• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I would suggest not combining AT and AA within the same Division. With Militia, it doesn't make much of a difference as Militia are so poorly trained that they have no concept of combined arms warfare, but if you were to retrain and rearm the Militia (even to Garrisons), you would find that AA + AT lacks the versatility of other Support unit combinations, this is because neither AA nor AT units can provide significant and accurate indirect fire support, so you're limited to direct fire support. Your units will probably get more out of AA + Art or AT + Art.
Oh, indeed. No CA bonus here. I just wanted each one to have both just to ensure the angles were covered wherever they might be deployed, given the mix of other brigade types across all the Turkish and Soviet EF forces they may end up paired with. They are not combined in my 'standard' infantry division templates.

Now this, this goes entirely against the propaganda we've built up around 'Stalin's organs', it seems US mobile Rocket Artillery is better than Katyusha's... What a disgrace!
Yes, a bit better. But it's all within the Comintern. And they are giving us all that Lend-Lease, after all. As are the Soviets - even the British, it must be acknowledged.

And I thought the GRU was bad at fake names... I stand corrected, the OSS is definitely worse. Also, I'm not convinced that conversation was entirely innocent. I listened in and "it's always springtime" is definitely some kind of code. Kelebek is right, Perse is the Turkish Security apparatus weak link, perceived or real, she must remain under close watch.
Yes, definitely a cheesy name, but as 'cultural attaché', it wouldn't matter what he called himself! :p Springtime - a code, or just innocently harking back to the days of the accidental smash hit production - and of Guildenstern's rather dubious and corrupt behaviour in the whole mess, which forced him to flee the country in urgent and shady circumstances, bearing a case full of illegally obtained cash? :confused:;)

I've been known to have that effect on people. I like to say anonymous and faceless, but sometimes, one needs to have some fun. Perse is such a delightful dancer, and she hid her fear rather well. I'm impressed.
She's grown up in a tough school and must fight for herself and her place - a little like Cennet has had to, though very differently.

I love the creativity of Sith in dealing with their foes. You make the GRU look almost boring with it's standardised wet-work teams, and operating procedures for assassinations and interrogations.
It helps having the Mafia and supernatural shape-changing villains to call upon for the most important cases. :D

As long as the mission happens. This made me fondly recall an affair with a Greek Communist beauty in my younger years, when I was still a junior operative. I never let it interfere with the mission, it's a precarious balance, but it can be a lot of fun. I hope Cennet enjoys herself as there ins't much opportunity for real personal connection in our line of work.
Oh, the mission will go on. But (as in your 'Odin' universe with '11') these are young and vibrant people, risking their lives in time of war and not expecting to survive it. One must imagine they could seek release. Especially Cennet, who has had her heart broken by (bad) Mafia plots in the past. Poor Vinnie, dying in the Line of Duty. :(

How much opium does he smoke along with his tea is the question that's on my mind here. I also question his request for fighters, with Air bases so few and far between, those wouldn't have much impact on the overall picture. Much better to get some Tactical Bombers to strike the enemy on the ground, outside of his own fighter cover.

The Germans are over-extending themselves towards the North. Sure, taking Leningrad was a huge boost to their morale etc, but moving into Karelia seems rather stupid. They're going to have to weaken their forces in the Leningrad area itself, or pull units from elsewhere to hold the line, all that to get some forests with atrocious infrastructure, freezing winters, and few resources. I'd say, let them, and focus our forces north of the Pripyat in a thrust to the Baltic. If we reach the Baltic again, be it in Leningrad, or slightly south of it, we cut off the head of the snake. Of course, it remains to be seen whether STAVKA will seize this opportunity.

The Far Eastern front is looking good.
The British in Burma/India? :rolleyes:o_O Yes, we're all hoping that German offensive becomes a pocket and Leningrad their Stalingrad in TTL.

This really is quite strange. Any information on 'The Wraith's real name and rank? I guess we'll all find out when he arrives at 1st Army HQ.

US Embassy parties have lost none of their shine, providing some welcome distraction from the horrors and losses of the war.

Let's not forget to enjoy our life a little, even in these trying times,

SkitalecS3
Other than the Wraith info passed on in previous replies, it will indeed be revealed in the next episode - which will now be played out soon. :)

Reactions:
True, but the main advantage is if the initial puppeting is done as a war goal, they keep their surviving units in the field ... which can be pretty handy, especially having those Italian aircraft on our side. Ah well - its conquest and the UGNR for them, if we ever get there.;)
Now I remember how in real life post war the knights templar became one of the countries with the biggest airforce :D

That's a chance too, though I'll try to find Italian figures where I can.
I meant on the other side of the exchange with Italian revolutionaries, maybe as Cennet's underlings or colleagues

Maybe, but I doubt I'll need many of them and can get good ones via licence, so I'll probably keep the research for key techs and/or ones where I already have a lot of home-grown units that will be improved with research.
Since we have motorized unlocked, mechanized is only 1 tech to unlock and it takes the majority of its upgrades from infantry which we already keep current. About SPRArt, we'll already research CA warfare doctrine tech for the CA bonus but yeah it'll probably suck a bit :D

Reactions:
Perse has always walked a very narrow tightrope, from the start. She is a survivor though, with so long now spent as an increasingly integral part of the Turkish effort. They couldn't do without her now, could they?

Of course they can. Indeed with this honeypot strategy they must plan for her to be murdered by someone, or turned by a foreign government and then killed by SITH.

Kelebek (which for those readers who have come later or can no longer remember, is just Turkish for 'butterfly': such an innocuous and indeed wholesome word, which has come to mean something far more sinister in this universe).

An incredibly sinister sounded word in the anglosphere however. H. G. Lovecraft taught us well, anything with three very strong syllables and sounds 'foreign' is scary. Initially, for new readers, he was referred to as some mysterious stranger who rolled up to a conference calling himself Kelebek Kompositor. Naturally, everyone noted how he sounded like a fanfic Sith Lord character and so we ran with it.

Reactions:
Of course they can. Indeed with this honeypot strategy they must plan for her to be murdered by someone, or turned by a foreign government and then killed by SITH.
Now there's a difference between a successful and unsuccessful honeypot strategy. See, if the flies make it into the honeypot the honey would be spoiled, the trick is to lure them with the honeypot but collect them before they're in it. Of course, keeping the honeypot in the loop is also a good step in doing so. We don't know yet if the strategy is indeed honeypot, and if Perse knows about it.

Reactions:
I meant on the other side of the exchange with Italian revolutionaries, maybe as Cennet's underlings or colleagues
Ah, OK. Will see how it pans out. Though at this rate, I risk losing control of the number of characters flitting around. It's why some get bumped off or fade away over time. Though they can always make a reappearance.

