• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Gokul the Young - February 1140

20230314111023_1.jpg

The day was one of those rare ones where Gokul the Young was seen outside his favorite place: the observatory at Surya Durbar. On this particular day, the Raja of Nepal was rewarding certain people alongside his wife Damayanti.

20230316181723_1.jpg

The first name to be called out by Mayor Adwaita of Marpha, the raja's steward, was that of Amogh Samal. The Damapati of Kamalamai had been serving the realm well as the spymaster ever since he had been appointed. He had rooted out several plots within the kingdom and placed a well-connected network of spies to monitor the activity the neighboring rulers and the strength of their armies.

20230316181728_1.jpg

"Amogh Samal, you and your wife are already been blessed with three sons." Mayor Adwaita's voice boomed across the throne room. "You truly are a blessed man for the raja and rani reward you for your excellent service in these past five years."

20230316183035_1.jpg

The second man in line for royal rewards was Pujari Binaya of Devghat, who had recently published a book on medicine. Raja Gokul, being a scholarly man himself, was impressed by the pujari's knowledge and even appointed Binaya as the Court Physician of Nepal that day.

20230316183934_1.jpg

A blond Jewish man was the third person in line. Nasan Ben David had arrived in Kathmandu just three months ago as a representative of Radhanite merchants. Impressed by the Jewish man's work at the trade office in Janakpur, the Raja of Nepal now appointed him as the Mayor of Birgunj. This decision would lead to the growth of a small Jewish community in the city of Birgunj just as Dhankuta had become home for the kingdom's Han Chinese community.

20230314110521_1.jpg

Lastly, the names of three military men were announced by Mayor Adwaita to the royal couple. Chang Shi, Sanjay and Sarat had been the commanders at the Battle of Kandra against Karluk raiders.

20230314110305_1.jpg

The Kingdom of Nepal, which under its previous ruler Vamadeva the Wise had raided almost all of its neighbors, got a taste of its own medicine on 25 May 1139 when 1,000 Karluk Turks led by Shumul Karakhanid started pillaging Jharkand.

20230314110515_1.jpg

Shumul's host was routed on 6 September 1139 at the Battle of Kandra by the Nepali army. The Turks, through the use of horse archers, managed to inflict some early damage on Nepali light infantry and archers but were eventually defeated. The raiders lost nearly 300 men while the Nepali army suffered around 150 casualties.

"Your grace, if I may speak freely, you need to make a show of strength." Sanjay said out loud after receiving his reward.

"The Turks dare attack us because they think we are weak, your majesty." Sarat added.

20230316191850_1.jpg

"Marshal, keep your men in line." Mayor Adwaita glared at Prabhu Gopi Malla of Gorkha.

"I hope my brother-in-law does not take offense at what the men said but I too believe what they are saying is true." Prabhu Gopi said to the raja.

"Your highness, I agree with the Lord of Gorkha." Pujari Binaya chimed in. "It pains me to say this but you are know more as a scholar than a raja."

"Raja, you need to show the world the might of our kingdom!" Gopi's voice grew louder with each word.

"What are my options?" Gokul the Young sighed at the thought of becoming a warmonger.

20230314111547_1.jpg

"We should go to war with the strongest realm in the neighborhood to show our strength." Gopi said while Amogh wrapped open a map of the Somavamsi Kingdom. "Our battles with the Oriya will be legendary and remembered for ages."

20230316193723_1.jpg

"The Somavamsi have an army of 10,000. There will be no one to celebrate our glory if we go to war with them." Mayor Adwaita scoffed as Amogh unwrapped another map. "I suggest that the raja declare war on the Kalachuris in order to make them his vassals."

"I will make my decision after the court votes on this matter." Raja Gokul sighed once again.

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Voting session. There are three options this time -

A. Declare Subjugation War on the Somavamsi (they have a larger army than us)

B. Declared Forced Vassalization War on the Kalachuri

C. No War

Things to remember before you vote -

1. Newcomers must select a Player Character. I will now be providing a list of them in the next post.

2. Make sure to have "Player Character Name - February 1140" before voting In Character. You should also include your Player Character portrait which wil be provided below.

