• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dishonored is an RPG?
As far as Cultural Phenomena go, we really have to rework our Genre definitions for games. Compared to Movies, Stageplays and Books, it is totally messed up and JRPG and Wester RPG might even be totally different Genres:

It did have Baldur's Gate II and Pillars of Eternity, both being very much older style RPGs.
gog.com
If they do not have it, it can not be run on a modern computer :) Pretty sure I have seen both there.

Reactions:
Pity the survey didn't talk more about older style RPGs, such as the first two Fallouts or Diablos I & II. Modern western RPGs tend to follow a very samey formula (with a few exceptions)

You have Baldur's Gate 2 and Pillars Of Eternity has older RPG, so 2/6. Not bad if you consider they are trying to covers many styles. In fact, there isn't any H&S, but many would say it isn't RPG appart the player customization.

PS: I don't think they can ask about the favored RPG of all people ^^'.

Reactions:
This is a CRPG survey not an RPG survey.
Anyway I only played BG2 and Pillars, not the others.
I just got Vampire Masquerade on Humble Bundle (pencil and paper game books), but haven't played it.

Reactions:
Pity the survey didn't talk more about older style RPGs, such as the first two Fallouts or Diablos I & II. Modern western RPGs tend to follow a very samey formula (with a few exceptions)
Did you just call Diablo an RPG?

Them's fightin' words. Action RPG, if you must. Hack&Slash game if you want to be accurate.

Reactions:
Why did you choose those game specificly? i consider myseld a heavy rpg player but there was only one game i have played on that list (shame on me for not playng baldurs gate and vampire). and especialy why mass effect 2 out of the 3? i mean if you want to do a new rpg wouldnt it be better to ask for the first?

Reactions:
gog.com
If they do not have it, it can not be run on a modern computer :) Pretty sure I have seen both there.
So your requirement for "modern" is that they do not appear on the store of a site that is LITTERALLY dedicated to OLD games?

EDIT: Also, Fallout used to be on Gog, they don't sell it any more, but I still have copies of one, two and Tactics on my account there.

Reactions:
I enjoyed Dishonoured, but I see it as more of an action game with an interactive storyline rather than an RPG. As others have said, interesting choice of games to ask about - I mentioned a couple of personal favourites in the comment at the end.

Reactions:
Why did you choose those game specificly? i consider myseld a heavy rpg player but there was only one game i have played on that list (shame on me for not playng baldurs gate and vampire). and especialy why mass effect 2 out of the 3? i mean if you want to do a new rpg wouldnt it be better to ask for the first?

Because Mass Effect 1's style of story telling (if not gameplay) was far more similar to previous Bioware RPGs including Baldur's Gate 2, which is already on the list, and Mass Effect 3 was a mix of elements from 1 and 2. They picked 2 because it had a different way of using choices and such to affect outcome. Also the gameplay was shit, while it's story (if you ignore where it went in 3) was fine, so it was probably on there to test how important gameplay vs. story is to people.

Reactions:
I guess Paradox is setting their sights on games that actually have good writing behind them.
F:Nv was developed by obsidian entertainment, which usually works with PDX. Plus F:NV is definitely better than skyrim in so many ways...

Reactions:
Should I take the survey if I DON'T like RPG games? :)

despite the image having a bunch of dice it didn't have anything about Table-top PnP RPGs(including the White wolf ones both old and new world). Nor was there anything about Deus Ex despite being mentioned explicitly :p

Reactions:
Not 100% sure why these specific games were picked as I only posted the survey, I didn't make it :). I'm assuming though that the idea is that most of the games we picked are games that the majority of gamers have played / heard of. The list is also not very long since, as I pointed out before, we didn't want to make the survey too long.

Should I take the survey if I DON'T like RPG games? :)
Sure you can :D! Every response is greatly appreciated!

Reactions:
Haha take that USA!

Anyway did it.

Paradox you getting ready to start making RPGs? Cuz ill beta test that. Just for the record.

Reactions:
The survey seems to have focused on games I didn't play, even in series that I did play. For instance, played FO1-3, but not NV. Played BG1, not 2.

I also played TES 3: Morrowind VERY extensively (probably 5K-10K hours over more than a decade), TES 2 briefly (frustrating, since the mouse doesn't behave properly through the DOS emulator on my current system), and TES 4 for a relatively short time (50-100 hours) before deciding that it lacked almost everything I liked about 3's open world and unique culture, as well as converting from an "all or nothing" to a "can't fail" task system (neither of which is realistic, but I'll take a simplistic approach to failure over none). To date, Morrowind is clearly my favorite and most played RPG, especially with mods (I spent a couple of months roving up and down practically every nook can cranny of the first Tamriel Rebuilt landmass section, looking for placement errors and other bugs), and ranks among my top 5 games overall (along with HOI3).

Mount & Blade is another favorite, where you have elements of an open-world RPG, a FPS skirmish combat system, and some aspects of a rudimentary empire builder which were expanded upon in mods. There are multiple ways of playing (a big positive), and no overarching storyline at all (which is both a good and a bad thing). There are several good complete overhaul mods for it, which essentially give you a completely new game on the old engine.

The X3:TC space game has strong RP elements, and a heap of replayability with different characters and approaches to playing, but character interactions with the NPCs are extremely limited. The sequel, X: Rebirth, completely missed the mark about why players liked X3.

Achievements? Why? Who am I trying to impress?

Reactions:
So your requirement for "modern" is that they do not appear on the store of a site that is LITTERALLY dedicated to OLD games?

EDIT: Also, Fallout used to be on Gog, they don't sell it any more, but I still have copies of one, two and Tactics on my account there.
I meant it as "gog.com is your best bet to get those games. If they do not have it, it is legally or technically not feasible to run it on modern hardware and you have to resort to older emulation". Afaik Fallout had to be removed for purely legal reasons.

Also they do have some current games, but mostly ones from the Indi Scene.

I meant it as "gog.com is your best bet to get those games. If they do not have it, it is legally or technically not feasible to run it on modern hardware and you have to resort to older emulation". Afaik Fallout had to be removed for purely legal reasons.

Also they do have some current games, but mostly ones from the Indi Scene.
Then... what was your point? Whether or not the games are available from gog is completely irrelevant to the survey.

Paradox buys White Wolf, Paradox creates a survey about RPGs, including a question about Vampire: The Masquerade. That can mean only one thing: Victoria 3 confirmed! :D

Let's hope you guys put the survey results to good use.

Reactions:
I guess Paradox is setting their sights on games that actually have good writing behind them.
Daggerfall is better than Skyrim anyway.:p

Reactions:
Status
Not open for further replies.