Since we have motorized unlocked, mechanized is only 1 tech to unlock and it takes the majority of its upgrades from infantry which we already keep current. About SPRArt, we'll already research CA warfare doctrine tech for the CA bonus but yeah it'll probably suck a bit :D
Mech might be pursued later, to start hardening up the mot brigades already in the armoured and motorised divisions.

Now there's a difference between a successful and unsuccessful honeypot strategy. See, if the flies make it into the honeypot the honey would be spoiled, the trick is to lure them with the honeypot but collect them before they're in it. Of course, keeping the honeypot in the loop is also a good step in doing so. We don't know yet if the strategy is indeed honeypot, and if Perse knows about it.
Anything could be intended or happen. More on this soon. ;)

An incredibly sinister sounded word in the anglosphere however. H. G. Lovecraft taught us well, anything with three very strong syllables and sounds 'foreign' is scary. Initially, for new readers, he was referred to as some mysterious stranger who rolled up to a conference calling himself Kelebek Kompositor. Naturally, everyone noted how he sounded like a fanfic Sith Lord character and so we ran with it.
Yes, the Red Butterfly was initially a bit more of a revolutionary activist. But his true nature began to become apparent as time wore on ... :eek::D

Next episode out soon - just starting to upload.

Reactions:
Chapter 193: Shock Absorber (1 to 18 February 1943)
Chapter 193: Shock Absorber (1 to 18 February 1943)

AuthAAR’s Note: February was played through to its end, but while there was too much for it to be crammed into one episode with the inclusion of the usual monthly reports, it will fit comfortably into two. This one covers the first two-thirds of the month, the next the last plus reports. @Wraith11B, watch out for the first appearance of a certain in-game character. And I’m sure @diskoerekto will advise if my Google translated Turkish phrase is in need of correction! :)

---xxx---

Recap. January had proven to be a month of onslaughts. First, the closing out of the Adriatic Pocket, which had seen two more German divisions surrender, then consistent Axis counter-attacks, plus a breakout that had captured Leningrad and then spread north around Lake Ladoga. The key strategic uncertainty remained whether Finland, firmly in the Axis camp diplomatically for years now, would be tempted to actually join the Fascist pact, or continue to maintain its neutrality.

Turkey still had its tentative plans for another spring offensive, but poor weather, recovery from the Frost Wolf winter offensive and then the persistent German-led attacks of January had those plans on hold for now.

---xxx---

1 Feb 43

The month began with a new motorised division – 3 Mot Div – being formed in Zajecar, south of Turnu Severin, comprising initially one of the converted militia divisions (now a MOT div) and the 4th SP Arty Bde. More brigades would be added as they became available.

The Axis obsession with Vrnograc continued at 1 am, but a three-division probe (German, Italian and Hungarian troops) was over as soon as it began, with nine Turkish and 46 Axis soldiers killed in less than an hour.

At the same time, the Italians launched an attack across the straits from Pola to Lussino. The Italian armour was badly suited to the purpose (in fact were almost useless), but the infantry of their 33rd Division was far more effective. MAJGEN Devyatov of 222 SD was confident of holding, even though outnumbered. But the battle would continue for longer than the Comintern expected.

67aHgg.jpg

The probe earlier that morning having been quickly called off, a new attack on Vrnograc by Italian light armour was launched at 4am. It would last for ten hours before being called off, the enemy having been handed a bloody lesson. MAJGEN Diskoerekto had found the two combats that day most instructive: he felt he had progressed to another level of efficiency.

ztFnVW.jpg

Ground Damage Report. Axis air strikes on Vrnograc had killed 298 Turkish defenders. The Italian Air Force would hit Lussino up to four times a day, for the duration of the attack: total casualties there will be summarised later, but the drain on the Soviet defenders there was continuous.

---xxx---

2 Feb 43

Early on 2 February, as the assault and air attacks on Lussino persisted, the readiness of the three fighters wings now based in Split was assessed. But at this point, the were not yet strong enough to risk an interception. Devyatov’s men would have to tough it out for now.

That night, 1 Inf Div finished their repositioning move south from Vrnograc to Novi Grad, which would now have IS-1s on hand to oppose any further German armoured sorties across the Sava River.

---xxx---

3 Feb 43

At 4 am, 6 US Mar Div left Novi Grad to take 1 Inf Div’s place in Vrnograc: apart from evening things up, it was designed to give a future marine river crossing operation two axes of attack on their prospective target. The land and air attacks on Lussino continued with surprising tenacity.

It was that morning that the US Marines’ new LO to HQ 1st Army, Major Kenny ‘Wraith’ Loggins, a raider-trained officer, arrived. He was introduced to President, Milli Şef and General Ismet Inönü.

“I’m glad you called me in, Mr President,” Loggins said after introductory pleasantries. “Good battlefield coordination between Allies is vital, of course. During the last month, the Sava Line was certainly under threat. I’m glad the US Marines were able to ride into the danger zone be of some direct assistance.”

“And it was greatly appreciated, Major,” replied Inönü graciously. “I’m sure the Marines were itching for that fight. You never know what you can do until you get up into the line, as far as you can go.”

“Yes, sir! Out along the edge is always where I burn to be. The further on the edge, the hotter the intensity.”

“Well, the 6th is being taken right into the danger zone in Vrnograc. And there will be plenty for your brothers to do when it comes time to launch our next offensive across the Sava, whenever that may be. They will have to ride right into the danger zone then.”

“Semper fi, sir!”

“Vur ha, Major!”

ukrBI2.jpg

Major Kenny ‘Wraith’ Loggins in his Marine Corps enlistment photo, included with the biographical information provided to HQ 1st Army when he was transferred across as the USMC LO.

---xxx---

4 Feb 43

Another important day arrived for the Turkish Air Force when the first wing (8 AF) of licence-built P-51D Mustang multi-role fighters was deployed at the Beograd air base that morning, to begin work-up. Another would follow in some weeks. But neither the US or Soviets were yet offering updated interceptor designs, so none were ordered yet. Instead, another ‘line militia’ division (2 x MIL, AA, AT) was ordered.

Compared to the currently serving La-5s, the Mustangs were an improvement in a number of areas [a pity the air defence factor is apparently so badly bugged, as that would have been a nice advantage]. The new pilots and ground crew were better trained, the Mustang was 50kph faster and while its air attack was no better than the La-5, its basic small air search radar made it marginally more effective at night.

7zVoeK.jpg

The repeated air raids (in particular) and ground combat were taking a toll on 222 SD in Lussino. It was now down to 83.2% strength, with organisation below that. The Italian armour was suffering, but their infantry division was largely unscathed.

That evening, 6 US Mar Div arrived in Vrnograc – which had remained quiet the last few days. Perhaps, apart from the continuing fighting in Lussino, the Axis was now going to hunker down in the Adriatic-Sava Sector after the exertions of January?

The Turks’ Chief Meteorologist provided his latest report that evening as well. Temperatures were gradually increasing, with no muddy conditions being reported on either side of the Sava River in the designated breakthrough area or beyond it.

But while the weather conditions may now be conducive, the state of Turkish preparations was not. The Axis line was strong, with at least two divisions per province dug in behind the Sava River all the way from Zagreb to Beograd. And the key assault divisions were still recovering from their exertions of the month before, as was the Air Force. The ride into the danger zone would have to wait a little longer.

---xxx---

5 Feb 43

In Ankara, Perse had been busy ensuring a new poster to follow up on the commemoration of the Glorious Union’s Foundation Day was produced and distributed throughout the Union – especially in the Balkans. Versions in the relevant local languages were made for each constituent GNR. She had been a little unsettled by events following the little ‘fishing expedition’ she had been made to conduct at the US Embassy. Kaya’s agents had asked many questions and it was difficult to tell the difference between their ‘happy’ face and their ‘threatening’ face. Mainly because they were never happy, and always threatening!

7JuTkR.jpg

English language version.

As the Italian’s maintained their land and air assault on Lussino, Inönü became increasingly concerned about the ability of 222 SD to hold indefinitely on its own. Their comrades from 217 SD were ordered across from Doboj that evening, leaving one more division and the reinforced HQ 1st Corps to guard it.

0tP93t.jpg

---xxx---

6 Feb 43

At midnight, a coded Morse code message from the Turkish intelligence outpost in Rome was received in Zürich: the Italians had managed to put a counter-espionage team in the field and had one more in reserve, it was suspected. This team had managed to apprehend one of the Turkish spies operating in Italy, though he had been quickly replaced.

For now, their orders were to remain devoting one-third of their effort to countering the Italians (and their Slovak henchmen), the other two-thirds remaining on the task of disrupting their national unity. Cennet had returned by then and was recording more material for Radio Free Italy, while retaining oversight of the nascent CLN resistance (including the handsome Sforzini) in northern Italy and of their underworld allies in Sicily and southern Italy.

By 4am, the battered 222 SD in Lussino was down to only just over 70% strength, with organisation approaching 50%. Devyatov was now wisely using an elastic defence, but there were genuine fears that incessant air attacks might prove decisive and force a retreat before reinforcements could arrive.

Soon after 217 SD had left Doboj, at 1pm the alert Axis commanders had launched a probe to test the weakened defences there. Fortunately the experienced LTGEN Fevzi Cakmak (commander 1st Corps and Inönü’s senior Army deputy), with the support of 12 SD, ambushed the attackers as they made their way across the Sava from Brcko and Bosanski Brod with five divisions, including the hated SS-Verf Div. The attack was broken off after only two hours, with 33 Comintern and 82 Axis losses, even though the Axis had outnumbered them almost two-to-one.

Ground Damage Report. A single Axis air raid on Doboj killed just 75 Comintern defenders. The bombing of Lussino continued.

---xxx---

7 Feb 43

The day soon became a busy one, as both the Secret and ground wars hotted up for Turkey. The first news was shocking: at midnight, two more Turkish spies had been rounded up and neutralised in Italy! This temporarily brought the spy mission there to only eight agents, with just four in reserve (it would soon be just two). Ambassador Ceylan was informed straight away – and was coldly outraged.

“Whaddya mean, two more at once!?” He said with frosty anger – not directed at the messenger, but at the Italian secret police he thought had been tamed. “Double our counter-espionage effort there and halve the disruption operations. Send Cennet back down. One of the teams was taken in Naples. I want her to get Corleone onto it. Straight away.”

rvPP70.jpg

“Whaddya mean, two more at once!?” Ambassador Mike Ceylan reads the midnight report on the demise of two more Turkish agents in Italy.

By 4 am, Devyatov reported the Italian 134 Armoured Division was almost ready to give up the attack, while their 33rd Infantry was now showing signs of disorganisation. But his situation was also becoming difficult, mainly from the incessant air attacks. “Is there any relief you can provide me?” he asked in his morning despatch.

At 5 am, the latest air raid on Lussino was being conducted by two unescorted Italian TAC wings. With 7 AF (Wildcats) at 91% strength (and around 70% organisation) and the La-5s of 5 AF at 100%, they were sent in to intercept the Italian bombers. It was hoped they might do some damage before the enemy sent up their own interceptors to fend them off.

The resulting air battle started with the Turks hitting the bombers for the first hour. But then they got a very nasty surprise: three wings of Luftwaffe Me Bf 109-Es intercepted them at 7am.

Isk1OY.jpg

The air strike went in strongly, with only some minor damage done to one of the TAC wings. 5 AF was fine, but 7 AF had been reduced to 58% strength as had lost almost all cohesion. The interception mission was cancelled.

The next Axis raid went up at 10am, with the three German fighter squadrons escorting from the start. It was simply too strong to attack with any prospect of success. 3 AG in Split was reorganised again, with 7 AF swapped out for 6 AF, which was now back to 74% strength. They stayed on the ground for now.

That morning, the 1st (Turkish) Mar Div in Sanski Most received its fourth marine brigade, bringing it to full strength (4 x MAR, 1 x ENGR). With manpower again becoming an issue for Turkey, the next purchase was for a new TAC wing: Martin B-26 Marauders, through a US licence.

4ceKDj.jpg

With concerns building over Lussino, the newly filled out (but not yet fully worked up) 2 Armd Div was ordered across, just in case.

KUswPG.jpg

Then at 2 pm, some good news was received, with the Italian 134 Armoured pulling out of their inefficient participation in the attack on Lussino. It was now down to a duel between the two infantry outfits left in the fight, but 222 SD was in trouble and 217 SD was still four provinces away in Banja Luka.

The current air raid there was being conducted by just one unescorted Italian TAC wing: the Turkish fighters in Split pounced again, it what was designed to be a single hit-and-run interception, once more trying to damage the bombers before the enemy scrambled their fighters.

d4UYRB.jpg

They did manage to cause some damage to the Italian bombers, but the three Me 109 wings struck again, this time mauling 6 AF badly, who took the brunt of the damage. It had apparently done nothing to diminish the casualties on the ground, either.

Another probe on Doboj (similar in scale to the last one) at 9 pm was viciously counter-attacked by the trusty Cakmak, the enemy stopping after two hours, with 12 Comintern and 41 Axis troops killed. The day ended with Lussino still under attack and the result in the balance.

---xxx---

8 Feb 43

The formidable 15 Inf Div arrived in Sanski Most at 3 am, with 1 US Mar Div then heading up to Novi Grad as the units along the proposed breakthrough sector continued their reorganisation. This would ensure marine units could attack the second intended breakthrough province on the Sava from two directions as well.

After their savaging by the Luftwaffe the day before, at 8 am the heavily damaged 6 AF joined its Wildcat brethren in rest and repair. This left no effective interception cover for the western Adriatic sector.

But as it happened, while Axis air strikes continued for the rest of the day, the Italians finally called off their attempt for force the straits to Lussino. Over seven days of ferocious fighting had seen the Italians take very heavy casualties on the ground. The move of 2 Armd Div from Banja Luka was halted, while 217 SD continued over to reinforce the weakened 222 SD.

AMdpYO.jpg

Ground Damage Report. It was a gallant Soviet victory in Lussino, because the toll from over eight days of bombing had been horrendous for 222 SD, with 3,420 men of the around 8,000 starting strength of the division killed. Air power had almost won an unlikely victory for the enemy.

The end of the battle for Lussino did not herald a new period of quiet on that sector of the front. MAJGEN Toüdemür reported contact at 3 pm that same afternoon: a strong attack by German and Hungarian infantry on his and 2 Mtn Div’s positions in Otocac. And, of course, with strong Axis air support. While they were entrenched and 2 Mot Div had a measure of protection through the superior armour of its T-34s, there were no natural obstacles or terrain advantages. The enemy were able to push home a vigorous assault: 2 Armd Div was again ordered to move, to take up a reserve position in Perusic.

zNtrbQ.jpg

---xxx---

9 Feb 43

The Air Force produced a strength comparison between the Me Bf 109E and the F4F Wildcat following the recent difficult air engagements. The main areas of German fighter superiority were quickly made clear. Turkey needed more and better fighters if this (and potentially newer models) was what they would have to tangle with. But none were yet available; just Wildcats and the old LaGG-3s.

de4i00.jpg

But production was roaring along, with lend-lease support high, the current production queue at 100% and the supply situation in rough balance.

f1A9LA.jpg

As the determined attack on Otocac continued, it was decided that a strong spoiling attack on Delnice might force the Hungarian 14th Division out of the fight and relieve some pressure. 6 US Mar Div and 1 Mot Div were sent into the danger zone. It met with surprising initial success, as two of the defending divisions had already been in the process of heading south-west.

pvgy4G.jpg

By 6pm, the Hungarian 14th Division had pulled out of the attack on Otocac and the other two Axis units had left Delnice, leaving the Hungarians to repel the attack alone. Rather than breaking off, the attack on Delnice was pressed.

---xxx---

10 Feb 43

At 4 am, the short battle for Delnice was over: it was a surprise victory, with only 38 Turkish and US troops lost, and 84 Hungarians killed. The decision was made to continue the advance to Delnice. 1 Mot Div would continue, with 1 Mtn Div to follow from Ogulin. 6 US Mar Div would however stay in Vrnograc, so it halted in place once the battle was won.

There was relief when 217 SD joined the battered 222 SD in Lussino at 8 am and began digging in. This shored up the western end of the line.

By 5 pm, 2 Mtn Div in Otocac was rapidly losing its organisation (down to about one-third) – not as quickly as the German 87th Infanterie (about 50%), the lead attacking unit. But while 2 Mot Div remained strong, Axis air raids there continued unchecked.

News Report, US. Mrs. Vesta Stoudt, an ordnance factory worker from Sterling, Illinois, and the mother of two sons who were in the U.S. Navy, wrote to President Roosevelt with her idea for what would become duct tape, which she described as "a strong cloth tape" that had a waterproof wax coating, designed to seal boxes of ammunition, but that could also be opened quickly. Stoudt had been unable to persuade her supervisors at the Green River Ordnance Plant that it would be an improvement over thin paper tape. Roosevelt liked the idea and on March 26, 1943, the War Production Board would inform Mrs. Stoudt that it had approved the idea.

---xxx---

11 Feb 43

At 1am, the Italian 3rd Motorised Division joined the battle for Otocac in reserve [though only 0.2% reinforcement chance]. Then at 6 am, 1 Mot Div secured Delnice. They beat off a quick probe at 7 am from a couple of Axis divisions that had been trying to reach it first (17 Turkish and 18 Axis casualties) and waited to 1 Mtn Div to arrive.

With any spring offensive clearly still some way off, 1 Armd Div was switched back west from Novi Grad (which was now well secured), to act as a general reserve in Ogulin, a central position for the three ‘hot spot’ provinces at the north of the sector, as other reinforcements made their way to their positions.

ii1ygN.jpg

But in Otocac, Türkes’ 2 Mtn Div had reached breaking point: they routed south-east at 6 pm, leaving 2 Mot Div fighting alone. But the enemy were also suffering damage and disorganisation by then.

gm4dGx.jpg

At 8 pm, 1 Mtn Div arrived in Delnice and were ordered to immediately hit the flank of Rijeka in the hope of spoiling the flagging enemy attack on Otocac. 1 Mot Div had been unable to do so due to the usual post-attack reorganisation delay. The effect was immediate.

kcOuIz.jpg

A significant but expensive victory had been won in Otocac and, despite being ambushed in their haste to attack, 1 Mtn Div was making good progress against five enemy divisions, many of whom were worn out. Once again, instead of breaking off, the attack was continued, with the relatively fresh 2 Mot Div ordered to itself attack from the south an hour later. There were hopes of an opportunistic mini breakthrough, perhaps even outflanking the Italian position on the coast in Pola. They had joined the battle by 11 pm, but there was little chance [0.3%] of a quick reinforcement. Meanwhile, the enemy’s defence was strengthen without having to fight in two battles at once.

Ground Damage Report. Three days of Axis bombing killed 1,402 Turks in Otocac, more than making up for the disparity of casualties on the ground.

OTL Event, USSR. The Soviet Union began its nuclear weapons research program, by State Defense Committee resolution signed by Josef Stalin. Physicist Igor Kurchatov was appointed as the program's director.

---xxx---

12 Feb 43

2 Armd Div arrived in Perusic at 7am, their three new mechanised brigades not yet fully battle ready (all at about 50% organisation). But with 2 Mot Div by themselves now and fears of a renewed attack, they were ordered up to bolster the defence of Otocac.

With 1 Mot Div still reorganising in Delnice, 1 Mtn Div bleeding casualties, 2 Mot Div only in reserve and the Axis having struck from the air all day, the opportunistic attack on Rijeka was called off at 5 pm. It had proven a very expensive and unproductive gamble.

ZMz1Ae.jpg

---xxx---

13 Feb 43

Midnight was celebrated in Naples by Tommy ‘Two Guns’ DeVito neutralising the last of the remaining Italian counter-intelligence agents in Italy. Mission setting reverted to their emphasis on undermining Italian national unity first, spy-hunting second.

IN95dM.jpg

Axis air raids on Delnice had continued after the Turkish attack was called off. The reason soon became apparent, with a heavy Axis attack from the Karlovac beginning at 1 pm. The dangerous 5th Heavy Panzer Division was leading it, its Tigers easily out-gunning the old BT-7s 'medium' tanks of 1 Mot Div. An attempt was made to spoil this dangerous attack with a spoiling attack, which was to be launched by 17 Inf Div and the 6 US Mar Div from Vrnograc.

7FDbYq.jpg

But that attack got off to a disastrous start, when Köldecan’s reckless assault was counter-attacked. And the Marines were not there at the line of departure with them, meaning they fought alone.

“What has happened?” snapped the HQ 1st Army operations officer at Major ‘Wraith’ Loggins

“I’ve just heard from General Walker of the 6th,” he replied, getting off the field telephone. “They were still reorganising from that last spoiling attack and are simply not yet ready for another quick attack so soon. There’s just nothing else to be done about it, I’m afraid.”

The Army HQ staff were aghast: it was their fault, they should have known that would be the case. They had not wanted to use 3 Mtn Div as it was to be the dug-in firm foot on the ground, given how many times Vrnograc had been attacked in the recent past.

“My apologies, Major Loggins, that was our fault. I know your comrades would not hesitate to enter the danger zone if able to.”

The ill-starred spoiling attack was called off at 8 pm, the Turks losing 136 men for 86 Axis casualties and having failed to make much of an impression. And it meant Delnice continued to get a frightful pummelling.

1 Armd Div arrived in Ogulin at 5pm and began moving forward to reinforce 1 Mot Div. But the proud 1 Mtn Div was ordered out of Delnice before it broke, to begin recovering and rebuilding its entrenchments in Ogulin.

X5lePo.jpg

---xxx---

14 Feb 43

At midnight, 2 Mtn Div pulled into Perusic, still badly damaged and disorganised after their recent experience in Otocac, but Türkes was ordered straight back to the front. They could dig in and try to recover on the front line, as concerns about the likely loss of Delnice and a renewed attack on Otocac increased. All able-bodied men would be required to man the trenches.

And at 10 am, Kanatli was ordered out of Delnice before he lost any more men. 1 Armd Div held in place in Ogulin and, like 1 Mtn Div, began digging in as they waited for 1 Mot Div to join them. It had been yet another costly defeat, with the opportunistic ploy to secure the hills of Delnice failing.

2k0Vth.jpg

Ground Damage Report. Three days of Axis bombing killed a further 955 Turks in Delnice, adding more pain to an already steep casualty count.

In better news from the Far East, 16 Inf Div had caught up with their comrades in Chokpar and were advancing as a group again towards Bakanas, where the front line had again been pushed forward by the Soviets. This part of the enemy line was largely manned by Manchurian militia and seemed to be more interested in fleeing than fighting.

OqPrcn.jpg

OTL Event, Tunisia. The Battle of the Kasserine Pass began as German General Erwin Rommel and his Afrika Korps launched a surprise offensive against Allied defences in Tunisia, giving the United States Army their first major battle defeat of the war, the loss of six battalions of the U.S. Second Corps.

---xxx---

15 Feb 43

The enemy (via 5 Hvy Pz Div) reoccupied Delnice at midnight, while advance patrols detected a new Axis attack forming in Rijeka to hit Otocac. But the attack ended up being a weak probe by a single Italian motorised division, while 2 Armd Div had by then reinforced 2 Mot Div to bolster the defence. It was given up after five hours, with 116 Italian troops killed for only five Turkish casualties.

Ground Damage Report. Unfortunately, a day of air strikes on Otocac proved more effective, killing 261 men on the ground.

On the other side of the front, seemingly out of the blue came a determined attack by German and Hungarian troops across the Danube on Turnu Severin. ‘New boy’ MAJGEN Öktem had command of the battle with 18 Inf Div, the weakened 3 Cav Div in support. The numbers were roughly even: the Turks were alert, not alarmed.

wHhk0N.jpg

By midday, the attack on Turnu Severin continued. Romanian Agent RasaUrs75 was asked for a report on the general state of the Romanian front. In fact, things were looking quite good, with more Romanian advances than retreats, especially into the good defensive terrain of the Carpathian Mountains.

7zPAo9.jpg

GRU Liaison SkitalecS3 advised the Axis continued to advance slowly but largely unchecked in the north of the Ladoga Sector, but the Soviets had found some success in pushing them back to the south of Lake Ladoga. And Finland still remained neutral.

MMbNln.jpg

The news was even better further south, especially in the Vitsyebsk-Minsk Sector, where a Soviet offensive had gained ground on a wide front and had just defeated the German defenders who has tried to hold Minsk itself from the advancing Red Army.

0VtmRK.jpg

The quicker 1 Mot Div beat 1 Mtn Div back to Ogulin, joining 1 Armd Div at 9 pm and starting to dig in and recover as quickly as it could from the costly defeat in Delnice.

---xxx---

16 Feb 43

This day was quieter at the front, but in Ankara, Perse was feeling rather put upon. One of Kaya’s Secret Police Captains and an offsider had baled her up at the Propaganda Department.

“Miss Fungifips, we would like you to, ah, use your, um, feminine wiles to befriend the Military Attaché at the US Embassy,” this all made even the Secret Policeman a little uncomfortable, talking as he was to one of the female icons of the Turkish war effort. But it didn’t stop him.

“What exactly are you talking about, my good man?” replied Perse rather primly. She may be young and pretty, but Perse was neither naïve nor a shrinking violet.

“Find out whatever you can about America’s views and intentions. Maybe even allow us to capture him in a compromising position. A few choice photos to, ah, persuade him to let us in on a few secrets. You get the idea. We thought up the codename 'the Blue Dahlia' for you. Whatever it takes for the war effort, eh?” he finished lamely.

As Perse looked more uncomfortable and (though she disguised it well) angry, the officer turned and muttered something towards the plain clothes police sergeant who had accompanied him. Perse thought she heard the words “bal tuzağı”, but couldn’t be sure. Honey trap!?

“While I am working as hard as I can for the war effort, I will not suffer the indignity of having my honour impugned in such a … dashed unchivalrous way! I do my best work vertically, thank you very much. Good day to you, gentlemen!” A honey pot indeed – how dare they, Perse fumed to herself.

93vrVF.jpg

Perse being pressured by Kaya’s Secret Police: “Whatever it takes for the war effort, eh?” “Dashed unchivalrous!”

The feared new attack came on Otocac at 7 pm that evening. Already reorganised after their latest attack on Delnice, 5 Hvy Pz Div now launched a reckless assault, though not fully recovered yet. The Germans may have been heavily outnumbered in terms of men, but the Turks had no answer to the Tigers that led the assault.

tW8gP4.jpg

---xxx---

17 Feb 43

2 Mtn Div arrived back in Otocac at midnight, but they were barely recovered and had no chance [literally – 0.0%] of actually reinforcing the combat.

At 9 am, victory came in Turnu Severin after two days of unexpectedly heavy fighting. Casualties were heavy on both sides, but the Axis had suffered significantly more losses trying to make their river crossing.

rXJjFQ.jpg

In Otocac, the air strikes started up again that morning as well, adding to the misery of the defenders. There were up to four Italian TAC wings taking part in each one.

