• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(62121)

Corporal
Oct 27, 2006
I have been wondering for a while if my way of capturing a province is too cheap. I have found that when an army has a good amount of artillery it can practically run over most fortresses. The way it works is you command your army to assault the fortress then stop the assault before much happens, i you do this repeatedly the province can fall in just a few days with very little loss to the attacker.

i wondered if this was a glitch because i have never seen the Ai do it they just sit in front of the fortress or assault it mindlessly. Last week I i was playing Austria and was allied with France in a war against Hungary. I (Austria) took all of the Hungarian provinces except one in the time it took France to take that one, again with comparatively little loss to myself, I even destroyed the Hungarian army so the French weren't interrupted in their siege. Our armies were roughly equal so this made me think i maybe shouldn't use this method as it may be too cheap.

Your opinion is appreciated (if anyone still exists on this forum). I would also like to know if anyone else uses this method. thank you

Edit: this may be a dumb question but how do you make a sig?

Hm... I can honestly say I have never thought of or used that strategy, I don't think...you just keep starting and stopping an assault, you say? I shall have to try it out, to assess its cheapness or not-cheapness. It may be just a gameplay fluke that the engine allows you to do, but was not necessarily intended to be used--obviously historically starting and aborting castle assaults would not have been a viable strategy, and probably wouldn't be thought of as a method. However, if you've discovered an exploit that works then by all means go for it-- if you wish. There are plenty of exploits in Paradox games, and it's just up to individual players' house rules as to whether they use them.

As for the sig, you can go into your User CP and on the left side of the screen find a link that says "Edit Signature" under the "Settings and Options" heading.

The means is an old tried and tested exploit, and using it earns you bad karma for your soul in the afterlife. (Whatever afterlife you might subscribe to) ;)

Seriously though, yeah, the ability to stop assaults was taken away in EU2 since it was realized that being able to do so meant that it was possible to abuse the game engine and just forbidding people from stopping their assaults was the easiest fix.

Whether you want to stop using that method or not is up to you, but the general consensus among those who have played until they are experienced is that it is the AI that needs help with the game, not the player.

OK thanks for the help with the sig. Now I just need to find something to put there, hmmm...

I guess ill try to stop using that method to take a province ( i might forget if I'm losing a war though :D )

If you can't stop an assault in EU2 does your army just wear itself out until it is forced to quit?

And another question, I was playing Portugal in the Grand Campaign earlier and I was having some problems with that province across from Gibraltar (I forget its name). It keeps revolting and is being such a nuisance I wish someone would declare war on me and take it. Its population is like 5500 and I know if I get it below 5000 i can send a colonists there as missionaries to solve my problem but I can't figure out a way to lower the population :( .

Tangiers, if I recall.

You can basically, if I recall, just keep letting it revolt and sieging it and basically just unleashing all sorts of havoc on the province, making it looted and whatnot, to make it as inhospitable as possible, and the population will eventually fall enough. I haven't attempted it in a long, long time though, someone who's done it more recently may have the actual process down better and be able to explain it more properly.

Yet another question (hey I wouldn't want it to get boring around here). Is there a way to play countries other than the ones that are shown? That is one of the things I love about HOI1-2, being able to play any country. I have always wanted to play countries like Venice which has a very large navy and little land making war interesting.

Yes, there is. The IGC (Improved Grand Campaign) allows you to play as anyone you please, as well as various other options like having Ireland or Brittany free from the beginning, CoT locations, revolts and the like. Let me find the link...

Here we go: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150071

Ok thanks for the link but I am having a little trouble with it. It wants to open it with win-zip but is says I have to pay $29.99 for it because i don't have it I guess. Do i have to use win-zip or is there some other thing i can use. I don't much about computers :eek:o so help is appreciated.

Oh I found my game manual today and it says basically the same thing about reducing the population. if you take a city by assault there is a chance the population will be reduced (soldiers going out of control and killing the population) so ill just move my army out, let the rebel scum take the city, then go back to it and wipe them out :D HAHAHA.

P.S. I am at war with Spain so that might put a minor kink in my plans here...
P.P.S. I am owning Spain on land but they sunk my fleet so getting an army back to tangiers might be tricky :mad: ...
P.P.P.s maybe i shouldn't have fought a fleet twice my size :eek:o ...

Jolly fun :D As far as win-zip, I think there are like free trial versions of it out there, but you could always just use winRAR, which does the same thing and you can get for free.

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

It calls it a trial version, but after the trial period is up it still lets you use it, for some reason. Works quite well.

You can end sieges at any time in EU2, but assaults will keep running until the city looses or your soldiers morale runs out.

There is a breaking point at 5000 population that assaults can't reduce the population below, but sieges (rebels or yours) will put a very bad growth percentage, which will drop it to below 5000 if given time.
Assaults will kill 10% of your army size in population, and is the way to go to quickly get large provinces down to close to 5000 where sieges can take care of the rest.

IGC is pretty nifty and if you get it to work it is well worth using. If you don't, you can simply open a scenario file and change the TAG (three letter combination in capitals letters) of a nation you don't want to use into one you want to use instead. Deleting other nations here is also useful, since only starting nations are immune to annexation.

Also Zipgenius ( www.zipgenius.it ) is completely free, handles both zip and rar, and works quite well without having to fraudulize any trial periods ;)

Ok thanks for the help again. I got the population in Tangeirs below 5000 (something like 4988 if i recall) and it is now a nice peaceful Reformed province as I changed my religion, that is why Spain declared war on me.

And as for that little thing about fighting an oversized fleet.. I didn't realize it was even in combat till i got the message it was annihilated as I was busy fighting Spain in my colonies.

Oh and I'm wondering, how does a lv 1 trading post spawn some 3000 rebel scum when there are only 10 guys in the province :rofl:

And because the computer I have EU installed on does not have an internet connection I'm going to have to transfer the patch with my flash drive, but I don't have it with me so I'll work on that later.

When a town of eleven hundred spawns three thousand rebels it is obvious that the large portions of the countryside is up in arms (urbanization levels of 10% might be assumed, so a province with eleven hundred in the largest town should have at least ten thousand people in it, and possibly double that or more)

When a trading post does it, though.. well, maybe it is another sort of native uprising?

Well it must be an undead army of natives coming back for revenge because I had already wiped all the natives out :rofl:

Either that or it's a glitch, I can't figure it out which it is though.. hmm...

Still working on patching my game, I only put the patch on my flash drive and forgot the program to unzip it, or can I unzip it on this computer then put it on the other?

Yeah, you probably can unzip the stuff and just transfer the newly unzipped files with no problem.

strategy freek said:
Well it must be an undead army of natives coming back for revenge because I had already wiped all the natives out :rofl:

Either that or it's a glitch, I can't figure it out which it is though.. hmm...

The natives can be taken to symbolize their organized resistance, and you killing them signifies your reluctance to add them as paying citizens. The highest native size is IIRC 15000, but there are regions in the world where there should have been lots more.

Besides - it is all a game ;)