• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I really don't see why we don't just push back the start date to 955, then make it possible to increment through to 1066 and so on. That is how it is now, after all- only the Old Gods start date has that weird jump where you can't play anything in-between.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I really don't see why we don't just push back the start date to 955, then make it possible to increment through to 1066 and so on. That is how it is now, after all- only the Old Gods start date has that weird jump where you can't play anything in-between.

That could be a solution too. But that would require more work from us and would lead to the release being even further into the future.

We have not settled on what exactly that we would like to offer you guys, so everything is still a possibility

• 1Like
Reactions:
That could be a solution too. But that would require more work from us and would lead to the release being even further into the future.

We have not settled on what exactly that we would like to offer you guys, so everything is still a possibility
Well, you don't have to do the history all at once. You could do it in instalments.

Personally, I'd be fairly happy to wait a bit longer if it meant the inclusion of all dates between 955 and 1066. One of the nice things about the CK2 is the ability to play (almost) any date down to the very day, yet with the 867-1066 gap the game just feels incomplete. So it would suffice to say that I (and hopefully others as well) really want that gap to shrink as much as possible. Of course, as the fellow above said, the additions could be done in increments so as to avoid the large workload.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I would prefer any date between 987-1000 due to the situation in France and Spain being more interesting during that timeperiod with the Ummayads and Capets.

Reactions:
I'd really love to see 999AD

(998 is probably a bit better - but both scenarios are a bit better with a few months of historical fudging in certain places. Really, any time between 995 and 1005 is spectacular, and one could talk me into a lot between 972 and 1013.)

I'd probably call this something like "The Rise of Kings". The sheer number of Kingdoms that saw their historical destiny calcify or decay in the coming generation is staggering. Hungary; Poland; all Norse lands, including Kiev; Capetian France; Burgundy; Ireland; Bulgaria; Iraq-Iran; Germany and Italy, as de jure monarchies. I mean, that's just what I can think of off the top of my head.
Dang, you have me convinced to support this, though 955 sounds fairly interesting as well :)

Northern Slavic war of 950 where Harald the Bluetooth leading a combined pommeranian and danish army basically lost the war against a German retaking of Holstein and subsequent invasion of Jutland. It is significant as the real political turning point of christianization of Scandinavia, if you win as Danes you basically continue the Pagan viking age strong without the christianization timebomb ticking destroying your culture and way of life. You also prevent formation of strong united HRE and keep pushing into Saxony and Frisland as Danes did as of before. This war turned the trend and danevirke failed to keep Germans at bay.

That war also consolidated the image of Otto and made German Reich possible. Definitely a turning point and a nice round year. If the Pagan Slavs and Danes had won it would possibly have meant a serious blow to christianity in Europe especially as Danes were let by notoriously antichristian Gorm the Old who after taking Holstein basically threw out all christians as he saw them as traitors to heathen religion.

962 February 3rd and 987 July 3rd would be good starts too I think.
We are much more easier to get convinced about how some date is interesting if it is suppported by some reasoning:)

• 1Like
Reactions:
We are much more easier to get convinced about how some date is interesting if it is suppported by some reasoning:)

Well, 962.2.3 is restoration of HRE, don't know what to say more here.
As for 987.7.3 that is coronation of Hugh of France, first French king of Capetian dynasty. And that means no more Karlings :D

As for 987.7.3 that is coronation of Hugh of France, first French king of Capetian dynasty. And that means no more Karlings :D
there are still some Karlings around though ;)

Yup, thanks.
Sorry that I was unclear. What I meant was something more comperhensive, with more than 1 interesting place, or something less obvious.. We need to fill history of some 1600 titles, so it will be special things which would spice the map also outside the most obvious realms, which will help us making the final decision. Like if there are also some interesting minors to be played etc. something which would make us want to do the research for the entire map in that particular date.

Though every informative input is valid.

I know nothing about SWMH (Installation always bugs for me) but perhaps you might want to adapt my 935 bookmark for this? (It was suggested elsewhere)

I suggested it way back on first page before I started to MOD anything and since nobody else wanted to do it, I did it myself :ninja:

It's been play tested and tooled over based on feedback and is more or less complete as far as I am concerned and it should be fairly straightforward to adapt as nothing new in regards to mechanics was added to it. Only change was renaming Burgundy to Arles.