And then the Italian 3rd Motorised Division arrived in reserve [though only 0.3% reinforcement chance] to support the 5th Heavy Pz Division at 10 am. Despite this, the German panzer division was also suffering wear and tear, as were the Turks.

---xxx---

18 Feb 43

At 1 am, increasingly concerned about the position in Otocac, 1 Armd Div in Ogulin and 17 Inf Div (finished their post-attack reorganisation but still not fully recovered from their previous failed spoiling attack) in Vrnograc were given a warning order for a spoiling attack on 5 Hvy Pz Div in Delnice, but it would not be launched unless necessary.

Possibility became necessity at 7 pm that evening, when the Italian 3rd Mot Div joined the attack on Otocac, just as 5 Hvy Pz Div had been weakening – so too was the Turkish 2Armd Div.

2Z7qOK.jpg

Wehib Pasha took command of the spoiling attack on Delnice, trying to pitch 5 Hvy Pz Div out of the attack on Otocac. They struck at 8 pm after Wehib executed a masterful blitz on the three defending Axis divisions, who sought to fight a delaying action.

News Report, Berlin, Germany. As Otocac-Delnice battle raged, in Berlin in a speech at the Berlin Sportpalast and on nationwide radio, German Propaganda Minister Joseph Goebbels was calling on listeners to devote themselves to "Total War" (Der Totalekrieg) against the Anti-Fascist Powers.

Z1gj4L.jpg

The loathsome Goebbels at the Berlin Sportpalast, 18 February 1943. He will get very short shrift if either Turkey or the Soviet Union get a hold of him. He seeks Total War: Turkey’s pledge is that he will see Total Defeat and a Comintern World Order!

As 18 February drew to a close, 1 Mtn Div finally finished its earlier retreat from Delnice at 11pm, passing through the attacking 1 Armd Div and straggling into Ogulin to begin their recovery. The fate of Otocac remained in the balance, as did the spoiling attack on Delnice. And the Italian bombers still pounded away on the sorely beset defenders of Otocac.

Ground Damage Report. The first two days of renewed air attacks on Otocac had already killed 1,026 defenders. And the airial bombardment was not over yet.

---xxx---

Coming Up: Will the Axis succeed in Otocac this time round? Will the Axis pummelling of the Turkish lines continue – acting as the ‘shock absorber’ of the Comintern during this period? What does all this mean for the rest of the Patriotic Front, as the Axis vent their fury on the Turks?

Where is Tyler Durden at the moment, as the US Marines start to figure more prominently in combat operations in the Adriatic Sector? And will he be introduced to Major Kenny ‘Wraith’ Loggins at any point?

What of the Secret War in Turkey – will the British MI6 double agents make any moves? And can Calixte ‘Romeo’ Charon make any further discoveries for David Callan? What practical effect will the Turkish espionage mission in Italy have, and can they keep all their Mafia associates in line?

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
The fighting in the Western Adriatic is indeed very fierce. The villainous Axis have clearly determined they wish to break through. And yet ...

This is a sign of success. The more efforts the vile enemy concentrate against the Glorious Union here hopefully the greater advantage our Soviet allies can take of the situation. The advance towrads Minsk on a fairly broad front is surely a hopeful sign. What not (at leatst) part of the logic of our offensive operations to draw attention away from the Soviet front? The small pockets we had formed will have thinned out the units available to the stinking fascists. It is all surely going according to the Grand Plan

Reactions:
The fighting in the Western Adriatic is indeed very fierce. The villainous Axis have clearly determined they wish to break through. And yet ...
... you are right. It has been a savage fight, and while territory has generally been held, the monthly summary will show the cost in precious manpower. But, as you say ...
This is a sign of success. The more efforts the vile enemy concentrate against the Glorious Union here hopefully the greater advantage our Soviet allies can take of the situation. The advance towrads Minsk on a fairly broad front is surely a hopeful sign. What not (at leatst) part of the logic of our offensive operations to draw attention away from the Soviet front? The small pockets we had formed will have thinned out the units available to the stinking fascists. It is all surely going according to the Grand Plan
It is. The latest offensive was, like a few before them, in large part designed to put pressure on the Axis and divert them to enable our Allies to stop and roll back the enemy in Romania and Russia. We take turns being the sword and shield.

But there are only so many casualties we can afford to take - the Germans aren’t the only ones with overstretched manpower reserves, while Italy in particular has legions (pun intended) of men in reserve.

I’m minded a little of Britain post D-Day compared to the US. We may be forced to delay our next offensive as much to recover manpower (if the Germans let us) as waiting for reorganisation and better weather. The true cost of their air assault in particular this month will make for sobering reading in the next episode.

Whether it was worth it will depend on what the Soviets and Romanians may have been able to achieve while we’ve been absorbing this increased attention. Part of the Grand Plan was also for the Soviets to use their almost limitless MP to grind down the Germans. Is it working? No spoiler for the next chapter. ;)

Reactions:
Perse being pressured by Kaya’s Secret Police: “Whatever it takes for the war effort, eh?” “Dashed unchivalrous!”

Kaya...

She was already serving as an unintentional honeypot. That was the whole point! It was more effective when she was genuinely just being polite to foreign diplomats and they formed good opinions of turkey as a result.

The Turkish intelligence service doesn't do subtlety it seems.

Reactions:
Major Kenny Loggins and the Marines taking the danger zone by storm is just what Turkey needs to boost morale even further and launch an offensive across the Sava.

The Germans really do have a big edge in Fighter development over both the Soviet Union and the USA. With this information in mind, the Turkish policy of not buying any more fighter licences until one of them matches the Bf-109E makes a lot of sense. Turkey is really suffering under the Axis Air Strikes, Lussino especially. I do think it's a direct consequence of your success, as Turkish lines are now closer to larger, pre-war, Air Bases of both Italy and Germany.

B-26 bombers are quite a step up from the Yak-4s and Bristol Blenheims. Definitely worth buying a license for those, especially as there are no competitive fighters on the market right now. (If only the US would sell licences for B-26 to 'Odin's Soviet Union...)

Spy losses in Italy were annoying, but it seems SITH was on top of things quite quickly. With Cennet returning to Sicily, and Danny Devito getting to work, Italian spy-hunters find themselves being hunted, and that's definitely a good thing.

It looks that, instead of launching an offensive of it's own, the Turkish Army has managed to blunt a Axis offensive instead. The small gains made in Delnice were soon rolled back as Axis forces were concentrated in the area, but the enemy exhausted it's forces to take back this territory, and the Turkish Army is now back to it's previous lines, where reserves were already digging in. In short, a stalemate, and if it weren't for Axis aerial bombardment, one which favours Turkish ground forces.

Meanwhile, in Romania, the Axis is being pushed back. It may be somewhat frustrating that the Turkish Army has been forced to hold in place despite the success of previous operations, but every German Division you pin down can't fight the Romanians or our own Red Army. It seems the Axis is taking the Turkish threat very seriously, moving troops and state of the art Aircraft to the Adriatic front, and that's great news, because the line is thinning elsewhere.