3. @Warlord Skorr and @HistoryDude , you both get +2 votes (damapati and councilor).

Voting session ends on Thursday March 23, 2023.

Reactions:
Player Character Updates - February 1140

@Warlord Skorr , once Little Champak, your an old man now. Your second wife Kamalika died of poor health on 11 July 1135 at the age of 36 but you married a third woman named Sureshi. Your son Chakra wants to get married (I will provide save file for brides). Here are the portraits -

20230316202556_1.jpg

20230316202607_1.jpg

20230316202612_1.jpg

20230316202619_1.jpg

@Idhrendur , here is Adrika's new portrait -

20230316203652_1.jpg

@HistoryDude , here is Amogh's new portrait -

1678978566429.png

Attachments

• Nepal1140_02_04.ck2
    50,4 MB · Views: 0
Reactions:
List of Selectable Player Characters on February 1140

20230316204201_1.jpg

20230316204230_1.jpg

20230316204233_1.jpg

20230316204236_1.jpg

20230316204242_1.jpg

20230316204245_1.jpg

20230316204249_1.jpg

20230316204252_1.jpg

20230316204254_1.jpg

Note: If you do not like any of the above characters (who are already at my court), you can select a character who can join my court. For this, download the save file I have shared and in Find Character, go to Search All and toggle Join Court to 'Yes'.

If your Player Character is someone who can join my court, you should post the following and I will give you their character portrait -

Name:
Dynasty:
if they have one
Culture:
Realm:

Attachments

• Nepal1140_02_04.ck2
    50,4 MB · Views: 0
Reactions:
Chang Shi February 1140

View attachment 957557

If the offer to join the court still stands, I would like to play as Chang Shi. As a military man, I would like the war with the most prestige, subjugate Somavasi. Could you review my traits and modifiers so that in the future, I may better vote in character. As to wanting a bride, would you mind hitting the two gold bands and giving me the top choice as a bride. CK-Harmony produces good storylines. Thank you for this unique story.

If the offer to join the court still stands, I would like to play as Chang Shi. As a military man, I would like the war with the most prestige, subjugate Somavasi. Could you review my traits and modifiers so that in the future, I may better vote in character. As to wanting a bride, would you mind hitting the two gold bands and giving me the top choice as a bride. CK-Harmony produces good storylines. Thank you for this unique story.
OOC: Yes, you can join the court. Welcome, friend. I will add Chang Shi to the List of Player Characters.

Aye, I will try to give up heads up in Player Character Updates. Here are the top choices for your marriage -

20230318202804_1.jpg

I would still suggest that you make an In-Character Voting post before Thursday, March 23 2023.

Things to note for Chang Shi -

1. Chang Shi has Mangal Kathmandu, another commander, as his rival. Actually, literally everyone in the Kingdom of Nepal has a low opinion of the Chinese man.
2. In-Character, this would be because Chang Shi slew Regent Zhao Xilie, a Chinese prince, at the First Battle of Dohrighat.
3. Chang Shi became a prisoner of war in the aftermath of said battle and Prabhu Gopi Malla of Gorkha (who became the regent after Zhao Xilie was killed) pardoned the man and got him to join the court (since Chang Shi is a great warrior and the Chinese man had indirectly helped House Malla).

Last edited:
Reactions:
Chancellor Champak of Lalitpur - February 1140
20230316202556_1.jpg

If Mayor Adwaita doubts the capacity of Prabhu Gopi to bring us victory, let him name a Marshal he would trust. For my part, I trust my brother unreservedly. Even with his personal war against the Buddhists clinging to what they still hold of Nepal, we shall triumph.

Further, does the Steward pretend to ignorance of what is happening in Bengal? Does he imagine that we would be safer when the dullard Maharaja of Orissa completes his subjugation of another great realm?

Orissa must be brought to heel, whatever the cost. Rally the Qilin Company to your banner and strike before the chance has passed to save the Pala from subjugation.

