• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
To be fair, eight years of relative peace and sanity is probably all that the realm can handle anyway...

The lad is showing unusual promise for a Rurikovich, but if he's going to be as clueless as his father was about all the courtside murders, then he'll soon come down to the level we've come to expect from this line of rulers. ;)

A nice change of pace, to see some competence for a change, but I don't know how long I could handle it! :p

I've never read more true words! Very good updates.

Very entertaining update!

I get the distinct feeling the revolving door for marshals is about to start spinning very fast...
Good couple of updates!

To be fair, eight years of relative peace and sanity is probably all that the realm can handle anyway...

The lad is showing unusual promise for a Rurikovich, but if he's going to be as clueless as his father was about all the courtside murders, then he'll soon come down to the level we've come to expect from this line of rulers. ;)

A nice change of pace, to see some competence for a change, but I don't know how long I could handle it! :p

thank you ... it seems to be a lot easier to write these when you have the usual nutty/psycho/clinically insane ruler that CK likes to give you ... bit harder when the character is fundamentally normal and anyway is so broke he can't do much in any case.

Vladimir 1115-1122, too good to be true?

[ah Vladimir … nice to see you again … Gabi is particularly interested in a few domestic events … you see the file is a bit confusing … adultery, separation and still lots of children?]

Well it wasn’t that complicated really – see the main issue was my problematic relationship with Anna, the fall out from Emelyn rather hurt my domestic life

And this in turn led on to … well this is pretty clear

Although we carried on producing children … wounds and separation not being such a problem

But it was my immediate family that caused most of the problems, in this case it appeared as if my sister had decided to take up murder, I couldn’t afford to lose her husband but this one was harder to cover up, so:

Anyway by 1121, I was able to bring Predslava back due to her husband’s heroic deeds, and anyway it was never actually clear if she had killed Irina - there was some contradictory evidence.

Oddly Vseslav, my eldest legitimate son died soon after her return and Pentti became my formal heir (although he was only 8). Seemed that Vseslav caught something nasty in the monastery. Draughty places at the best of times.

[Gabi … no I think we can discount a bit of adultery … its not like he doesn't have reasons … so its not so bad after all … still looking good overall]

And I put a lot of effort into rebuilding the realm

[that’s a really nice gesture]

Thank you

[but you were involved in some wars?]

Well really the first two were quite small

[oh we so agree … Gabi … oh yes, small wars scarcely dent the reputation]

And by about 1117, I finally started to reclaim lands lost by my father, in this case Livs which was infested with rebels

[we can understand, you invaded just to defeat the rebels?]

Yes I noticed an old file from my Grandfather’s reign when he had had to do the same. Anyway I was able to reclaim some other provinces such as

And even managed to resolve a few ongoing disputes

[see … I keep on saying he’s got the potential to be a real role model]

So I then expanded my realm by inviting Vseslav to be my vassal – if you recall it was his brother my father had assassinated.

Of course he was a bit unpredictable, and did tend to get lost quite often at the negotiations.

And at the same time, my rather promising, if bastard, child needed to be educated:

However, having earlier opted to become my vassal, Vyatichs now decided it wanted to be independent, thus sparking another round of civil war:

[that is really outrageous …such base treachery … we’ll deal with him when he arrives … he has already … oh ok]

With almost 50,000 men on my side and about 30,000 fighting for Vseslav.

Despite this, and with an eye to long term prosperity, I tried to keep the war in some bounds

Not that showing mercy helped the Bishop much in his next battle

[ah the traditional wounded commander]

well someone had to ... and my proper Marshall was too able.

The problem was the war was hugely expensive, and by July we had beaten their main armies and it seemed prudent to sue for peace:

And this just left me with some minor rebellions and the need to re-allocate all the conquered lands amongst my court – my sons did well from the new lands around Moscow

Which left me in charge of most of north and central Russia

To make things easier, I got a rather nifty new chancellor:

Now this is the sort of time when you want less gender-based segregation, my sister’s eldest daughter really should have gone into the army:

Whilst her father then got even more awesome in his own right,

[voices wander off … “why are you so keen on this one Gabi … well our place is rather empty so we thought we’d try and bring a few in … you know bend the rules a bit … what about … oh he’s lost interest … seems he had a conference with Zeus and is now so much more hands off … all the benefits of being a god without the daily grind of intervention”]

Can it continue like this? Will Vladimir pass Gabi’s diluted criteria? How many more unexplained deaths before he becomes suspicious?

I've chosen you as the new Writer of the Week for this excellent AAR.

Congratulations my friend!

Well, well... the anti-madness continues! :p

Gabi seems a bit desperate, but then, given CK's tendencies, this might be his best shot for a long, long time. ;)

If you can cope ... the next update is essentially all pretty functional & normal, fortunately thereafter CK wreaks its usual chaos in the lives of the characters, I'll be able to serve up paranoid bastards, heretical bastards, murder, intrigue, and some very wierd goings on in N France, plus, the Rurikovich's end up, by accident of course, as landowners in the Levant :cool:

I've chosen you as the new Writer of the Week for this excellent AAR.

Congratulations my friend!

I am very grateful, just my luck that at the moment I have probably the most normal king that CK can produce ...

Vladimir 1122-1125: Still mostly going well

[Hi Harry what are you doing … oh I heard rumours of adultery, unprovoked aggression, that sort of thing … just wanted to check I wasn’t being robbed yet again … you lost Boris?... yeah Hel won her case, apparently she was able to cite new evidence provided by this one … oh he’s here … yes Gabi seems as if Harry reckons there is something in it for him after all

Oh Vladimir, could you just start with you rebuilding … oi, stop with the leading questions … start from the end of the Moscow revolt]

Well, my immediate family continued to cause me as many problems as the rest of the realm

Just to help her complete her education, I pack her off to North Dvina, in fact most of the kids get sent somewhere or other to shore up loyalty.

And, the chance for some serious cash came along:

Which offset the cost of the last war

[see he was a little money grabber … I’m not leaving this one to you lot … Harry please there is no conspiracy ... if he belongs to you - he'll be allocated to you]

And the spare cash went on a monastery in Novgorod and bits and pieces elsewhere

[see Harry, its what any good pious ruler would do with the money … pah]

But then this idiot popped up expecting to marry my rather good chancellor

So I quickly married her off to my youngest brother – Yurri.

Not that my health was that great

So, I did start thinking a bit about the succession, and made Pentti, Prince of Moscovy:

And started a church in Pskov

[ah, the perfect example of a proper King … strewth Gabi, get a grip, its only a church]

Then, Begluk, my excellent marshall, my sister’s husband died (old age, apparently),

but since I was still a bit suspicious after the earlier incident I packed Predslava off to Pentti’s court in Moscow

[you sent a suspected serial murderer to your son’s court as you believed it was too dangerous to keep her in yours … this one is mine Gabi … you can’t do the idiocy defence this time]

In the meantime, my own offspring start to show real promise

I, of course, still wanted to become King of the Rus, so needed to start adding to my vassals and domains. A while back I’d made a claim on the County of Pereyaslavl Zaleesky, and this seemed like a good time to follow that up – he refused to become a vassal so:

Occupying his county would link my realm together.

[look wanting your realm to 'look tidy' is not a good reason for a war -- he's mine I reckon ... no, he's right it does fit together]

Well it was a good idea, but my cousin, Prince of Pereyeslavl, must have decided he was next (his are the light green counties), so:

So I had to mobilise everything, raided their undefended southern provinces and then organised my troops to defend the area around Muscovy as well as to capture their northern provinces.

Suzdal quickly opted out the war and I made Tver my vassal by September, and by November had conquered the province that started it all

[no, if I recall from the earlier statement – you started it all …]

Pretty generous terms I think.

[see Harry, he was generous ... after he'd invaded, beaten the army, burnt down the castle ... oh these are such minor fiddling details]

One good thing about all these armies marching around Central Russia was it was a bit harder for the various robber bands

But just as the war was going my way, my vassal, the Prince of Karelia, decided to revolt. Syvatopolk had died and his son, Mikula, was being a bit difficult:

But by early March I was in a position to demand what I really wanted, not conquest but vassalage. I was now King of almost all of north and central Russia, with holdings in the south as well.