Maj. General Diskoerekto is proving to be a quick learner. He may well go very far if he keeps improving at this rate.

I have to say, the Turkish Army apologising to the USMC shows just how serious Turkey takes inter-Comintern military cooperation.

In the East, things are moving quite quickly, with the Manchukuans on the run. Maybe Turkey could pull a Division off the line there, as the Red Army seems to have things in hand, for now.

I have to agree with Kelebek (who doesn't), Perse doesn't seem like the kind of lady who will lower herself to becoming a crude honey pot. Also, if she wants to, she's smart and attractive enough to get a lot of information without going anywhere near horizontality.

The Turkish intelligence service doesn't do subtlety it seems.
SITH and the dark lord Butterfly more than make up for the ineptitude of Kaya's 'Intelligence' service.

Of course, we'd all like to see another grand Turkish offensive, but if it has to wait for Turkish forces to hold their ground against King Tigers fresh of the train, then so be it, I'm sure the Red Army is glad it doesn't have to face those particular Tigers. Onward to the Danger zone!

Semper Fi,

SkitalecS3

What's bugged about air defense in HOI3?
Take a look at this. I only found this out quite recently as results from aerial combat in my game didn't show Ftr to be more vulnerable than the defensiveness value would suggest, especially compared to Int. According to this thread, and I have no reason to distrust the information contained therein, it looks like Air Defence does close to nothing, and this is (almost) impossible to fix by modding.
Does defensivness and toughness work now? If so, how do they work?

Reactions:
Maj. General Diskoerekto is proving to be a quick learner. He may well go very far if he keeps improving at this rate.

He's one of the few forward commanders who has a garuntee from goverment assassination so it really is his war to lose.

I have to agree with Kelebek (who doesn't),

Not many amongst the living.

SITH and the dark lord Butterfly more than make up for the ineptitude of Kaya's 'Intelligence' service.

Yes but we are 'barred from the interior'. No wetwork in Turkey proper. This is presumably to stop politicians worrying about the assassination part of our remit but also because we have egotistical blowhards heading up Turkish home intelligence. I fully expect that SITH will eventually breach this in peacetime and become the secret police for the whole of the republics. No one is breaking away from the motherland with the black wings of SMERSH and SITH hovering overhead.

Of course, we'd all like to see another grand Turkish offensive, but if it has to wait for Turkish forces to hold their ground against King Tigers fresh of the train, then so be it, I'm sure the Red Army is glad it doesn't have to face those particular Tigers. Onward to the Danger zone!

The turkish offensive still hasn't finished since we're still advancing and the germans are still trying to press back the attack. What we really want is russia to really start a huge offensive to relieve pressure on their flanks. This should be easier now it looks like Finland is sitting out the war (though they could always jump in later for dumb reasons).

With the US moving in to more closely work with the Turks in their push to the Alps, Russia is presumably going to try to counterbalance this with some goodies or war contribution of their own.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've got to say, it's going to take awhile for the Marines to get appropriately "spun up" to the levels of their Turkish comrades, especially when they didn't have the level of ever increasing combat operations of OTL.

That said...
Danger. Zone.

Reactions:
Once again we see the control of the skies is one of the most important things and the thing we lack most (still). Can we check if our allies are at least researching those 1943 fighter techs?

At the same time, the Italians launched an attack across the straits from Pola to Lussino. The Italian armour was badly suited to the purpose (in fact were almost useless), but the infantry of their 33rd Division was far more effective. MAJGEN Devyatov of 222 SD was confident of holding, even though outnumbered. But the battle would continue for longer than the Comintern expected.
In a battle which unproportional losses are expected, it being long is a good thing for us I guess

The probe earlier that morning having been quickly called off, a new attack on Vrnograc by Italian light armour was launched at 4am. It would last for ten hours before being called off, the enemy having been handed a bloody lesson. MAJGEN Diskoerekto had found the two combats that day most instructive: he felt he had progressed to another level of efficiency.
Vur Ha!

Ground Damage Report. It was a gallant Soviet victory in Lussino, because the toll from over eight days of bombing had been horrendous for 222 SD, with 3,420 men of the around 8,000 starting strength of the division killed. Air power had almost won an unlikely victory for the enemy.
of course I didn't take air assaults into account in my previous analysis. This has been really a thorn in the side with strong Luftwaffe interceptor coverage.

The ill-starred spoiling attack was called off at 8 pm, the Turks losing 136 men for 86 Axis casualties and having failed to make much of an impression. And it meant Delnice continued to get a frightful pummelling.
Just bad luck, we'll turn this around

And at 10 am, Kanatli was ordered out of Delnice before he lost any more men. 1 Armd Div held in place in Ogulin and, like 1 Mtn Div, began digging in as they waited for 1 Mot Div to join them. It had been yet another costly defeat, with the opportunistic ploy to secure the hills of Delnice failing.
Good call; although, do you think 1 Armd could've held it if it continued its move to arrive before the Germans?

GRU Liaison SkitalecS3 advised the Axis continued to advance slowly but largely unchecked in the north of the Ladoga Sector, but the Soviets had found some success in pushing them back to the south of Lake Ladoga. And Finland still remained neutral.
I hope we can at least hold the lines along the rivers Svir and Vyg in the North. Thus, if all goes well in the South of Lake Ladoga, we can bag a hell lot of Axis troops including armor in unfavorable terrain.

The news was even better further south, especially in the Vitsyebsk-Minsk Sector, where a Soviet offensive had gained ground on a wide front and had just defeated the German defenders who has tried to hold Minsk itself from the advancing Red Army.
Excellent news. I'm wondering if the Luftwaffe pounding us came from there relieving that front? In fact, there doesn't seem to be another front on which Axis is focusing on, it's only the Adriatic sector. And tough as it is, we can still take it and not break. If that's all they got, they'd better start preparing for a few thousand miles of withdrawal.

As Perse looked more uncomfortable and (though she disguised it well) angry, the officer turned and muttered something towards the plain clothes police sergeant who had accompanied him. Perse thought she heard the words “bal tuzağı”, but couldn’t be sure. Honey trap!?

“While I am working as hard as I can for the war effort, I will not suffer the indignity of having my honour impugned in such a … dashed unchivalrous way! I do my best work vertically, thank you very much. Good day to you, gentlemen!” A honey pot indeed – how dare they, Perse fumed to herself.
This one is a bit difficult :) There's no specific phrase for the honey pot or honey trap as meant in spycraft context. I'm trying to remember what they say in moves etc, but I guess they just describe it as a mere trap. Now, bal küpü would be the literal translation of a honey pot, and bal tuzağı indeed means a honey trap. Another way would be ballı tuzak which literally means trap with honey. As I said, none are phrases in use and would be an invention but inventing words or phrases is more accepted in Turkish than any other language I know, so I give my approval to bal tuzağı :)

The feared new attack came on Otocac at 7 pm that evening. Already reorganised after their latest attack on Delnice, 5 Hvy Pz Div now launched a reckless assault, though not fully recovered yet. The Germans may have been heavily outnumbered in terms of men, but the Turks had no answer to the Tigers that led the assault.
I'm expecting a backhand blow from the redoubtable Toüdemür!

