Surviving Mars - Fails to start (Debian or Devuan stable) [replies say also Ubuntu < 19.04]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Thingy Whatsit

Corporal
24 Badges
Feb 24, 2018
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities in Motion
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
Description
Fails to start (Debian or Devuan stable)
Linux
SteamWhat is your game version?
Current as of 2021-03-18Do you have Space Race installed?
YesPlease explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
Running the game from a terminal (with Steam configured to open an xterm rather than launch the game so that the environment is correctly set up), I get the following:

./MarsSteam: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by ./MarsSteam)

The cause is that it is compiled against a newer version of libc6 than is available in Devuan stable or Debian stable.

The fix is to recompile the game on Debian buster or Devuan beowulf rather than on whatever version of (presumably) Ubuntu was used. Now, obviously, I can't do that…

(Ugh. It's required that I attach a file – and that wasn't clear until I clicked on ‘submit’ – but, as I've pasted the error text above, it's pointless…)Can you replicate the issue?
As it's a linkage problem caused by the build environment, it's 100% reproducible.Attachments
File(s) attached

Attachments

• linkage.txt
    103 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
Could you provide any details on that (which glibc version, which *.so did you put into preload)?

Getting glibc binaries is not hard at all you can download any version from any distributive repository or compile it by yourself from sources. BUT! glibc is not a "regular" library, AFAIK forcing an app to use your own glibc without recompiling an app is far from trivial, my own attempts to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH/LD_PRELOAD with "mars" were failed and I don't have enough time to go further in that way.

Are here any support/devs/etc? Any plans for fix?
I am sending you a private message to a link with some description. Just want to mention that it should work even if it wasn't compiled on your own computer. I got mine from a good natured fellow. I won't link it directly because I still hope the devs will take care of it instead of dismissing the problem with such a workaround available.

The bug report I lodged before is still live and being updated every now and then. No ETA available though, I am sorry.

Today there was an update for the base game in preparation for the new DLC. I still haven't tested everything, but now it starts without using the workaround for glibc. So it seems this bug was fixed, but further testing is advised.

I still haven't tested everything, but now it starts without using the workaround for glibc.
objdump -p …/steam/steamapps/common/Surviving\ Mars/MarsSteam | awk '/GLIBC_/ { print $4 }'

(I haven't downloaded it yet else I'd run that myself.)

I'm mainly interested to see which of GLIBC_2.29 or GLIBC_2.27 are still present – if it's built for Ubuntu 16.04 then it should have neither.

The store page lists Ubuntu 16.04 in the minimum requirements. That release has glibc 2.23.

objdump -p …/steam/steamapps/common/Surviving\ Mars/MarsSteam | awk '/GLIBC_/ { print $4 }'

(I haven't downloaded it yet else I'd run that myself.)

I'm mainly interested to see which of GLIBC_2.29 or GLIBC_2.27 are still present – if it's built for Ubuntu 16.04 then it should have neither.

The store page lists Ubuntu 16.04 in the minimum requirements. That release has glibc 2.23.
GLIBC_2.16 seems to be the latest one listed in the objdump -p output now

• 1Like
Reactions:
I see they've updated the posted minimum requirements to say Ubuntu 16.04 or better - hopefully that's what you folks find works now too!