• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The only thing I don't like about TW games is when people compare them to Paradox games... they're virtually nothing alike other than both being set at some point in world history and having maps you try to make your colour :p

The tactical Total War is awesome. The strategic map, isn't. Whoever that played Europa Universalis will find this part of the game severely lacking. If CA put as much detail and playability into the world map in terms of diplomacy, trade and colonization as Paradox does, then we can talk about comparisons. But I guess that would also lose them the casuals, and noone wants to lose the casuals...

The tactical Total War is awesome. The strategic map, isn't. Whoever that played Europa Universalis will find this part of the game severely lacking. If CA put as much detail and playability into the world map in terms of diplomacy, trade and colonization as Paradox does, then we can talk about comparisons. But I guess that would also lose them the casuals, and noone wants to lose the casuals...

Funny because it seems Paradox games are now the ones getting closer to the less math and more clear choice Totalwar approach.

Funny because it seems Paradox games are now the ones getting closer to the less math and more clear choice Totalwar approach.

They never said that, and i dont see in the new mechanics anything like that. What they said was that they aimed to make the game easier to understand, which, frankly, is something PI games needed badly. Being difficult to understand doesnt mean being more complex. Fr example, look at eu iii when it went gold, and look at it now. The last version is much eaiser to undrstand, because it has hundreds of tips. Same game, but far easier to understand.

I don't agree. Change might not always be for the better, but without Civilization III we wouldn't have had Civ IV and then CIV V (CIV 5 being the best while Civ 3 is weaker than CIV II).

I hate when they just make direct quotes, as i am really bad with names, and go.. Whats its name all the time.

Heh, I thought you were being sarcastic in pretending not to remember the names of the Creative Assembly games :D

well.. when all talk about total war, i will say something regarding total war too.

There are exactly 2 "huge" game series, i buy EVERY game. Total war series and all Games done by the Paradox Development Studio.

But total wars "Strategy map" is really a mess... its too simple. Not challenging. Actually nearly always when someone asks me for total war multiplayer campaign, i tell them to buy eu3 (and they most likly do) and most of them react with : OMG THANK YOU, and do not play TW campaign anymore.. BUT total war series is still a amazing series, because of the realtime Battles in single and multiplayer.. STILL there is one huge lack in the gameplay.. Creative Assembly DOESNT CARE AT ALL for Realism. So basically one of my biggest game dreams would be Paradox to announce a Game in the Total War style, just more more complicated then simple TW strategy maps.. and the most important.. REALISTIC realtime battles.. omg i would even pay a monthly fee to play a Game like Shogun, just without this Arcade gameplay style.. so a Total War game trimmed on realism.. ohh well..

But i CA states, they wont do it (cause people are pissed when games last longer than 30 minutes, games would last longer and you would have to consider too much, they say.)

So the only company.. the only one who can probably make my dream become true is Johan.. and his paradox team.. but i doubt that Paradox got the "money" or time to develop something like that.. still.. i would pay my last euro for it.. and paradox could even spam the "DLC Units" or "DLC Maps", because i would trust paradox to make them balanced.. but CA just failes .. and they dont care either.. the only problem is.. they have literally NO serious rivals..

I think i will just open a new thread regarding this issue in another subforum..

Still.. looking forward for EU4!

Yeah, but the series would be a little too similar, imo. Think of the nightmare of getting into the tactical map when playing the strategy map in real time. CA uses a simpler template on strategy, with a turn based system, to get around such a mess, and with Paradox games, I wouldn't want strategy map immersion sacrificed for something another competitor does already.
Also note the welcoming embrace Paradox has for modders, while CA have gradually stepped away from the modding community in its entire. In Empire and Napoleon, total conversions were possible. In Shougun, all you can do is reskin and change some unit stats...