• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Iconoplasty

Recruit
14 Badges
Nov 30, 2020
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Surviving Mars
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
Description
Water in lakes not rendering properly

Mac

Steam

What is your game version?

Do you have Space Race installed?
Yes

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
Lakes (at least the huge ones) are rendering without water. It looks like the sprite is being rendered in the wrong spot, because I can make the "shine" of sun on the water appear in weird places on the map by scrolling and zooming. I can repeat this with multiple lakes, although the "shine" sprite only seems to appear on screen once at any given time.

MacOS 10.15.7 on a 16" Macbook Pro 2019
AMD Radeon Pro 5600M 8 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Can you replicate the issue?
The issue persists between restarts of the game. Not sure whether that counts as replicating the problem.

Attachments
File(s) attached

Attachments

• shot1.jpg
    shot1.jpg
    591,4 KB · Views: 0
  • shot2.jpeg
    shot2.jpeg
    307,3 KB · Views: 0
  • shot3.jpeg
    shot3.jpeg
    317,1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unfortunately this is an unfixed bug on the Mac version of the game.

Please use this mod to get past it:

Sorry about that!

Unfortunately this is an unfixed bug on the Mac version of the game.

Please use this mod to get past it:

I read over that bug report, and the comments around the reply suggesting the mod: that doesn't seem to be even remotely the same symptoms I'm having. Is it really the same bug? My FPS is fine.. and the lakes in question are not frozen.

What I'm seeing is the game displaying the water sprite in the wrong place. The three screenshots I included show the problem pretty clearly. In the first, there's a lake that the game says is 100% full that appears to have no water in it. In the second, I've zoomed out a tiny bit, and there's the water way off to the right of the lake. In the third, I've zoomed way out to the scanning screen, and there's the water sprite still in the same relative position (relative to the window) at the same size covering a huge chunk of the map.

Last edited:
That first screenshot of yours is how the lake looks with that mod in place - are you sure you don't have it already?

But I can't account for the displaced water. Does this happen in every new game you play? Or just in one particular one?

That first screenshot of yours is how the lake looks with that mod in place - are you sure you don't have it already?

I definitely do not have that mod installed (I'm not using any mods).

But I can't account for the displaced water. Does this happen in every new game you play? Or just in one particular one?

This is the first time I've played it on a Mac in a while.. so I'm not sure. I can follow up once I get that far in a second game. Seems reasonable to assume it'll happen again though, since this was the first game played in a fresh install of the game, in a freshly installed OS, on a brand new machine. No opportunity for bitrot to corrupt a game.

I'm about 200 days into a game on my iMac and my lake looks exactly like the one in your first screenshot, no displaced water.

Any chance you could try the mod I linked above anyway?

Any chance you could try the mod I linked above anyway?

I'm not sure why I would do that. I don't have the problem the mod is intended to solve ... and I already have at least part of the result that the mod promises. What would trying it out prove? Seems like a waste of time to me, and a LOT of time, since lakes are a relatively late-game thing. It would be good if you gave me some idea of what your thinking is about how that would be helpful.

You'll note that a week has gone by and I'm not even far enough into a game to test whether the problem I saw is repeatable.

Can you please attach here a copy of the problem game. I'd like to see whether it causes the problem on my Mac and/or Windows. Thanks.

I am also suffering from this bug. I have attached a savegame and screenshot showing the problem. The full lake at high altitude renders as if it is empty (apart from a small bit of water on the right). The half-full lake at high altitude, and the lake at low altitude render properly.

Attachments

• screenshot1.jpg
    screenshot1.jpg
    1,2 MB · Views: 0
  • Paradox Interactive Sol 133.savegame.sav
    37,4 MB · Views: 0
Hi, I’m having the same issue on Mac (lake visibility) and I can’t find the lake mod anymore on the link above.
I can’t find it as well in mods library when the game is launched.

Hi, I’m having the same issue on Mac (lake visibility) and I can’t find the lake mod anymore on the link above.
I can’t find it as well in mods library when the game is launched.
You might try contacting @ChoGGi_2 directly in the Steam workshop - good luck with that!

Sorry for the late reply, but that's a rendering issue. A mod can't fix it (that I know of).

That fix mod is for an issue fixed back in 2019, I hid it so people with this issue aren't installing it.

Reactions:
Sorry for the late reply, but that's a rendering issue. A mod can't fix it (that I know of).

That fix mod is for an issue fixed back in 2019, I hid it so people with this issue aren't installing it.
Can you please unhide it, @ChoGGi_2 ? I made the mistake of unsubscribing from the mod, in the hope that the rendering & performance issues had been fixed, but it turns out they have not and are exactly as bad as they were years ago (screenshot attached as an example). The game is completely unplayable without your mod - as you can see, I can't even see most of my colony, and - even aside from the visual problems - it drops from ~40 FPS to ~1 FPS without the mod. None of the game's visual settings make any difference; there is no workaround but the mod.

Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 10.02.55 am.png