• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah, for sure. Though I think the majority of the provinces inside the kingdom are part of Pommerania, at least in CK2 HIP. That's why I think, if we have to choose between the two, Pommerania would be more suitable than Polabia (perhaps that could be used by the Polish culture though, and a few others).

• 1Like
Reactions:
In contemporary Polish "Wendish Empire" would be "Cesarstwo (or Imperium) Wendyjskie".
Edit: Misread Kingdom for Empire. In Polish sources the K. of Wendland area is often called Połabie translating to Polabian. It's more encompassing than the quoted Pomorze which describes the area adjacent to the Baltic Sea only, thus excluding Meissen, Brandenburg etc..

Połabie for Polish historiography means toritory ruled by Odobriti tribes, Lutici tribal alliance Haveli(Stodorania in polish) Lausitz, Meissen but not Pomerania/Pomorze
Pretty much like this
952861f2efeda16a8956055aed12.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Połabie for Polish historiography means toritory ruled by Odobriti tribes, Lutici tribal alliance Haveli(Stodorania in polish) Lausitz, Meissen but not Pomerania/Pomorze
Pretty much like this
View attachment 590093
Absolutely true, but being given that Pomorze is a also a duchy, while Polabia is not, I would say that the latter is a better synecdoche?
For those not speaking Polish:
Pomorze means literally "land by the sea", hence why it exists in some local variant in other Slavic languages e.g. in Russian.
Połabie analogically translates as "land by Łaba". Łaba being Polish name of the river Elbe.

Last edited:
Absolutely true, but being given that Pomorze is a also a duchy, while Polabia is not, I would say that it's a better synecdoche?

Agree, let's say Pomerania is politicial and geographical unit, Polabia mosty geographical(and divided into 3 realms/states - rather unstable)
K. Pomerania is suitable but kingdom of Pemerania with de iure Odobriti and Redari not quite
In other hand K. Wendland(Polabia) is bit unhistorical/fantasy(never exist) but somehow plausible, so what to do if we need to choose:confused:

Agree, let's say Pomerania is politicial and geographical unit, Polabia mosty geographical(and divided into 3 realms/states - rather unstable)
K. Pomerania is suitable but kingdom of Pemerania with de iure Odobriti and Redari not quite
In other hand K. Wendland(Polabia) is bit unhistorical/fantasy(never exist) but somehow plausible, so what to do if we need to choose:confused:

I would probably use Polabia for Polish and Czech cultures, Wendland for Scandinavian and Old Saxon cultures, and Pommerania for the rest.

• 3Like
Reactions:
In case You wonder how all the 333 SWMH baronies in scope of my work look like on a CK3 map, all vector, have a look.
CK3counties reorganised-01.png

As You can see, the maps do not overlap perfectly between Google and CK3, but it's a base I can wrok up from. All the abstract CK2 SWMH baronies in the region are now points on a map with both English and Polish names. Not only it is now more or less clear, in which county any particular barony is located, but also it is pretty visible which areas suffer from a lack of actual baronies and which have enough density. All the pins are named after the SWMH baronies they correspond to, so if You can use .ai format (Adobe Illustrator) I can provide You with the files to play with and improve them.

• 1Like
Reactions:
For those interested, it takes a lot of time to adjust the SWMH real world baronies' position to the CK3 map projection. So far I've managed to cover Masovian and Silesian duchies.
CK3counties adjusting-01.png

• 2Like
Reactions:
I'm not sure i'm gonna end up utilising all the 16 extra provinces for Poland when i adapt SWMH to CK3, just so you are aware Choorus. CK3 has 36 provinces in Poland as far as i can see, we have 20 in SWMH in CK2.

Same goes for Hungary, i'm not sure i'm gonna utilise all the 17 extra provinces in Hungary. Hungary has 51 provinces in CK3 as far as i can see, we have 34 in SWMH

It's weird, seeing Wallachia/Moldavia, Hungary and Poland getting SO many extra provinces, while other regions stand still or goes backwards (looking at Russia for example).

When we get CK3 released, i'm gonna see which province number i find fitting for the amount of power i think a certain Kingdom should have, and if the provinces actually have a lot of holdings available, and if there is separate title holders available for them. That last one could be a problem for the extra Polish provinces, most of the extra provinces won't have separate title holders

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm not sure i'm gonna end up utilising all the 16 extra provinces for Poland when i adapt SWMH to CK3, just so you are aware Choorus. CK3 has 36 provinces in Poland as far as i can see, we have 20 in SWMH in CK2.

Same goes for Hungary, i'm not sure i'm gonna utilise all the 17 extra provinces in Hungary. Hungary has 51 provinces in CK3 as far as i can see, we have 34 in SWMH

It's weird, seeing Wallachia/Moldavia, Hungary and Poland getting SO many extra provinces, while other regions stand still or goes backwards (looking at Russia for example).

When we get CK3 released, i'm gonna see which province number i find fitting for the amount of power i think a certain Kingdom should have, and if the provinces actually have a lot of holdings available, and if there is separate title holders available for them. That last one could be a problem for the extra Polish provinces, most of the extra provinces won't have separate title holders
Well, the power level is firstly dependent mostly on the total amount of existing holdings. Secondly it is relative. It doesn't matter whether it's 20 vs 30 or 40 vs 60.
The theoretical maximum is more tricky to define. I personally understand as a theoretical maximum of population that could live in the area being given the end-game technology level and appropriate investment. From that point of view there's no real reason to keep Poland or Hungary lower than Northern or Southern Germany respectively. A lot of holding slots could quite simply be left empty at the beginning. Being given how much the demographic landscape of the area evolved between 1066 and 1453, I'd say it does make sense to leave quite a lot of slots to be filled during the game.
What my research aims at however is a twofold goal:
1. Find out which CK3 counties CK2 SWMH baronies belong to
2. Check which areas are over- or under-saturated. Baronies are no longer abstract, so a pretty common CK2 SWMH situation where one city's districts/parts are separate baronies, doesn't satisfy the criterion of their physical separation.
Having done Mazovia and Silesia, I believe it is already pretty clear that there are some areas in need of additional historical holdings, while others are too close to another.

Reactions:
Having overview maps with Baronies plotted in on is tremendously helpful, don't get me wrong, i love that you are doing that

And i'm not closing any doors. Maybe i'll keep all the CK3 provinces after all.

I'm just being upfront to you, and all my other users, that i don't feel bound by the decisions that the Vanilla Devs have made.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Just for a quick little teaser, this is part of my own overview map for the ERE, i'm working on (The Black Province boundary lines are always subject to change fyi)

1592949689044.png

• 6Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Having overview maps with Baronies plotted in on is tremendously helpful, don't get me wrong, i love that you are doing that

And i'm not closing any doors. Maybe i'll keep all the CK3 provinces after all.

I'm just being upfront to you, and all my other users, that i don't feel bound by the decisions that the Vanilla Devs have made.
I'll continue to put my work behind the detailed map of Wendland, Poland, and its surroundings.
Do we know, what's an optimal holdings number per province?

I don't know yet. I don't have access to the CK3 Beta. When the game releases, i will be checking how customizable the localisation possibilities are. And then i'll go from there

Technically Prince of Wales (for English Heirs) doesn't make much sense before the abolishment of native rule in Wales by Edward III (i.e. in the 1280'ies)

Prince of Wales/King of Kings of Wales, makes a lot of sense for Welsh characters though. It seems doubtful though that the CK3 engine can handle such situation dependant localisations. But we'll see

Over on reddit the province map got posted. We somewhat already had that before but this is a bit cleaner. Honestly they went overboard in the amount of counties in areas like the Tibet which manages to have the same amount of provinces as the HRE.

hyvmvzjll5h51.png

• 1Like
Reactions:
Most of the provinces on the map will be changed, by the time i'm done, don't you worry.
So do you think it will be hard for you guys twhen you start going into detail in the area where Kush use to be, as far as getting details about the kindgdoms that existed there. I only ask because in the livestream they hovered over that area and it looks like they got some of the flags wrong

Any chance Roger de Hauteville can start with some extra cash or some event troops or an extra province or something to give him a bump? He is the progenitor of the Kings of Sicily but in the CK2 his position is nearly impossible

Reactions: