• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ahh, a Duke of Wellington AAR. I'll definitely be following, even if I'm not familiar with the game. I played some EU2 (it was nice but didn't captivate me like EU3 did) but haven't bought FtG - and I'm not sure I will. But no way I'm going to miss an AAR from this author no matter the game. Feel free to show enough impressive stuff to change my mind about the game if you're so inclined :D

Very well done with Russia (even if winter did most of the job)! Now you should probably try to take Skane, Gotland and maybe Jamtland (its not Baltic, but you do have a core on it).

Keep Ostlandet for later, you can alway retake it as easily as you did in this war.;)
Good advice. Ostlandet will fall again.

Silly Russians forgetting about old man winter like that. He's always an able and willing participant to war in those parts.

Of course, I am jealous of your huge navy, masses of troops and Gustav. What I could do with those in Scotland. ;)

Keep up the pressure on Denmark.
They would be amazing for your Scottish wars. But I'm sure the Scottish spirit will prevail. A shame to see Russia act as they did.

That clip is from Lars Von Tier's Riget, by the way.

Will you absorb Norway?
I will take it eventually. If I want to control all the Baltic I have to take Copenhagen and that means taking all of Denmark's provinces.

In EU2 I'd usually take all ugric-cultured provinces from Russia in the 1617 scenario ;).

But given your objectives, it was a good choice to get rid of them as soon as possible. Denmark is easy as pie when you're Sweden :D
I'd like to have taken them. But frankly I didn't have the money or manpower to wage war on Russia yet.

General Winter gets his revenge upon the Russians...now it will be much easier to crush the danes. Do you have unified scandanavian culture? or is it swedish, danish, and norweigan?
It is just one culture for all of Scandinavia in vanilla FtG.

Easy victory against the Ruskies. :D
It sure was.

It's always disappointing to see the AI fail so miserably with attrition, but especially a Russia AI... :rolleyes: I was also hoping for a bit more of naval challenge from the Danes, what size is their fleet?
You'd hope that the Russian ai would know. But as it is they haven't a clue. You're echoing my sentiments exactly about the Danish fleet. Numbers are in the update.

Congrats on the victory good sir! And it looks as if your attack on the perfidious Danes also progresses well!
Thanks. The attack does progress very well, a little too well I feel :(

Cool a new Duke AAR in a new game:), this I'll most definitely be watching. Smash the Danes! Long live Gustav! Silly Russians:rolleyes:
Excellent sentiments there. Thanks for reading.

This is unfortunate to see since it means the AI has not been improve to the point of being able to give the player a real challenge anywhere where winter is a factor.:(

Joe
Sieging two provinces is an improvement as far as I can remember. Sieging two in winter absolutely negates that improvement.

I like gameplay AARs. You have done well so far. I will continue watching. :)

(This post brought to you by short declarative sentences).
I like this comment. Keep enjoying ;)

You should've seen the look on my face when I saw a new Duke of Wellington AAR :D
Always glad to keep my readers happy.

Gutavus is a very good general, 50,000 dead and not a finger lifted! :D
He is that awesome.

G2A is a beast in battles as well. :p
Battles? You mean actually fighting? I didn't know that happened in wars.

Always Vasa. ;)
He is very nice to have around.

Ahh, a Duke of Wellington AAR. I'll definitely be following, even if I'm not familiar with the game. I played some EU2 (it was nice but didn't captivate me like EU3 did) but haven't bought FtG - and I'm not sure I will. But no way I'm going to miss an AAR from this author no matter the game. Feel free to show enough impressive stuff to change my mind about the game if you're so inclined :D
This war was a little disappointing. But it has not been representative of my experiences overall. I highly recommend buying FtG. but if you weren't really grabbed by EU2 then don't expect EU2.5 to be miraculous for you either.

shield_swe.png

The war with Russia ended after being rather a non-event. I had feared their hordes would be enough to overwhelm my large and undermanned eastern border. It wasn't so. Certainly if I had been playing a more temperate location then I think it would be a different story.

Turning my attention fully to Denmark I find the war to be going well. My faithful little ally Mecklenburg is carrying out a standard, but competent, offensive by continuing to lay siege to Holstein and maintaining the blockade of Copenhagen. The main action occurs as my force head over the narrow straits and attack the Danish forces defending the capital.
ScreenSave25.jpg

After the battle is won Denmark sees the writing on the wall and offers money to get out of the war their ally started. I however see an opportunity for more and refuse the offer.
ScreenSave26.jpg

The sieges of Skane and Copenhagen are soon underway. The remnants of Denmark's Norwegian army lays siege to Oslo. Too little too late.
ScreenSave27.jpg

Denmark come grovelling with another offer. More attractive, but still not enough.
ScreenSave28.jpg

After Holstein is captured by Mecklenburg they generously offer us cash for peace. Not seeing any other possible gains I accept. It would have been nice to annex but since Mecklenburg controls the province and they are already a vassal of Denmark I can ask for no more.
ScreenSave29.jpg

I'm now aiming to take control of more or less anything that belongs to Denmark. Tidying up the peripheries is a chore I get onto first so I send Gustav off for a cruise of the Baltic. First point of departure Gotland.
ScreenSave30.jpg

ScreenSave31.jpg

Before too long Stockholm is under control. At last the Danish fleet makes an appearance in the Sund. Where they sit and do nothing.
ScreenSave32.jpg

ScreenSave33.jpg

The capture of Copenhagen reveals that the dastardly Danes have colonies in Greenland. Sure to be an annoying piece of land to grab later I decide that now is the time to seize them. Fortunately my fleet is to the north of the Danish fleet so without any complications I am able to detach a small transport fleet with a contingent of cavalry. Uncontested they are soon riding around Reykjavik and then back on board the Sweden cruise lines as they head to the icy, but scenic Danish colonies of Greenland.
ScreenSave34.jpg

Back on the mainland its the same old story. Gotland and Jamtland are now under my control.
ScreenSave35.jpg

ScreenSave36.jpg

The 'war' (if such a one sided affair may be called that) is decidedly going my way.
ScreenSave38.jpg

Denmark offers a nice peace deal.
ScreenSave39.jpg

And I accept. All of their colonies pluc Gotland, Skane, Jamtland and Narvik. Only Narvik is not a core or a colony so I don't even pick up much BB for the nice deal.
screensave40.gif

That reduces the number of Baltic provinces I need to reach my goal by two. However more importantly the Danes have lost a lot of provinces. If I am to take all the Baltic provinces I much taken Copenhagen so that will require eventually reducing them to one province for annexation or possibly vassalisation but who really wants to take the slow route?

Overall the war was a bit disappointing. I am of course happy to win but the ai didn't put up much fight. Obviously Russia's handling of the snows was pretty poor. On the plus side at least they laid siege to two provinces instead of just one as they use to. Denmark was a disappointment for their failure to use their navy. It was smaller than mine and Mecklenburg's yet it could have at least prevented the complete bloackade which allowed me to waltz around the Sund as I so pleased. I hope this was just a one time glitch but we shall see, this will not be the last war.​

Danish AI is incompetent in most FTG games I played, and that's a pity. Nice gains. One little nitpick: it's not Stockholm that came under your control but Copenhagen, I think ;).

Well, you did a number on Denmark nonetheless. It shouldn't be too hard to finish them off in short order, depending on their alliances.

Last edited:
Impressive victory even though neither the Russian nor the Danes managed to put up much of a fight. Now that you got Skåne and Gotland, the Danes will be even easier to deal with!

I haven't had any serious naval battles playing Venice but my plan when I face a country that could possible have a large navy is to split my navy into smaller fleets. Nothing suicidal just more 'realistic' than keeping them in one giant killer fleet. Don't know if this will even the odds but it might give the AI a chance. Of course if they just sit there and do nothing...:D

Joe

In my own game as Russia I am going to give the AI a C- for dealing with snow as individual countries. However, my experience was that if you are fighting several different countries, they still have a tendency to all pile into the same province, even if one large country might spread itself out over two or three provinces. I presume this is because the AI's don't cooperate.

Go Sweden!

Those are horrible, horrible borders. You should give the rightfully Danish territories back to the Oldenburg State instead of following the whims of Swedish Imperialism such as Paradox portrays it (that Sweden starts with cores on Scania and Jämtland is outrageous).

Or you could just as well continue and unite Scandinavia ;)

I guess the inferior Danish AI washed over from the EU2 source code to make all a bit easier for Sweden! :D

Good job with Russia and Denmark was indeed a non-event.