For my own concerns, I ask the Raja for his blessing for the marriage of my son Chakra Malla to Gangambuka Kalyani Chalukya and his consent for my daughter's marriage to his friend Ratish Suryavamsa.

(OOC: Vote A +2. Marry Gangambuka Kalyani Chalukya to Chakra Malla and Bhanuni Malla to Ratish Suryavamsa.
Gopi Malla is getting rather bold in his power. Hopefully the Orissan lords prove a useful counterweight so the ambitions of the next generation doesn't lead to open war.
Also, my AI has good taste in women. Dat Stewardship!)

• 1Like
Reactions:
OOC: Yes, you can join the court. Welcome, friend. I will add Chang Shi to the List of Player Characters.

Aye, I will try to give up heads up in Player Character Updates. Here are the top choices for your marriage -

View attachment 958376

I would still suggest that you make an In-Character Voting post before Thursday, March 23 2023.

Things to note for Chang Shi -

1. Chang Shi has Mangal Kathmandu, another commander, as his rival. Actually, literally everyone in the Kingdom of Nepal has a low opinion of the Chinese man.
2. In-Character, this would be because Chang Shi slew Regent Zhao Xilie, a Chinese prince, at the First Battle of Dohrighat.
3. Chang Shi became a prisoner of war in the aftermath of said battle and Prabhu Gopi Malla of Gorkha (who became the regent after Zhao Xilie was killed) pardoned the man and got him to join the court (since Chang Shi is a great warrior and the Chinese man had indirectly helped House Malla).
Chang Shi February 1140
I will take door #2. Sarica with an partiality to chicks and a desire for a ruler promises to be high maintenance. Gulçiçek, with 13D and 12L, can help me in areas that I am less than great. With a scar and only one leg, she should be appreciative. She is also well groomed. With both being wrong culture/wrong religion, they will have to work together to prevent being on the margins of society.
Bring on the Somavasi, so that my sword may cleave a path through your enemies.

Amogh of Kamalamai

Surya 1.png

Amogh believes that taking a massive risk is a bad idea, but he also thinks that a war would help unite Nepal. He thinks that attacking the weaker target is a good plan.

(Vote B)

• 1Like
Reactions:
First Sun-Moon War (1140 - 1142)

20230322095220_1.jpg

The Suryavamsa Thakuris of Nepal considered themselves restorers of the Solar Dynasty. The Somavamsis of Orissa, by their very name, claimed to be descendants of Chandra the Hindu moon god. As such, the conflict between the two dynasties is often referred to as the 'First Sun-Moon War'.

20230322094422_1.jpg

The First Sun-Moon War officially began on 14 May 1140 with the Kingdom of Nepal declaring war on the Somavamsi Kingdom but Nepali raja Gokul the Young and his court had been already planning to launch the war four months prior. Their plans had to be postponed for four months due to a peasant revolt. The leader of this uprising was a 25 years old man named Vigrahapala, a Bengali soldier who had served in the Nepali army and seen combat at the Battle of Sarnath (1131) as a 16 years old recruit during the War of the Boy Kings (1128 - 1131).

Vigrahapala's peasant army initially started as a defence force against Karluk Muslim raider Shumul Karakhanid's host. The Turks might have been routed at the Battle of Kandra (1139) but they still remained within the borders of the Kingdom of Nepal and pillaged Bengali-majority settlements. The Bengali peasants of Magadha, who already had many greviances the Nepali ruling class, decided that the Karluk raid was the final straw. They armed themselves, against both the Turkic raiders and the oppressive government, and asked Vigrahapala to lead them in battle. Though Shumul was a skilled tactician and his men had more combat experience, they were overwhelmed by Vigrahapala's angry peasant mob and finally forced to leave.

20230322094936_1.jpg

In Kathmandu, the court saw the peasant uprising in Magadha as nothing more than a nuisance that forced their invasion of the Somavamsi Kingdom to be delayed. Gokul the Young, on the other hand, got the brilliant idea of destabilizing the Somavamsi Kingdom when he heard news of Vigrahapal's rebellion. Amogh Samal of Kamalamai, the Spymaster of Nepal, was tasked with finding someone who would be willing to aid in the assassination of Somavamsi Maharaja Prtihivarman the Cruel. Amogh managed to establish contact with Thakurani Lakshmikaradevi Matsya of Kalinganagar, a vssal of the Cruel who hated him for seizing her lands in Rayapura.

20230322095133_1.jpg

The Somavamsi dynasty had launched an invasion of its Buddhist neighbors, the Pala Kingdom, and the Cruel was busy laying siege to Mallabhum. Lakshmikaradevi bribed a bowman in the Somavamsi army and the deed was done on 20 April 1140. Everyone believed that the arrow had fired by a Pala soldier during the siege. Immediately following their maharaja's death, many Oriya soldiers started to desert the Somavamsi army in large numbers. Prithivarman the Cruel was succeeded by his four years old son Sivananda II.

20230322095033_1.jpg

Just four days before the death of the Somavamsi maharaja, Vigrahapala's rebellion was put to its end as well after loyalist victory at the Battle of Pataliputra. Of the 3,000 rebels present at the fighting, nearly 2,000 of them were slain at the battlefield. The 4,000 men strong Nepali army, on the other hand, suffered only around 300 casualties that day. Vigrahapala would be captured two months later and die in Raja Gokul's dungeons on 26 June 1140. With the end of the peasant uprising, the Kingdom of Nepal now focused on their war with the Somavamsi dynasty.

Nepali formation.jpg

Nepali formation at the Battle of Chinsura

Chancellor Champak Malla of Lalitpur suggested to the Raja of Nepal to hire the Qilin Company but Gokul the Young decided that it was too expensive. Nonetheless, much cheaper mercenaries from the Marathi Band were still hired for the war against the Somavamsi Kingdom. The Nepali army was ordered to march all the way to Chinsura, a city within the borders of the Pala Kingdom, to engage the enemy.

Sanjay had been appointed the overall commander of the Nepali army and thus, despite his skills as a flanker, he remained at the center with war elephants and archers. At the vanguard of right flank were pikemen led by Chang Shi the Jittery while Captain Sovideva of the Marathi Band and his mercenaries were at the vanguard of the left flank. Right behind Chang Shi's pikemen, Ratish Suryavamsa was on horseback as the commander of the light cavalry units. Sarat's mixed unit of light and heavy infantry were positioned behind Sanjay's war elephants and archers. The Bharatput regiment, led by Mangal Kathmandu, had been placed behind the Marathi mercenaries. Mayor Sunit of Bhaktapur and Aparajita, a Marathi mercenary, were in charge of the reserves.

Somavamsi formation at Battle of Chinsura.jpg

Somavamsi formation at the Battle of Chinsura

The center of the Somavamsi army was led by Mayor Nettabhanja the Hunter of Shivapura with Chinese prince Zhao Zhizhong at the left flank and Raja Sarabha Nagavamsi, a Somavamsi vassal, at the right flank. Rajkumars Sailobhava, Sivananda's uncle and heir to the Somavamsi throne, and Kanchana, the second in line to the throne, were in command of the Oriya reserves.

On the morning of 18 September 1140, the battle started with the Somavamsi flanks moving foward while the centers of both sides exchanged hails of arrows. Zhao Zhizhong's unit was stopped by Chang Shi's pikemen and then Ratish's cavalry charged into the weakened Somavamsi left flank. Zhao Zhizhong and his men retreated moments after the battle had started.

The Somavamsi center and right flank, on the other hand, were much more successful. The Hunter's assault inflicted heavy casualties on Nepali archers and the Somavamsi center even managed to fell 5 enemy war elephants. This forced Sanjay to send his archers and war elephants back. He then ordered Sarat's mixed unit of light and heavy infantry forward and this finally stopped the Hunter's men from moving further. Meanwhile, the Somavamsi right flank actually managed to pierce through the lines of Marathi mercenaries and reach the Bharatpur regiment. Nagavamsi bannermen then routed them as well, forcing Sanjay to send the reserves to reinforce the Nepali left flank.

The Nepali center was at the risk of collapsing from the Hunter's relentless assaults and was saved just in the nick of time by Chang Shi's pikemen and Ratish's light cavalry enveloping the Somavamsi center. At the same time as this happened, Raja Sarabha's men routed even the enemy reserves sent to reinforce the Nepali left flank. There was a very real threat of the Nagavamsi attacking the vulnerable Nepali center. However, Mayor Nettabhanja gave up before any of that could happen and ordered all Somavamsi units to retreat; making the battle a Nepali victory. Both sides lost around 3,000 men in the Battle of Chinsura.

Battle of Chinsura.png

After their defeat in Chinsura, the Somavamsi army left Pala territory and returned home to recover their strength. The Nepali army followed the trail of their enemy, hoping to strike again quickly. Three months later, on 12 December 1140, the two sides fought the second battle of the war at the coastal city of Puri.

Somavamsi formation at First Battle of Puri.jpg

Somavamsi formation at the First Battle of Puri

When the Nepali invaders arrived at Puri, the defenders hastily assembled into formation. Mayor Nettabhanja the Hunter was at the vanguard of the Somavamsi army. The left flank bore the banners of House Nagavamsi while Zhao Zhizhong commanded the right flank. Mayor Saktivarman of Buguda was in charge of the center and finally, the reserves were under the command of Rajkumar Sailobhava.

The battle began with the entire Nepali right flank attacking Nagavamsi bannermen. After the Battle of Chinsura, Raja Sarabha and his men were deemed to be the most dangerous units within the Somavamsi army and the commanders of the Nepali army wished to see them eliminated first. It did not take long for Raja Sarabha to order his men to retreat.

The Hunter's vanguard initially had some success at assaulting the enemy center but was eventually forced to retreat. Marathi mercenaries managed to chase away Zhao Zhizhong's men from the battlefield as well. Mayor Saktivarman and Rajkumar Sailobhav followed other Somavamsi commanders and the battle was another Nepali victory. The invaders lost around 1400 men while the defenders suffered over 2,000 casualties.

First Battle of Puri.png

The final battle of the war would take place on Puri once again. The Somvamsi army arrived at the coastal city on 3 December 1141 to end the Nepali occupation and a battle ensued.

Somavamsi formation at Second Battle of Puri.jpg

Somavamsi formation at the First Battle of Puri

The Somavamsi vanguard was once again under the command of Mayor Nettabhanja the Hunter. Nagavamsi bannermen were positioned on the left flank and Zhao Zhizhong's unit was on the right flank while Mayor Saktivarman commanded at the center. Rajkumars Sailobhava and Kanchana were in charge of the reserves.

Captain Sovideva's Marathi Band quickly routed the Somavamsi right flank after Zhao Zhizhong was captured as prisoner of war. This was followed by Chang Shi's devastating charge on the Somavamsi left flank which forced the Nagavamsi to withdraw from battle. Having witnessed the destruction of the left flank and capture of Zhao Zhizhong on the right flank, the panicked Somavamsi rajkumars decided to flee the battlefield instead of supporting their collapsed flanks. With continuous enemy assaults from all sides, the Somavamsi center could not fight any longer and the battle was yet another Nepali victory. Around 200 Nepali soldiers and Marathi mercenaries died in the Second Battle of Puri while the Somavamsi losses were over 700.

Second Battle of Puri.png

Three months later, Somavamsi rajkumars Sailobhava and Kanchana signed the peace treaty with Gokul the Young on behalf of their six years old kinsman Sivananda II. The boy was to become a vassal of the Nepali raja and forced to cede his title of maharaja. Gokul, already the Raja of Nepal and Bihar, was crowned the Raja of Orissa as well. In return, the two Somavamsi men and Sivananda II were allowed to keep their titles as rajkumars and were to be treated as such.

20230322103803_1.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Gokul the Young - April 1142

20230322104808_1.jpg

"Welcome to the council, prabhu." Raja Gokul the Young of Nepal smiled at Prabhu Hemantavarman the Bold of Daksina Kosala. "Take your seat."

"Thank you, your grace." The Oriya man said as he sat down.

20230325161603_1.jpg

Mayor Adwaita of Marpha was recently convinced by his raja to resign as the royal steward in order to placate the kingdom's Oriya subjects with a seat at the council. The mayor had been offended by this gesture and a visit to Marpha was on the raja's to-do list. For the past few days, his headache had been more with which Oriya lord to give a position in the council. The choice had been between Hemantavarman and his older brother Prabhu Sarabha Nagavamsi. While Sarabha was clearly the better man to become the royal steward, he had little to no friends among Nepali lords and the courtiers in Kathmandu. In the end, Gokul decided to appoint Hemantavarman over his elder brother. If he had any displeasure, Sarabha did not show it.

"Is everyone here?" The Raja asked Chancellor Champak Malla of Lalitpur.

20230325161532_1.jpg

"Your majesty, Lord Amogh is absent." The chancellor said in his weak voice. He was now an old man suffering from cancer. "His mother passed away last night."

"So, depression finally got Lady Adrika." Gokul murmured. "Rest her soul."

20230322104620_1.jpg

• 1Love
Reactions:
Player Character Updates - April 1142

@Idhrendur , Lady Adrika died of her depression on 16 April 1142 at the age of 76. House Samal's characters should be under @HistoryDude 's control so I highly recommend that you pick a new character. You now have the Golden Ability which is not given to newcomers. You can pick a character who is already my vassal (this excludes members of Houses Malla and Samal though) if you wish rather than just starting from scratch as a nobody. It's your choice and I have linked the save file below. Also, biography coming soon.

20230322104620_1.jpg

@Warlord Skorr , you are suffering from cancer now. You also wish to see your unlanded son get a title but I have no extra lands to give right now unfortunately. Here is your new portrait -

1679743843766.png

@HistoryDude , Amogh's mother died. You could roleplay that. Here is your new portrait -

20230325161557_1.jpg

@Midnite Duke , Chang Shi's wife Gulcicek is now pregnant. Congrats! Here are the portraits -

20230322104845_1.jpg

20230322104900_1.jpg

Attachments

• Nepal1142_04_17.ck2
    51 MB · Views: 0
  • 1Like
Reactions:
List of Selectable Player Characters on April 1142

20230322104925_1.jpg

20230322104928_1.jpg

20230322104930_1.jpg

20230322104934_1.jpg

20230322104936_1.jpg

20230322104942_1.jpg

20230322104944_1.jpg

20230322104946_1.jpg

Note: If you do not like any of the above characters (who are already at my court), you can select a character who can join my court. For this, download the save file I have shared and in Find Character, go to Search All and toggle Join Court to 'Yes'.

If your Player Character is someone who can join my court, you should post the following and I will give you their character portrait -

Name:
Dynasty:
if they have one
Culture:
Realm:

Attachments

• Nepal1142_04_17.ck2
    51 MB · Views: 0
Reactions:
Chancellor Champak of Lalitpur - April 1142
1679743843766.png
I come to warn the young Raja of a legal issue. The succession laws of Orissa are not in accordance with our own. Renouncing the title would effectively be a declaration of war against the Orissan lords, thus the only viable solution is to sent me to influence the former Mahararaja's son. Diffuse him as a figurehead for separatists and we might be able to bring their laws in line with ours. We can avoid division and weakness, my lord. I beg you to allow me to do the realm this last service before even Binaya's treatments fail to preserve me!

I recommend the Raja marry his nephew Gopi to Rajamati Kacchapaghata to further secure the succession. I ask, if land cannot be had, that my son Nirav be married to Anantadevi Seuna Yadava to build his own legacy. Lastly, when I at last pass on, I ask the Raja to consider Chakra Malla as the Court Tutor. My son is a learned and virtuous man who will serve as a fine teacher.

(OOC: Let me know if I am backseat-gaming too much.)