Wehib Pasha took command of the spoiling attack on Delnice, trying to pitch 5 Hvy Pz Div out of the attack on Otocac. They struck at 8 pm after Wehib executed a masterful blitz on the three defending Axis divisions, who sought to fight a delaying action.
Kudos to the old guard Wehib Pasha, that's one of the best moves to pull

With manpower again becoming an issue for Turkey, the next purchase was for a new TAC wing: Martin B-26 Marauders, through a US licence.
An excellent buy, but I wonder if USA has the Double Wasp engines to put in the B26s, why don't they have F8F Bearcats or P47 Thunderbolts?

Kaya literally means rock. I like to imagine him as a rock fisted person (as in ham fisted). He lacks any kind of flair.

What to say, I've always been a quick learner when I'm on the job :D A war of this size is a horrible thing, but it's also the quickest way to learn the art of warfare.

I have to agree with Kelebek (who doesn't), Perse doesn't seem like the kind of lady who will lower herself to becoming a crude honey pot. Also, if she wants to, she's smart and attractive enough to get a lot of information without going anywhere near horizontality.
Yes, as I said before, when you let the flies in the honey pot, it's no use any more. One has to just plant the honeypot where she attracts the flies, and should catch the flies when they come near. Any horizontality is diametrically opposed to this method of operation.

He's one of the few forward commanders who has a garuntee from goverment assassination so it really is his war to lose.
I do have that guarantee, right? We've always been good ever since that dropping from ceiling incident :D

Reactions:
Oh Man! Real life hit me a lot last months. I try to catch up soon, now, so I can comment again with some relation to the story.
No worries! Great to have you back. Feel free to comment on earlier chapters as you go, if you wish, I always welcome it. And I won't 'spoil' in any responses. ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Dear Bullfilter, excellent war report with very nice graphics (as always), and more or less historical details (of course, your history is counterfactual enough). The whole story is thrilling. I have to recognise, I never thought Turkey was a playable nation, but you proved otherways. And THAT Lend-Lease made a major power out of Turkey! From 93 IC to 196... Incredible.

Can you explain the mechanics of Lend-Lease? Did you have to tag to a superpower (GB, USSR, USA) to receive it? Is Germany ever giving Lend-Lease to its allies? How can a human played minor power (like Turkey) benefit from Lend-Lease?

I have read about the massive scale of American (and to a lesser extent British) Lend-Lease to the Soviet Union, which supposedly, helped the Soviets recover from the excruciating losses from 1941-1942, and made possible a Russian victory on the Eastern Front.

And how can one insert his own pics for cities, weapons, battle outcomes, events etc. in the game windows?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I do have that guarantee, right?

Uh...yes?

Turkey doesn't have a political culture that makes frontline commanders massive potential threats to the government like in Stalin's russia so I doubt the cabinet will be ordering anyone to be vanished anytime soon.

Then again if someone were to either turn traitor or fuck up the line so much we get pushed back in Yugoslavia...a gentlemanly suicide might be arranged.

Reactions:
Dear Bullfilter, excellent war report with very nice graphics (as always), and more or less historical details (of course, your history is counterfactual enough). The whole story is thrilling. I have to recognise, I never thought Turkey was a playable nation, but you proved otherways. And THAT Lend-Lease made a major power out of Turkey! From 93 IC to 196... Incredible.
Thank you! It’s funny, I picked Turkey so I could micro manage and still write it all up, thinking the whole thing might be a quick and quite modest exercise. That was over three years of pretty constant writing ago! :D:rolleyes: And the lend-lease is definitely great to have.

Can you explain the mechanics of Lend-Lease? Did you have to tag to a superpower (GB, USSR, USA) to receive it? Is Germany ever giving Lend-Lease to its allies? How can a human played minor power (like Turkey) benefit from Lend-Lease?
They can offer it to you, but basically there is an option in the diplomatic screen to request it as a mission. It will tell you how likely it is to succeed before you have to commit the diplomatic team. Then you need either a shared border or convoy route. The other power decides how much you get. USSR and USA are in the same pact, so that was obvious. But the UK has been very generous too - I guess it was enough for them that we leapt into the fight against Germany. No tagging involved - I just take what the game gave me. The Germans or any other Axis power could do the same, but I don’t know if there are. It might be in the diplo window for them if they give or take LL - I can’t recall without the game open in front of me.

I have read about the massive scale of American (and to a lesser extent British) Lend-Lease to the Soviet Union, which supposedly, helped the Soviets recover from the excruciating losses from 1941-1942, and made possible a Russian victory on the Eastern Front.
I’m pretty sure it was crucial, given how far the Germans got.

And how can one insert his own pics for cities, weapons, battle outcomes, events etc. in the game windows?
So I do it all manually, as I edit the screenshots. I mainly just use good old MS paint, plus PowerPoint. The standard pictures (battle results, some events etc) I just have an image saved in either paint or PowerPoint and cut and paste it in, often after colouring over the dialogue buttons, just for presentation neatness. Having a bunch of those speeds up the process a little.

The unique ones (like the little pictures I use for battle or event screens) I search out, copy and paste into PowerPoint, then resize there: the quality is a lot better there than trying to do it via paint, where they come up badly pixelated or distorted. They are then just copied and pasted back in. The lines and unit outlines etc are all done simply in paint. Anything more complicated, I copy the map into PowerPoint, use it’s more sophisticated graphics to pretty things up, then paste the whole lot back into paint as a finished product.

ps: a lot of those battle start summaries that have the percentages and other details in are actually composed of up to 8-10 separate screenshots, where the mouse-over boxes are captured, then cut and pasted one by one into the main illustration. I’d probably take about 400-500 screenshots per game month, though many of those are for stats or reminders of things that happened (air raids, things being delivered or arriving, etc). The edited illustrations are basically my story boards for each chapter.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Thank you! It’s funny, I picked Turkey so I could micro manage and still write it all up, thinking the whole thing might be a quick and quite modest exercise. That was over three years of pretty constant writing ago! :D:rolleyes: And the lend-lease is definitely great to have.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, HOI era Turkey is ideal AAR fodder. Just big enough to have a domestic civilian and military industry. Just big enough to have a potentially potent armed forces. Naturally central location to every pressure point in europe, africa and the middle east. Neutral, so can go wherever the author wants. Simple enough to defend but hard to expand.

In other words, a tailor made ensemble darkhorse that given good treatment by a good author, will attract a lot of attention from commenters because of the sheer scale of possibilities.

• 1Like
Reactions: