• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My goodness Killer, dust storms are created & generated by wind!

A wind sufficient to stir up small dust particles is insufficient to power a wind turbine. For a demonstration, take a handful of talcum powder and blow on it. Notice how a cloud of dust will rise. Martian dust storms consist of particles even smaller then talcum powder but it's the smallest object you are likely to have hand. Now take a wind turbine and blow on it. If you dont have a wind turbine convenient, try putting your car in neutral and then blowing on it. Notice how it doesn't move. The grains of talcum powder weigh about a billionth of a gram while the wind turbine blade weighs about 100 million grams. The locomotive force required to stir up millions of particles isn't enough to budget heavy machinery in the least.

A wind sufficient to stir up small dust particles is insufficient to power a wind turbine. For a demonstration, take a handful of talcum powder and blow on it. Notice how a cloud of dust will rise. Martian dust storms consist of particles even smaller then talcum powder but it's the smallest object you are likely to have hand. Now take a wind turbine and blow on it. If you dont have a wind turbine convenient, try putting your car in neutral and then blowing on it. Notice how it doesn't move. The grains of talcum powder weigh about a billionth of a gram while the wind turbine blade weighs about 100 million grams. The locomotive force required to stir up millions of particles isn't enough to budget heavy machinery in the least.
You are so wrong keynes2.0. Neither talcum powder nor any material is a force to move anything. It's the movement of atmosphere - the "blow". What it carries or contains is either purposeful or useless depending on the turbine. "A wind sufficient to stir up small dust particles" may in fact be sufficient to power a wind turbine wherein any particle is not the force.

Last edited:
You are so wrong keynes2.0. Neither talcum powder nor any material is a force to move anything. It's the movement of atmosphere - the "blow". What it carries or contains is either purposeful or useless depending on the turbine. "A wind sufficient to stir up small dust particles" may in fact be sufficient to power a wind turbine wherein any particle is not the force.

Oh yes, how silly of me to criticize the post that you have now deleted.

xarastier and keynes2.0 : this conversation stops now. Take it to OT if you want to discuss Martian atmospheric physics.

What is OT?

Ok. I'm finished. Off to OT I go. :)

Looks a lot like "Planetbase".

Now this reminds me alittle of what the original Outpost was meant to be. Too little information for me to get excited just yet, buuuut..... if this comes off even a little bit like Outpost (which despite being a buggy hot mess, was tons of fun as a kid) I will be buying it super fast!

I too have hopes for subterranean base building, even if only superficial.

Look like a great game, but please don't tell me there'll be wind turbines. The marsian atmosphere isn't dense enough to have winds with enough force to move them. The dust storms only block sunlight and vision.
Please make it a game that somewhat follow real live physics instead of science-fiction authors who only want to tell a story and nerver looked in a scientific paper.

there is wind turbines and I must say this looks alot like the game planetbase which is also on mars