Sword / Shield + Vigor .....Staff?

• Crusader Kings II Expansion Subscription

Subscribe to the CK II Expansion and enjoy unlimited access to 13 major expansions and more!

• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

Windspear

Corporal
Dec 29, 2015
Hey guys, this is going to be my first Tyranny playthrough. I am planning to play a sword and shield character with healing and buffing abilities , so I am guessing mixing up Sword / Shield with Vigor would allow me to build up such a character. However, in character creation, i see that Vigor spells grant +2 to Staff and I dont plan to use staves at all....

My question is , do i need to use a staff to use vigor spells? Or would I be able to use vigor spells with other weapons, like sword or a bow?

If yes, then please let me know how to do it efficiently and without allocating points to staff skill? And what would be the best option for me create a front line healing tank on character creation screen?

Thanks

Hawke64

Second Lieutenant
18 Badges
Nov 27, 2016
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • BATTLETECH
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II
My question is , do i need to use a staff to use vigor spells? Or would I be able to use vigor spells with other weapons, like sword or a bow?
No, you don't need a staff to use spells, any weapon (including fists) works.
If yes, then please let me know how to do it efficiently and without allocating points to staff skill? And what would be the best option for me create a front line healing tank on character creation screen?
1. You can buy the Sigil of Vigor in the third location you visit (Scarlet Chorus camp).
2. I'd suggest to either take 2 talents in Defense (as most of it is dedicated to shields and one-handed weapon mastery) or 2 talents in Agility in order to get "Arrow Shield" (replaces Dodge with Parry, if the latter is higher).

tra23

Recruit
Dec 8, 2017
No, you don't need a staff to use spells, any weapon (including fists) works.

I have started to play the game (and love it!) and wondered why you actually need a staff. does it make the magic blasts more accurate? does it give strength to them? just so you can use it as physical weapon?

Hawke64

Second Lieutenant
18 Badges
Nov 27, 2016
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • BATTLETECH
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II
I have started to play the game (and love it!) and wondered why you actually need a staff. does it make the magic blasts more accurate? does it give strength to them? just so you can use it as physical weapon?
Sort of. Staves usually have bonuses to magic skills, which affect accuracy. Spells and staves can have physical damage type (e.g. crushing).