Surviving Mars - Black screen after terraforming blue sky [Linux]

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

NeoTheFox

Recruit
49 Badges
Jan 11, 2014
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • BATTLETECH
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Prison Architect
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Magicka 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
Description
Black screen after terraforming blue sky

Linux

Steam

What is your game version?
Do you have Space Race installed?
Yes

Please explain your issue is in as much detail as possible.
After the sky should turn blue (?) in the process of transforming the game render turns completely black. Maybe some shader issues? The system info is attached, in short - Arch Linux, Vega 56, Ryzen 1600X, Mesa 20.0.2

Can you replicate the issue?
Just load the savegame with 50% atmosphere on an AMD GPU.

Attachments

Renderdoc capture of the problem in action:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1W_zFtZJaeIMx0KGmqiKb7z35K-6xUg4m?usp=sharing

Attachments

• sysinfo.txt
    2,2 KB · Views: 6
  • screen-survining-mars.jpg
    screen-survining-mars.jpg
    160,6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Upvote 0
MAC-1864
I have now lodged this as a new bug report, and added details from this thread. Thank you for the excellent details!

I cannot at present predict when the next patch will be, I am sorry!

Hi, I also have this same issue (previously under Arch, updated as OP), and now under OpenSUSE:

Kernel: 5.6.4-1.1
Mesa: 20.0.4-248.2
Amdgpu: 19.1.0-2.2

I also attach a savefile just before the issue appears. If you fast forward for a minute you can see the first rain fall over the map (the little trophy appears on the top left), and then the screen goes completely black. I can still see the map for a fraction of a second when opening the menu with escape, and then going back to the game, just before the shader reloads it seems.

Gameversion: 249143
Platform: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed
Store: GOG

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• Mission martienne internationale Sol 4.savegame.sav
    35,4 MB · Views: 0
Same issue here on Manjaro Linux with Steam. Happens on Wayland and Xorg.

Kernel 5.6.15-1
mesa 20.0.7-3
amdgpu 19.1.0-2

Please tell me which additional information I can provide to help you figure this out.

As you can see above this has been reported as a bug. As there have been no new patches released since then, it's not fixed as yet!

Nor have I seen any workaround that anyone's found, say a lower resolution or whatever.

Sorry about that!

Hello.
I just registered to tell you this. Try disabling Bloom in the Video options in-game. It should solve the black screen issue. Got the tip from the Steam forum. Also had the same issue with an AMD APU on Linux. Of course this is still a bug as this shouldn't happen, but at least there is a workaround.

• 1Like
Reactions:
If others could confirm that workaround works for them too, I'll add it to the bug report. Thanks!

Thanks all, added to the bug report!

Hello.
I just registered to tell you this. Try disabling Bloom in the Video options in-game. It should solve the black screen issue. Got the tip from the Steam forum. Also had the same issue with an AMD APU on Linux. Of course this is still a bug as this shouldn't happen, but at least there is a workaround.

I can CONFIRM that this workaround did the job for me. I was just minding my own business and the screen just went black. I went back 4 times to a previos save file and it always ended up doing the same. I disabled bloom like suggested and it worked.

I am also using ubunto 20.4 WITH steam
THANK YOU @tuxintuxedo

Mind my asking.. what is the bloom setting?

Hello.

Thanks a lot for this. Also registered only to thank you. Really appreciated your work to inform us. Sadly the company doesn't have the same respect as you. Either because doesn't make a patch (3 months, c'mon!) or can't figure out what was causing to make literally unplayable in their own game.