Last edited:
We haven't really discussed it in depth yet, due to a concerted push to try and get the upcoming release finished as quickly as possible. But i still maintain that anything earlier than 955 is too early and would cause us to face a lot of the same problems as we faced with 867 and would have faced with 769

But we should probably discuss it first before saying anything too definitive

Last edited:
I know nothing about SWMH (Installation always bugs for me) but perhaps you might want to adapt my 935 bookmark for this? (It was suggested elsewhere)

I suggested it way back on first page before I started to MOD anything and since nobody else wanted to do it, I did it myself :ninja:

It's been play tested and tooled over based on feedback and is more or less complete as far as I am concerned and it should be fairly straightforward to adapt as nothing new in regards to mechanics was added to it. Only change was renaming Burgundy to Arles.
I've been watching your thread for several reasons and I liked it.
However, though I would love to have the possibility to play as saint Venceslas (which unfortunately you don't allow as you give the throne to Boleslav already), I am also little more in favour for a later bookmark like 955 or 962 in regards to western part of the map.

As King said, we still haven't got far in this, I would like to make a timeline for our needs where we would put interesting periods for each region and accessibility of historic rulers for each region and then we will decide. And as stated above, this - I'm affraid - will put the 935 bookmark quite down the list.
Sadly while your work on the submod is awsome, it wouldn't be that much of help for us if we just canibalize it, due to the different map and many other things, even though I am sure it would be way better than adapting the vanilla characters and title history.

Frankly I would really love to have 3 new bookmarks in this hole, 955/962 or something around them or possibly little later, something between 999-1005 and then the Dandanqan battle in 1040 with Ghaznavids just after their zenith, Qarakhanids yet united and Seljuks just taking over Khorasan, with Buyids still holding much of western Iran sharing it with few other interesting minor Iranian dynasties.

But with the overhauls still ahead of us, the entire later game and other stuff, one extra bookmark will be enough to start with.

Last edited:
However, though I would love to have the possibility to play as saint Venceslas (which unfortunately you don't allow as you give the throne to Boleslav already)

Actually this was pointed out to me recently and I already fixed Boheamia in this regard but have not uploaded the MOD yet (will do it now). Boleslav will of course get some intrigue boost.

I've been watching your thread for several reasons and I liked it.
However, though I would love to have the possibility to play as saint Venceslas (which unfortunately you don't allow as you give the throne to Boleslav already), I am also little more in favour for a later bookmark like 955 or 962 in regards to western part of the map.

As King said, we still haven't got far in this, I would like to make a timeline for our needs where we would put interesting periods for each region and accessibility of historic rulers for each region and then we will decide. And as stated above, this - I'm affraid - will put the 935 bookmark quite down the list.
Sadly while your work on the submod is awsome, it wouldn't be that much of help for us if we just canibalize it, due to the different map and many other things, even though I am sure it would be way better than adapting the vanilla characters and title history.

Frankly I would really love to have 3 new bookmarks in this hole, 855/862 or something around them or possibly little later, something between 999-1005 and then the Dandanqan battle in 1040 with Ghaznavids just after their zenith, Qarakhanids yet united and Seljuks just taking over Khorasan, with Buyids still holding much of western Iran sharing it with few other interesting minor Iranian dynasties.

But with the overhauls still ahead of us, the entire later game and other stuff, one extra bookmark will be enough to start with.

I'm assuming here that you of course mean 955/962 :p

I'm assuming here that you of course mean 955/962 :p
Yup, sure. Thanks for pointing it out. Fixed now :)

Actually this was pointed out to me recently and I already fixed Boheamia in this regard but have not uploaded the MOD yet (will do it now). Boleslav will of course get some intrigue boost.
I have been quite busy with my own modding, so wasn't really following your thread recently.
Great news anyway! Also the intrigue boost for Boleslav. In fact he should be also very skilled in stewardship and martial... well, his diplomatic skill shouldn't be low either, but the learning....