• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(284289)

Private
1 Badges
Mar 14, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
Hello all!

This is my first AAR, inspired by the many amazing AARs here. I'm also writing so I can keep playing, from start to finish, a game of Crusader Kings. This will be a history book/narrative hybrid style AAR. The intrigues, wars, and struggles of the Thorfinnson Dynasty will be chronicled, a year at a time, by this AAR. This post will serve as a table of contents style page, so expect updates every now and than to this post.

Also, I cannot claim credit for any of the pictures used. I do not own any of them. Just felt I should say that now, rather than leave it out.

Thank you very much for reading! :D
If you liked it, did not like it, or anywhere in between, leave a post and tell me what was good, horrible, etc.! Cheers!

Last edited:
Tales of the Unforgiving North, part 1

The wind shattered coast echoed with the crash of waves. Paul Thorfinnson rose every morn to the sound. He slept to the sound of the waves. He would die to the sound of the waves.

The squat, wooden fortress rose up from the ground, like a worn, clawed, hand. Paul’s cold, barren, court was empty of sound. No fires warmed the cold bones of the servants. No fire warmed Paul’s hunched form. The court was empty.

antony-sher-richard-iii.jpg

+++

Deep in the heart of winter, in the year of the Lord 1066, Paul awoke. Something had changed. His manner was different. A flame burned in his eyes. Today, He thought, ambition ablaze deep in his soul, Today is the day the Skalds shall sing of; today is when I will make my name known throughout the world.

Bragi.jpg

Paul strode the halls of his fort. The lone priest, Jon Larssen, who tended to the spiritual needs of the castle, was in his chapel, praying before the tabernacle. Paul stood in the doorway to the chapel, silently appraising the priest. He was a good man; he loved and feared the Lord God, and, perhaps more importantly, he was utterly loyal to the Lord of the Castle.

“Your grace,” Jon said, looking up in surprise at Paul’s entrance. Morning prayers were not for another three hours.

“Father, I dreamed last night,” Paul spoke, his voice wavering with emotion and awe, his hunched form unnoticeable with the passion in his voice.

“Tell me, your grace, of this dream.”

“I saw my home. The house where Erland, my brother, and I were raised. It was burning. I wept, my family was nowhere to be seen, yet I knew they were within the house. An angel of the Lord appeared before me. He spoke, saying, ‘Serve the Lord thy God, Paul Thorfinnson, and your family will be forever remembered; they shall not perish in ignominy.’ I agreed to serve the Lord with all my heart, my soul, and my mind.”

“My son, your grace, this is an auspicious sign; though I am not an expert in reading dreams, this does, indeed, sound like the Lord speaking to you. Is this the first time this dream has come, your grace?”

“No, Father Jon. This is the seventh time I have dreamed it.”

“Truly the Lord has spoken through you. Go, and may god watch over you always, my son, your grace.”

+++

The fire blazed in the hearth. Men and women of lustful of power arrived at Paul’s court. No longer did embers live in the hearth of the Thorfinnson home. Paul’s movements became less lethargic; it was as if he had drunk from a draught of energy.

schifanoia.jpg

The Craigies family, in a state of decline, was chief among the courtiers. Their family had lost favor in the lands of the Norse, but among the fringes of the Kingdom of Norway, they were well respected for their talents.

Taking pity upon them, Paul brought Gyda, Gunnhild, and Magnus Craigies to his court. Unbeknownst to Paul, there was a reason why this family was shunned. Power-mad, they craved command, and would do anything to become powerful nobles. The Craigies cared not who gave them power, just that they got it and kept it.

Paul and all of the other courtiers were totally oblivious to this, and would be in for a nasty shock.

+++

Having spent time at the Scottish court, Paul had developed an unlikely friendship with the exile siblings, Edgar Atheling and his sister, Margaret Atheling. Malcolm, Third of his name, and King of the Scots, was fond of both the Atheling family and Paul and Erland, his stepsons; thus, when Paul proposed his marriage to Margaret, Malcolm agreed, and upon February 1, 1067, Margaret and Paul were married.

MargaretScot.jpg

Paul continued to thrive, his demesne paying him great amounts of gold in taxes. Life was good in the Orkney Islands. The land was at peace. Yet internally, Paul writhed in agony. He was tormented by dreams from the Lord, telling him to bring fire and sword to the Scots. Soon, the Duke of Moray, chafing under the reign of Malcolm III, would revolt.

Paul knew that when he did, the daemon of ambition would rear its head and he would be powerless within its grasp.

To any readers who enjoyed this AAR: I am sad to announce that the save file was corrupted and thus I won't be able to continue as that really discouraged me. :(

However, if you enjoyed this, than you should check out my next AAR project involving EU3 Complete. Cheers for all the reads!

Last edited: