month in the South, the Soviets seem to have halted German momentum and are even pushing back in some places. At Inönü’s request, the Soviets have provided a list of all battles currently in progress (some of those listed below may be occurring in the Far East) and their estimated progress [for those not so familiar with HOI3, green is an attack, red a defence, with low numbers being in the defender’s favour and higher percentages in the attacker’s]. A couple of specific snapshots of a few key battles are provided further below.

BRiZb9.jpg

The North sector shows continued Axis progress towards Riga, which is now under direct attack. There are significant Soviet forces in the area, but they need to form a solid defensive line, using favourable forest and river terrain.

ixGjpS.jpg

The Battle of Riga is a fierce contest. And though they have numbers on their side, it can be seen the Soviets lack organisation and look to be losing here. German shock tactics have thwarted the Soviet commander’s attempted delaying defence.

GQKgTz.jpg

Xorgha.jpg

German troops pressing in on Riga on 30 April 1941, with anti-tank gunners taking on Soviet armour – which may not be best employed in an urban defence but may have been all that was available.

The Centre sector shows a major reason for the Germans’ momentum in this area: there seems to be a large concentration of heavy panzer divisions in this area, which are leading the grinding offensive that is steadily pushing the Soviets back here, though their defence of the Pripet Marshes has held so far.

q5heTr.jpg

The South sector is interesting. Perhaps the Turkish and then Romanian offensives have sufficiently decreased Axis strength in that area to blunt their momentum in what should be conducive open terrain for the offensive. Their line is looking quite thin across the front there and the Soviets have taken advantage of that in a couple of locations.

nibnn7.jpg

The Battle of Zloczow shows a coordinated Soviet shock attack from two different directions (three if 122 SD can reinforce from Krzemieniec) has the attempted delaying defence of the German 79th Inf Division in potential trouble, though so far they remain relatively unscathed.

Txl13I.jpg

And to the south of that, the Battle of Stanislawow shows an even more complex attack from four directions, including from the Soviet 1st Guards Division, going in on a single German infantry division – the 25th – which is in trouble. However, a strong German relief column can be seen moving in from the north-west, including an SS brigade. This could get hot indeed!

MIBTFb.jpg

0TYw4r.jpg

Troops from the Soviet 1st Guards Division attack Stanislawow with tank support, 30 April 1941.
The situation in Romania is already reasonably well-known to the Turkish command. The Axis looks to have consolidated their hold on the Cluj-Dej salient for now but otherwise, the Comintern Pact defence – from the Turkish 6 Inf Div in Lipova in the south to the Romanian-Soviet defensive line stretching up to the north-east – appears to be holding for the moment.

yk9evq.jpg

And the summary of the northern Yeniçeri Line shows how the gains from the beginning of the month following Op KURT SÜRÜSÜ have all been rolled back. However, there have been no further Axis gains in the last week, with of course the major attack on Timisoara still hanging in a delicate balance. If it were to fall, it could be difficult to keep the line solid in that area if it is followed up strongly. If it holds, the Axis will have been dealt a major blow, though they may renew the attack elsewhere.

LyU8Se.jpg

The usual monthly Naval Report, an intelligence report on German combined arms tactics and doctrine and a digest of current Turkish research priorities will follow shortly [not enough room for them in what is already a weighty update].

---xxx---

Coming Up: The next few days should surely settle the latest Battle of Timisoara – though could it drag on for longer? The Secret War continues to build in Monaco and perhaps in Italy and Vichy France, but Mike Ceylan is not yet in a position to enact his next major strike. The Thorn continues to evade any Turkish attempts to capture him. And the propaganda presses wait for news from the front to see what the party line will be: gloating triumph, stoic resistance or trying to put the best light possible on a disastrous defeat and a possible breach of the lines in the Balkans.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Chapter 125a: Intelligence, Research and Naval Reports to Cabinet (30 April 1941)
Chapter 125a: Intelligence, Research and Naval Reports to Cabinet (30 April 1941)

1. Intelligence Report: German Combined Arms – Tactics and Doctrine

Following the encounter with 7 Panzer Division earlier in the month, questions were asked and a report commissioned on how German combined arms warfighting could be so effective. [This needed a quick tag over to a previous save, to interrogate 7 Pz Div and dig into its very high CA score (35%), as posed by LTCOL @diskoerekto.]

46LaXl.jpg

As can be seen much [15%] of the CA bonus was attributable to armoured, infantry and AT components in a ‘square’ German division. Another proportion is due to advanced German doctrine [Combined Arms doctrine researched, which adds 10% where an armoured unit is present]. And finally, their commander’s status as a ‘Battle Master’ added more to this factor [another 10%]. This partially explains the great success of their armoured formations in Poland, France and now on the Patriotic Front.

---xxx---

2. Research Report

Cabinet members and their advisers have also asked for a summary of Turkish research efforts and plans. With only a small amount of effort available [a paltry 8.90 leadership points], most [6.95] is allocated to research, meaning seven projects are able to be researched at any one time. Only categories where there is or has been any new research [ie this game] will be covered. Primitive standards can be assumed for any not mentioned below.

Infantry

This area has seen a large concentration, for obvious reasons. Cavalry is currently being researched to enable locally trained motorised infantry units to be trained or upgraded to – and perhaps eventually mechanised infantry in the further future. Infantry research is currently up to date but should start being researched again soon [only one year out to the next level, so no advanced research penalty will apply].

kPmF8U.jpg

Armour

The only research being done in this area is for anti-tank guns and artillery (which is reasonable but not up to fully modern standards). All new armoured units are being licensed anyway.

XGcSBY.jpg

Industry

This area has seen quite a deal of research, attempting to improve Turkeys production, infrastructure and research bases. While radar and EW capability would be nice to have, other areas must take priority.

D0b1ra.jpg

Theory

The only area researched here has been in civil defence – and that only basic so far. Another level of this at least would be useful [each one increases the repair rate by 5%].

BH3iu7.jpg

Land Doctrine

This has been a major area of focus, for obvious reasons. So much to do, so few researchers to do it! Turkey is slowly working up to Superior Firepower to enable the five-brigade division, but that will require completing the current level 2 research for Tactical Command Structure, then level 3, then Superior Firepower itself. A long grind. Blitzkrieg has been pursued for the armoured force but if [as I hadn’t really appreciated when I kicked it off because I hadn’t done much license purchasing before and hadn’t really gripped up that they come with the doctrine of the parent country at the time. I’m not that an experienced HOI3 player :confused:] it will never get to a level to compete with imported Soviet armoured formations and we’re unlikely to be building our own, this could be a waste of time. [Any advice on this appreciated - I'm no great research guru at all :eek:].

2WBPFj.jpg

Air Doctrine

Some very limited research has been done here. Though, for reasons mentioned above re blitzkrieg doctrine research, this might also be ineffective. It will count for the original two Turkish Air Force wings (INT and TAC), but again, all the newer planes built under license from the Soviets will presumably come with doctrine way above anything I can hope to achieve. Again, these two lines should probably be discontinued after the current research is complete (which will be reasonably soon).

xbdGVl.jpg

---xxx---

3. Naval Report

An interesting development this month: all the casualties (and they are significant) have been suffered by the Italians again except for one Soviet submarine flotilla sunk by the Japanese (specific details unknown). And all at the hands of a single British unit. This must surely have crippled what was left of the Regia Marina.

lV3l9o.jpg

RM Caio Duilio was an Italian Andrea Doria-class battleship, named after the Roman fleet commander Gaius Duilius. Caio Duilio was laid down in February 1912, launched in April 1913, and completed in May 1916. Caio Duilio saw no action during World War I owing to the inactivity of the Austro-Hungarian fleet during the conflict. She was initially armed with a main battery of thirteen 305 mm (12.0 in) guns, but a major reconstruction in the late 1930s replaced these with ten 320 mm (13 in) guns. Displacement: 24,729t; complement: 35 officers, 1,998 enlisted men. Sunk in April 1941 by No. 15 Wing RN Coastal Naval Command.

DXwkac.jpg

RM Conte di Cavour was the name ship of the three Conte di Cavour-class battleships built for the Regia Marina in the 1910s. She served during Great War I but was little used and saw no combat during it. Laid down: 10 August 1910; launched: 10 August 1911; completed: 1 April 1915; refit: October 1933–June 1937. Main armament: 3 × triple, 2 × twin 305 mm (12 in) guns; displacement: 23,458 t; complement: 31 officers and 969 enlisted men. Sunk in April 1941 by No. 15 Wing RN Coastal Naval Command.

bg5stu.jpg

RM Giulio Cesare was another of the three Conte di Cavour-class dreadnought battleships. Like the namesship. She served in Great War 1, was little used and saw no combat during it. Laid down: 24 June 1910; launched: 15 October 1911; completed: 14 May 1914; commissioned: 7 June 1914; decommissioned: 18 May 1928; recommissioned: 3 June 1937. Main armament: 3 × triple, 2 × twin 305 mm (12 in) guns; displacement: 23,458 t; complement: 31 officers and 969 enlisted men. Sunk in April 1941 by No. 15 Wing RN Coastal Naval Command.

tAlzkN.jpg

RM Raimondo Montecuccoli was a Condottieri-class light cruiser of the Italian Regia Marina. Raimondo Montecuccoli, which gives the name to its own sub-class, was part of the third group of Condottieri-class light cruisers. They were larger and better protected than their predecessors. Laid down: 1 October 1931; launched: 2 August 1934; commissioned: 30 June 1935. Main armament: 8 × 152 mm (6 in) guns (4×2); displacement: 7,523 t; complement: 578. Sunk in April 1941 by No. 15 Wing RN Coastal Naval Command.

I4adJ5.jpg

The now-dreaded No. 15 Wing RN Coastal Naval Command. Based in Cagliari, Sardinia as at 30 April 1941. Turkish Naval Intelligence believes it must have sunk the four Italian ships above – including three battleships – from Cagliari once based there.

i6qmoS.jpg

The Royal Navy has not passed on any details of when they completed their Sardinian landings or when 15 Wing made its kills. But estimates of their operational range, their current port strike mission and reports of at least two port strikes on the Italian mainland conducted in the last week (and possible more prior to that) indicate the port of Civitavecchia, near Rome, as a likely location.

UuYyLg.jpg

An aerial shot provided by the British of bomb damage assessment on the RM Conte di Cavour. The ship was later confirmed as sunk. No specific date or location were provided with the photo, but Turkish Naval Intelligence believes it might have been sunk while in port at Civitavecchia, near Rome. [Actually from Taranto, of course, but the circumstances bear a passing resemblance].

Last edited:
Reactions:
to celebrate May Day, which is now an occasion thanks to the Comintern Pact
May Day was an official holiday since 1935 until the American backed coup of 1980 ;)

Whatever happens, Yamut will deserve a medal after this battle!
Namut is da man!

the single front-line 4th Militia Brigade had been completely exhausted.
RATS! Maybe when we have some to afford we can replace those with inf brigades in the future?

[reporting is now up to date, so I don’t yet know how it will end either]
How can you stay without playing further? I wouldn't be able to stop myself :)

The usual monthly Naval Report, an intelligence report on German combined arms tactics and doctrine and a digest of current Turkish research priorities will follow shortly [not enough room for them in what is already a weighty update].
Great episode! Another one that can only be read on the edge of the seat:) Waiting for the appendix now :)

EDIT: now on to the appenix.

This has been a major area of focus, for obvious reasons. So much to do, so few researchers to do it! Turkey is slowly working up to Superior Firepower to enable the five-brigade division, but that will require completing the current level 2 research for Tactical Command Structure, then level 3, then Superior Firepower itself. A long grind. Blitzkrieg has been pursued for the armoured force but if [as I hadn’t really appreciated when I kicked it off because I hadn’t done much license purchasing before and hadn’t really gripped up that they come with the doctrine of the parent country at the time. I’m not that an experienced HOI3 player :confused:] it will never get to a level to compete with imported Soviet armoured formations and we’re unlikely to be building our own, this could be a waste of time. [Any advice on this appreciated - I'm no great research guru at all :eek:].
I've never played HoI3 but I spent many hours with HoI2 and I read about game mechanics of HoI3. Morale was always more important than organization in HoI2 and it seems be the case here as well. That's why I find Blitzkrieg not really worth the difficulty (I have no idea if the increased odds for Blitz and Masterful Blitz battle events are valuable or not). Mech offensive until level 3 for the Combined Armes Warfare tech for the extra 10% CA bonus and the Tactical command structure for the 5 brigade division is a good way to go. After those 1 time techs, I think we can keep on with the tactical command structure since we will produce mot and mec bdes and morale is important. After those I can say a few Operational Level Organisation maybe for faster repeat attacks or Delay for better morale for artillery and AT or Integrated Support for better morale for mountaineers (VUR HA!) or Mass Assault for better morale for inf? Decisions to make for you :) I'd say going for the Tac command structure for the time being is undisputed best bet but I'm talking about after we get 5 bde divs (are these called pentagon divs?).