In the war with Karelia, I tried to show as much restraint as possible

I enlisted the church to help rebuild the kingdom:

[that is not 'enlisting' that is theft ... Harry when was the last time you worried about theft from the church ... oh yes ------- well]

Well that helped, and then in late September I left Mikula, Prince of Karelia with all his lands in return for a return to being my vassal.

and this left me very near to the real goal:

A small matter of a couple more provinces and 2800 gold.

Then in dealing with yet another peasant revolt in Moscow, my brother, Nainnas managed to get himself killed

Of course, thinking about it, my sister was nearby …

And, since my family was intent on being dysfunctional, my 8 year old daughter, countess of Livs, decides to declare war

Which was quickly sorted, and I put her back in charge.

[well I’m going to keep an eye on this … I don't trust you lot and I’ve already been deprived of two Rurikovich Kings … ok Harry keep your hair on … of course you have no hair … you don’t get rid of me just by a few insults]

Will Harry manage to grab Vladimir? Why, just when the kingdom is doing so well, does Vladimir’s family go nuts? Is there a murderer?

you sent a suspected serial murderer to your son’s court as you believed it was too dangerous to keep her in yours​

You have to salute a parent supplying such a brilliant upbringing for their child and heir. Very good update!

CK could be used as a script generation engine for Hollywood...

There's a lot of truth in that! Sometimes you just leave it to run and it more or less writes itself!

Great update btw!

I see morningSIDEr already commented on this, but I'll repeat it anyway:

[you sent a suspected serial murderer to your son’s court as you believed it was too dangerous to keep her in yours … this one is mine Gabi … you can’t do the idiocy defence this time]
Highlight of the episode by far. :D

Even though Vlad is pretty levelheaded (well, excepting the above, of course), at least the rest of his family keeps true to the Rurikovich family traditions - his homicidal sister, his 8-year-old sister with anger management issues, his spymaster brother dabbling in a bit of marshalling (and fully living up to the standards set by his predecessors)... :)

You have to salute a parent supplying such a brilliant upbringing for their child and heir. Very good update!

Don't think he managed to send her far enough away though ...

There's a lot of truth in that! Sometimes you just leave it to run and it more or less writes itself!

Great update btw!

Indeed, and the next episode has one of the best action-reaction sequences I've seen outside your average SitCom.

I see morningSIDEr already commented on this, but I'll repeat it anyway:

Highlight of the episode by far. :D

Even though Vlad is pretty levelheaded (well, excepting the above, of course), at least the rest of his family keeps true to the Rurikovich family traditions - his homicidal sister, his 8-year-old sister with anger management issues, his spymaster brother dabbling in a bit of marshalling (and fully living up to the standards set by his predecessors)... :)

aye, the classic problem of being dead impressive at work and despised at home :)

Ok here we go, heretical bastards, pushy bastards and a marriage made in Hell ... all in the next episode

Last edited:
Vladimir 1125-1133, Trying not to spend too long with his family

[Harry --- that’s my seat … look Gabi I got here early so I took the best seat – I’ve had a look at the file and this looks promising … no you’re misinterpreting the reasonable acts of a hard pressed man --- I mean look at this ...

… hah, not the best example Gabi, all that means is I get them both, in fact she is rather my sort in any case --- anyway aren’t we meant to speak to the recently deceased? … oh ok, Vladimir can you spare us a moment …]

Oh yes, the family things did become a bit of a problem, but the good news was a healer cured my wounds and illness … so all I had to do was to live long enough to raise 2800 and I was King of the Rus

But with Anna, yes it was a bit back and forth

[back and forth! --- you were having a right stushie … Harry he was sorely provoked:

Followed by:

And

And then poor Anna:

… poor Anna, Harry? --- is that some sort of bias? … well she did me proud … look I know you two want to squabble but we, mere humble clerks, need to clear out the waiting area … the Rurikovich’s are piling up out there]

Well I know I had problems with Anna, but unlike Mstislav, I at least tried to be nice to my bastard son, Emelyn. First I married him off, but then he started sending me rather creepy messages:

Well what with Anna and all that, one does have these thoughts:

[see Harry, Vladimir is fundamentally decent]

Well sparing his life did have consequences:

[and whilst you and Anna were at it like a pair of ferrets in a sack, what about your kingdom]

Oh well that was going very well. Almost no wars, the occasional small peasant thing, peaceful expansion as via Pereyaslavl, I owned 2 counties in the Levant – how about that?

