• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Eshmunazar

Second Lieutenant
5 Badges
Dec 29, 2003
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • 500k Club
European Pop Revision + Congaree Republic!

Just download the zip and unzip it into your Victoria directory. This mod is designed for VIP 0.4 only.

http://www.geocities.com/vestigialarms/popmod.zip

*EDIT* This is the newest version of my European POP revision that incorporates the following changes...

1. Splitting of Switzerland into S. German, French and N. Italian cultures. The country itself has the S. German and French cultures. This does not affect gameplay for the AI in any noticeable way.

2. Addition of Scottish culture to the UK using the now-defunct Swiss tag. Scottish refers to the culture of both the Highlanders and Lowlanders of Scotland, as opposed to those holding a primarily British (read English) identity. Welsh not included simply due to their small size and lack of culture tags.

3. Corsica is now about 90% S. Italian POPs, the only French POPs are clerks, soldiers and officers. Even today Corsicans speak an Italian dialect as opposed to French in most cases. Back then, French was barely known outside of the government and lycees.

I have also added a new revolter nation called the Congaree Republic. This is an African_Minor cultured nation that revolts in the southern USA. Here's a screen shot of a game I played as them just today.

As you can see, I managed to not just hold back America, I conquered quite a bit beyond the normal Congaree boundaries. I'll be fiddling with it more (maybe a different color for the country?) and more as time goes on, so expect updates. I just thought I'd post this preliminary version to see what people thought of it. If you want to see how it handles in the game, play as the USA and just release it as a satellite. Then break your alliance and declare war on them, make a neville peace on pause. Save the game, edit it so you can play as the Congaree (U13) and you'll see how they can advance. Some interesting things you can do...

- Enslave all southerners! (expect a reprisal!)
- Hold millions hostage in return for your independent homeland, causing a vast population exchange between the USA and the Congaree if you are successful
- Create a Carribbean-based military league devoted to halting European domination in the area
- Approach European powers to purchase their primarily Creole colonies in the Carribbean before they succumb to bloody revolution as well
- Annex your best friend Haiti!

Some things I plan to do with the nation
- Develop it's own AI, this is my next task
- Consider colonization bans, preferably I'd alter them depending on whether or not the player/AI decides to have an Afro-centric foreign policy, or a Carribbo-centric one.
- Some more antagonistic events, survival is difficult for slave revolt nations next to big powerful countries
- Further develop the Carribbean League beyond the membership events, including eventual unification as a possibility?

Anyone else with any interesting ideas on the Congaree, feel free to share them. I don't know why there was never an African revolter option in the USA with it's huge slave population (which is still somewhat under-represented in Victoria, in the early 1800s the black population of the USA was nearly 20%, it's historical high) but now there is! Have fun revenging yourself upon the Dixies. :)

Last edited:
Note that France can win south german culture in Vip by defeating prusia in the Franco-prusian war.

So a Switserland with French and South german culture wouldn't be more potentially powerfull than a France winning the Franco prusian war ,or for that matter a Austria winning the 7 weeks war against Prussia and annexing all south Germany while also becomming Austria-hungary.

TheFlemishDuck said:
Note that France can win south german culture in Vip by defeating prusia in the Franco-prusian war.

So a Switserland with French and South german culture wouldn't be more potentially powerfull than a France winning the Franco prusian war ,or for that matter a Austria winning the 7 weeks war against Prussia and annexing all south Germany while also becomming Austria-hungary.

My thought is that if people wanted to, they could give their country any bunch of cultures they want. Giving it to them from the start or them putting it in themselves doesn't really matter. If people really want to give switzerland all three cultures, they can do it really easily. If they want to just give it French and South_German, it's just inserting another line. But the main reason I made the mod was to make Switzerland like a piece of pie that I could divide up nicely :) .

If you're going to be using the Swiss culture tag for something else, then I highly recommend erasing the 'Swiss' immigrants up around Ross River - Paradox keeps forgetting to remove them. Mind you, VIP might have dealt with that issue already.

Since Scotland exists as a revolter nation from the very start of the game, and since Scottish nationalism has always been a subject for their people, although probably less-so in this time than any other, that doesn't mean that Scotland isn't full of Scottish farmer POPs who are no different than the most effete London capitalist POPs ;) England is updated to have the Scottish culture, which was created with the unused Punjabi tag.

I have also taken the liberty of correcting the 100% French population of Corsica, now like any colony it has a population of French military officers, clerks and other mobile, small groups, while South Italians are the majority.

Also included is my Swiss POP revision which splits Switzerland into French, German and Italian POPs, giving that nation French and South German tags. So... there you go.