Sword of the Stars II - Developer Diary #1 - Re-Inventing the Future

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Castewar,

I clicked on your Kerberos Production Forums link in your signature and it does not work. :(

Are you guys/galls based in Vancouver Canada? (just curious cuz its close)

And I like all the others can't wait for this to be released!

The heck...? Hmm. I just tried it and it works - it may have just been a provider hiccup when you were trying to get in. Try again and let me know how it goes.

And yup, we're in Vancouver!

SotS2 is NOT coming out February 11th. I'm not sure where that came from, but it's incorrect, so please, try and get some sleep now, and then you can have sleepless nights as we get closer to Summer.

And you're correct - Destroyers no longer have FTL drives. Some will act as Battleriders, hauled into combat by Cruiser carriers and some will be System Defence Boats. More on this later!

The heck...? Hmm. I just tried it and it works - it may have just been a provider hiccup when you were trying to get in. Try again and let me know how it goes.

And yup, we're in Vancouver!

SotS2 is NOT coming out February 11th. I'm not sure where that came from, but it's incorrect, so please, try and get some sleep now, and then you can have sleepless nights as we get closer to Summer.

And you're correct - Destroyers no longer have FTL drives. Some will act as Battleriders, hauled into combat by Cruiser carriers and some will be System Defence Boats. More on this later!

The link works for me. And summer release date, eh? That's a looong time. :( :p

System Defence Boats seems like a great idea. I hope planets will be able to field these automatically (kinda like planetary missiles are automatic) to reduce micro, but nonetheless, should make attacking lone planets more interesting. :)

If you're switching from a Battle of Jutland to a Battle of Midway paradigm I'm hoping for a new tactical squadron AI for those swarms of Destroyers. Something for diary #2 perhaps...

Will there still be satellites, or are DEs kind of taking up that role? SotS is easily my favorite turn based / 4X game, so can hardly wait for more dev diaries. I'm mostly just wondering if I'm going to have to do a hardware upgrade to run it (though I probably should be upgrading sometime this year anyways).

I always loved the idea of SotS, and I own the original and its expansions, unfortunately I can count the number of games I ever actually finished on one hand. The different races were indeed sufficiently different to grab the attention, the randomised tech trees as you say made each game different beyond adapting to new terrain, but each time I played as pretty much any of the races it eventually just bogged down. Once the empires had expanded beyond a very small number of systems, the game became a matter of checking sensors to spot the progress of the ridiculous number of raiding fleets inbound, shuttling defence fleets back and forth to make sure their target systems were protected, while assembling a giant fleet of doom to crush them one by one. Multiplayer was a bit more fun, and I appreciate the strategic possibilities inherent where movement is NOT restricted by arbitrary routes as in other games, but (quite opposite to other peoples perceptions) for me ultimately it became a hell of micromanagement - and who has the time? Add to that spam about 'von Neumann machines at Useless Planet You Colonised so Player 2 Wouldn't' which needs must be ignored each and every turn...

I hope you can keep the quirkiness and good pacing from the early parts of the game, while doing something to ameliorate the gigantic slog the game always seemed to degenerate into.