So there was I, reckoning it would take about 10 years to raise the cash for the new Kingdom and …

Well that cleared about half the debt

And then, the chance to raise some more serious cash:

Which meant

So I have a lunatic bastard son and a very peeved wife, but I was now King of Rus. In general the realm improved, dysentery had the side effect of flushing out a bunch of thieves:

Well I might have been a big King, but you try telling that to my family. Everyone else was so grateful:

It was almost as if the sounds of the extra money arriving perked Emelyan up

Still convinced he was the messiah though

It was at this time I risked setting up my sister’s daughter as my new spy-person, the gamble was increased as I’d married my second bastard son, Svetozar, to her

And this then gave Emelyan delusions of grandeur:

Not with those stats he wasn’t

And then Svetozar started to get the same ideas:

[Harry and Gabi depart bickering – “I still reckon there is more to this than meets the eye … no Harry accept it, you’ve got no claim here” … the clerks wander off separately --- “what do you reckon, it does seem too good really … but if those two raise every adulterous event we’re going to be here a long time … oh well its what eternity is for”]

Will Emelyan and Svetozar push it too far? How will Vladimir reconcile being loved in the realm and hated by his family? What is about Harry and Anna?

What a pity Emelyan is bastard born, I would dearly like to see him as the next Rurikovich king! Nonetheless I look forward to seeing what he gets up to regardless.

Nice use of the word 'stushie' by the way!

Tit for tat cheating, uppity bastards, crazy uppity bastards... That's the CK we all know and love. :)

You've gained some real estate in the Holy Land - right next to the Assassins on steroids. I wonder about the cause and effect - did those counties, cowering before the Assassins, decide to join your realm because they knew about your homicidal daughter ("Sheet, these Assassins are bad-ass, but that b*tch is even crazier!")? Or did the daughter go bat-shit crazy because of Assassin influences seeping into the Kingdom of Finland by way of the Levantine possessions?

The only thing missing from that last episode was folding chairs and Jerry Springer.

Good update, fun people.

The only thing missing from that last episode was folding chairs and Jerry Springer.

CK and Jerry Springer, have you uncovered Johan's muse? :rofl:

What a pity Emelyan is bastard born, I would dearly like to see him as the next Rurikovich king! Nonetheless I look forward to seeing what he gets up to regardless. Nice use of the word 'stushie' by the way!

I think you'll REALLY like the next king then ...

Emelyn's a loon :D

Tit for tat cheating, uppity bastards, crazy uppity bastards... That's the CK we all know and love. :)

You've gained some real estate in the Holy Land - right next to the Assassins on steroids. I wonder about the cause and effect - did those counties, cowering before the Assassins, decide to join your realm because they knew about your homicidal daughter ("Sheet, these Assassins are bad-ass, but that b*tch is even crazier!")? Or did the daughter go bat-shit crazy because of Assassin influences seeping into the Kingdom of Finland by way of the Levantine possessions?

well the Assassins were getting about a bit and I am wondering about cultural contamination? Did they get into casual murder because, essentially by accident, a bunch of Rurikovichs wandered into their area or did they corrupt us good honest, never-kin-murdering, Rus? As with the reply to Morningsider, just wait for the next king.

I think you've just identified where Paradox got the bulk of events from.

Svetozar for the win :)

Btw, what mods are you using?

Just the DV Improvement Pack, mainly as the consensus was it sorted out a few glitches. Amidst the lunacy, I think the game does a good job of modelling the personal nature of the state in this age, and thus the inevitably waxing and waning (in my case a lot more waning goes on) dependent on the ability of a given ruler and the stability that came from a longish reign.

Good update, fun people.
CK and Jerry Springer, have you uncovered Johan's muse? :rofl:

More from the fun people, we have at least 1 murder, several unexplained deaths, a return of Mstislav's old problem with mathematics, and, of course, a badly injured marshall: