• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice to see one of the great lines of British comedy make an appearance :)

It appears that the mental health issues are slowly migrating from Earth upwards...

Heh. Boris got buggered. <Snork>

Poor Rafe is not having a good time of it. It's a nice change of pace to see Harry coasting and his opposition stumbling. We haven't heard from Astarte lately, of course...

PS: Will have to lookup gingham. Don't know exactly what it is, but it doesn't sound very celestial to me. ;)

I think the waiting room for hell alternates between patches of gingham and paisley.

Now Rafael has me questioning Harry's motives as well. If this all has been some elaborate ploy on the part of Harry, very well done on his part. I truly did not think him capable of it. I don't think anyone did. Boris being sent to hell for reasons of lust based upon an affair or two sets a rather dangerous precedent. ah well, Bugra is one to watch. With a name like that, alongside his own early murderous tendencies when dealing with family, it seems as if he shall prove a truly able Rurikovich.

With a name like that, alongside his own early murderous tendencies when dealing with family, it seems as if he shall prove a truly able Rurikovich.

Has he set a new record for youngest Rurikovich to kill off a family member?

So, what is this second circle all about? :p

well its one below where you'll find your odd virtuous pagan, sort of grouped with the sins of gluttony, as Hell goes not too bad really

Nice to see one of the great lines of British comedy make an appearance :)

It appears that the mental health issues are slowly migrating from Earth upwards...

I just felt it channelling through my keyboard, but it is better when said with the proper voice

Heh. Boris got buggered. <Snork>

Poor Rafe is not having a good time of it. It's a nice change of pace to see Harry coasting and his opposition stumbling. We haven't heard from Astarte lately, of course...

PS: Will have to lookup gingham. Don't know exactly what it is, but it doesn't sound very celestial to me. ;)

Gingham was v popular in some parts of the Uk in the 1970s, its the sort of thing that drove people like me to Punk Rock to be honest. Don't worry Astarte is a busy wee lassie in the next update ...

I think the waiting room for hell alternates between patches of gingham and paisley.

now if you said Cumbernauld and Paisley you'd have been geographically spot on too

Now Rafael has me questioning Harry's motives as well. If this all has been some elaborate ploy on the part of Harry, very well done on his part. I truly did not think him capable of it. I don't think anyone did. Boris being sent to hell for reasons of lust based upon an affair or two sets a rather dangerous precedent. ah well, Bugra is one to watch. With a name like that, alongside his own early murderous tendencies when dealing with family, it seems as if he shall prove a truly able Rurikovich.

Yes someone needs to stop Rafaels own version of 'Prison Works' or Hell will be rather full rather soon

Has he set a new record for youngest Rurikovich to kill off a family member?

He also pulls off an another killing before he's 14 & gets declared a saint ... but thats all too come

I just remembered that Morningsider asked for a world view - well here's 3 maps of Russia, W Europe and the Middle East. As you can see a number of major powers have established themselves (I think thats a design consequence of the 'cowardly' AI level I'm using):

update either in a few hours or tomorrow - it depends on how fast I can write a piece on the Austrian School of Economics without (a) starting to foam at the mouth (b) writing b*ll*cks instead or (c) entering a state of entropy. This is what happens when someone who has had no involvement in a project gets involved at the last moment :(

Bugra 1365-1370, in which he is a perfect little bugra

Scene 1: Outside the Court

Raphael is walking (in a depressed way) to the Court

Harry and Astarte are arguing in the corridor,
as he comes close they fall silent

Astarte says

"you know, for once you maybe right" and falls silent again

None of this improves his mood

Astarte then completes the sentence, after reflecting a bit

"but if it wasn't you, and it definitely wasn't me, then someone else is trying to muscle in our territory?"

"but in any case ... this wasn't even worth trying"

yeah well, Aste my dear

I'm NOT your dear, I'm the one in charge of Hell

well whatever, just don't go harming my carefully selected Bishops again

only if you stop exiling my little darlings

Scene 2: The Court

Raphael enters and finds the clerks chatting with Ukko. When they see him, they fall silent.

This does not improve his mood.

The start of Bugra's trial is delayed as Raphael is not happy with the accuracy of the papers.

I don't understand how he goes from this to this, in 4 years, before he is even 14?

and even for a Rurikovich Marshall this really does not make sense at all

Harry leans over (spreading his halitosis) as if to help

"well you made him a saint – at least I presume that was you?"

Yes

Well he obviously took it to heart

Raphael looks again

"but why was he stressed then?"

Harry checks that the big flaming sword is out of reach before he asks the clerks to bring the file over

"do you mean you missed this?"

"I reckon your little saint to be saw the chance to expand his realm back into Anatolia with but a single murder" .... Harry looks approvingly ... "seemed to work too as an encouragement to some of the others"

Scene 3: God's personal chambers, the level of Gingham and Laura Ashley furnishings are more than any mere mortal could appreciate.

He is starting to think over Raphael's recent ravings. He is not exactly convinced that Harry has really been conducting a plot of true subtlety but is true that:

a) one archangel now prefers to run a series of dubious low taste 'entertainment' establishments in the centre of Harry's refugee camp;
b) another has gone stark raving mad.

He sighs and summons Michael, if he stays a Catholic this is his last Archangel, it maybe time to convert to Orthodoxy?[1]

How will Bugra cope with being a murdering shy saint? When Astarte refers to a child as one of her 'little darlings', just how warped are they? Who else may be taking an interest in the lives of the Rurikovichs

[1] - in which case he could call on Uriel, Selaphiel, Jegudiel, and Barachiel in case of need​

and even for a Rurikovich Marshall this really does not make sense at all...
[in reference to the blind marshall's martial prowess]

Did I not already make a weak remark about Rutger Hauer in Blind Fury in this story? It feels like I did...

Since Saints obviously are not murderous bastards (I'm weak on theology, but I'm reasonably sure that murdering and sainting are mutually exclusive), it must logically follow that Cagri's death was not a murder. Cagri must've been a dragon in disguise. Or perhaps Bugra had him cut into pieces to share with the needy poor. Or whatever saintly thing it is that saints do.

Whether intentionally or not, Harry's corrupting influence in Heaven is formidable. He might not be getting the choice people for Hell, but he's sure doing a bang-up job of bringing heaven and its denizens down to his level. :)

[in reference to the blind marshall's martial prowess]

Did I not already make a weak remark about Rutger Hauer in Blind Fury in this story? It feels like I did...

Since Saints obviously are not murderous bastards (I'm weak on theology, but I'm reasonably sure that murdering and sainting are mutually exclusive), it must logically follow that Cagri's death was not a murder. Cagri must've been a dragon in disguise. Or perhaps Bugra had him cut into pieces to share with the needy poor. Or whatever saintly thing it is that saints do.

Whether intentionally or not, Harry's corrupting influence in Heaven is formidable. He might not be getting the choice people for Hell, but he's sure doing a bang-up job of bringing heaven and its denizens down to his level. :)

It also put me in mind of that wierd Japanese film about a blind samurai, its not Zoltan (isn't that the demon in Ghostbusters?) but something like that.

Best to regard Harry as your archtype of the 'holding midfielder' he don't create much but he sures brings everyone else down to his level

Doesn't murdering relatives bring you infamy?
IIRC, only when you get caught.

I had a huge piety hit but that was easily solved by making one of the new provinces over to some bishop or the other. Thanks to the changes above I've got some scope to operate (with my cash reserves if I can hold my reputation at about -6 or so, things should be relatively stable), so hopefully the wee bugra has scope to shine.

Next update some time next week (my partner has to work over the festive period and I've got no work at the moment), so since ice-climbing on your own is not much fun (or safe), should get some hours in ...

anyway, from Harry, Astarte, Gabriel, Raphael and all the Rurikovichs past, present and future, I'd like to wish all the readers and commentators to this rather wierd AAR best wishes - may you be lucky enough to spend time with people who mean as much to you as you do to them

Roger

(satanic laughing in the background)

anyway, from Harry, Astarte, Gabriel, Raphael and all the Rurikovichs past, present and future, I'd like to wish all the readers and commentators to this rather wierd AAR best wishes - may you be lucky enough to spend time with people who mean as much to you as you do to them

Roger

Cheers! I'll be braving European airspace in two days for just that purpose. I look forward to catching up on this when I get back (or get some extended Internet access).

Bugra is proving a considerably better Rurikovich ruler than I had hoped, his Marshal is suffering already, yet still prospering! Whilst he is busy assassinating yet more unlucky rulers!

Roger

Many thanks. Late words of a merry christmas to you, I hope it was an astoundingly good one, and an early wishes of a happy new year! I certainly hope your Hogmanay is a drink filled one!

Bugra 1370-1374, The Sainting may have been a bit early?

Scene 1: Bugra's cell.

He is waiting for his trial and worrying about what might happen.

He suspects that this might be held against him, especially as Simeon couldn't find his way out the room never mind the county

But then he could have murdered this one

but decided to wait

This alliance

was possibly a mistake

but this was only a small war, just to encourage him to become a vassal

though maybe as a saint in training I shouldn't have attacked an Archbishop? But anyway look how well it worked out with some of the others

Scene 2: 6am on New Years Day in Gabi's latest 'entertainment' venture. Harry is propping up the bar, various Demons are trying to clean up and dropping hints they'd like to go home. Some of them are using the damned to clean the floors.

Harry is a wee bit maudlin.

"You're my best friend Gabi ... at least ever since I squashed Beelzebub"

Harry slumps again ... and is woken by a banging sound

"what ...."

Odin and Freya enter

"Hi Harry, thanks for the invite, we've been a bit left out for a while"

"Invite?"

"Yes this"

Harry looks at Gabi

"Was I that drunk?"

"Yes"

"You even made it up with Astarte"

"No"

"Yes, you let her unplague her Bishop"

"anything else"

"yes [1]"

Odin hits the bar with his hammer

"Anyway its all going nicely to plan"

Scene 3: Heaven

Michael is going over the papers. He is thinking about what Raphael said. But this surely is just too obvious?

Can anything be too obvious for Harry? Has celestial competition for the Rurikovich souls just got more intense (or was it just a very good party)? What will be the result of Harry and Astarte's Union?

1 - careful readers will remember this - it could be a very important piece of information

Last edited:
Was that one of those awkward office Christmas parties I've heard so much about (ignoring for a moment that it's New Year's) that they have in the UK? ;)

While I have no doubt that Harry would do ill-advised things whilst under the influence (heck, he doesn't need any under-the-influencing for that), I don't think Astarte would be so soft... In other words, I think Harry's just created a whole lot of trouble for himself.

That Alexios could have the same kind of effect on your court as a good outbreak of the plague. Only more colorfully. And involving more bonfires. Oh yes, I shall be looking forward to his antics. :)

Are we sure Marshal Simeon is blind? Could he perhaps be holding his hands over his eyes, as his way of dealing with the terror that goes with the job?

Was that one of those awkward office Christmas parties I've heard so much about (ignoring for a moment that it's New Year's) that they have in the UK? ;)

While I have no doubt that Harry would do ill-advised things whilst under the influence (heck, he doesn't need any under-the-influencing for that), I don't think Astarte would be so soft... In other words, I think Harry's just created a whole lot of trouble for himself.

I have heard rumours they have similar parties in the Netherlands (along with a liberal use of fireworks over New Year), chance to check it out?

That Alexios could have the same kind of effect on your court as a good outbreak of the plague. Only more colorfully. And involving more bonfires. Oh yes, I shall be looking forward to his antics. :)
Another messiah?

He actually turns out a bit disappointing, brief moment of f(l)ame and off he toddles -- pity really

Are we sure Marshal Simeon is blind? Could he perhaps be holding his hands over his eyes, as his way of dealing with the terror that goes with the job?

well in the old days that would have been totally appropriate for anyone vaguely connected with the Rurikovich army, but we're now in the ultra-efficient 14th C when things are different - for some reason

I've just got back to CK section of the forum and I see I missed out on this, over 20 pages to catch up with! Will take time. I've gone through Mstislav. Crackin' stuff! And Novgorod wow! I love its unusual history.

I'm glad you're liking it. I still have a soft spot for Mstislav, those 2 'incompetent commander' events followed by the tapestry convinced me that CK is a writer's dream.

please can all readers vote in the AAR land awards, since I have had votes in all 4 CK categories in past competitions, I'll leave up to anyone who can be bothered to work out which this fits into. But please, vote for someone & use the excuse to read more widely around AAR Land - I ended up buying Mount and Blade on the strength of the AARs.

This may have some bearing on where I'll take this once I get to the end. I don't think EU3 is the way to go, but Harry and Astarte's off spring may be just what MnB has been missing?

Bugra 1374-1378, bribing his way to greatness

Scene 1: The Trial

We enter just as Bugra is finishing an explanation:

Well I'd been reading up on my family history

so

well since I had the money I decided to unify Russia by bribery

and then all these turned up, quite by choice

and then a load more

well ... almost all by choice

but that worked out pretty well too

Harry is growing impatient

So ok, we have one war that you only joined to help your vassals?

Bugra nods

No murders?

No

Are you sure?

That, oh that ... never knew why he did it ... and anyway I let this one stay alive, I mean she has to die some time soon?

Michael intervenes

Anyway I do think that Bugra should be praised for founding a new University

Harry checks, oh yes and who was to be the new Rector?

Scene 2: The wood near Hell, Harry and Astarte are arguing

well it was your choice

you were drunk

so?

anyway we need a new plan ... this one failed us

us?

yes us, we are now in this together ... after a fashion

and we need to keep this going ... at least till Odin gets bored and goes off to do whatever it is they do over there ...

Scene 3: Bugra's Cell

He's wondering how its all going. They don't seem overly interested in his dispute with Byzantium.

Or that under him the army carried on improving:

or that he has effectively unified Russia

one just can't get the credit when its due ... sigh

Will Bugra fight off depression long enough to have his war with Byzantium? Just what are they planning to teach at Kiev? Does Harry want Bugra or not?