Good thing of not having an industry base for armor is (well if one has to look from the bright side) when you take out the armor related techs and the odds one like militia techs one is left with only a handful of doctrine techs to select. Easier to decide out of 5 instead of 15 :)

I also want to ask other readers, there are some doctrine techs that only give a higher battle event chance or a small other thing and a higher battle event chance. Are those worth it?

An interesting development this month: all the casualties (and they are significant) have been suffered by the Italians again except for one Soviet submarine flotilla sunk by the Japanese (specific details unknown). And all at the hands of a single British unit. This must surely have crippled what was left of the Regia Marina.

Maybe another future offensive plan might be a naval invasion of another Italian island since Rhodes and Sardinia are now gone? I'd like some Sicilian food and I guess our S.I.T.H people would like to have Sicilia as well :D

Last edited:
Reactions:
What an epic struggle in Timsoara. Yamut definitely deserves that medal, his actions bought time for reinforcements to be brought in, and he wore down the enemy in the process. Tough luck on the Axis for putting an Italian imbecile in charge of that big push, let's all hope that somehow that Italian Division holds out until the very end so Turkish commanders can keep outsmarting Arena...

The detailed survey of the Patriotic front is quite interesting, the H Arm push is slow but seems serious, otherwise, the Turkish and Romanian fronts definitely thinned Axis lines in the South, opening the way for a limited Soviet counter-offensive, or at least consolidation of the line. The very north seems in flux, with Riga in big trouble. All those units need to somehow stop running and dig in behind the RIver... though that outcome is far from certain, the situation can be salvaged.

Mongolia may just be all right as those Soviet Mountaineers should have a significant movement advantage over the Japanese regulars, moreover, once they get there, they will have a big defensive advantage, so unless the Mountaineers have serious supply issues, or the Japs started moving a week before the Mountaineers Mongolia will live to fight another day.

On the Research front: Blitzkrieg is definitely not worth it. The same probably goes for those Air Doctrine updates. Instead I'd go for better AT, and maybe work towards Grand Battle Plan...

I also want to ask other readers, there are some doctrine techs that only give a higher battle event chance or a small other thing and a higher battle event chance. Are those worth it?
It all depends... 'Shock', 'Counter-Attack', and 'Ambush' are, together with 'Assault', quite powerful tactics:

Defensive:

'Counter-Attack': If you want the reinforce bonus of 'Grand Battle Plan' (which is very handy, as when you insert a unit into an ongoing battle it shortens the time needed for said unit to actually join the fight ), you have to research three rounds of 'Central Planning' (Increased chance of Counter-Attack), so this is is pretty much a given for a major. Counter-Attack gives +25% defender damage with no downsides.

'Ambush': This gives you -25% Attacker Damage, however, the 'Guerilla Warfare' tech doesn't lead up to anything, so Counter-Attack may be more effective. If you expect to fight an outnumbered defensive war with strained supply lines it might still be a good call.

Offensive:

'Shock': Gives you -25% Defender Damage on the offensive, if your army is Militia-based it's a no-brainer, however, if you don't have a lot of militia the 'Large Front' tech also leads to 'Human Wave', which reduces your stacking penalty, if you expect to have overwhelming superiority in numbers (maybe not so much in quality), the 'Unit Cooperation' modifier can really help make them useful.

Other techs with effects:
'Operational Level Command Structure': Combat Movement modifier will shorten the time needed to occupy a province on the offensive (so both taking control of a province after a victory or walking into an empty enemy province will take less time), this is very important if you want to be faster than your enemy, and exploit breakthroughs rapidly.

'Operational Level Organisation': Arguably more important still than OLCS, this significantly shortens the delay between successive attacks by the same unit.

I think it all depends on what you need, Morale and Organisation of your units should probably come first, though expanding on that with a particular focus on more effective tactics can definitely give your troops an edge.

Of course, for these tactics to trigger at the right time, you need good generals too...

Reactions:
By the way, thank you @Bullfilter for taking the time for my special request of techs :) it's already sparking some good discussion :D

For one, maybe we should cancel the Blitzkrieg that will not help us much (since we're not building armor any time soon) and start Electronic Computing Machine 1941? That makes every other research faster.

On the Research front: Blitzkrieg is definitely not worth it. The same probably goes for those Air Doctrine updates. Instead I'd go for better AT, and maybe work towards Grand Battle Plan...

It all depends... 'Shock', 'Counter-Attack', and 'Ambush' are, together with 'Assault', quite powerful tactics:

Defensive:

'Counter-Attack': If you want the reinforce bonus of 'Grand Battle Plan' (which is very handy, as when you insert a unit into an ongoing battle it shortens the time needed for said unit to actually join the fight ), you have to research three rounds of 'Central Planning' (Increased chance of Counter-Attack), so this is is pretty much a given for a major. Counter-Attack gives +25% defender damage with no downsides.

'Ambush': This gives you -25% Attacker Damage, however, the 'Guerilla Warfare' tech doesn't lead up to anything, so Counter-Attack may be more effective. If you expect to fight an outnumbered defensive war with strained supply lines it might still be a good call.

Offensive:

'Shock': Gives you -25% Defender Damage on the offensive, if your army is Militia-based it's a no-brainer, however, if you don't have a lot of militia the 'Large Front' tech also leads to 'Human Wave', which reduces your stacking penalty, if you expect to have overwhelming superiority in numbers (maybe not so much in quality), the 'Unit Cooperation' modifier can really help make them useful.

Other techs with effects:
'Operational Level Command Structure': Combat Movement modifier will shorten the time needed to occupy a province on the offensive (so both taking control of a province after a victory or walking into an empty enemy province will take less time), this is very important if you want to be faster than your enemy, and exploit breakthroughs rapidly.

'Operational Level Organisation': Arguably more important still than OLCS, this significantly shortens the delay between successive attacks by the same unit.

I think it all depends on what you need, Morale and Organisation of your units should probably come first, though expanding on that with a particular focus on more effective tactics can definitely give your troops an edge.

Of course, for these tactics to trigger at the right time, you need good generals too...

From CK2 I'm familiar with battle events and their importance, but how much does the doctrine techs change it? What I mean is, is the 3% (I'm guessing these are hourly probabilities?) increase takes it from 1% to 4% or 1% to 1.03%?

My understanding says counter-attack is the most efficient defensive event (backhand blow and elastic defense are better but need much superior generals, not really efficient) and with no counter battle event and only 1 skill advantage necessary. On the other hand the tech that gives +3% to counter attack gives no other bonuses (other than HQ toughness bonus which sounds meaningless, who uses HQs as breakthrough units?) which comes to my point. How much is 3% really? If it makes a real difference than Central Planning would be my next one after Tactical Command Structure and Mechanized Offense. There's also the added bonus of being able to research the one-time combat reinforcement chance increasing tech as you said.

On offense shock (along with breakthrough as a second) seems to be the most efficient, but I cannot find any land doctrine in wiki that gives it. From your message it seems like Large Front is the one? If so that's also quite useless and also the one time tech that's tied to it is useless for us as well since due to manpower and general limitations we will never have overwhelming numerical superiority.

I agree with the points about OLCS and OLO. My final priority list would be:
1- Tactical Command Structure (and Superior Firepower thus 5 bde divs), and further from there keeping current
2- Mechanized Offense (and Combined Arms Warfare thus +10% CA bonus), and maybe stop there
3- OLO until delay between successive attacks by the same unit is acceptable
4- some OLCS for offensive movement bonus
5- Central Planning for counter attacks
6- Elastic Defense / Mobile Warfare and Large Front if actually gives some shock event bonus
7- (support/inf/special forces morale) Delay Doctrine / Integrated Support / Mass Assault to taste :D

If the effects of doctrines on battle events is negligible 5&6 becomes moot

• 1Like
Reactions:
From CK2 I'm familiar with battle events and their importance, but how much does the doctrine techs change it? What I mean is, is the 3% (I'm guessing these are hourly probabilities?) increase takes it from 1% to 4% or 1% to 1.03%?
Well, for starters, as I understand it, no doctrines means that you will be have 100% 'Attack' on the offensive and 100% 'Defence' on the defensive, every 'event' or 'tactic' you research the first level of becomes possible, provided your General is good enough etc... Not counting restrictions or increases in chances due to General skill level and skill level superiority... every level gives +3% chance of a specific event occurring. I believe the increase takes it from 0% to 3%, though I have no evidence or data to back that up, which is why I'm tracking the tactics used in my SU AAR, but as the GPW hasn't even started, the amount of data is insufficient. I do know that a tactic will never be used when the first level isn't researched first, at least in my experience.

My understanding says counter-attack is the most efficient defensive event (backhand blow and elastic defense are better but need much superior generals, not really efficient) and with no counter battle event and only 1 skill advantage necessary. On the other hand the tech that gives +3% to counter attack gives no other bonuses (other than HQ toughness bonus which sounds meaningless, who uses HQs as breakthrough units?) which comes to my point. How much is 3% really? If it makes a real difference than Central Planning would be my next one after Tactical Command Structure and Mechanized Offense. There's also the added bonus of being able to research the one-time combat reinforcement chance increasing tech as you said.
Central Planning is not necessarily worth it, especially for Turkey, unless we can get to Grand Battle Plan rather quickly (that could really help when rotating units in and out of battle on the defensive. Theoretically 'counter-attack' and 'ambush' are both very effective defensive tactics, it depends on circumstances which is more effective. (depending on whether defence damage or attack damage has more of an impact) The Finns in my game must have researched quite a bit of Guerilla tactics, and the 'Ambush' tactics were a real pain, though superior numbers and soviet air power overcame all resistance, in the few 1v1 battles the Finns' 'Ambush' tactics really hurt attacking riflemen.

On offense shock (along with breakthrough as a second) seems to be the most efficient, but I cannot find any land doctrine in wiki that gives it. From your message it seems like Large Front is the one? If so that's also quite useless and also the one time tech that's tied to it is useless for us as well since due to manpower and general limitations we will never have overwhelming numerical superiority.
On paper, both Shock and Assault are very good, it just depends on the circumstances (just like with counter-attack and ambush). That one-time tech is only really useful if you have a mass-build strategy and combined with the other one-time Large Formations tech, it means that you can throw more than twice the enemy's numbers in Militia their way.

I agree with the points about OLCS and OLO. My final priority list would be:
1- Tactical Command Structure (and Superior Firepower thus 5 bde divs), and further from there keeping current
2- Mechanized Offense (and Combined Arms Warfare thus +10% CA bonus), and maybe stop there
3- OLO until delay between successive attacks by the same unit is acceptable
4- some OLCS for offensive movement bonus
5- Central Planning for counter attacks
6- Elastic Defense / Mobile Warfare and Large Front if actually gives some shock event bonus
7- (support/inf/special forces morale) Delay Doctrine / Integrated Support / Mass Assault to taste :D
Seems like a decent enough list, though I'm not sure OLCS is more important than Morale. I think OLCS should be at the bottom. It's almost pointless to have rapid offensive movement if your units can't recoup Org fast enough to keep pushing. Central Planning in the aim to get Grand Battle Plan Doctrine. The same goes for tactics without added benefits, they are useless, unless your units recoup organisation quickly. Combined Arms Warfare is a must, superior firepower will help deal with the shortage of military leaders, OLO should really be kept up to date to be able to maintain the initiative, and momentum, when you need to.

I'd like to hear what others have to say about this.

Reactions:
Thanks @diskoerekto and @roverS3 ,this is very useful discussion as I’m a bit dusty on tech and Turkey has so little research capacity I need to be targeted. I’ll treat this as a War Ministry meeting on tech recommendations to the President. :)

But also still taking general comments on the recent updates. ;)

• 1Like
Reactions: