• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(33769)

Second Lieutenant
Aug 30, 2004
Another one:

It's Sept. 2, 1939. I'm am Joseph Stalin. My tank forces consist entirely of the latest T34-76/(70mm) tanks. Today, my engineers have demonstrated the new 80mm tank gun. I am impressed. To protect the worker's paradise from the capitalist encirclement, I want all my T34 tanks upgraded with the new weapon ASAP. I am told this is impossible . . . there is rage in the Kremlin, heads will roll . . .

Game mechanics: In order to upgrade the T34s, I need to develop "Improved Medium Tank (80mm+). This has three requirements:

* Armor Skirts
* Improved Medium Tank Prototype Tests
* Tank Gun 80mm+

I have all that already developed; it's all gold or silver. Lots of IC points are available. I can start other projects. But "Improved Medium Tank (80mm+)" in the research window remains greyed out, as does "Start Project." Time to shoot some saboteurs . . .

(If you want me to send you a save, I'll need the e-mail address again; I didn't keep it.)

Upvote 0
Once you research a specific tank model, such as the T-34/76 70mm tank, the rest of the models for that tank are deactivated. It's definetely WAD. I don't know why its WAD, but it is.

AFAIK this was done to protect the AI against itself, so it wouldn't develop all the available tankmodels (some 40) and waste precious researchIC's. It apparently also upgrades it's tanks as soon as a new model is completed, so if it were able to develop all models it wouldn't deploy a single armoured division.

Robert Koop said:
AFAIK this was done to protect the AI against itself, so it wouldn't develop all the available tankmodels (some 40) and waste precious researchIC's. It apparently also upgrades it's tanks as soon as a new model is completed, so if it were able to develop all models it wouldn't deploy a single armoured division.

yup that was the explanation given....

F